Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

• FoxySherufanirFoxySherufanir Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2023
    I'd like to report a rather serious "bug" It's currently impossible to learn any of the spells in the mod due to the fact it seems the "Spell Learning System" component that allows you to learn any shadow spells is completely missing from the mod I never got the option to install it.
    Post edited by FoxySherufanir on
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    I might be wrong, but I'm seeing a lot of .itm files for each spell. It might be that there are vanilla style spell scrolls to learn them from.
    edited September 2023
    @Connelly It seems you might be correct but that seems rather odd version 2.21 of the mod had you learning spells like the Warlock mod and I see no mention of TheArtisan removing the "Spell Learning System" component in the changelogs on TheArtisan's GitHub this also means that the kits from the mod start with no spells.
    @FoxySherufanir Yeah, the notes in the 3.0 release in Github mention "Added spell scrolls". Nothing about the beta learning system, but I think It's probably an intentional change. After all, the way the beta system works is somewhat more fitting for something like sorcerers (unless you're using it as a bandaid like this mod pre 3.0), and now that we have functional scrolls, it was deemed unnecessary at least for the mage kits.

Create a Shadow Disciple (the sorcerer kit) and see if the interface it comes up when leveling up.
    edited September 2023
    @Connelly I did as you suggested and started a new game and created a Shadow Disciple Sorcerer and no dialog/menu box pops up it allows me to keep normal spells when it should remove them it says in the kits description "May not learn or use spells from the Weave" and when I create a Shadow Adept Mage it does remove any spells you choose in the character creation.

Edit- Leveling up as a Shadow Disciple still doesn't allow me to any shadow spells it just comes up with the default Sorcerer spell learning menu and to give more information I did this on a clean installation of BG with only Shadow Magic installed aside from the DLC Merger
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 501
    @Connelly I did as you suggested and started a new game and created a Shadow Disciple Sorcerer and no dialog/menu box pops up it allows me to keep normal spells when it should remove them it says in the kits description "May not learn or use spells from the Weave" and when I create a Shadow Adept Mage it does remove any spells you choose in the character creation.

Edit- Leveling up as a Shadow Disciple still doesn't allow me to any shadow spells it just comes up with the default Sorcerer spell learning menu and to give some context I did this on a clean installation of BG with only Shadow Magic installed
    Are you using a UI mod?
    @Trouveur No I was in my normal installation but after doing a clean installation of BG I figured that might be causing a conflict so I didn't re-install it when I tested it.
    edited September 2023
    @FoxySherufanir @Trouveur I was going to ask that. The tricky thing about that learning interface is that other interface mods can bork it. I just installed SM in a clean BG2EE game, and leveling up five levles on a shadow sorcerer opens up the spell selection menu each time.

Anyway, I decided to check the code. Pre 3.0, the main component used this file for the installation: After the code for items, the last two sections dealt with crossmod content for Foundling and then asks you for the beta learning system. Neither are present in the 3.0 file. *

Still, the old code brings me to SPELLSYSTEM.TPA in the lib folder. Both 3 and pre versions decides if installing files compatible with other mods (turns out Shadow Magic needs to be installed after Rogue Rebalance's bard spell level progression, Tweaks Anthology's bard un-nerfed table!), and then follows the installation with SA_SEQUENCER_MENU.TPA, which *is* what installs the spell learning UI.

Note it says: "Changes it makes to UI.MENU are kept to an absolute minimum, to reduce the chances of incompatibility, but any UI mod that outright replaces UI.MENU will obviously not be compatible." **

I'm not sure what file in 3.0 calls SA_SEQUENCER_MENU.tpa, if any, but considering I'm seeing the menu ingame, I'm fairly confident it is getting installed, and you must have had something else overwriting it.

