Skip to content

The worst spells of the Baldur's Gate series

2»

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @Grond0 I'd agree with those, with the exception of Energy Drain. It's not that I don't appreciate the utility of weakening opponents, but that's still much too little to expect from a level 9 spell. Now, if there was a level 4 Enervation spell with a similar function, then that would be respectable, but otherwise, it doesn't drain enough levels to justify being so costly.
    HoopleDoopleCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited December 2016
    @Abi_Dalzim I agree it's far from a great spell, but it's by no means useless against a single dangerous opponent such as a dragon. In that situation draining a couple of levels can make a significant difference to a range of attributes, e.g. in a quick test with Firkraag a single energy drain reduced his THAC0 from -12 to -7. If you compare that for instance against the 4-40 damage done by meteor storm (some of which can be resisted) energy drain looks a long way from the 'worst' spell.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2016
    Grond0 said:

Abi_Dalzim I agree it's far from a great spell, but it's by no means useless against a single dangerous opponent such as a dragon. In that situation draining a couple of levels can make a significant difference to a range of attributes, e.g. in a quick test with Firkraag a single energy drain reduced his THAC0 from -12 to -7. If you compare that for instance against the 4-40 damage done by meteor storm (some of which can be resisted) energy drain looks a long way from the 'worst' spell.

Also, to prevent some high level mages (level 19, 18) from casting level 9 spells (but since you already have access to level 9 spells yourself you might not care much anyway about this particular one, but I swear it is useful against mages if you have this in mind).
    Grond0 said:

@Abi_Dalzim I agree it's far from a great spell, but it's by no means useless against a single dangerous opponent such as a dragon. In that situation draining a couple of levels can make a significant difference to a range of attributes, e.g. in a quick test with Firkraag a single energy drain reduced his THAC0 from -12 to -7. If you compare that for instance against the 4-40 damage done by meteor storm (some of which can be resisted) energy drain looks a long way from the 'worst' spell.

Well, I don't find Meteor Swarm a great comparison either, since I think that's also not too great a spell. Honestly, the OP has a point that there's a serious lack of quality control at level nine. Still, this is the same level as Time Stop and Shapechange and Wish (to say nothing of Summon Planetar or other HLA's you get at the same time), so I think those should be the yardsticks here. Time Stop would allow you to unload a Spell Trigger full of Lower Resistances, then Greater Malison, and then Finger of Death, potentially killing Firkraag then and there. Hard to match that.
    CrevsDaak
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    ^Yeah I agree there. I'm sure using Summon Nishruu/Summon Haskeashar isn't the most effective way of dealing with mages either, but it's a really interesting summon.
    CrevsDaakBlackravenPokota
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: Perhaps an update fixed the problem. Testing in an earlier thread about saving throws found that level drain had no such effects on enemies.

Any summoned critter loses all its memorized spells when level drained. It's odd that it happened to Firkraag.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @semiticgod level drain worked properly in BGT as well.

Saving throws are potentially affected by level drain, although they may not change from a single drain. The reason level drain is so nasty for characters (and especially the PC) is that it resets stats such as saving throws at the basic values for the level you've been drained to - irrespective of any bonuses you normally have, e.g. from equipment worn. I think the same applies to enemies, which is why draining Firkraag from level 23 to 21 was able to knock 5 off his THAC0. However, it had no effect on his saving throws as those are standard and there's no difference between level 23 and level 21. If you drain him to lower levels though you will see the saving throws change.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovKurona
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I don't like Larloch's Lesser Lifedrain very much. It does the same damage as Magic Missile, but does not improve over time. The HP it drains don't seem worthwile to me, because once your low-level wizard actually starts to take damage it's time to run anyways.
    I find LMD and vampiric touch particularly useful for mages that want to get past traps such as acid blobs.
    GoturalCrevsDaaksemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    I really hate those acid blobs. Still, I think that's what Protection From Acid is for.
    CrevsDaak
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    Goodberry has one of the best little item icons. I love the look of those purple/blue berries, so I used DLTCEP to make an override item that makes the berries heal 4 hp at a time, instead of the original 1 hp. Then it's a good 2nd level spell to have around, since the berries never expire.
    JoenSoCrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Hold Person. The Wizard Spell.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Hold Person. The Wizard Spell.

You sir clearly never played a Fighter/Mage/Thief solo properly in BG1. That spell is wonderful. Instantly disable a small group of enemies instead of more Fireballs I won't even use in the fight? YES, please!

I mean, it's a party friendly spell you can use in close combat (no chances of it backfiring like Web or Stinking Cloud), besides it allows you to utterly destroy enemies with free DPS from your attacks instead of spending more spells. Of course it's not the best spell in the game, but it's actually very good.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017
    Hold Monster (Person), Emotion: Hopelessness (Sleep) and Feeblemind are the best disable spells ever.

Domination (Dire Charm/Charm Person) is always a nice way to have another pair of hands helping the party.

I don't like Chaos (Confusion) because I don't like to chase the enemies (but it is very useful if you have Kivan and/or Coran in your party).

Seriously, any Enchanter own BG1 without breaking a sweat. Specially with Greater Malison and Glitterdust.

I'll try an Enchanter -> Cleric someday. Just because Enchanter don't get awesome high level spells and would be awesome to add some Doom in this mix.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Unpopular opinion but I really dont like:

Protection from magical weapons: unbalanced and bad designed, makes the mantle spells obsolete and cheese with normal weapon immunity creatures.

Spell immunity: bad designed cheap spell for bloody powergamers.

Improved haste: there is no reason for this spell to exists, so much op.

Imprisonement: it works well in a pnp campaing but not in a single player video game, just not balanced or not well counterable.