Skip to content

[MOD] Balduran's Seatower - Early Access Open Beta!

Comments

• cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    jastey wrote: »
    Balduran's Seatower updates to vEAOB.7
    Awesome, thanks a lot! Can't wait to see what this mod will evolve into in the future
    jastey
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Permidion_Stark thanks for the kind words! Credits for the really cool stuff go to Yovaneth (most areas), Cuv (the seecave), @Acifer (areas behind the seacave including the taylor shop), and also Acifer in case you already found the areas plus high level encounter beneath the taylor shop.
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehrAciferTimbo0o0o0
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I've just visited the tailor's for the second time.
    The first time I went via the front door, this time I came via the caves

It is a beautifully designed encounter. And the great thing about it is it feels like it always should have been there.
    jasteyStummvonBordwehrAcifer
    @Permidion_Stark just to make sure: coming from the front door into the taylor shop there was no way down, was there? It should only be accessible via the Seacave.
    StummvonBordwehrAcifer
    @Permidion_Stark just to make sure: coming from the front door into the taylor shop there was no way down, was there? It should only be accessible via the Seacave.

Yes. When I went in by the front door it seemed like a regular tailor and there was no way down.
    jastey
    Great! It's always good to know something actually worked as intended.
    StummvonBordwehrPermidion_Stark
    edited September 2021
    There was one very minor thing about the encounter in the tailor's shop that I wasn't sure was working as intended:
    When I discovered the Mimic I moved all of the party out of the room and into the main part of the shop, while my Cavalier attacked it on her own. However, when the mimic did its glue attack it still affected characters who were out of its line of sight, making it seem like it could shoot round corners.

Also, I forgot to take a screenshot of this so it may not be very helpful, but at one point someone in the Seatower uses the word 'stenuous' when I assume they meant strenuous (though from memory the word didn't quite make sense in the context in which it was used).
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    edited September 2021
    Oh, what a tricky little fellow! :D I'll note it on the ToDo list, thanks!

Do you men this line?
    @2456 /* ~It smells of old fish and sea weet in here. As if the usual stink on the tower grounds wouldn't be stenuous enough already.~ */

I think I , er, invented a word there. I'll change it to @2456 /* ~It smells of old fish and sea weet in here. As if the usual stink on the tower grounds wouldn't be stinging enough already.~ */
    EDIT: both instances, actually. Great, now I'm using invented words - at least I do it consequently!1
    Permidion_StarkGraionDilachStummvonBordwehr
    edited September 2021
    Yes, that's the line. Should it be seaweed rather than sea weet? And maybe reeking instead of stinging?
    jastey
  • HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2021
    Or "bad enough"? "Pungent"?
    Post edited by Henanigan on
    jastey
    Should it be seaweed rather than sea weet?
    @Permidion_Stark omg yes, that's what it should be, lol. Corrected locally.
    Henanigan wrote: »
    Or "bad enough"? "Pungent"?
    @Henanigan I like "bad enough". That's simple enough. Changed locally.

Thank you both! Keep 'em coming... (The mod needs more proofreading, obviously.)
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehrAcifer
    @Permidion_Stark the
    mimic
    hitting party members although they already left the room is from original game scripts/spells. It's possible they were targeted already when leaving, then the attack obviously hits them anyway. We'll have a look at it when we start working on BST again, but we will not change / correct the original game oversights.
    StummvonBordwehrPermidion_Stark
    Thanks @jastey - that makes sense.

I have just finished the slave traders quest. I really enjoyed it. Especially, the first fight:
    The fight with Leonhard and the Bouncers was very good. I liked the way they went after my mage (Dynaheir) and even used the Detect Illusion ability to bring down her Mirror Images. I had trouble keeping her alive because she got stuck in a corner and was surrounded by thugs. Fortunately, she had a Potion of Invisibility which bought me enough time to save her.

However, I think the second fight may not have triggered quite as intended.
    I had sent Imoen ahead, hiding in the shadows, to discover where the slavers were. Once she had found them I buffed up my party and summoned a couple of Nymphs and a Dread Wolf and approached the group, expecting them to turn hostile as soon as they saw me. However, they didn't react. This meant I was able to walk right through the group and stand my Cavalier and a dread wolf next to the mage before anyone noticed my presence.

I had come at the group by going down the river bank and then approaching them from due east. When someone did finally notice me it was the guy who was standing in the most northerly position so I guess they were expecting me to attack from that direction (the Flaming Fist Scout did tell me to attack from the north but I didn't take this literally.

