Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I guess that past grievances party a huge role. That's true. I wish people were not so divisive.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited March 2021
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I don't think this is a fair take from you. This article speaks of unaccompanied minors. Under Trump they actively separated minors from their parents as a matter of policy.

I still think those unaccompanied minors should be put in age appropriate accommodations as fast as reasonably possible, but you are drawing an equivalence between people creating a bad situation and people trying to handle an existing bad situation. It is a really poor take IMO.
    edited March 2021
    Ammar wrote: »

I don't think this is a fair take from you. This article speaks of unaccompanied minors. Under Trump they actively separated minors from their parents as a matter of policy.

I still think those unaccompanied minors should be put in age appropriate accommodations as fast as reasonably possible, but you are drawing an equivalence between people creating a bad situation and people trying to handle an existing bad situation. It is a really poor take IMO.

This is no news at all at CNN. I just think there's a fair bit of hypocrisy going on is all. I'm no Trump fan and he handled the immigration thing pretty poorly, but we're going to see very quickly that there is no quick fix for this problem. What the Hell can the US do other than enforce our laws and try to stem the flood? Still think the physical wall idea was idiocy, but there must be some way of monitoring the border w/o a useless concrete eyesore...
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    edited March 2021

This is no news at all at CNN. I just think there's a fair bit of hypocrisy going on is all. I'm no Trump fan and he handled the immigration thing pretty poorly, but we're going to see very quickly that there is no quick fix for this problem. What the Hell can the US do other than enforce our laws and try to stem the flood? Still think the physical wall idea was idiocy, but there must be some way of monitoring the border w/o a useless concrete eyesore...

There isn't hypocrisy and I think we've been over this on this forum before. Again, the Trump administration separated families that were together on arrival. These are minors that came by themselves. If folks cannot acknowledge the distinction in facts, well, it's not the people they're attacking that are guilty of hypocrisy, I say.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

You pretty much summed up a catch 22 that Biden Administration is in here. There is no quick fix, yet everyone expects them to fix it quickly as ‘not being prepared enough’ is the only criticism I have read about how the Biden Administration has handled it, yet, one needs to remember how much resistance the Biden team had during the transition period, that expecting them to be prepared just 2 months after being sworn in can be quite unrealistic.

Biden has been on record saying what is happening at the border is unacceptable. Others have said he has been frustrated that things aren’t moving more quickly, and the only reason why the first article you posted was written was due to Biden stating that he was going to open up these facilities to the press. It also shouldn’t be surprising that he didn’t use it for a photo op with a box with the word ‘toothpaste’ sharpied into it.

Biden also hasn’t been making asylum seekers a news story like Trump did. Biden isn’t warning of massive caravans on a daily basis so news organizations are just going back to what they’ve done the previous 20 to 30 years before Trump - ignore the problem.

The immigration / asylum issue can be fixed quickly if the US government pours enough resources into the problem. More social workers, better housing accommodations for those awaiting hearings and more importantly, more lawyers and judges to hear the cases so these individuals and families aren’t in limbo for years at a time. The quicker they are processed and rejected (for those that are rejected), the quicker they are sent back to their home countries where word of mouth will spread that making the trip under the wrong circumstances is unwise.

That of course is not going happen as I can see Hannity and Tucker already comparing the 5 star quality meals that these asylum seekers are getting compared to the ‘soup kitchen’ in some rural red hick town that will rule up their base. Or comparing asylum seekers to going on vacation where the American taxpayer doles out free food and accommodations and a free trip home when they get rejected to anyone that shows up at the border.

As long as half of Americans lack compassion for their fellow human beings, nothing will be done at the border. People can blame the politicians and media for ignoring the problem, but it’s being ignored because the majority of the population that they serve don’t care what is happening there.

This is no news at all at CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/29/politics/migrant-children-border-facilities/index.html

This is a story on the website from two days ago. I gotta say, I don't think it helps generate good discussion on this forum if folks are using it to post misinformation.
    DinoDin wrote: »

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/29/politics/migrant-children-border-facilities/index.html

This is a story on the website from two days ago. I gotta say, I don't think it helps generate good discussion on this forum if folks are using it to post misinformation.

I think he was referring to CNN the 24 hour news channel.
    deltago wrote: »

The website story is accompanied by a one-minute video story as well, which means it very likely did run on the channel. Also, how would he know a 24 hour news channel didn't run anything on this "at all"?

