Skip to content

[MOD] "Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders" - Banter/Quest/Romance Mod for BG2!

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    I consoled Shahbaz into the bank. He appears but simply asks, "To what do I owe the pleasure?" The only answer available is: "Nothing, I just came by to say hello."

I assume that there is supposed to be something more, concerning the recovery of Fayaz's treasure (or something along those lines)?
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2021
    I consoled Shahbaz into the bank. He appears but simply asks, "To what do I owe the pleasure?" The only answer available is: "Nothing, I just came by to say hello."

I assume that there is supposed to be something more, concerning the recovery of Fayaz's treasure (or something along those lines)?

First, please check what the ANpiratQuest variable is equal to:
    CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("ANpiratQuest","GLOBAL")

If it is 7 or 8, then the quest about Fayaz has been completed correctly.
    In this case, enter the following command in the console:
    CLUAConsole:​SetGlobal(“ANshakal”,”GLOBAL”,99)

And after that, try to talk to Shahbaz again.

I just haven't assigned the correct WEIGHT to this dialog so that it starts instead of its normal one. This is my mistake - I did not thoroughly test the second branch of the quests (with Jackal and Shahbaz). Thank you very much for finding them and helping to fix them!

The ANpiratQuest variable was 8.
    Everything worked fine after I followed your instructions.
    Cheers! B)
    Can anyone help with proofreading the setup.tra file in the English version please?
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/blob/main/HerThiMoney/tra/english/setup.tra
    It contains entries in the journal, descriptions of items and the poem "Five peaks" (which speaks of five mountains, but in fact the names of five fingers of the hand are allegorically encrypted to solve the riddle).

This is the last file to remain unproofread and help is greatly needed. At the moment, the translation of this file is done in a machine way.
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    Austin87 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with proofreading the setup.tra file in the English version please?
    It contains entries in the journal, descriptions of items and the poem "Five peaks" (which speaks of five mountains, but in fact the names of five fingers of the hand are allegorically encrypted to solve the riddle).

This is the last file to remain unproofread and help is greatly needed. At the moment, the translation of this file is done in a machine way.

I will take a crack at it later today.
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    Fishmalk_1 wrote: »

I will take a crack at it later today.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EZRCCQT-sqEc6log-oY_OJowSXd61--ZENpfFiiY6Wc/edit?usp=sharing

Here you go. The changed text is bolded, with my own comments in the bulleted sections. I tried to limit my editorializing as much as possible.
    Fishmalk_1 wrote: »
    Here you go. The changed text is bolded, with my own comments in the bulleted sections. I tried to limit my editorializing as much as possible.
    Oh, thank you so much for your help! :) I will update this file soon!

edited June 2021
    Mod has been updated to version 3.0!!!
    Now the English version is completely ready, the texts have been proofread! If someone finds inaccuracies in the texts that could have been missed, please let us know!

Download from GitHub
    Download from Dropbox

Changelog:
    • All bugs found by testers have been fixed!
    • English translation was proofread (thanks contralexical and Fishmalk_1)
    • fixed properties of some items (thanks TotoR)
    • function code from tipun (in the first component of the mod) was improved. Now in Spellhold, when party members speak out about the transformation of the protagonist into the Slayer, all lines will appear (previously, if some NPC had more than one phrase, then only the first one could be displayed)

edited July 2021
    Mod has been updated to version 3.1!!!

Download from GitHub
    Download from Dropbox

Changelog:
    • Added a new mini-quest in component №1 (texts by Alisia)! This is a small incident that will happen in the Tethyr forest, if Aerie in your party.
    • Fixed bugs in component №3 related to the division into male/female character
    • Now the quest about the magic lamp Aran will give in almost all cases:
      - a female character, even if a romance not active (provided that it did not start), after the completion of the first Aran quest and the expiration of two days
      - a female character with an active romance - after completing the first romance quests, as before
      - male character - after the completion of the first quest of Aran and the expiration of two days
    • Added cross-mod reactions of Smiling Imp’s Garrick and Сoran from the "BG1 NPC to BG2" mod and the Kulyok’s Сoran from the "Coran" mod BG2 "on the romance with Aran
    • Improved English text of component №3
    • Fixed a bug that appeared in version 3.0 when installing the first component on BGT (the function file was rolled back to an earlier version until the problem was fixed)
    Ulkesh wrote: »
    make it possible to summon Aran just to talk with him in the pocket plane.
    Thank you very much for the idea, it has been implemented and a new dialog has been added to ToB!

