Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

• TwiceTestedTwiceTested Member Posts: 18
    THANK YOU FOR THIS!! I kept thinking it had something to do with my mod install instead of the shadow magic mod itself. 2 full installs of SCS later, I finally find this GEM to fix the issue. I could NOT play the game with "not effected..." popping up every second.
    Luigirules
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Luigirules
    Did you contact the mod's author about this problem and fix?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    THANK YOU FOR THIS!! I kept thinking it had something to do with my mod install instead of the shadow magic mod itself. 2 full installs of SCS later, I finally find this GEM to fix the issue. I could NOT play the game with "not effected..." popping up every second.

I may not know shit about modding, but at least I know how to trouble-shoot. Glad you got some use out of my testing, it's exactly why I made that update post.
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Luigirules
    Did you contact the mod's author about this problem and fix?

No, but if you wanna send him a PM feel free to do so.
    @AionZ
    Luigi recently mentioned a bug fix in this thread. Assuming you haven't already, pweath include it in a near-term release.

Thankee!
  • TwiceTestedTwiceTested Member Posts: 18
    I left a message yesterday on the Artisan's Corner discord. I left Luigirules' excellent instructions on how to bypass the error for now there.
  • dipsetdipsetdipsetdipsetdipsetdipset Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2021
    edit - i fixed it
    Post edited by dipsetdipsetdipset on
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    there seems to be a bug of some sort where the forged Shadow Dragon Scale armor from Cromwell says shadow adepts (and, I assume, shadow disciples as well) are supposed to be able to use this armor, but my shadow disciple is unable to equip it. I can use the Darkmail you get from shadow-Patrick just fine, but not the Shadow Dragon Scale
  • RingStarRingStar Member Posts: 12
    @AionZ Hello! I realize that this is a hard time, and that there are more important matters... However, let me ask the question... When is there a chance to release the next version of the modification? Namely with the new spell learning system?
    My only complaint is that I think "Possess" is a little OP. I was able to take control of Amelyssan and just have her sit there while everyone else beat on her (granted, I was playing on "normal" difficulty). If there's a way to have Possess not affect bosses, I would recommend putting that in XD
    @kimmuryiel
    I disagree: Being able to use super powerful abilities on bosses is part of the fun! If you dislike it, you can avoid using it.
    @Endarire

bosses are supposed to be immune to this sort of thing, though. There's super powerful (like the meteor) and there's OP, like being able to mind control the end boss of the game so they don't defend themselves
    I have problem when using Shadow Magic(Nightbringer) nad Faith and Powers (Sphere System). My Shadow Adept/Cleric have no Cleric Spells. Someone had a similar problem? Last time (2 years ago?) everything worked fine.
    @RingStar
    Ask here on the F&P thread.
    @Endarire Thanks.
    @AionZ
    Since it's been months since your last update on this thread, we wish to know what's happening regarding updates to this mod in the near-term, like bug fixes and that new spell UI you demonstrated.

Thankee!
  • teodar1teodar1 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2021
    Hi, in a heavily modded eet i used eekeeper to make Vienxay a shadow adept/thief in baldurs gate 1. It worked fine until i finished bg1 and started sod. Now, while the kit name remains, she doesnt get spell dialogue and the shadow adept items she was wearing dont recognize her as a shadow adept. I tried to use eekeeper to give her the kit again, tried nightblade, tried the shadow orb - nothing works. Any ideas, anyone?
    Post edited by teodar1 on
    Ok i found something that did the job. I am not sure which of the things i did fixed it so i am listing all of them:
    1) cleared ALL local effects manually
    2) set kit to base class
    3)set levels to 0, kept xp
    4) turned ai off, leveled up and then used shadow orb

Hope Viexnay doesnt break again. :D
    StummvonBordwehr
  • DrClicheDrCliche Member Posts: 3
    This is an outstanding mod but I'm having a strange issue with the Nightsinger.

When the 'learn new spells' page comes up, for each level it says how many I can pick. e.g. at the start of BG2, I can learn 5 Lv1 spells, 4 Lv2 spells and 2 Lv3 spells.

However, it doesn't actually let me learn the second Lv3 spell. As soon as I pick my first level 3 spell, the spell selection screen no longer appears.

I've tried doing it in a different order, but that just causes more problems. If I pick a Lv3 spell, the spell-selection screen doesn't reappear even if I still have Lv1 spells left to pick. If I pick both Lv3 spells right away then that works . . . except that I then only get to pick 1 more spell before the spell-selection screen starts appearing (I was instead left with 2 Lv3 spells, 1 Lv2 spell, and no Lv1 spells at all).

