Skip to content

Can't play SoD

AceBean27AceBean27 Member Posts: 5
Hello.

I recently finished a play through of the base game of BG:EE. I then purchased and installed the SoD DLC, all through Steam. From everything I can see, it appears to have downloaded and installed correctly. However, I can't see anyway to actually play the campaign.

I would expect to have a button to press in the main menu, Siege of Dragonspear or something, but can't see anything of the sort. I just have this:

qbmkcel7j54q.png

It does look like something has installed though. The menu has changed and looks different:

o8b1j756t8nb.png

So far as I can tell, everything about the installation looks hunky dory, Steam thinks it's installed, there's a dlc folder that appeared in the folder locations etc... It's just missing a big button in the main menu that says "Start SoD"

I have the popular SCS mod installed for the base game, just the main AI/difficulty mod. the version of the base game is 2.6.6. I'm on Windows 10, I'm using Steam, not sure what other information is relevant.

Thanks.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    are you using some sort of UI mod as well? because your menus look very strange for someone owning SoD
    JuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I don't use Steam myself, but that is the menu for the game when started through BGEE only. If you have SoD installed it's possible to start BGEE either through the above BGEE only or through SoD. I think you need to go back a step to find the command in Steam that starts SoD.
    your main menu should look like this;
    9oqk4riw7mo4.jpg
    AciferJuliusBorisov
    and then you would click on the "SoD" icon to start a SoD game
  • AceBean27AceBean27 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback

@Grondo - I'm not sure there is a separate way to start either game through Steam. They should both start from the same place with a button in the main menu to choose between the two.

@sarevok57 - I don't have any UI mods installed, not that I'm aware of at least. I have the Sword Coast Strategems installed is all.

It does look wonky in game too:

eaxk5osno818.png

I uninstall the SoD DLC and it goes back to normal and working properly:

t6w3fussptoa.png

The first picture above is with the SoD DLC ticked in Steam, the second one is with it unticked. So the installation has certainly done something to my game, just not what I would expect.

what if you uninstalled all your mods, then tried running SoD and then if that works, install all your mods again, and see if it works then
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    @AceBean27 SoD purchased from Steam or GOG cannot be modded right away because the SoD expansion is installed in an unmoddable format. You have to install DLC Merger *before* any other mods.

You can try to fix your current installation by
    - uninstalling all mods
    - installing DLC Merger
    - reinstalling your mods

However, since you have just started SoD, it might be safer to reinstall or restore the game through the Steam client. Then install DLC Merger followed by SCS or any other mods you'd like to install, and then start a new SoD game. You can import you final BG1 save in SoD if you want to continue with your old party.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AceBean27AceBean27 Member Posts: 5
    Yeah @argent77 , just a simple case of uninstalling the SCS stuff and reinstalling the dame, now SoD is working as I expect.
    JuliusBorisov