Skip to content

BGEE and SoD - Reform party causes death

popcorn311popcorn311 Member Posts: 17
edited September 2021 in Troubleshooting
When I remove a party member, I die a second later. The removed NPC doesn't talk to me, I just die.

This started in BGEE chapter 7, I found a save where this bug started, and before this save the bug didn't happen. The bug carried over into SoD and is still happening, I'm sort of being forced to play solo.

Attached is a save file affected by the bug. I would really appreciate any help!
Post edited by Zaghoul on

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    (Thread moved to main forum Troubleshooting Support)
  • popcorn311popcorn311 Member Posts: 17
    There's more - just discovered that when I use Stone to Flesh on a statue, CHARNAME dies and gameover. So two triggers for this bug - stone to flesh and reform party. Sad. Gamebreaking.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Are you using any mods?
    I had the G3 Tweakpack installed during BGEE, then the bug started in Ch7. Then I moved over to a new PC when I installed SoD and currently no mods, the bug persists with the continued save file. When I start a new game in SoD, bug does not occur.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    I presume you started this save back in version 2.5, overlooked that 2.6 deleted the mod from the game and went on like nothing happened, which corrupted your save.

Just abandon it.
    edited September 2021
    I presume you started this save back in version 2.5, overlooked that 2.6 deleted the mod from the game and went on like nothing happened, which corrupted your save.

Just abandon it.

Really would not like to abandon - lots of hours of gameplay wasted. And no guarantee the bug won't reoccur. Is there a way I can debug this, e.g. find out what is triggering the deaths and set a variable to stop the bug?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Sure, go over your savegame with NearInfinity - https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/31241-beginners-guide-to-savegame-editing-with-near-infinity/ -, compare the variables introduced by the components you have installed from TA in the WeiDU code and hope you figure it out.

Although because this isn't really as simple as it's written, I unfortunately think you won't be able to.

I'd like to bring up that the Tweaks Anthology readme also reminds you that patches reset the mod states and (this is my personal opinion) one should really duplicate the game folder out from Steam/GoG Galaxy prior to installing mods to it.
    Yeah I got nearinfinity running but it looks complex and can't figure it all out.

My current install is unmodded but the save file was continued from a modded bgee
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @popcorn311
    Loading your save, I get insta-killed the moment I turn on Party AI.

The "ENDGAME" global variable has expired (its a timer), which is what triggers the kill. This timer gets set during the Ducal Palace incident if you attack one of the dukes. You should have never made it past this event.

This is also why reforming triggers it, as soon as one of them is outside the party, their AI starts running automatically, triggering the kill.

Not sure where Stone to Flesh comes in though.
    kjeron wrote: »
    @popcorn311
    Loading your save, I get insta-killed the moment I turn on Party AI.

The "ENDGAME" global variable has expired (its a timer), which is what triggers the kill. This timer gets set during the Ducal Palace incident if you attack one of the dukes. You should have never made it past this event.

This is also why reforming triggers it, as soon as one of them is outside the party, their AI starts running automatically, triggering the kill.

Not sure where Stone to Flesh comes in though.

Hey thanks for loading it up and looking into it.

Any suggestion on how I can set the ENDGAME variable back correctly?

What happened was in the final Sarevok battle, Sarevok wouldn't spawn, which is a well known bug, so I had to enable console to spawn him. Did this action cause that?

I don't remember attacking one of the dukes, or if I did it would've been unsaved and reloaded. I did pickpocket everyone successfully though.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    There's a global variable "SarevokBehavior".
    It starts at zero.
    If anyone on your team attacks the dukes, it's set to 3. This block also sets the ENDGAME timer, to no more than three rounds in the future.
    At the end of the palace fight, when Belt and Liia see no enemies, it's set to 1.
    In the final battle arena, if SarevokBehavior is 1, he spawns in and the variable becomes 2.

So ... Sarevok didn't spawn because SarevokBehavior was set to 3. It's a symptom, not a cause. Things broke back at the palace battle, when you did something hostile to the dukes but somehow avoided the standard punishment of near-immediate death.
    The proper fix is to go back to before that encounter and win it cleanly.

Or ... well, if your mod setup changed midstream, you might have to abandon the run
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    C:SetGlobal("ENDGAME","GLOBAL",-1)

will stop you from dying.
    Hey thanks all, I loaded up EEkeeper and deleted the variable, now the bugs don't occur. I looked at earlier saves and the variable didn't appear at all so I decided to delete it in the bugged save. Lets hope it's bugfree now, I wonder what other bugs await. The Menhir quest didn't work properly - Crommus's treasure didn't appear after completion
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    The handling of the variable "SarevokBehavior" was altered in 2.6, this also lead to the hilarious bug in 2.6 for EndlessBG1 and Transitions Mod that the Dukes wer hostile when the party returned from killing Sarevok. A Savegame from a moddd 2.5 used in a 2.6 is likely to experience a hickup there.