* I did find the crossmod content for Foundling gets installed during the selection for the constitution penalty, so hey.
    ** Those are mods like LeUI, EEUITweals, Dragonspear++, Infinity++... If you have any of them, those would go preferably soon in an install, about after EEEX and before quests. Some kit mods also install the same learning interface, like Warlock and Tome and Blood but they just do their thing and play together perfectly fine.
    edited September 2023
    @Connelly I had Infinity++ installed on my normal installation but I feel I should mention that TheArtisan's Warlock mod worked just fine with Infinity++ it's spell menu came up and allowed me to pick its Warlock spells so I doubt its a mod conflict between the two but I didn't install it just to be sure.
    Edit- Let me try again I may have used the wrong installation folder I have multiple folders due to testing mods before I use them in my main installation.
    @FoxySherufanir I don't see why Warlock would cause any problem. I tried again, installing Warlock on top of SM, and i still get the learning menu with a sorcerer. :/ Do you happen to still have the weidu.log of the install where you had this issue?
    edited September 2023
    @Connelly Here's my WeiDU log, But what I was saying is I don't know why Shadow Magic has a problem when the Warlock mod works just fine and are you getting the Shadow Spell Learning menu or the default/vanilla spell learning menu? The Shadow Spell Learning Menu is a dialogue box like talking to a NPC.
    Edit- I tested it again and I'm getting the shadows spells in the character creation so I'm not what the problem is my main installation only gives me the normal spells I guess I can downgrade to 2.21 if I have to.
    edited September 2023
    @FoxySherufanir I'm not spotting anything that would impede SM using the learning menu. I really can't see anything wrong in that log in that sense (apart from things being installed in a schizophrenic manner. You got a lot of mod types mixed with each other or in the wrong side of SCS),
    The Shadow Spell Learning Menu is a dialogue box like talking to a NPC.
    With the new scrolls I doubt the default dialogue system pre 3.0 is still there.

Just check with Kryn Darkflame in BG1 in the Friendly Arm and see if he's selling the scrolls.
    edited September 2023
    @Connelly I'm sorry to say he's not selling any scrolls just potions and wands.
    Edit- Nevermind I had to ask for his special stock he does sell shadow magic scrolls
    Edit2- While the spell menu may not work using scrolls is a decent alternative so thanks for your help Connelly.
    @Connelly I had Infinity++ installed on my normal installation but I feel I should mention that TheArtisan's Warlock mod worked just fine with Infinity++ it's spell menu came up and allowed me to pick its Warlock spells so I doubt its a mod conflict between the two but I didn't install it just to be sure.
    Edit- Let me try again I may have used the wrong installation folder I have multiple folders due to testing mods before I use them in my main installation.
    So you are using a UI mod.
    Infinity UI is currently in beta and would be my main suspect for incompatibility issues with Shadow Magic.
    Edit2- While the spell menu may not work using scrolls is a decent alternative so thanks for your help Connelly.
    Happy to help. Still, I'd advice you to keep working on your install order, just because you might be getting issues with other mods that could be easily avoided.
    Trouveur wrote: »
    So you are using a UI mod.
    Infinity UI is currently in beta and would be my main suspect for incompatibility issues with Shadow Magic.
    I was going to say that as long as the UI mod is installed early, other mods shouldn't have problems. But I just tried creating a shadow sorcerer with and without Infinity++, and to my confusion, now I'm seeing the problem.

So... yeah! :neutral:

(I never do sorcerers anyway, so eh. xD)

Also, I just noticed that it's impossible to @ TheArtisan because the account handle has a space in between @ and "The" which the comment system can't recognize, so you'd end up calling an nonexistent account instead. =V
  • Kensei_xXxKensei_xXx Member Posts: 42
    I tried 3.0.1 with Dragonspear UI++ and it caused issues aswell. No matter wich order of installation.

I‘m wondering if it could still be possible to let Players choose between the old and new spell learning system to avoid the current and future Problems?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    With the latest version from Github, the component "Drain Constitution on Cast" does not install on plain BG1:EE (without SoD), because "shadowadept/lib/scrolls.tpa" assumes without checking that these files exist:

RNDTRES.2DA
    bd0115.bcs
    bd0130.bcs
    bd1200.bcs
    bd4300.bcs
    bd5300.bcs
    bd7230.bcs
    bd7410.bcs
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    TheArtisan wrote: »
    High intelligence, wisdom and charisma benefits those who choose to stray into Shar's domain.

