Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    jmerry wrote: »
    Ah, the importance of scouting. If you know where they are and the Blacktalons don't see you, you can easily set up and crush them. If they see you first, you're in for some pain.

Heading toward them as a thief isn't always a bad idea; as archers, they're very susceptible to backstabs. Then once you're in their midst, they either switch to melee or try to make some distance, and you get a break from the arrows. But that only works if you're in stealth, and you back it up with the party before they can regroup.

That's a good point @jmerry - I think I used to have the highest AC tank scout, then the party moved to assist once they found something. Need to go back to that. And in my case got attacked by the side. And my stealth wasn't good enough yet to reliably hide.
    Wise_Grimwald
    @Wise_Grimwald chaotic commands and Mazzy's sword protect from stun in vanilla.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 481

Can somebody tell me what protects from stun. I thought freedom of action did but apparently not.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47623/status-effects

I found this guide really helpful.

ArviaAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited April 2021

Helpful for SoA. :) Not so helpful for SoD as Clerics don't have chaotic commands in their spellbook. :( However scrolls are available. :)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited April 2021
    Trouveur wrote: »

Can somebody tell me what protects from stun. I thought freedom of action did but apparently not.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47623/status-effects

I found this guide really helpful.

According to that in BG2 freedom of action is supposed to protect from stun (It doesn't in SoD, preumably the reason for fix included in the G3 fixpack) . Potion of magical blocking should give protection as should chaotic command.

Chaotic Command scrolls are available in SoD even if the spell is not yet available to clerics. Potions of magical blocking are also available, so having spiders with stun is reasonable, though it does mean that you have to power game against the spiders.

I'll test these out in my current game as Haller has just reached Baldur's Gate in SoD.

As Haller has a high constitution, I'll have to use Safana, Baeloth or Edwin to test the scroll and the potion.
    edited April 2021

Helpful for SoA. :) Not so helpful for SoD as Clerics don't have chaotic commands in their spellbook. :( However scrolls are available. :)

@Wise_Grimwald If I want to be protected from stun in BG 1, I would use either potion of magic shielding, potion of magic blocking or protection from magic scrolls. There's a good number of these potions and scrolls in BG 1.
    Post edited by Corey_Russell on
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Free action cures stun when initially cast. It doesn't prevent stun from being applied once it's active. Weird, but that's the way it is, in both BGEE and BG2EE.

In addition to Chaotic Commands, polymorphing into jelly form will protect against stun. Also troll form in BG2, with the Cloak of the Sewers.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakar

According to that in BG2 freedom of action is supposed to protect from stun (It doesn't in SoD, preumably the reason for fix included in the G3 fixpack) .
    Only from stun from Power Word : Stun and Symbol : Stun.

Wise_Grimwald
    edited April 2021
    Cordan II micro-update:

I decided to go with Yoshimo instead of Anomen for my fighter party. What I did was IMMEDIATELY dualed Yoshimo to fighter. This enabled me to build him from the ground up. I am making him an axe user, since that's what Sarah was before she got chunked. Yoshimo can't use Azuredge (he's True Neutral), but can't have everything I guess.

And yes, while I realize Korgan is an axe user, he has a hard quest to do early, and for a long time is a lousy character to dual-wield, unless you want him gulping potions like there's no tomorrow. And yes, while I know of the gauntlets of dexterity which does help Korgan quite a bit, this too is dangerous quest early, not to mention the shield of balduran costs quite a bit of change we don't have.

In any case, happy with Yoshimo for now. He also has the added advantage is he can be swapped out for Imoen. While Imoen isn't a fighter, I always dislike leaving her behind on RP grounds. So what I would do is boot her once she's free from the Underdark. I would probably replace her spot with Sarevok anyways in ToB.
    Wise_GrimwaldEnuhalAerakarArvia
    edited April 2021
    Journal of Silky

South of Beregost a hobgoblin followed me inside a cave. Fighting one on one I defeated him easily and was rewarded with some nifty boots.

42quwrajazzn.jpg

Just north of the Carnival sleep enabled me to rescue Annabelle from some xvarts.

wceumjgwy4lj.jpg

Then, to the south I was attacked by Greywolf. Things did NOT go according to plan!

I lured him to the mine intending to use my wand of missiles to finish him off when the guards had weakened him somewhat. One of the guards had a lucky shot which meant that I missed out on the experience. :(

91k8hjtrvgvp.jpg

I did however get experience when I returned to Prism and even more upon giving the emeralds to Oublek.

I was able to reunite Albert and Rufie before killing Vax and Zal.

79jfj1l5nntu.jpg

I tried resting but was attacked so fled to the west where I could rest in peace.

Colour Spray provedd to be highly effective against Caldo and Krumm with the result that my reputation has soared to 20. :)

audl83gn2l0u.jpg

After killing a dire wolf I was in dire need of sleep which a Flind interrupted. I tried fighting but he proved to be too adept a fighter so I fled tail between my legs to the carnival where I rested in peace.

r88a4hvf4ols.jpg

I met a polar bear in transit and we mutally decided not to fight.

