Skip to content

Fighter/Mage - best weapon profs & styles?

124»

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Am now starting to think Two Hander style will be simpler to manage for my F/M and helps with both two-handed swords and staves - seem to be good options for both in both BG1 and BG2 - and would leave enough proficiency points for bows e.g.

For BG1 could do something like:
    Lvl 1
    Two-handed Swords **
    Long Bow ** (am assuming one of my thieves would make better use of the best short bows)

Lvl 3
    Two-handed Swords **
    Long Bow **
    Two Handed Style * (or possibly do two-handed style first, then bows, but bows probably more helpful lvld 1-3)

Lvl 6
    Two-handed Swords **
    Long Bow **
    Two Handed Style **

Lvl 9
    Two-handed Swords **
    Long Bow **
    Two Handed Style **
    Staves *

Lvl 12
    Two-handed Swords **
    Long Bow **
    Two Handed Style **
    Staves **

Or is that just stupid?

BTW I've also realised that if I'm getting crits on 19-20 (for either two-handed style or single weapon style), this crit chance is effectively doubled again when hasted :-)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    If you are going to wield a two handed weapon, I think both points in two handed weapon style are well worth it. I have always found the single weapon style to be a wasted proficiency point because I would prefer to use a shield for 90%+ of the game rather than a single weapon. I would probably rather be proficient in a bow than have the single weapon style if you want something that is more tangible as a benefit for BG1 (in which case I would get proficient in the ranged weapon of choice from the start).
    With two-handed weapon style, I've done some research on the web and it seems you actually get the critical bonus on the first pip, all the second pip does is give you another -2 speed, which I guess probably isn't worth it, but makes a two-handed build look all the more viable... Perhaps not with the same power as dual-wielding in BG2, but stronger in BG1 and better in BG2 than single-weapon style would be (though it's great on back-stabing char), as AC becomes less relevant the further into BG2 you get.

So - am debating between two-handed vs two-weapon style now...
    AHF said:

If you are going to wield a two handed weapon, I think both points in two handed weapon style are well worth it.

But all the second point in two handed style actually seems to give you is -2 speed, is that really worth it?
    AHF said:

I have always found the single weapon style to be a wasted proficiency point because I would prefer to use a shield for 90%+ of the game rather than a single weapon. I would probably rather be proficient in a bow than have the single weapon style if you want something that is more tangible as a benefit for BG1 (in which case I would get proficient in the ranged weapon of choice from the start).

Another advantage from a usability point of view of two-handed sword and bow is that is easier to swap weapons than if using a shield/two-weapons... Doesn't affect the attack or defence stranghth of CHARNAME, though, of course
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

AHF said:

If you are going to wield a two handed weapon, I think both points in two handed weapon style are well worth it.

But all the second point in two handed style actually seems to give you is -2 speed, is that really worth it?

I think it is given the slow speed of two handers. Getting that first hit in can be a difference maker at times - especially if you are racing a spell caster.

Another advantage from a usability point of view of two-handed sword and bow is that is easier to swap weapons than if using a shield/two-weapons... Doesn't affect the attack or defence stranghth of CHARNAME, though, of course
    Definitely true for the current games. BG:EE is supposed to have weapon sets that may make this a moot point, though, as it would allow for easy switching.
    AHF said:

AHF said:

I think it is given the slow speed of two handers. Getting that first hit in can be a difference maker at times - especially if you are racing a spell caster.
    Okay, good point
    AHF said:

Definitely true for the current games. BG:EE is supposed to have weapon sets that may make this a moot point, though, as it would allow for easy switching.
    Yes I'd heard that, though it remains to be seen if/how this is actually implemented.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Quarterstaffs and two handed weapon fighting will serve you a lot better in both games.

You could do:

2 quarterstaff
    2 longbow or crossbow
    2 two handed weapon style
    2 Two handed sword.

Alternatively dualing from a kensai at 161,000 - 135,000 XP will serve you a lot better in BG1. You get -2 AC, Kai, and grandmastery in a single weapon type, and quarterstaffs are better than anything else for a caster if you don't want to kill drizzt. In BG1 you get a quarterstaff +3 and staff of striking. In BG2 you have quarterstaff +4, staff of the magi, staff of the ram, a +1 / +2 AC staff, and lots of others too.

You can save the Scimitars for Jaheira.
    Have just started a BGT-WEIDU game as a Lawful Evil Elf Fighter/Mage with 2 pips each in two-handed swords and long bows to get some practice in as a this build! :-)

Have teamed up with Imoen, Xzar, Monteron and Kagain, but I will probably send Xzar in a suicide mission (hey, I'm evil) and pick up Edwin instead... I also want Viconia asap, but may have to go with Branwen first, as think I have to cross that Bassilisk garden to get to the are Viconia is in, and don't think I'm ready for that yet... Not sure whether to keep Imoen or swap her for Safana, and may swap Monty for Sharteel and dual her to a thief...
    Acually I just figured out you can pick Viconia up by going east on the Friendly Arm Inn map, hurrah! My reputation is only 8 now, though, better pretend to do some good soon otherwise things could get sticky... Also picked up the Flaming Fist guys plate mail, nice :-)

My first proper evil party, though I'm loathe to drop Imoen, she's just too good