Mod has been updated to version 3.2!

Download from GitHub
    Download from Dropbox

Changelog:
    • Expanded ToB-part of the romance with Aran in component №3 (a new small episode just before the very end of the game), texts by Alisia!
    • Fixed several minor bugs and issues in ToB

If anyone can help with proofreading the new text, please see the lines @79 - @122 in the ANAranToB.tra file!

edited August 2021
    Mod has been updated!!
    New version - 3.3!

Download from GitHub
    Download from Dropbox
    • Added a major quest from Alisia to component №3. It has 203 new lines, 8 journal entries, new characters! The quest is available for any characters. If you are planning to start a romance with Aran, then now it will start after completing a new quest.
    • Added cross-mod reactions to Smiling Imp's Garrick from the "BG1 NPC to BG2" mod when placing him a statue in Trademeet and meeting with the storyteller. Ideas and replica texts - Alisia.
    • Minor bugs fixed, code improved
    • Taking into account two quests that are not related to the romance, the name of the third component has been changed to "Shadow-Covered Love & Death"

Important! If you have component 3 installed, and especially if a romance with Aran is active, do not rush to complete chapter 3 and sail on the ship, otherwise you will miss something!

If anyone can help with proofreading the new text, please see the ANbeshaba.tra file, lines @79 - @122 in the ANAranToB.tra file, lines @1107 - @1114 in the setup.tra file!
    Post edited by Austin87 on
    edited August 2021
    Mod updated, fixed installation error in English version!

New version - 3.4!

https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/tags/v.3.4.zip
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oz200sfnmvmi6j/Heroes,_Thieves_and_Moneylenders.rar?dl=0

Thanks to Lysan Lurraxol for finding the problem!
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Hello! Quick question about the expanded interjections component. Do most of the NPCs have a similar amount of additional interjections, or do some characters get more? Also, is it a significant increase, or is it just 1 or 2 interjections scattered throughout the game?

I'm looking forward to trying it out!
    edited August 2021
    Hello! Quick question about the expanded interjections component. Do most of the NPCs have a similar amount of additional interjections, or do some characters get more? Also, is it a significant increase, or is it just 1 or 2 interjections scattered throughout the game?

I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Hello! Thank you very much for your interest in mod!
    To answer your question, new interjections have been added throughout the game. Some NPCs have more interjections, some have less, because I and my co-authors knew some NPCs better than others.
    Those with little new text are Dorn, Yoshimo, Valygar, Mazzy and especially Hexxat. All other NPCs have a lot of text added - especially a lot for Jaheira, Korgan, Aerie, Minsc, Imoen, Edwin.

In addition to interjections, the first component of the mod adds:
    - a few new mini-quests (for example, if Cernd in the party, a mini-quest with milking a cow in the Slums will be available, in the Government District a nobleman will give a new quest, etc.)
    - NPC reactions to killing powerful monsters (dragons, lich Kangaxx)
    - new dialogs between the protagonist and the NPC (for example, a large dialogue with Edwin in the Underdark)
    - new banters between NPCs
    - Keldorn and Cernd's reaction to each other's family quests (if someone's quest is completed before the other and both are in a group)
    - extended solution to the quest about Kaza book, if the group has Keldorn, Edwin or both together (in this case, there will be a dispute between them)
    - extended quest with a chicken in the Umar Hills (if the protagonist is a ranger, or there are rangers or druids in his party, now it will be possible to solve the quest in many different ways)
    - many funny reactions of the NPC when solving riddles in Spellhold (including the NPC from the "BG1 NPC in BG2" mod)
    - new reactions of several NPCs to the installation of statues in Trademeet and improved statues (with the names of NPCs on them)
    - an old storyteller in two taverns who will tell stories about the player's adventures (everything is greatly altered)
    - and other

P.S. If someone offers ideas for new interjections for some NPCs, I will be happy to add new ones to the mod!
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Sounds amazing! Interjections are as important as banters for me, so this is exactly the type of mod I like. Would you recommend starting a new game to avoid any potential problems, or could I install it and start using it in a game I've already begun?

