Skip to content

Beamdog Forum Migration

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited December 2021 in News
Greetings Friends,

Based on technical and financial considerations, Beamdog will be moving our forums to a self-hosted site in November. All forum posts and documents will transfer to the new site, but a few features will no longer be available, including:
  • User Badges
  • User Post Counts
  • Current Profile Avatars
  • Activity Page
  • Forum Leaderboard
  • Forum Visual Theme
  • 3rd Party Authentication (Facebook, Google, etc.)

Outage Notice!
Starting on November 8, 2021, the Beamdog forums will be unavailable for a few weeks while we migrate to a new hosting site.
  • Save your faves: As a precaution, please make sure to save any posts, images, documents, or mods that are near and dear to your heart.
  • Do you know your password?: Please make sure you know your login and password ahead of our outage.
  • Remove 3rd Party Authentication: Once we move to the new site, you will not be able to login with 3rd party authentication (such as Facebook, Google, etc). If you typically used a 3rd party SSO to login to the forums, you may be required to perform a password reset following the outage. You can remove connected 3rd party authentication by editing your profile on the forum (click here for instructions).

Thank you for your continued support and passion for these games!

Sincerely,

—Beamdog Team

Post edited by lroumen on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Reactions should still work, yes, but for a 100% clarity, we need to wait for the migration to happen.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2021
    Please, could you clarify the following point?
    Greetings Friends,

Outage Notice!
    Starting on November 8, 2021, the Beamdog forums will be unavailable for a few weeks while we migrate to a new hosting site.
    • Save your faves: As a precaution, please make sure to save any posts, images, documents, or mods that are near and dear to your heart.

Does it mean that all attached files or links will be lost? :'(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    All forum posts and documents will transfer to the new site. Attachments should transfer.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    As it says, it is a precaution. So I guess it should not happen, but you never know for sure.

Now that I think about I will also miss 3rd party authentication, I always use google to log in.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Just for the clarification: does the bookmarked threads also transfer automatically - or do we need to do something about them as well?

As of today I have 173 bookmarked threads, so I am really hoping for the best….
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Just for the clarification: does the bookmarked threads also transfer automatically - or do we need to do something about them as well?

As of today I have 173 bookmarked threads, so I am really hoping for the best….

And also the Participated and My Discussion threads, will they also transfer for each user?
    It's not 100% clear about bookmarked threads, participated and my discussion threads, so we need to wait for the migration to happen.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2021
    User Badges will be unavailable after the migration. Will we keep the badges we have already earned?
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    At this point, it looks likely that you won't, but we'll put it on our list of things to check when the migration happens.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    I am so sad about badges :( What's the point of preordering if I can't show the size of my ePeen on the forums ? :disappointed::p
    edited November 2021
    At this point, it looks likely that you won't, but we'll put it on our list of things to check when the migration happens.

In that case, I will prepare myself to say "Goodbye." to my Squire of Neverwinter badge. It would be just one more thing NWN-related to get taken from me. I guess I should be grateful that I got a "Heads up!" this time around. Thank you, sir. It is much appreciated. May you all have a blessed and safe Halloweekend.

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    When you mention "save your posts", is there a specific mechanism on the current forums that allow you do to do this?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Selerel wrote: »
    When you mention "save your posts", is there a specific mechanism on the current forums that allow you do to do this?

Unfortunately not. You will have to download them for offline view. If you only want to save your playthroughs for example, a possibility that saves storage space is to save the whole pages as images (for example the built-in feature in Microsoft Edge, capture whole site as image or something). Just make sure you open all spoiler tags in posts before you do that. If you then convert them to PDF and merge them into one (with free online tools), you get a neat looking document of your whole thread.

There are many possibilities, I just found this one to work best for me to preserve threads with information that I want to store, but avoid the number of folders if I save them as full website.
  • @JuliusBorisov

I'm not really keen on having to join yet another site I don't really use - I'm done with forums. Is it possible to delete my forum account but still keep my Beamdog account? I have a copy of the game purchased through Beamdog and don't want to lose access to it (its a backup in case Steam ever goes kaput).
    @Pstemarie

Both your Beamdog account and your forum account should be independent and separate from each other. I believe you will retain your game purchases on Beamdog.com even if you delete your account here. The only way they would be lost is if you were to delete your account at https://www.beamdog.com. The website will even prompt you with a warning letting you know what will happen if you delete your account there. Hope this answers your question.

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Just to be clear, this whole exercise mostly impacts the backend, correct? There will still be a forums.beamdog.com after the migration and we will only see a new UI and some features being deprecated?

Pstemarie wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov

I'm not really keen on having to join yet another site I don't really use - I'm done with forums. Is it possible to delete my forum account but still keep my Beamdog account? I have a copy of the game purchased through Beamdog and don't want to lose access to it (its a backup in case Steam ever goes kaput).

This will be the same site with no need to create another username (although the exact URL is still TBD). It would be a shame to lose an author of the CEP mod, but if you've decided regarding the account firmly, please send me a PM. Also, the Beamdog.com account is separate from the forum account.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I do like the theme, but I'm not going to miss how hard it is to find the site search.
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    Save your faves: As a precaution, please make sure to save any posts, images, documents, or mods that are near and dear to your heart.

Do you mean keeping the URL because built-in bookmarks here are lost, or you mean that the URLs won't be redirected, so it's better to save the whole post via some archiving mechanism?
    We meant a precaution measure in case something goes wrong. Ideally, all URLs will be the same and all the content will be available after the migration.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited November 2021
    I liked the badges too, I’ll miss them :( if we can retain the ones we already have that’d be nice. Looking forward to keeping the reactions tally though.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Alas poor badges, I knew thee well. Alas also farewell to reactions too. Whether tis BD homebrew or open source I wonder if the new forum software will be able to compare well with these old forums. So farewell old forums, farewell.

For any NwN EE forumites just a friendly reminder that while waiting for the phoenix (the new version of the forums here) to arise from the ashes of the old, that you can always participate on the vault forums. If you haven't done so, you just need an account in order to post comments and make forum comments on the vault. Otherwise you can lurk, download stuff, etc. without having to register.

So au revoir to BD forums 'til we meet again.

TR
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    While the forum is down some members of our community have created a new forum to keep contact and discussions alive. Feel free to take a seat at the Tavern. https://tavernrpg.com/
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30

Hello. Any change of plan WRT the migration? I see a new forum, but it's still Vanilla, according to the footer. 😀

The Beamdog forums are back now.

Please provide feedback in this thread.

Known issues:

• Save Drafts doesn't work for now
    • Forum search may be less advanced
    • Old polls don't display, but we have a new Polls plugin working (so new polls work)
    • Minion dice roll