Also, if you scroll down in the text of the story, you'll see a "More on Immigration" section that also lists several other stories that also qualify as CNN covering this, including a "see inside border facilities" story. I'm sorry but the claim is demonstrably false.

The website story is accompanied by a one-minute video story as well, which means it very likely did run on the channel. Also, how would he know a 24 hour news channel didn't run anything on this "at all"?

Also, if you scroll down in the text of the story, you'll see a "More on Immigration" section that also lists several other stories that also qualify as CNN covering this, including a "see inside border facilities" story. I'm sorry but the claim is demonstrably false.

I don't watch CNN on TV so I'm referring to their website specifically. Reuters and Politico have been my go to for border news. CNN has been mostly crickets...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The only people the border situation is a "crisis" for are the people attempting to cross. It's a crisis for the kids themselves, but when FOX News attempts to paint it as a "crisis", they don't mean for the people making the trek. They mean it's a crisis for someone in Montana whose life it doesn't effect one iota. The border crossing influx is up roughly the same percentage this year as it was last year. Somehow, magically, last year it was a situation "being dealt with strongly" which instantaneously morphed into "existential crisis". Presumably because the policies became about 25-30% more humane. Which isn't sufficient or acceptable. But it's a far bit better than purposefully kidnapping children as a deterent mechanism.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    It's not hard to hold both of these positions at once:

A - The conditions at the border are unacceptable, and the situation is deeply concerning. The Biden Administration needs to move heaven and earth to fix this as soon as possible

B - The conditions at the border are VASTLY less awful than they were under Trump. Biden is not separating families in an attempt to terrorize migrants from crossing the border. Biden hasnt even been in office long enough to reach the average length of stay of migrants in detention facilities under Trump. Biden's administration appears to be attempting to provide some basic necessities to the migrants - unlike Trump (No Toothpaste, Shampoo, etc).

When you consider both of those positions - the Left (and the media, and the administration) are not being hypocritical in the least, because there are enormous and tangible differences between the two. It doesnt excuse the Biden administration from not doing better (although, as @deltago has mentioned, there are mitigating circumstances that have been problematic for Biden's administration in this issue)
    edited March 2021
    I think between the attempted overthrow of an election and the ongoing situation with COVID-19, the fact that Biden is the first incoming President to get NO transition cooperation from the outgoing Administration is just overlooked. Which makes the quick work on the vaccine rollout all the more impressive.

Of course, as Americans will tend to do, we are now spiking the ball at our own 30-yard line. We're getting there, but a large number of people are just throwing out their masks and precautions because they believe it's over. It's having a game-winning drive staring you in the face, and just turning the ball over on purpose. Two more months and the situation will be at about the point where things can resume normality. But after all of this, apparently that's just too much to ask. Not a surprise really. But at least there is a leader who is reinforcing the responsible message whenever possible. They have certainly not declared any premature victory or had a "mission accomplished" moment yet.
    This is always a fun exercise for me, as it’s never black and white but does have merit when it comes to online content and what gets pushed and both of you, @DinoDin and @Balrog99 are right in some aspects;

This is CNN’s home page right now (3 p.m. EST) on mobile:

The lead story is on Chauvin case, as it is happening live at the moment.
    fsmv8303njd4.png
    Followed by Nauvin’s hunger strike and a Covid story about kids returning to school.
    ra4iyafodry6.png
    wd7us5yd9elz.png
    Followed by another story about COVID and it being the third highest cause of death in 2020.
    xrf8osvmqcj0.png
    Then it’s followed by a story about Matt Gatz and then a story about Megan And Harry (I didn’t think American’s were into Royal news).
    0xh7jzp2q999.png
    Then two click bait stories about young kids.
    96ss6qabfwjf.png
    Then Biden’s Infrastructure Plan
    xkgno0y6th0l.png
    Then a story about extremist in the military (after paid content) and a click bait video of a volcano
    h2nc7x8wqtdo.png
    Followed by a story about fruit
    Then a story about Michael Strahan (?) new look
    bhk6pnfcus1r.png
    Then a story about video doorbells
    sw1v8q6ug7r9.png
    Then a click bait video about a mother bear and her Cubs
    cq4ygrw5edb9.png
    Then a crime story about Asian hate crime criminal
    kx5scunoyr6n.png
    Then a story on Kevin Durant and a Click bait video of Georgia governor Kemp
    uaw548ft37gz.png
    Then a story about a guy falling out of a rollercoaster
    Then a story about Georgia voting rights bill and a boycott on Georgia businesses
    y4wctavs1y8c.png
    Followed by CNN podcast
    7idgz5bsi5qo.png
    Then a story on Britney Spears
    9h97rt1epbcf.png
    Then a story about buying houses in Italy
    Then a story on Donald Trump (thought this would be much higher)
    vp0zyj2361hj.png
    Then a story on severe weather in the South West
    jkx7mba87kg3.png
    Then, if you scroll past all of that you get a story on Migrant children. (In the screenshot above)