INTELLIGENCE: Bonus spell slots
    WISDOM: Increased spell duration
    CHARISMA: Bonus saving throws and elemental resistance

Are these bonuses documented anywhere?
    ineth wrote: »
    TheArtisan wrote: »
    High intelligence, wisdom and charisma benefits those who choose to stray into Shar's domain.

INTELLIGENCE: Bonus spell slots
    WISDOM: Increased spell duration
    CHARISMA: Bonus saving throws and elemental resistance

Are these bonuses documented anywhere?

they are no longer in the last version. Intelligence bonus spells slots are provided by a component from Houserules tweaks pack.
    Just wanted to say that as of now the latest Version seems to work flawlessly with Dragonspear UI++ :)

Tried BG1EE and EET and had no issues so far...
    Are there any suggestions when to install the mod on a heavy modded Setup? I have the same Problems as mentioned above, the new spell learning system is skrewed up if you use lot's of other mods, like I do in my EET Setup. No matter if I install it as early or as late as possible.

Seems as if you have to stick with v2.21 for heavy modded games.
  • FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 80
    It's impossible to help you (or at least find which mod(s) are creating a conflict) blindly, without the weidu.log of the installation that create problems.
    edited January 6
    Well... since, as I said, it's the same Problems the user Foxy reported weeks ago, I would suggest to take on his log first, right?
    So you use the same exact mods FoxySherufanir use and in the same order?

His install order was quite a mess, but I am pretty confident that the specific problem he had was due mostly to InfinityUI.

I have no idea of what could be the root cause of your problems, because I have no idea of what you are using.

Should I make a blind guess?

IMHO It's Dragonspear UI++, BUT you a said a few posts ago that with the last version all worked flawlessly and now apparently it doesn't anymore, but I don't know if you still use it. Try with your current install order BUT WITHOUT Dragonspear UI or any other UI mod and check if it works.
    If it does, you have found the problem.
    If not try by installing all the mods one at the time until you find the cause of incompatibility.
    I have no idea why it is such a big hassle to post your weidu.log, but without it I don't think there is much me or anyone else could do to help you.
    edited January 17
    Ok, thx for your time.
    I'll stay with 2.21 then.

Ok, after a break I gave it another try and started a new Setup with EET. This time without Dragonspear UI.
    Experienced the same issues half way the Installation with some NPC, Items and Questmods before trying the latest Shadow Magic Version. Mage Spells are screwed up while strangely the Shadow Disciple is working.

WeiDU Log attached.

Might it be possible that simply EETs "EET alternatives GUI -> Siege of Dragonspear" is causing the Problem?

Installed it pretty early and for the time being 3.0.1 works without issues.
    Time will tell...
    Post edited by Kensei_xXx on
    Something (small) occurs to me. In SoD, there are "Void" weapons that can be crafted from a cursed rock. The arrows and bolts are pretty good for the final boss, but the sword and hammer, which can be imported to BG2, are fairly useless (only magic damage, no STR additions, doesn't work with kit skills, STR malus, attack effect is easily resisted...). But maybe they could be reworked to be effective for shadow magic kits.
    Kensei_xXx wrote: »
    Ok, thx for your time.

Ok, after a break I gave it another try and started a new Setup with EET. This time without Dragonspear UI.
    Experienced the same issues half way the Installation with some NPC, Items and Questmods before trying the latest Shadow Magic Version. Mage Spells are screwed up while strangely the Shadow Disciple is working.

WeiDU Log attached.

Might it be possible that simply EETs "EET alternatives GUI -> Siege of Dragonspear" is causing the Problem?

Installed it pretty early and for the time beeing 3.0.1 works without issues.
    Time will tell...

So, Shadow Magic works, but you have problems with mage classes? With "Spells are screwed" you refer to descriptions, effects or do you have more complex problems with interface?

