Skip to content

Love the update, hate the new font.

2»

Comments

• Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    edited June 2021
    @ForSerious I play on mobile and I don’t remember if Reborn UI lengthened the chat/game log bar or not but it feels like it’s too wide horizontally. It goes over 50% of the screen. If it was at say 50% or 40% it’d be perfect
    30nluazc11rh.png
    xiaoleiwen
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I always forget mobile exist. From what I hear, it sounds like you get half the game. Usually on mobile versions, long press is what right click would be. How do you bring up the radial menu to disarm traps or pick locks? Should be the same thing.
    You don’t get half the game. Long press is right click. If you long press on chat bar you get options to filter what is shown. I guess I could play with a split bar. Half game engine logs/half group chat. But that’s for online play and I don’t play online. Boo boo ?
    The split bar is the best. Even for single player. I wish they'd add the option to have it always enabled in single player.
    xiaoleiwen
    Yeah, but for mobile that extra little nub on split that I don’t use takes up valuable real estate. That’s just me and how I’d like to tweak it.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited June 2021
    ForSerious wrote: »
    Ever tried right clicking on it?

Thanks, I didn’t know about this. However, is there anyway to make it splits by default? At the moment I have to spilt it every time I reload a game.
    Post edited by xiaoleiwen on
    marcnivar wrote: »
    Ever tried right clicking on it?
    However, is there anyway to make it spilts by default?.
    Not sure. I just started playing splits and it’s not bad on mobile actually.
    As far as I know, it only splits automatically for multiplayer mode. You can suggest it as a feature. It can't be hard for them to implement.
    edited June 2021
    b4txcvbmcdei.jpg
    wjfixs4sde90.jpg

Yes, it feels so much better even I have to manually split it. If I want to see dialogues history, I open the left. For combat, I open the middile. Fewer things cover the screen = more immersive for me.

If we can have an option for single player there (combine or split as default), it would be great.

Allanon81
    I agree or if nothing else we should be able to set it up the way we want and when you save it stays that way.
    xiaoleiwenForSerious
  • KrivoklatKrivoklat Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2021
    What do you not like in the font? Can you elaborate?

Specifically, you took a Sans Serif font and changed it out with a Serif font and claim it is easier to read.

File this under: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

A serif font is NOT easier to read, all those little extra strokes and such take up valuable space, particularly between letter spacing. This is two screenshots side by side of the old and the new.

tjzf3lf0nju1.png

The top is the original, the bottom is the new.

Both of these are set to the same UI scale, and both are high resolution ON.

generally speaking Sans Serif are plain style and Serif are 'fancy' letters.
    Seems to me like the design team looked at the original font and said, "Hmm.. how can we make this Fancier?"

Y'all changed the hard-coded the font with a new hard-coded font that can't be overridden. Hard code in a toggle switch to just go back to the original please. How heavy of a download would that possibly be?

Allanon81JuliusBorisov
  • KrivoklatKrivoklat Member Posts: 25
    here's an example of font getting cut off.
    You never want your text being clipped. This just looks sloppy.
    itzxs0w4337t.png
    edited June 2021
    Krivoklat wrote: »
    ..with a new hard-coded font that can't be overridden.
    False. I'm gunna go with false on this one. Read my third post in this thread.

Here I fond a Galahad version that's pretty close to the original, but it gets more squashed.
    doowvxlkb32l.jpg
    The other font I have is called Source Code Pro. I use it for work all the time, but I'm still not in love with it in NWN. There seems to be a ton of random added spaces. Not sure if that's the font or part of the change to make it use true type fonts. It also seems to be getting a tiny bit of squashing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited June 2021
    Krivoklat wrote: »
    A serif font is NOT easier to read, all those little extra strokes and such take up valuable space, particularly between letter spacing. This is two screenshots side by side of the old and the new.

tjzf3lf0nju1.png

The top is the original, the bottom is the new.

That is YMMV because I find that bottom font a very impressive improvement on readability, because the top's letter spacing is so condensed that I have to stress my eyes to actually see the separation between the i's body and it's dot. Any font where the Is and the ls look the same is also bad for readability IMO. It might have looked acceptable on a 800x600 on a 17" monitor back in 2001 or so, but I'd get actual eye strain from reading the top font for long.

