Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Will I live long enough for this challenge?

124»

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 6,978
    edited November 2020
    The latest fresh character to be generated was a druid dualled to fighter. Progress was straightforward in BGEE and SoD and things continued well after dualling early in BG2EE. At druid 12 / fighter 26 I was close to finishing all the Chaper 2 and 3 content when I got carried away after successfully Harming Firkraag and didn't retreat when follow-up attacks bounced off his stoneskin. That resulted in being affected by dragon fear and ending up as another morsel between his teeth. The run was documented on the no-reload thread.

Five months later I started this again, but only lasted 5 minutes - a ambush by skeletons on the first area transition proving fatal when they got exceedingly lucky rolls.

Another month later and I'm currently in the middle of a shaman run. However, I'm limiting that to an hour a day and rolled a random choice for another run to use up additional oddments of time. Progress was smooth to Baldur's Gate, but I once again got into trouble there when saving the game having just talked to Degrodel and talking to him again on the restart. I managed to stun him with a dart and successfully killed him to get Balduran's Helm back, but was trapped in a corner by a couple of doom guards and a helmed horror. I hadn't bought any potions, so had no regeneration available and used a potion of invisibility to take advantage of my constitution regeneration before breaking out. I'd forgotten though that potions last 12 hours rather than the 24 hours of the spell - and left the game running long enough to reappear and allow the enemies to finish their job while I was away from the computer.

Post edited by Grond0 on
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovmonicoXDarkStrikerX
    edited May 13
    Totemic druid
    Thinking I would have a go at a sole class druid, I rolled up a totemic version. That made pretty easy progress through BGEE and most of SoD, before getting held by Thrix's summoned army when his cutscene appeared to last long enough to erase my buffs. That was another run summarized on the no-reload thread.

Another attempt that failed at Sendai's Enclave is summarized here. I didn't expect to beat Mel, but should really have got to her. However, I underestimated the drow that appear between Sendai's statues ...

A year later I've started a third attempt. That's now in v2.6, which made it a bit more difficult than previously to get hold of Drizzt's equipment. However, he proved pretty vulnerable after having magic resistance cast on him.
    hr0zcsr7489a.jpg
    I managed to complete the rest of BGEE despite taking a few risks.
    It was a similar story in SoD - the sort of slightly risky play (like not buffing for the Crusader invasions of the camp) which can so easily be costly. However, my luck held this time and Belhifet was eventually chopped up with the help of Caelar.
    6y5vv33dk62r.jpg
    My luck ran out relatively early in SoA. When looting the thief guild I couldn't remember the order of the traps, but proceeded anyway. I had Shield of the Archons available, but didn't use it and got petrified as a result ...

Post edited by Grond0 on
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovmonicoXDarkStrikerX
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Good luck with your druid runs !
    I'm looking forward to see what strategies will allow you to advance in late game (summons, especially the fire elemental ones, can take care of most of SoD & BG2).

What were your preparations for the fight against Belhifet ? What weapons did you use ?

Grond0JuliusBorisov
    @monico preparations included green scrolls against elemental damage and poison and potions for speed, power, defense, dexterity and magic shielding. Additional power and regeneration potions were used to keep HPs up and DUHM to raise strength. In this run I only had a single scimitar from Drizzt - that did most of the damage until my use of Champion's Strength scrolls at the top of the lift ran out. I then finished Belhifet off with Bullets of Darkness after using a few more of those scrolls.

When there not that long ago with a totemic druid I used the Root of the Problem Club in my off-hand, which allowed Belhifet to be killed somewhat quicker. I partly didn't do that this time to reduce damage taken - but that would be less of an issue for most people who aren't allergic to healing items :p.

monicoJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    edited July 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    but that would be less of an issue for most people who aren't allergic to healing items :p.

I was wondering about that, btw, what is the reason behind this ?

Is it just for the duration of the fights, like resting/saving is impossible and so you don't use healing items too ? Do you allow healing items outside of battle ?

edited July 2020
    @monico there's no particular reason - and I don't use healing outside battle either (which means the ability to rest safely becomes more important, as I think it should). At one stage, quite a few years ago now, I was experimenting with making the game more challenging using a range of different restrictions and this just seemed to suit me. I always had a bit of a tendency to try and manage damage rather than just bludgeon on through and the restrictions just exaggerated that. I died quite a bit to poison to start with, but that made sense to me. I think poison should be dangerous, not something you can just swig antidotes to cure at a moment's notice.