This is the equivalent of burying a story in the left hand corner of the second last page of the News section in a newspaper.

If you’re not searching for it, you won’t find it, and any casual person who just wants to check up on the news quickly, won’t get a fully painted picture of what is happening if they visit CNN.

But you really can’t blame CNN for this. They’re a business and are attempting to make as much money as possible, so if their readers and watchers aren’t clicking on the stories, they are not going to be predominantly featured.
    A quick comparison though (without screen shots). Fox News has it’s first Border headline as it’s second story (as of 4:15 EST) with an asking about where is Kamala and reuters 16 stories down (but leading the US section).
    @deltago you're a wonder. You must be either a detective or a scientist.

It's really interesting when you look at both sides. Fox News and CNN are almost like opposite sides of a coin. Same news, completely different analysis and emphasis.
    deltago you're a wonder. You must be either a detective or a scientist.

It's really interesting when you look at both sides. Fox News and CNN are almost like opposite sides of a coin. Same news, completely different analysis and emphasis.

No, just a background in both marketing and journalism so I know how they coexist. CNN has been catering more to 'Left Outrage' as Fox News has been catering to (and has been since its inception) catering to 'Right Outrage,' because that is what gets the views.

It shouldn't surprise people that a story about a painting in Kemp's office of a plantation, that has been there probably for decades, is currently a story CNN deems more important than what is happening at the border, because their viewers are more likely to click on that video than the border one. Same with Gaetz. They are currently the left's equivalent of FOX's coverage of AOC or Fauci. It's only news because their readers/viewers deem it is news and having someone to blame for issues is more easy to do than actually tackling those issues.
    edited April 2021

No, just a background in both marketing and journalism so I know how they coexist. CNN has been catering more to 'Left Outrage' as Fox News has been catering to (and has been since its inception) catering to 'Right Outrage,' because that is what gets the views.

It shouldn't surprise people that a story about a painting in Kemp's office of a plantation, that has been there probably for decades, is currently a story CNN deems more important than what is happening at the border, because their viewers are more likely to click on that video than the border one. Same with Gaetz. They are currently the left's equivalent of FOX's coverage of AOC or Fauci. It's only news because their readers/viewers deem it is news and having someone to blame for issues is more easy to do than actually tackling those issues.

Well, I mean, Gaetz is being investigated for transporting a minor across state lines for the purposes of having sex with her, and has concocted an elaborate conspiracy to explain it away, and AOC is simply......more left-wing than your average American. I'm not sure how these things work on the same level in any way. Gaetz is in the news because he may be getting indicted sooner than later. AOC is, in fact, what you are talking about. Click-bait for having the temerity to EXIST.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Well, I mean, Gaetz is being investigated for transporting a minor across state lines for the purposes of having sex with her, and has concocted an elaborate conspiracy to explain it away, and AOC is simply......more left-wing than your average American. I'm not sure how these things work on the same level in any way. Gaetz is in the news because he may be getting indicted sooner than later. AOC is, in fact, what you are talking about. Click-bait for having the temerity to EXIST.

I think it is also telling that Gaetz, who doesn't even have charges brought against him is the lead instead of Joel Greenberg.
    Who the hell is Joel Creenberg? Well he wasn't a Trump lap dog the last 4 years so people probably wouldn't click on a story regarding his charges (even though they're extremely juicy).
    edited April 2021
    Well, if the Qanon folks ACTUALLY care about the underage sex trade (which I suspect they really don't), it looks like one of their boy's biggest cheerleaders is right in the thick of it. They used Cash App and Apple Pay. Which are about as hard to track from a money trail perspective as a bank robber with wet neon paint on his shoes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/us/politics/matt-gaetz-justice-department.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
    “Matt Gaetz has never paid for sex,” the statement said. “Matt Gaetz refutes all the disgusting allegations completely. Matt Gaetz has never ever been on any such websites whatsoever. Matt Gaetz cherishes the relationships in his past and looks forward to marrying the love of his life.”