Upon my return I was instrumental in the restoration of Drienne's cat.

cnzpr84pis3u.jpg

Madic missile followed by colour spray enabled me to kill Ingot and the same tactic worked against Gnarl and Hairtooth though I had to fight them one at a time fleeing to recuperate between the two battles.

r295qsqyli1x.jpg

The xvarts and gnolls were a major problem and I ended up fleeing for my life after looting a cave.

68r28afryk0g.jpg

When ambushed in transit I simply fled until eventually I arrived at the Carnival once more where I had a prolonged rest.

I had intended heading north from the gnoll stronghold but it turned out not to be feasable.
    EnuhalAerakarArvia
    @Wise_Grimwald if you are a squishy solo character, I strongly advise use of the sleep wand (from Thalantyr). It's usable by any character (assuming their INT is at least 9) and helps a lot against masses of gnolls and xvarts. It's not too expensive to recharge if needed too.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarArvia
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Well I finally decided to add SCS to my mods. I'm using that along with Tweaks as my only mods. I created a custom party for a no-reload and that is progressing satisfactorily. I decided to play on the 'tactical' setting for SCS so it's not too over the top. The new enemy tactics are interesting, but with a full party it's still pretty easy.

Now that I'm more familiar with what to expect, I switched to an elf M/T solo run instead. I Keepered him to a Bounty Hunter/Mage and decided to keep the bonus proficiencies, hit points and extra thief skills I got from the switch. I am a God child after all! I also got a lucky 97 roll for my stats which will help immensely. Seeing that all of my previous attempts at a solo noreload have met with abject failure, I'm allowing looting joinable NPC's and using traps to kill Elminster multiple times for the survivability boost. Here's my main man:

Dred Dergath
    LN - Bounty Hunter/Mage multi-class
    Strength - 18
    Dexterity - 19
    Constitution - 15
    Intelligence - 18
    Wisdom - 8
    Charisma - 18

Initial spells, Sleep and Find Familiar

I put all of his initial thief points in Open Lock and the bonus 25 in Set Traps. Proficiency in longsword, shortbow, dagger and 2-weapon fighting.

So far I'm progressing nicely. I cleared out Candlekeep easily and after doing a few of the early quests, I managed to level up and get my Set Traps up to 60. I almost died once from a critical hit from a gibberling of all things but I got more cautious after that and managed to live long enough to kill Elminster the first time. I'm now level 5/6 and am optimistic I can at least get through the BG portion of my epic adventure. Any advice from veterans would be really helpful to me at this point. Specifically any potentially fatal encounters I should avoid. I haven't done the basilisk area, Durlag's Tower, Balduran's Isle, any of the Chapter fights or difficult fights (Khark, flesh golem cave, Drizzt, ankheg area, bounty Hunter ambushes, Shangalar's Island, etc.) yet. Any pitfalls I should be aware of?
    ArviaAerakarEnuhalMantis37
    edited April 2021
    Journal of Silky

We disposed of the adventurers using web/wand of fire combo. One who escaped the web was finished off with magic missiles but not before I was hurt.

Dorn used the green scroll and his bow in the main against the basilisks, switching to Rancor when they approached within range.

Mutamin was killed with just one blast of the wand of frost. (Lucky)

We then picked up Viconia before returning to the Gnoll Fortress where Dynaheir joined us.

We then returned to the Lighthouse area where this time we were able to defeat the sirines.

Now back at Beregost. I need to buy some more spells, and only having 1000gp I need more gold too. Perhaps Bassilus should be next on the agenda.

I have been lucky in that I have picked up a web and a knock spell already. That wouldn't have happened pre-EE.

However before going there I bought spells at High Hedge.

As Zebedee would say: It is now time for bed.
    ArviaEnuhalGrond0Mantis37
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Any advice from veterans would be really helpful to me at this point. Specifically any potentially fatal encounters I should avoid. I haven't done the basilisk area, Durlag's Tower, Balduran's Isle, any of the Chapter fights or difficult fights (Khark, flesh golem cave, Drizzt, ankheg area, bounty Hunter ambushes, Shangalar's Island, etc.) yet. Any pitfalls I should be aware of?
    Avoid Wolf of Ulcaster if you installed its SCS optional component. It's really more deadly than the vanilla one.

Beware of stun effect from Sirenes.

Always have a potion of invisibility ready for unexpected encounters (SCS Bounty Hunters are random encounter).

Don't travel at night, you could fall in a bandits ambush.

If you can use a bow, buy the Slayer Arrow before meeting Khark.
    Balrog99Wise_GrimwaldAerakarArvia
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Of course! I finally decided to try SCS and there's a major update just a few days later. Oh well, at least I didn't get too far. I'm going to download the patch and hope SCS doesn't need a complete overhaul or something...
    Wise_Grimwald