Skip to content

[mod] The White Queen

13»

Comments

• kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2021
    I ran into an interesting bug...I got the book off of Random Experience Bag #130958710375 in Firkraag's dungeon, read it, got the Silent Swamps location unlocked on my map...but now, after killing Firkraags, the location is gone and buying and reading the book from Galoomp doesn't do anything.
  • zoharzohar Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2021
    Hello, it seems I have a problem with this mod.

I took VIconia as instructed and she was kidnapped. But when I free her she lost ALL her equipment. She had things like mace of disruption but I can't find it anywhere! I looked on crates, etc but nothing, I can't loose my loot, guys! lol

Any helps is apreciated!
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    She drops everything when she's kidnapped. It was then when you should have took her items, but it looks like you missed the pile.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Is this a unique interaction with Viconia, because I don't recall a kidnapping in any of my playthroughs?
    Yes, there is a special encounter if you have Viconia in your party.
  • zoharzohar Member Posts: 25
    Just finded it on the dungeon start like Lava said. I freaked out for a second lol
    I'm glad you found it! It would be a pity if it all disappeared during some rest or something.
    The White Queen is now available in Czech! All thanks to Edvin.

Cheers!

• fr0fr0 Member Posts: 2
    I have a strange bug where one of my party members got afflicted by the Maze effect. It eventually wore off, but the animation is repeating over and over again. Along with the sound effect.
  • Gamer_1745Gamer_1745 Member Posts: 2
    I ran into this bug: https://youtu.be/y_lli4JyKDo
    Hey, I don't think it's a bug. In the villages you were approached by a druid that told you that you need to stab the Queen with a branch of the enchanted tree. He gave you the branch and before you can do anything to her, you need to equip the item and literally stab her with it. Otherwise, she will remain immortal. It was all in the dialogue.
  • Gamer_1745Gamer_1745 Member Posts: 2
    OK, I will try that. "It was all in the dialogue" I bet it was, but there is a lot of it & I likely skipped it.

Thanks
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2023
    > OK, I will try that. "It was all in the dialogue" I bet it was, but there is a lot of it & I likely skipped it.

I had that too and I think there is some way for insta-death, e. g. explained with some ward. I
    think I ran into it when I dropped the item before leaving again or something.

I tend to skip dialogue too, but the item to kill her was quite clear from the dialogue. It's actually
    a fairly straightforward mod - just go in and kill them all. :D

The black queen mini-quest was also hilarious, Viconia was very pissed and the dialogue reflected
    that. I guess my only gripe is that the item offered by the demon is too good to pass; it seems to be
    the best weapon of its type. No complaints as such but I find it much more useful than the two
    scimitars found in the quest too. The extra ability of that item is sooooooo good. It literally
    solo-decided some battles, or at the least was a huge help, more so than most other items. I am
    not suggesting to nerf it, but just wanted to say that I always head straight for the item, so perhaps
    the other rewards could be reviewed - e. g. made a bit better (though not overpowering).

Overall I think this is in lava's top 3 mods; I have not played the recent ravenloft one yet though.
  • akaineakaine Member Posts: 11
    edited March 11
    This could have been a great story mod. However, as of v6.93 it's got a number of issues and observations:

Bugs:
    • "The White Queen" quest journal entry does not seem to get updated after a certain point (probably the initial dialog with the druid). Even though the quest update notification appears multiple times along the playthrough, the journal entry stays the same showing the text "Something strange is happening in the swamps...".
    • "The White Queen's Palace: A Demon" quest does not get updated or closed (even after the main quest gets completed) if the player decides to kill the demon either by attacking it directly or by making it hostile through the appropriate dialog option. The corresponding dialog with one of the party members saying that it was a good idea to kill the demon does appear though, so it seems some scripting does execute after all after you kill it.
    • The White Queen has the portrait of White Enchanter.
    • After the player kills the White Queen, if one lets the druid go away, he just stays there with his dialog resetting to the state where the player could ask him questions about the White Queen, the barrier, etc.
    • The White Queen's last dialog lines (where the player can ask her if she tried to look for her child, etc.) do not ever appear if the player enters her throne room with any members of the party, except the player themselves. After the dialog cuts on her telling you about her lost child, she just stays there with the neutral marker, while the white golems charge at the party.