But Trump is already married!

So reading between the lines of that article, it seems Greenberg, in his infinite wisdom, decided to create a fake ID for the 17 year old so she'd be able to get into clubs and the investigators stumbled upon it while investigating the stalking allegations. Greenberg (and Gaetz) is your stereotypical rich, privileged... we'll say person... who believes they can do whatever they want with zero consequences. Like this idiot embezzled funds that were suppose to be used to help small businesses after he was already charged with stalking and trafficking. Seriously, if you haven't read up on Greenberg and his antics, do so, and not just the charges, like him wearing his tax collector badge as if he was a cop idiocy.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on Gaetz getting convicted. At the moment, it is a he said, she said scenario which does not rise to beyond a reasonable doubt. Doesn't make him any less of a scummy... person... though. Their only hope is to flip Greenberg, but Greenberg seems to be the instigator in all of these activities, so I don't know if that is wise. I think who ever is leaking all this information to the Times knows this and just hopes to tarnish his reputation with the allegations.

But this will do nothing to affect Gaetz's base. They don't care (as electing a man who on tape said he'd date his underage daughter) and they will believe it is a political witch hunt by the deep state to take out one of Trump's main allies (or that Gaetz was deep undercover to expose the under age sex ring). It's too easy to spin.
    edited April 2021
    Wow, just wow. John Boehner sums up my opinion of the Trump Era GOP in a nutshell...

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506
    “Matt Gaetz has never paid for sex,” the statement said. “Matt Gaetz refutes all the disgusting allegations completely. Matt Gaetz has never ever been on any such websites whatsoever. Matt Gaetz cherishes the relationships in his past and looks forward to marrying the love of his life.”

So reading between the lines of that article, it seems Greenberg, in his infinite wisdom, decided to create a fake ID for the 17 year old so she'd be able to get into clubs and the investigators stumbled upon it while investigating the stalking allegations. Greenberg (and Gaetz) is your stereotypical rich, privileged... we'll say person... who believes they can do whatever they want with zero consequences. Like this idiot embezzled funds that were suppose to be used to help small businesses after he was already charged with stalking and trafficking. Seriously, if you haven't read up on Greenberg and his antics, do so, and not just the charges, like him wearing his tax collector badge as if he was a cop idiocy.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on Gaetz getting convicted. At the moment, it is a he said, she said scenario which does not rise to beyond a reasonable doubt. Doesn't make him any less of a scummy... person... though. Their only hope is to flip Greenberg, but Greenberg seems to be the instigator in all of these activities, so I don't know if that is wise. I think who ever is leaking all this information to the Times knows this and just hopes to tarnish his reputation with the allegations.

But this will do nothing to affect Gaetz's base. They don't care (as electing a man who on tape said he'd date his underage daughter) and they will believe it is a political witch hunt by the deep state to take out one of Trump's main allies (or that Gaetz was deep undercover to expose the under age sex ring). It's too easy to spin.

I have to seriously question whether anyone put any actual thought to their vote for tax collector in Seminole County. The guy turned the whole operation into fake ID factory, and attempted to allow taxes to be paid in Bitcoin. Someone responding to his text message about Gaetz refers to him as a "Gold Star", meaning preferred customer. Implying they have enough customers to have actual tiers of who gets seen to first.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited April 2021

I disagree.

I think that the DOJ (and Gaetz himself) wouldnt throw around the term "sex trafficking" casually. I think this isnt just an issue of Gaetz giving a girl a fake ID and going to a few clubs. As you noted, he's a rich white man, and I dont think the DJ (especially under Bill Barr) would open an investigation if the potential wasnt there for a more significant crime.

His director of communication resigned today.

Edit - I also dont think it boils down to "He Said, She Said" either. That's all that's in the news because the DOJ isnt going to release any information. So Gaetz gets to say what he wants. There will be an investigation - and it'll either incriminate or clear him.

I disagree.

