Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Gate70 wrote: »
    (don't ask why Jack has full plate armour + neutral archmagi robes but is wearing neither - I have no idea. Also he has the magic potion still so might not have had 3 turns of guaranteed saves)

I think perhaps Jack had also bought one of those potions in the thieves guild - in any event he was protected. As to why he wasn't wearing any armor though, that's a little trickier B).
    Wise_GrimwaldGate70Corey_Russell
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    A party of all fighters against Irenicus in Spellhold? Just attack - you start very close to him. My no-spellcasting party faced him twice due to a crash. Both times, they did enough damage to win the fight before his prebuffs even fired. Wielding nonmagical weapons, because I wanted to render the clones mostly harmless (Enhanced Bard Song grants normal weapon protection).

My run wasn't exactly the same as your restriction - you're allowing multiclass priests, I allowed any class as long as they don't actually cast anything from the spellcasting button. As such, the details are different. I had inquisitor dispels to take down combat defenses, and wands of spell striking to eliminate abjuration immunity if I needed to.

I do think you'd be better off with a multiclass fighter/thief as protagonist, like I used. Full access to thief tricks, scrolls and wands at high levels, and you can play as a heavily armored fighter 95% of the time.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakar
  • JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 75
    Sure, I'm playing wis slayer because I think it's interesting - not trying to create the strongest PC or anything. I am planning on using a F/T someday when I get around to an evil run, but not this run :).

I try to avoid attacking enemy mages before their buffs trigger, so that unfortunately won't be an option here. I also don't have my equipment, because I use the "remove inventory in spellhold" component of the SCS mod.

But overall I agree with you that it isn't THAT difficult a fight. It's more that I feel like its risky, because it could get out of control quickly.

In my install Jon starts with an improved mantle, so the party won't have any weapons that can damage him. So theoretically he could cast time stop the first round, and if I don't interrupt him with a spell, he could cast dragon breath and summon planetar during the timestop. That would put me in a very tough position.

Having said that, in previous runs he has had a tendency to waste his early few rounds casting defensive buffs, and then get tagged by a dispel arrow once I. Mantle wears off.

I'm not sure how often he has fire shield or death spell to kill insects, but he frequently doesn't have that either.

But I'm pretty sure eventually Jon is going to end a run, it just hasn't happened yet.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarGrond0
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    [I would have liked to have had a completely neutral party, but Branwen can't be taken through SoD and neither can Quayle. The devs made a mistake there in my opinion. Having been set free from petrification, it is perfectly believable that she would have continued to help the protagonist wherever he/she went, perhaps even entering into a romance. Quayle I must admit is not a very believable character at all.
    BG1 NPC Project adds a Branwen Romance.

I agree, SoD lacks some characters : an evil thief, a neutral cleric and an evil fighter for the first part.

Grond0Aerakar
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Journal of Xan

Upon going to Durlag's Tower I was able to fulfil Kirinhale's quest before killing her. >:)
    iemmvg9prmmw.jpg
    vsfjvd5fgak1.jpg

We took pity on Riggilo and killed him too.

We cleared all the upper tower but cannot go any lower bacause Love was killed by Ice Storm and all his possessions disappeared.

I would have thought being a quest item the wardstone at least would not have been destroyed. :(

Since even Safana has 130,000 experience it is perhaps time to head for Baldur's Gate to deal with Sarevok.

We have over 30,000 gold pieces so we'll spend that on useful items first and we have some ankheg armour that should be awaiting us at Beregost. :) We have Durlag's Armour so if anything we will have more armour than we need. :)
    AerakarEnuhalMantis37Arvia
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited April 2021
    @Jabberwock

Sorry about that.

I have come to the conclusion that ALL fighters need some proficiency in a ranged weapon with poisoning ability. This is because you never know which ones will be taken out of the game albeit temporarily.

Short bow, long bow or crossbow will do, just so long as they can interrupt the spells of mages.

And always ensure that you have both poison arrows AND dispelling ones in the packs of ALL warriors as soon as you can afford it.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Wise_Grimwald said...
    I would have thought being a quest item the wardstone at least would not have been destroyed. :(

@Wise_Grimwald if the wardstone was on the ground, I agree it probably would have stuck around. But as you noticed, that doesn't apply to a person with quest item loot. While ice damage does "chunk" enemies, from what I understand that chunking doesn't happen if gore is turned off. So either not use ice damage next time, or turn off the gore option would be your best bets.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 75
    @Corey_Russell An interesting example of vanilla being tougher than SCS. SCS mages will never imprison charname (unless you make an obscure variable edit).

Arvia
    Jabberwock wrote: »
    @Corey_Russell An interesting example of vanilla being tougher than SCS. SCS mages will never imprison charname (unless you make an obscure variable edit).

@Jabberwock what's also interesting is that Balors in the Melissan fight in vanilla have a 15% chance of vorpaling a character, no save offered. In SCS, that is changed and a save is offered from the vorpal effect.
    ArviaAerakar
    Boromir the human bounty hunter - FINAL Update!

<sigh> - my thieves never seem to be able to survive. I have so many thief runs (and so many deaths lol), and another one is added to the list. So I was in Pelvale and stumbled onto some black talon elites who took Boromir down to 1/2 life in no time. So I tell him to move AWAY from the black talons, and send fire balls from other characters to whittle those enemies down. What does my character do? Move TOWARDS all the enemy archers and gets quickly mowed down for his efforts.

Once more with feeling, back to the drawing board!

2q0vjbfftkoz.jpg
    Grond0Mantis37AerakarEnuhal
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Ah, the importance of scouting. If you know where they are and the Blacktalons don't see you, you can easily set up and crush them. If they see you first, you're in for some pain.

Heading toward them as a thief isn't always a bad idea; as archers, they're very susceptible to backstabs. Then once you're in their midst, they either switch to melee or try to make some distance, and you get a break from the arrows. But that only works if you're in stealth, and you back it up with the party before they can regroup.
    Corey_RussellGrond0