I really love your energy and enthusiasm for modding, by the way! Keep up the great work.
    edited August 2021
    Thanks a lot for your support! :)
    Would you recommend starting a new game to avoid any potential problems, or could I install it and start using it in a game I've already begun?

I would advise starting a new game because some interjections have been added to the Irenicus dungeon. And some mini-quests will not work if the areas where they start have already been loaded earlier.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited August 2021
    got an error when installing componant 3

ERROR: No translation provided for @151
    ERROR: [HerThiMoney/cre/ANmess2.cre] -> [override/ANmess2.cre] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Component 3. Shadow-Covered Love (by Alisia & Austin)], rolling back to previous state
    edited August 2021
    megamike15 wrote: »
    got an error when installing componant 3

ERROR: No translation provided for @151
    ERROR: [HerThiMoney/cre/ANmess2.cre] -> [override/ANmess2.cre] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Component 3. Shadow-Covered Love (by Alisia & Austin)], rolling back to previous state
    I wrote about this in several posts above. Download version 3.4, please, it includes a fix for this bug: https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/tags/v.3.4.zip
    I updated the mod today to fix this.

• tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    megamike15 wrote: »
    charname normally does not speak their dialogue like the other npcs. that's the issue.
    This does not interfere with the gameplay, so it is not a problem in itself.

Hi @Austin87 I'm a longtime fan of your work, going back to when you took over the BG1 NPCs to SOA mod. I believe that you are one of the most productive and exciting modders around today, and I'm always impressed by how quickly you release updates.

I just wanted to offer some constructive feedback, for whatever it's worth.

I agree with the other people in this thread about dialogue for CHARNAME. I believe that it does interfere with gameplay because in the default BG games, CHARNAME *never* has dialogue like other NPCs; all dialogue for CHARNAME is only through choices the player selects in the dialogue window. I believe that this is a very important part of the gameplay.

Just my two cents. Deeply appreciate your work as a modder, and I remain a fan!
    edited August 2021
    tl1942, thank you very much for your feedback, the opinions of the players are very important to me and our entire team!

I think you are right and it is better to give more options to the player. I will take this moment into account and have already forwarded these wishes to my co-authors. Previously, it was used due to the fact that different authors of the texts used a different way of telling the story and someone gave the player more freedom of choice, and someone less.

We are currently creating a new, very large mod that will add new quests and areas to the game, including a new village near Athkatla. In the new mod, we try to use the way you talked about as little as possible!
    edited August 2021
    Small episodes you might have missed (added also in the first post):

1) On the second floor of the bank, pay attention to the cat walking around the location. You can "talk" with cat.
    2) If in the Jackal's quest line you did not share money with Sheila, then in chapter 6 you can meet her again in the Slums. She will look a little different and you will find out how her story ended.
    3) In the dialogue with the city crier, you can now ask him if there is any news about the hero from Baldur's Gate
    4) If the protagonist is an elf, the group is in the forest, there is Aerie in the party and the romance with her is not active, then an additional new dialogue will arise between Aerie and the protagonist
    5) If the reputation of the group increases more than 17, and there is Edwin in the party, then he will start a new small dialogue with the protagonist
    6) If in ToB the player decides to attack Marlow instead of helping him, then good characters (Mazzy, Keldorn, etc.) will speak out against such a decision, leave the party or even attack the protagonist
    7) If you have Viconia in your party, now she will have interjections in the scene where the protagonist sees members of the House DeVir in cages in the Underdark
    8) If there is Anomen in your party, he is accepted into the Order, and Anomen's father is dead, then try to return to Anomen's house - and an additional conversation will begin between Anomen and the protagonist. If there is Minsc in the party, then he will also take part in the conversation
    9) In dialogues with bank employees on both floors of the building, there are several reactions from Jaheira and Jan
    10) In the Bridge area, Anomen will have a new dialogue with a prostitute
    11) There are new characters in the Bridge area - a tramp and his little daughter
    12) After defeating Firkraag and solving Trademeet's problems, go to the taverns of Umar Hills and the Copper Coronet. There you will meet an old storyteller talking about your actions. Many NPCs in your group will have reactions to this.
    13) At the end of Aran's quest about the magic lamp, there are several solution options, depending on the player's choice and on whether he has time to find a solution in time
    Regarding:
    12) After defeating Firkraag and solving Trademeet's problems, go to the taverns of Umar Hills and the tavern on the Promenade. There you will meet an old storyteller talking about your actions. Many NPCs in your group will have reactions to this.