I think that the DOJ (and Gaetz himself) wouldnt throw around the term "sex trafficking" casually. I think this isnt just an issue of Gaetz giving a girl a fake ID and going to a few clubs. As you noted, he's a rich white man, and I dont think the DJ (especially under Bill Barr) would open an investigation if the potential wasnt there for a more significant crime.

His director of communication resigned today.

Edit - I also dont think it boils down to "He Said, She Said" either. That's all that's in the news because the DOJ isnt going to release any information. So Gaetz gets to say what he wants. There will be an investigation - and it'll either incriminate or clear him.

The investigation started as a stalking case with Greenberg sending letters to his political opponents’s high school pretending to be a concerned student about sexual misconduct centring around the rival.

It snowballed from there to the irony that is now.

It’s down to Greenberg and friends (with Gaetz being one of them) using the sugar daddy website to pick up girls and party, with at least one of the girls lying about her age on the site (unless it was one of the friends of a friend scenario, which IMO, should go much, much deeper than just Greenberg and Gaetz). So unless the DOJ can prove that Gaetz had sex with this girl, it will go no where with him.

And yes, the DOJ does not release any information as they shouldn’t with any investigation until it is completed. If it was actually substantial, I doubt it’d be leaked to the press. I maybe proven wrong, but this investigation is going to go nowhere.
    edited April 2021
    Wow, just wow. John Boehner sums up my opinion of the Trump Era GOP in a nutshell...

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506

Ya, read this essay this morning. I'm from roughly the same area as Boehner. So I probably understood his conservatism on a deep level, lotta folks are like him in the area. That essay was a great reminder of just how much standards have slipped.
    edited April 2021

Ya, read this essay this morning. I'm from roughly the same area as Boehner. So I probably understood his conservatism on a deep level, lotta folks are like him in the area. That essay was a great reminder of just how much standards have slipped.

Nothing Boehner can now admit to years later is distinguishable from the liberal criticisms of the time. They only seem to get taken seriously when a Republican makes them in hindsight.

To defend him however, Hannity and Levin today called him a "failed Speaker" in response. And they are right, he was. But it's because of the type of Representatives the hate radio crowd escorted into office with the Tea Party. And Boehner had no control over his caucus. Say whatever you want about Pelosi, she knows where all her votes are at all times, and doesn't pick battles she can't win.

But Republicans no longer send people to office to legislate. They send people to function as hand grenades to destroy the ability to govern.
    One important insight in that book excerpt, imo, was just how much power in the party centers around its media stars. As you say, this is nothing new. But I'll take any re-emphasizing of this point that's out there.
    edited April 2021
    This is always a fun exercise for me, as it’s never black and white but does have merit when it comes to online content and what gets pushed and both of you, @DinoDin and @Balrog99 are right in some aspects;

This is CNN’s home page right now (3 p.m. EST) on mobile:

I appreciate you putting in the effort here, but I don't think this is as dispositive as it seems. This is a quick shot at one point in time, and a point in time when another story is dominant.

The real truth is that the mainstream news *is* covering the border. Arguably more than it deserves. The main reason it's become a point of debate on this forum is because news outlets are covering it.

FWIW I literally checked the CNN politics page as I was writing this. And the story on the top right was this one: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/03/politics/border-radio-ad-campaign-latin-america-smugglers/index.html
    https://edition.cnn.com/politics

There just simply isn't anything except anecdotal evidence that CNN has not covered or has buried the coverage of this. Yes, border coverage will sink in priority during the Minneapolis police trial. That's not a surprise.
    edited April 2021
    If Biden goes through with this the far-left isn't going to have a hell of a lot to complain about for a good long while. This is exactly the kind of move progressives assume Democrats will never make. But the fact is, in the wake of COVID-19, alot of stuff can be written off as necessary because of a crisis situation:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2021/04/01/biden-actively-considering-cancelling-student-loan-debt-of-up-to-50000/?sh=40b8007638e8

Bottom line?? Everyone keeps underestimating Biden. The right, the left, and myself probably right up to his convention speech. No Administration is going to go up there and have a perfect batting average. But this one is risk-averse in all the right ways and swinging for the fences when they see an opening. And because of the economic hardship out there, people who would normally object to something like this aren't going to. I say do it. You won't lose a single vote, and you'll engage the voters most likely to stay home in 2022, which is young progressives.