Disclaimer: I wear glasses for 25 years now.
    JuliusBorisov
    I disagree. That top font always looked bad.
    8a63788abf43.jpg
    Here's the not high resolution version. I do remember a month or two where I felt like I was straining to read this, but that was from my new (now ten year old) laptop, where they packed the pixels tighter together. I got used to it, and now miss it.

You can't please everyone. Changing to a system where we can change the fonts as we please is the best way to do that. Big praises to Beamdog for doing that.
    I think the more important issue with the change is that the default fonts selected in the change, were not good choices.
    As @Krivoklat pointed out, they overlap in places. And we've mentioned a number of other things about them.
    My biggest beef right now, is that I can't seem to find a font that doesn't get squashed in some way once put into the game. Though I will probably take the time, eventually, to take the tga files with the original fonts, and make true type fonts out of them, I worry that they will also get disfigured once put back in the game.
    JuliusBorisovxiaoleiwen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Stay tuned for the next development patch, coming VERY soon!
    ForSeriousDrewbert_ahoy
    I disagree. That top font always looked bad.
    8a63788abf43.jpg
    Here's the not high resolution version. I do remember a month or two where I felt like I was straining to read this, but that was from my new (now ten year old) laptop, where they packed the pixels tighter together. I got used to it, and now miss it.

You can't please everyone. Changing to a system where we can change the fonts as we please is the best way to do that. Big praises to Beamdog for doing that.
    I think the more important issue with the change is that the default fonts selected in the change, were not good choices.
    As @Krivoklat pointed out, they overlap in places. And we've mentioned a number of other things about them.
    My biggest beef right now, is that I can't seem to find a font that doesn't get squashed in some way once put into the game. Though I will probably take the time, eventually, to take the tga files with the original fonts, and make true type fonts out of them, I worry that they will also get disfigured once put back in the game.

Fully agree, different eyes are different and may need different font. Really happy we can customise it now.
    edited June 2021
    Screenshots por favor? I am watching this with much envy.
    edited June 2021
    Just the chat window:
    eu19n0sek23m.jpg
    The main font, like in the menu, is back to Galahad. All in all, I'm really liking these font changes.
    Allanon81JuliusBorisovƝ????Ʀ????
    Yes yes yes yes very nice! ?
    JuliusBorisov
  • Ɲ????Ʀ????Ɲ????Ʀ???? Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Beamdog for fixing and changing the fonts back. Now if we can just get a drop down box in options to choose from the fonts, custom ones included, would be heaven.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArdmorArdmor Member Posts: 11
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    @ForSerious I play on mobile and I don’t remember if Reborn UI lengthened the chat/game log bar or not but it feels like it’s too wide horizontally. It goes over 50% of the screen. If it was at say 50% or 40% it’d be perfect
    30nluazc11rh.png

Hello. I saw that you also play the mobile version, I wanted to ask you about the fonts. I installed new fonts, but in some sections the font does not fit in the fields, can you tell me how to fix this in the mobile version?oyt31ctb8dwn.jpg
    @Ardmor It looks like you’re using Russian Cyrillic. I don’t know if that’s the thing and your font looks fat/bold. Try something slimmer and you can if I remember scale the font down I believe in config.
    @Ardmor It looks like you’re using Russian Cyrillic. I don’t know if that’s the thing and your font looks fat/bold. Try something slimmer and you can if I remember scale the font down I believe in config.

Thanks, I'll try another font. Do you know if you can somehow edit fonts without a computer?
    @Ardmor You can edit NWNEE config file without a computer. Actual font files is outside my knowledge. Probably a lot of work. There’s plenty of great free fonts out there.
    @Ardmor You can edit NWNEE config file without a computer. Actual font files is outside my knowledge. Probably a lot of work. There’s plenty of great free fonts out there.

Is the configuration file settings.tml? With fonts I understood everything. Tell me, is it possible to somehow increase the dialog in length and width?
    @Ardmor I haven’t played NWN in a little while, but if I remember yes settings.tml is config file. This UI may help with dialogue box sizing, I think it’s the best UI: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/other/gui/reborn-ui
    Reborn UI also has optional NWN2 font you can use for NWNEE.
    @Ardmor I haven’t played NWN in a little while, but if I remember yes settings.tml is config file. This UI may help with dialogue box sizing, I think it’s the best UI: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/other/gui/reborn-ui
    Reborn UI also has optional NWN2 font you can use for NWNEE.

Yes, good interface, I play with it. Fonts from nwn 2 do not work with Cyrillic, so I select the font for the game itself