I'm so used to not using healing now that in most cases I don't notice the lack - it's probably only the fight with Melissan that it regularly becomes a major issue. She's immune to so many things that strategies for many characters are fairly limited and with lots of summons, area damage spells, missiles flying around and regular dispels, it's hard for non-arcane characters to avoid damage - and the sheer length of the various battles without the ability to rest means that abilities like hardiness and GWW are in short supply.

monicoAerakarStummvonBordwehr
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2020
    Dang. I didn't spot this thread until now. A very impressive showing. I read through about 3 of your solos so far.

The Wizard Slayer solo seemed extremely difficult, which isn't surprising. I still enjoy the class for what it is, limited as it may be.

monicoGrond0
    edited July 2020
    The Wizard Slayer solo seemed extremely difficult, which isn't surprising. I still enjoy the class for what it is, limited as it may be.

@WarChiefZeke it's certainly not easy ;), but I have a soft spot for it too and have no desire to try and mod away the disadvantages. You need a bit of luck in BG1 at the palace and in several encounters in SoD. BG2 though should be easier I think due to the amount of items giving immunities in the early game. I soloed one years ago (before SoD) and I think the 100% MR you can get in ToB actually makes the game somewhat easier for them there than a standard fighter - so I'm reasonably confident I'll get the class through eventually. In fact I've been thinking it was about time for another attempt at it, so I'll probably do that after finishing the current druid run ...

Post edited by Grond0 on
    WarChiefZekeAerakar
    monico wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »
    but that would be less of an issue for most people who aren't allergic to healing items :p.

I was wondering about that, btw, what is the reason behind this ?

Is it just for the duration of the fights, like resting/saving is impossible and so you don't use healing items too ? Do you allow healing items outside of battle ?

@Grond0 I think I found the reason why you don't use healing potions 😋

Grond0Aerakar
    edited July 2020
    I've probably been playing too much BG recently and didn't fancy any of the existing characters. I decided to create a dark moon monk, which is a class I've got limited experience of, to freshen things up a bit.
    41vzsigi349t.jpg
    However, I still soon found myself drifting back into bad habits by pushing boundaries and that proved costly on my return to Candlekeep when a near-dead greater doppleganger turned at bay, despite its morale failure, and slashed away my remaining life with a critical.

StummvonBordwehrAerakarmonicoJuliusBorisov
    edited April 25
    Fighter/mage/thief
    I created a fighter/mage/thief with the intention of trying to avoid taking any damage during the run. A mistake saw me injured during the return to Candlekeep, but I continued with the run through SoD and into BG2EE. I was no longer trying to avoid damage there and progress seemed very easy, but I hit a bug when Gaelan Bayle incorrectly said he'd given me the key to a secret door in the thieves guild - rather than fiddle around with the save I ended the run there. The run was recorded on the no-reload thread.

Eight months later and this came up again as a random choice. I had one close shave in BGEE when I wasn't paying close attention during an area transition, which allowed an ambushing basilisk the time to gaze at me. I had no useful potions, but saved anyway. I used the lightning trap to kill Sarevok's companions, in order to get Angelo's exploding arrows. I then missed an attempted backstab on Sarevok and had no buffs or summons to allow me to fight toe to toe - so resorted to shooting to finish him off.
    2m5sf3t8mbn1.jpg
    SoD was mainly straightforward. The main exception to that was when I didn't bother setting up a proper attack on Vichand and failed to kill him before the whole camp was hostile - requiring me to kill them all rather than just surrender the fort. Against Belhifet I used stoneskins to manage damage and blue fireshield to add some extra damage.
    pk27ca4n8otn.jpg
    Once more I came unstuck through a lack of patience. A big problem with multi-class characters is the time it takes them to improve saving throws and my saving throw vs spell was still only at 0 even after getting half a dozed HLAs. Encountering the beholders on the way to Amaunator's temple I just attacked rather than use area damage or summons and duly died. The cause wasn't obvious on my portrait, but I presume it was a result of being charmed.

Post edited by Grond0 on
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovAdam_en_tiumXDarkStrikerX
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Great playthroughs, I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Question. You mention "guaranteed" saving throws. My understanding is that no matter how good your saving throws, there's always a 5% chance of critical failure. Is that correct?

Grond0CrevsDaak
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Great reads as always. The dwarven berserker inspired me to try a solo run with one.

Grond0
    A third run in a row had an unsatisfactory finish after I generated another new class in a cleric/thief multi. That's a pretty easy class to make progress with thanks to the powerful cleric spells available in BGEE and thief traps and stealth in BG2EE supported by good all-round saving throws. However, no class can survive without being careful and a moment's inattention resulted in me leaving the Temple of Rillifane while the Avatar was in the process of being summoned - breaking the script and leaving no way to continue the game (without reloading, which I don't generally allow even for bugs). The run was reported on the no-reload thread.

AerakarStummvonBordwehrXDarkStrikerX