Skip to content

Fondest Memory of BGI?

Zaknafein_DoUrdenZaknafein_DoUrden Member Posts: 8
Go!

Comments

• NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    The best was when I found out how to pick locks and disarm traps ( my bundle didn't bring any physical manuals and my computer at that time couldn't run Adobe Reader).

The most hilarious was when I used an amazing unidentified girdle that changed my sex afterwards and cursed me :1.
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
    Sounds strange but as a young lad playing it when it first came out, I remember watching my grandfather play for hours. Then when I finally got some time to play it alone... I remember freezing at the title screen, the music rooting me to the spot, terrified that the little hand-pointer was going to reach through the screen and grab me!

Needless to say, half an hour later I was killed by a wolf and a gibberling. This was the moment I became fascinated by the game. So hard on the player, not like many of the hand-holding games at the time or currently out now.

Still fascinates me to this day.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Like @Dantos4, I was a little kid who was intimidated (in a good way) by the gritty difficulty of the game.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The music and 'feel' of the opening character building screens. I was really excited to be making a character.
  • FangFang Member Posts: 2
    My fondest memory was when I found out that the female gnome character had a full beard.
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2012
    It sounds strange but my fondest memory (I think I was 11) is actually playing the game and then letting my older brother (whose game it was) take over because I was so inspired by it that I went outside and started my own "Baldur's Gate" with a rake handle as a sword/staff-thing. I encountered wolves and hobgoblins and had to flip a coin to see how each encounter went. I made all the rules up on the spot and thinking back I am pretty sure if I would make new ones up just to come out victorious all the time.
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    Fondest moment? january 1999, unpacking the box, opening CDtray of my pentium+ 200 and hearing that o so familiar sound!

Hands down, best memory of BG1 :)
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    running the game first few times, menu music, character creation, nice portraits. And this awesome RPG feel of the inns in the game, the forests and whole landscape.

BG2 was great, better even, but lost out a bit on the climate. Or maybe i just got older.

PS. was 15-16 when BG1 was issued.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    My fondest BG1 memory is a tie between hearing that ominous song from the autorun screen and the sound that played when you clicked on Boo. For some reason, hearing that *squeak* and imagining Minsc's harsh glare still makes me laugh out loud.
  • The great atmosphere right from the main menu screen.
    The main theme from "Exploring the Plains".
    The thrill and suspense of running away from Candlekeep via the underground dungeon.

Oh to be young again... :P
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    My first experience with Baldurs Gate was from Baldurs Gate 2, so when I first played BG1 I was really thrilled to see Gorion for the very first time and talk to him, or to meet Minsc in Nashkell who already became my favorite during BG2.

When I finally hit level 2 with one of the characters in the Nashkell mine I felt extremely powerful, like nothing could stop me :D

Also, when I met Elminster (when he introduced himself that is) I felt really important and a part of something very big.

The point where I first entered the Baldurs Gate city was also very epic. So many quests, so much going on, Baldurs Gate still remains one of the most detailed citys ever created in a video game to me. Baldurs Gate definitely wins over Athkatla, which is nice but lacks detail and looks more like snapshots of a city than a complete and living town.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Korax good dog! Good dog, yes!

...and talking to Cyric in ToB was awesome.

BUT the best sensation was throwing my first fireball at a horde of gibberlings. Very satisfying, even to this very day. I hope they keep the old BG1 wall-o-flame graphics for fireballs...
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    If they keep the option for disabling the 3D rendered magic effects, then the fireball will most likely be like the old wall-o-flame. But if you'll be only able to use the opengl 3D rendering for magic effects, it's BG2 style fireball all the way. Which isn't that bad after all, I find it more fitting actually. It looks like a different kind of fire, hotter and more like an explosion, while the BG1 fireball is just like stuff simply burns everywhere and then goes out immidiately.
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    Wait... the fireball effects are different? Or is it maybe just for when TOB is installed?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    My fondest memory of BG 1 was playing through all of Durlag's Tower. That place still inspires and intruiges me up to today. Another fond memory is the fight against the emon Aec'Letec in Ulgoth's Beard. I kept on dying over and over again. Out of frustration and despair, I created an account on the now closed down Bioware forums. I got to meet a lot of friendly people there and also @Cheesebelly, my 'oldest' friend (3 years by now!) and beloved boyfriend. The atmosphere on those boards was really good too, especially in comparison to the current Bioware Social Network site. Those were the days...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    *demon (stupid typos are stupid :p)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    my fondest memories...hmmm getting my group up to level 2 and smacking hordes of gibberlings. still brings me delight to this day.

but probably my fondest moment and biggest surprise was wandering around Nashkel, running away from Noober, raiding the farmhouses...errr I mean conversing with the goodly farmers about crop conditions, yes...and tripping over that hidden cache in the fields with the Ankheg armour. had never found it before, and took me many times after in subsequent games to stumble across it again...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Getting into Baldur's Gate for the first time. I was like a hick from the country looking around the big city. I couldn't believe anywhere could be so big. There were so many people and so much to do and see.
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I was rather new to the game but found out quickly I could export my character, while wearing a battle tutorial platemail and I got to keep it after importing. I was like woooow.

I don't do stuff like that anymore though.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i was running a solo dwarven cleric/fighter---i roundied the corner of a cliff in one of the maps in the lower SE corner & was surrounded by a horde of gibberlings...100's of them, i'd guess
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    ahhh the gibberling killing cliffs...good times....
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2012
    Probably flooding the Cloakwood Mine. That felt great for some reason ^^

I also really enjoyed the overall outdoor scenery and ambience. The trees. The exploration...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Dino said:

Probably flooding the Cloakwood Mine. That felt great for some reason ^^

I also really enjoyed the overall outdoor scenery and ambience. The trees. The exploration...

That explains where all these gibberlings come from. Came popping out of the mine like ping pong balls.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I think I first played BG in 2003. I hadnt played much D&D since early 90s,. It, and BG2, were good diversions in difficult times. Reaching the Friendly Arm was a fav early moment, where the bug really bit me.
    I was very poor, in a cold apartment, with the old PC fired up, smoking a pipe and playing BG.
  • CobbwebCobbweb Member Posts: 26
    Spending hours exploring Candlekeep, not realizing I could leave. Then the countless hours after I found out I could leave.
  • mrhedgehogmrhedgehog Member Posts: 14
    Minsc and Boo!
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I think the most memorable part for me was the epic theme song and rolling my first character. It just brought back the feelings of playing AD&D as a kid.
  • Prince_DamienPrince_Damien Member Posts: 18
    My fondest memory, hmm... The first I can think about is the first time I entered Friendly Arm Inn. The atmosphere, the music....
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Getting Graywolfs sword for the very first time. Coolest looking sword in the original.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Flooding the cloakwood mines made me think "ahh, now the shit got serious!" - such a climax!