Weird scripting / "unfinished" story twists:
    • Not sure if there should be a quest update after killing the White Queen, but this event seems to be quite important.
    • When the player enters the queen's room she immediately initiates a dialog. If the player choses a "peaceful" path through the dialog, everything points to that one could take her side by killing the druid and help her end her torment by using the tree somehow. During this dialog at no moment the queen tells the player that she would want them dead regardless. But once the dialog finishes, she is hostile anyway, which almost feels like a bug. A non-hostile way to deal with her would be great, as the story practically brings the player to a choice between the queen and the druid, but then removes it with the queen attacking you without any reason no matter what you say.
    • The Druid disappears if the player progresses the quest all the way to the queen's room but does not kill her. The druid reappears in front of the castle only and only after the player kills the queen, which is a bit weird, considering that the story practically brings the player to a choice between the queen and the druid (apologies for the repeat), so it would seem logical if one could face him before killing the queen.
    • After the player kills the druid, Shaneelah the White Hag suddenly appears, throws some informative rhyme and then disappears as abruptly as she appeared ending the quest and leaving us with the "what was that?" expression. IMHO it feels too abrupt and "unfinished". And it's even worse in case the player decides to leave the druid live. Some additional dialog lines there that would make the player understand and feel that the story has been concluded would probably salvage this, at least partially.