Sorry to be a pain but I thought I'd let you know as I haven't seen anyone else mention this particular bug before. I hope it can be fixed as I really want to play this class.
    edited September 2021
    If the Shadow Magic spell list is accurate as of today, I'm unpleasantly surprised there's no level 2 mirror image analog nor level 3 displacement (50% miss chance against the touched subject but negated by true seeing) analog. I'm unsure if the spells are mostly directly ported from tabletop. These are things to consider adding for future versions.

Also, the description of Unmask contradicts itself on the AoE.
    Unmask
    (Divination – Shadow Weave)

Level: 5
    Range: 0
    Duration: Instant
    Casting Time: 5
    Area of Effect: 235-ft. radius
    Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast, an area roughly 30 feet in radius around the caster will be affected. All hostile illusion/phantasm spells in this area will be dispelled and all traps are revealed. This spell only affects one's enemies.

The spells that are affected by this are: Reflected Image, Invisibility, Blur, Mirror Image, Ghost Armor, Invisibility Sphere, Improved Invisibility, Shadow Door, Pixie Dust, Mislead, Project Image, and Mass Invisibility.

Thankee!
    edited September 2021
    SHADOW MAGIC: THULTANTHAR, CITY OF SHADES - is it dead or is Arthemius still working on it?

Also, Endarire, the spell you might be looking for is Dark Mirage. Its a mirror image + blur in one spell and its lvl 2.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @teodar1
    Thankee!

I too am eager for the next release of this mod with OlvynSpell overhaul and bug fixin' spiffiness!
    edited October 2021
    @AionZ
    Today I tried making a level 16 Shadow Disciple Sor in ToB and wasn't able to learn every spell the game said I should have. This seems like a bug report very similar to the one I made for your Warlock mod, and it uses the same mod wad. I'm unsure of the problem, but I would like it fixed. Just like with Warlock invocations, I didn't swap any of my spells known, but unlike the invocations, I wasn't offered any choice to swap them that I noticed.

I used the BETA spell learning system.

Note that Mages and Mage kits have started with their full normal allotment of Mage spells known.

This mod was EET compatible for me!

Thankee!
    Post edited by Endarire on
  • DrClicheDrCliche Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else having problems with Darkbolt?

When I try to use it against an enemy wizard, it not only fails to strip their spell protections but is actually affected by said spell protections.

So instead of stripping their spell protections and inflicting damage, it instead just gets reflected back at me by Spell Turning or else absorbed into Spell Trap.
  • CooperblackCooperblack Member Posts: 8
    I'm having the problem that whenever I summon my shadow familiar in BG 1 the game crashes, Anybody have a workaround for this?
  • ahungryahungry Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2022
    This is a great mod, thanks @AionZ

I notice triple class Fighter/Mage/Cleric is incompatible with Faith and Powers sphere system (no deity choice will work with this, I get message "NO VALID REPLIES" when attempting to select a deity, therefore the only divine spell I get is Cure Wounds - not sure if that's something that could be adjusted in this mod, or a F&P issue).

Edit: Another fun thing I found, probably not intended - Might and Guile (I think) adds a Loresinger class - a bard kit with Use Any Item from level 1 - I did one of the Shadow Adept quests, receiving a scroll to learn some shadow magic (for shadow adept only) and was able to learn it - very fun to have a bard with traditional magic, and a special shadow adept only spell (level 2) snuck in :smiley:
    Post edited by ahungry on
    @AionZ
    I tested Shadow Magic 2.21 today with BG2EE 2.6.6 and, when starting a game in ToB, our screen went entirely dark. We could still click around and interact because of the response sounds I heard, but the game was inoperable for me.

The only mods loaded were Shadow Magic 2.21 and Warlock 1.72. This confirms a previous bug report.
  • AnstalisAnstalis Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2022
    I'm having trouble in BG:EE with the multiclass Shadow classes not giving me the option to choose shadow magic spells, it just keeps the normal mage spells. It works fine in my BG2:EE game. Any ideas on why this is happening? Are there any mod incompatibilities that I should know about?

*Fixed, it was a mod incompatibility with Vienxay
    edited February 2022
    @Anstalis
    Was Vienxay fixed to work with Shadow Magic? If not, did you tell the author?
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    While installing this mod on a clean BG2EE 2.6.6 iwith Projetc Infinity modmanager i got :
    //INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Shadow Magic: Main Component

After digging into the Debug file, it seems that this warning comes from : no effects altered on C0SA112.itm

Does anyone know what does this mean ?

I was also reading some comments from @Caedwyr relating "potential" conflicts with HLAs and/or spell mods (like Refinements, IWidifcation...). Any one knows if those issues are still relevant ?
  • LeimPorterLeimPorter Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the problem that whenever I summon my shadow familiar in BG 1 the game crashes, Anybody have a workaround for this?

Same, I crash when i try to summon the chaotic or lawful alignment shadows the neutral one summons just fine in BG1, I just started using this mod so I'm guessing this is a compatibility with 2.6.6 patch because it crashes regardless of other mods being installed or not.