Looking at the log:

- beside a few redundant tweaks (ee cosmetic tweak and SoDietoBG2 do the same thing, they're both from Daeros if I remember correctly);
    - some items mod in my opinion are installed a bit too early, I will move them all after quest mods and npc mods, near where you have itemupgrade.
    - I noticed you installed mods in alphabetical order by category. It's not necessarily the best, some NPCs mod could have specific install orders, but in most cases they would just lose some crossmod content, nothing too serious.

If you manage to have a working install (regarding Shadow magic) to this point, it should be easy to identify problems with other kits you install after.

Frenzgyn wrote: »
    Ok, thx for your time.

WeiDU Log attached.

Installed it pretty early and for the time beeing 3.0.1 works without issues.
    Time will tell...

So, Shadow Magic works, but you have problems with mage classes? With "Spells are screwed" you refer to descriptions, effects or do you have more complex problems with interface?...

The Interface is showing the normal mage Spells instead of the Shadow ones.

Suprisingly that's only the case for pure Shadow Adepts. Multiclasses and Shadow Disciples are working well.
    It might have something to do with the mage schools, since it shows a different one when starting a game after EET_End Setup is executed.
    Frenzgyn wrote: »
    ...Looking at the log:

- beside a few redundant tweaks (ee cosmetic tweak and SoDietoBG2 do the same thing, they're both from Daeros if I remember correctly);
    - some items mod in my opinion are installed a bit too early, I will move them all after quest mods and npc mods, near where you have itemupgrade.
    - I noticed you installed mods in alphabetical order by category. It's not necessarily the best, some NPCs mod could have specific install orders, but in most cases they would just lose some crossmod content, nothing too serious.

If you manage to have a working install (regarding Shadow magic) to this point, it should be easy to identify problems with other kits you install after...

After some trial & error, it's supposingly one of the NPC Mods. Would you suspect anyone from my modlist? Till now I was too lazy to try them out one after another.

I also found out, that the newest SCS Version is causing Shadow Magic to malefunction. After installing both Mods, the spellselection Interface isn't showing any Spells for Shadow Adepts at all.

Connelly wrote: »
    Something (small) occurs to me. In SoD, there are "Void" weapons that can be crafted from a cursed rock. The arrows and bolts are pretty good for the final boss, but the sword and hammer, which can be imported to BG2, are fairly useless (only magic damage, no STR additions, doesn't work with kit skills, STR malus, attack effect is easily resisted...). But maybe they could be reworked to be effective for shadow magic kits.

Nice idea. Maybe turn the Void Hammer into something useful especially for Cleric/Shadow Adept or Fighter/Cleric/Shadow Adept Multiclasses.
    And make the Sword unique for Shade Warriors/Shadow Enforcers.

If we are supposed to make suggestions here, I would find it pretty nice to ad an Option for turning Xan into a Shadow Adept. Like Artisan does with his Kitpack Mod for various other NPCs.
    That would fit his mood and origin as a Greycloack perfectly in my opinion.

The Interface is showing the normal mage Spells instead of the Shadow ones.

Suprisingly that's only the case for pure Shadow Adepts. Multiclasses and Shadow Disciples are working well.
    It might have something to do with the mage schools, since it shows a different one when starting a game after EET_End Setup is executed.

After some trial & error, it's supposingly one of the NPC Mods. Would you suspect anyone from my modlist? Till now I was too lazy to try them out one after another.

Ha! Only SA, that's new!

Regarding NPCs mods... well, Dusk v1.00 had some compatibility issues with other mods hopefully fixed with the latest version (and a new one is coming, I see plenty of activity on their github), but it seems very strange to me that it interact with the interface in such a detrimental way.
    Neh'Taniel it's not the last version (7.2) but it should not matter in this regard.

Honestly I don't know.

Did you check EET Gui eventually? Never used it, I don't know how radical is.

Keep us updated if you find any hint, it could be useful for bug tracking / other players.