I thought that I would mention that I encountered the storyteller in the Copper Coronet. He told both stories (one right after the other), even though my party had not accepted, let alone completed, Firkraag's quest yet.

That aside, I really appreciate these little additions to the game! I quite enjoyed Cernd advising the PC on how to properly milk a cow. And I especially love that the Trademeet statues now have the characters' names, as well as some of the reactions to the statues.
    edited August 2021
    He told both stories (one right after the other), even though my party had not accepted, let alone completed, Firkraag's quest yet.
    Yes, the storyteller really should have met in the Copper Coronet, and not in the tavern on the Promenade, I forgot about it in the previous message and wrote it wrong. But he definitely shouldn't have told two stories in a row, that's a bug!
    Thanks for this report, I will fix it as soon as possible! Previously, no one reported such an error, and in my testing it was not, so I did not know about it.
    Mod updated!
    New version - 3.5!
    • Fixed a bug due to which the storyteller could tell two stories in a row (thanks to Thrasymachus for the bug report!)
    • Minor text improvements

https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/tag/v.3.5
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2021
    How is the XP from the quests in this mod, relatively balanced? This is a problem with many quest mods in my experience... they give way too much XP for completing their content.
    Post edited by cdds on
    cdds wrote: »
    How is the XP from the quests in this mod, is relatively? This is a problem with many quest mods in my experience... they give way too much XP for completing their content.

Hello! I tried to make an adequate accrual of experience for completing quests (not too much). Two episodes in which I could not sufficiently take into account the balance are battles with the Collector group and in the basement of the bank (in the second component of the mod), but these battles are difficult enough for a beginner to simply not be able to cope with them.
    However, if someone discovers an insufficiently adjusted balance in any of the quests, I will always be grateful for advice on how to improve it!
    edited September 2021
    Mod updated!
    New version - 3.5.1!
    • Fixed a bug due to which the dialogue of the protagonist with himself when turning into the Slayer could get confused with the dialogue from Renal's quest (in component number 3). Thanks for the bug-report Ulpian!
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/tag/V.3.5.1
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited October 2021
    Greetings. In my installation (2.5 Android) upon leaving the Copper Coronet for the first time I got a message that the atmosphere was bad at the Shadow Thieves and some named orcs e.g. Jackal appeared. Upon visiting the Shadow Thieves the Beshaba quest started, with Renal assuming we were already acquainted. After the Beshaba priest & paladin encounter the thief stronghold quest became accessible. Many other mods are installed, so it's always possible something else was the cause.
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Greetings. In my installation (2.5 Android) upon leaving the Copper Coronet for the first time I got a message that the atmosphere was bad at the Shadow Thieves and some named orcs e.g. Jackal appeared. Upon visiting the Shadow Thieves the Beshaba quest started, with Renal assuming we were already acquainted. After the Beshaba priest & paladin encounter the thief stronghold quest became accessible. Many other mods are installed, so it's always possible something else was the cause.

Thank you very much for your message! Half-orc Jackal from the second component, and Beshaba quest from the third. It seems that when I added Beshaba quest in a recent update, I did not foresee that dialogs from different components could start sequentially at the same area. I will fix this as soon as possible!
    edited October 2021
    Mantis37 wrote: »

This bug has been fixed, the mod has been updated to version 3.5.2! Everything should be fine with that now.
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/tag/v.3.5.2
    Thanks again for finding this bug!

P.S. However, in your game, you need to load the save made before the start of this situation (best of all, the one that was made before the first visit to the location of the Slums, if possible).