Even so, i thought it was a great quest and the whole thing was put together really well.
    StummvonBordwehrjastey
    I went back a re-ran the encounter to take some screenshots to show what happened:
    ftjup0xh5g71.png
    cs7fnjygnit3.png
    4lwpgpq86vd6.png
    dhw06jxz2i6d.png
    The slavers didn't react until I spoke to the mage. He said something like "Er, boss . .?" and then Manuff said the line in the last screenshot and they all turned hostile.
    jastey
    edited September 2021
    @Permidion_Stark good catch, the encounter is designed for the group to approach from the north indeed (in BGT the area can't be left/accessed from the east gnah, I meant west. West! Which is of no importance to what you did). Will be improved. Thanks!
    And thanks for the kind words. The thugs are more or less higher level ones I found in the game, I think, Still good to know the fight was to your liking.
    Permidion_StarkAcifer
  • HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
    Thank you both!
    Glad to help (even though my contribution was miniscule). I must admit that I was intrigued by the word, stenuous. My guess was that stechende had something to do with it... but on second thoughts, that guess was probably off. (No need to answer :) )
    jasteyStummvonBordwehr
    @Henanigan that was exactly the word I was trying to translate! good guess! :)
    StummvonBordwehr
    I think I have completed all the major quests now (I still have to go back and sort out the fire elemental and the feathers). There was one area that looked really intriguing and I was wondering if you have got plans for it in the future?
    I was convinced something really bad was going to happen when I walked into here. I feel certain there is something nasty lurking behind those chains.
    1o1zwyylcm1t.png

StummvonBordwehrAcifer
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited September 2021
    @Permidion_Stark
    Maybe use that area for Illithids or some sort of Baldur's Gate III reference. Or a warper to another of Jastey's mods. Looks intruiging regardless!
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 151

@Permidion_Stark:
    Other than the trapped monster that you need to defeat, there are currently no plans for further content.
    I'm glad you like that area!

Permidion_Stark
    Acifer wrote: »
    @Permidion_Stark:
    Other than the trapped monster that you need to defeat, there are currently no plans for further content.
    I'm glad you like that area!

@Acifer I definitely missed something on my run then.
    I explored the whole area - or at least I thought I did - but nothing happened there at all. I got a message about the runes on the pentagram saying that I needed to get close to read them but when I did move close nothing happened (I think it just said I couldn't decipher the runes). I then went up the stone staircase and took the robe off the dead mage. After that I left the area because there didn't seem to be an encounter.

Sounds like I should go back and take another look!
    Acifer
    @Permidion_Stark:
    You need a higher lore skill to be able to read the runes.
    As your screenshot shows, there are some interesting coins lying on the ground. It might be rewarding to pick them up. ;)

(Before version 6 there was a bug that made the coins disappear, which should be fixed by now.)
    Permidion_Stark
    @Permidion_Stark:
    You need a higher lore skill to be able to read the runes.
    As your screenshot shows, there are some interesting coins lying on the ground. It might be rewarding to pick them up. ;)

(Before version 6 there was a bug that made the coins disappear, which should be fixed by now.)

I just went back and took another look. And boy was it exciting!
    I don't know how I missed those coins the first time. I think it was because I was so creeped out by the place and I was sure that something bad was going to happen. And as it turned out I wasn't wrong!

I really enjoyed the fight. However, I think there might be a bug because I don't seem to have got any experience for it.
    kaj9zzfk04zu.png
    2hbd082agxxk.png
    AciferStummvonBordwehrjastey
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
    The missing XP wasn't intended. That's odd. :/
    It should reward you with 12.000 XP.
    I'll take a look at it.

Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
    The missing XP wasn't intended. That's odd. :/
    It should reward you with 12.000 XP.
    I'll take a look at it.

Could it be that I didn't get the XP because he was killed by Khalid who was charmed at the time? Khalid must have succumbed to charm while the fatal arrow was in flight.
    AciferStummvonBordwehr
    That could be the case.
    However,
    The demon counts as "summoned" and I think that could be the problem as the engine thinks it is a summoned monster you shouldn't get an XP reward for.
    Oddly enough, I got a reward each time I tested this encounter.

Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
    @Acifer I will go back and replay it later and see if it happens again.
    AciferStummvonBordwehrjastey
    @Permidion_Stark
    Did you talk to the tanner several times? Did you find the tanner at all? :D
    Did you encounter any doppelgangers yet?
    It's always difficult to guess what players actually saw. When you mentioned the encounter beneath the taylor shop the first time I thought you already got to the high level encounter, for example.
    edited September 2021
    @Permidion_Stark
    Did you talk to the tanner several times? Did you find the tanner at all? :D
    Did you encounter any doppelgangers yet?
    It's always difficult to guess what players actually saw. When you mentioned the encounter beneath the taylor shop the first time I thought you already got to the high level encounter, for example.

I have definitely missed a few beats here!
    I only spoke to the tanner once and I have realised that I have got some things in my inventory that might be of interest to him so I will go back there. I have fought lots of dopplegangers and cleared them away from the battlements using the mimic potion from the mage called Shizell

jastey