Questionable balancing:
    Example: White golems are waaay more difficult compared to the rest of the enemies. Especially in the White Queen's room, where there are two of them and you cannot lure them out, making it nearly impossible to kill/survive if you're in the mid levels (10-12), unless you seriously specialize your entire party to counter them with specific spells, expensive potions and high tier magical gear.
    Hi,
    so, to confirm things, I just replayed the whole mod to make sure how things work. Let me address things one by one:
    "The White Queen" quest journal entry does not seem to get updated after a certain point (probably the initial dialog with the druid). Even though the quest update notification appears multiple times along the playthrough, the journal entry stays the same showing the text "Something strange is happening in the swamps...".
    The journal updates properly, but in my older mods when your quest entry is updated, the first one is erased and a new one, longer is added. So there is always just one entry at a time and becomes longer and longer. I checked and everything updated properly, and once I finished the quest, it was marked as solved.
    "The White Queen's Palace: A Demon" quest does not get updated or closed (even after the main quest gets completed) if the player decides to kill the demon either by attacking it directly or by making it hostile through the appropriate dialog option. The corresponding dialog with one of the party members saying that it was a good idea to kill the demon does appear though, so it seems some scripting does execute after all after you kill it.
    If you first got the entry, by - for example - accepting the demon and THEN killed him, you would end up with unerasable entry, yes. The journal would be erased / marked as solved only if you brought him the head. It is fixed in v7.0.
    The White Queen has the portrait of White Enchanter.
    Ah, someone's playing with some mod that adds portraits to the game, as White Enchanter does not have a portrait at all, it is added by a different mod. Furthermore, I think the other mod messes the portraits, because what they mark as Enchanter's portrait, is the White Queen's portrait, and what they mark as White Queen's portrait is White Beastmaster's portrait. So that's actually not this mod's fault.
    After the player kills the White Queen, if one lets the druid go away, he just stays there with his dialog resetting to the state where the player could ask him questions about the White Queen, the barrier, etc.
    That's fixed in v7.0.
    The White Queen's last dialog lines (where the player can ask her if she tried to look for her child, etc.) do not ever appear if the player enters her throne room with any members of the party, except the player themselves. After the dialog cuts on her telling you about her lost child, she just stays there with the neutral marker, while the white golems charge at the party.
    Not sure if I ever saw that and I don't think anyone ever reported it. I'm not sure what happened in your game, but I added additional checks for the party members (or rather interjections) so perhaps that's going to help with this one. The checks are present in v7.0.
    Not sure if there should be a quest update after killing the White Queen, but this event seems to be quite important.
    That happens if you finish the dialogue. Everything get's updated and all. Not sure if you killed her without finishing the dialogue or what, but that surely messes up the variables.
    When the player enters the queen's room she immediately initiates a dialog. If the player choses a "peaceful" path through the dialog, everything points to that one could take her side by killing the druid and help her end her torment by using the tree somehow. During this dialog at no moment the queen tells the player that she would want them dead regardless. But once the dialog finishes, she is hostile anyway, which almost feels like a bug. A non-hostile way to deal with her would be great, as the story practically brings the player to a choice between the queen and the druid, but then removes it with the queen attacking you without any reason no matter what you say.
    She wants to die. She doesn't want any of this to continue. She mentioned that in the dialogue.
    @58 = ~I want this death, without you this war may never end, but please, don't let him go. Defeat the druid. Do the same with the hag if you find her. I beg you.~
    The Druid disappears if the player progresses the quest all the way to the queen's room but does not kill her. The druid reappears in front of the castle only and only after the player kills the queen, which is a bit weird, considering that the story practically brings the player to a choice between the queen and the druid (apologies for the repeat), so it would seem logical if one could face him before killing the queen.
    There is no option to progress without killing the queen, this is the only way and the real choice is the final talk with the druid. Again, Queen wants it to end and her life is prolonged already, with necromancer's magic. She becomes hostile, because she is taking the choice form you, she is deciding for herself to throw herself into the battle for the last time. So it's as intended. To progress, you must become her end.
    After the player kills the druid, Shaneelah the White Hag suddenly appears, throws some informative rhyme and then disappears as abruptly as she appeared ending the quest and leaving us with the "what was that?" expression. IMHO it feels too abrupt and "unfinished". And it's even worse in case the player decides to leave the druid live. Some additional dialog lines there that would make the player understand and feel that the story has been concluded would probably salvage this, at least partially.
    The talk is short, but it is as it is. The had is supposed to provide the feeling of slight confusion and suggest it was all messed up, because... well, it was. I am not going to add new content to this after 13 years from the release. The mod is already translated into 8 more languages and that would provide new lines for all the options. Plus, I am happy with the content as it is.
    Example: White golems are waaay more difficult compared to the rest of the enemies. Especially in the White Queen's room, where there are two of them and you cannot lure them out, making it nearly impossible to kill/survive if you're in the mid levels (10-12), unless you seriously specialize your entire party to counter them with specific spells, expensive potions and high tier magical gear.
    Huh, I more often hear that my mods are too easy, not that they are too difficult. Anyway, they are meant to be difficult so I will keep them as they are. If they are too difficult, just return to the quest later, when you level up or get some more items.

Anyway, these were a couple things that could get a bit improved, I mentioned them above and v7.0 of the mod is now available on my website.

Cheers!
  • FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 80
    It's becoming almost a daily routine to check all of your mods for new updates :smiley: and they often happen to magically be there! Thanks for the continous, decennal, support!
    Thank you!
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 51
    WQXSTON.baf uses missing deathvar : !Dead("WQxNec") // Necromancer (I suppose ?) 's deathvar is WQXN
    Fixed!
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    One of my favorites from the Colors series. A simple dungeon crawl executed well. I like the environments, music and (mostly) the progression of enemies. My feedback:
    White. White. White. I Shall Never Forget exercised some restraint, and Tales of the Deep Gardens had the good sense to use many colors. The White Queen harps on like a broken record to its detriment.

There is a great progression of enemies: first the swamp creatures, then we switch to undead for reasons explained later, then a human servant of the queen with undead, then several other human servants, then animal servants and golems, and for the finale the queen herself with...two golems. A missed opportunity here, in my opinion, not taking advantage of the breadth of enemies already introduced.

It has been my experience that the golems tend to kill the enchanter and the queen herself with their cone of cold. I think any enemy accompanied by the golems should have a lot of cold resistance.
    Thanks for your feedback and the support in general!
    Cheers! :)