Skip to content

Beamdog Forum Migration

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581

On Profile, hovering the mouse to the avatar offers the "Change icon" option which then throws a permission error (wanted to check if this reads Gravatar for now, I don't mind if so, but this might throw off someone).

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2021
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2021

While I'm glad to see the forum back online, it's a sad fate that most of these issues came with it:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1090584#Comment_1090584 There was an error displaying this embed.

• doesn't properly support the TAB character
    • cannot nest Code/Quote/Spoiler formatting, including quoted posts.
    • quoted posts can not be edited, it's all or nothing, with most of it hidden behind a non-optional expansion button (spoiler tags do this just fine, as desired)
    • pasting text into a spoiler often gets added or split up somewhere other than the current cursor location.
    • WYSIWYG
    • Unsure if new issue or fluke, but when you made the previous post @JuliusBorisov , everything I was currently writing for this post was deleted and had to start over from scratch. Actually had to refresh the page for the text box to reapear.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @kjeron Can you look now? Is it better?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @JuliusBorisov Oh thank you, yes.
  • oldguyoldguy Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 22
    I am very pleased to see the forum up and running again, a happy festive season and good new year to all
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    I noticed I don't have permission to edit my thread (here). Getting a generic "Permission Problem You don't have permission to do that."
    Bubb wrote: »
    I noticed I don't have permission to edit my thread (here). Getting a generic "Permission Problem You don't have permission to do that."

Try now.
    Try now.
    Still erroring out. Also seems I can't upload a picture to this post, "The file failed to upload."
    Try now again, please.
    Editing is working now, thank you!
    I suspect attachment permissions will have to be set up for every forum section separately. For now, they should be enabled in this section. I'll get to it in a bit.
  • Quill_ArmguardQuill_Armguard Member Posts: 53
    I never truly noticed how much my periodic playthroughs depend on these forums until they were gone for a short while. Glad it's back and thanks for the work
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    big news! thanks @JuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    @JuliusBorisov
    It appears I can edit all posts. I found out by mistakenly clicking the cog of this thread, and I may have added a next line at the end in the first post (I see, it states I was the last to edit).

Perhaps you gave me too many rights. If true, please change my permissions, and please check if I changed something erroneously in the first post... I do not want to mess things up :).

You do not want me with these powers. :naughty:

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited December 2021
    @JuliusBorisov
    What about adding support for inline code?

Neither this
    [inline]text[/inline]

nor this
    [tt]text[/tt]

nor this
    [pre]text[/pre]

are working as expected...
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Well, seems we are back after some weeks - nice! My first impression is that the new forums look nice, but I am a bit unhappy about seeing a lot less topics on the screen than before (everything is bigger). Are there settings to change that?
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    The categories should be better split in their own sections like in the previous forum, right now only the Modding Section is properly separated from the others.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Is there any chance you will introduce reactions to posts, such as Like, Agree, Insighful? They were a nice way to interact and show appreciation to posts.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    Aedan wrote: »
    Is there any chance you will introduce reactions to posts, such as Like, Agree, Insighful? They were a nice way to interact and show appreciation to posts.

And I loved the amount of useless posts it avoided. Like this one. I would have just hit the agree button.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101

My guess is that it would have happened already if it were as simple as ticking a box... besides, according to their Twitter, Beamdog is on holidays until January 4th, I don't think we can expect any more adjustments until then. I'm glad at least they got the forum back online before closing for this year.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I tried editing one of my older posts with a
    code block

in it and I got a different preview from the actual results. Since it's the opening post to the thread it seems to follow different rules from the rest of the thread - I'm told I am allowed to use "simple HTML" in the post instead of "BBCode".

This has the side effect that previewing the post uses a different style of codeblock formatting than the actual post does.
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    I forgot to mention one thing: the signature, we need to have one so we dont need to keep mentioning our specs everytime we have a problem with the games.
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    ForSerious wrote: »

And I loved the amount of useless posts it avoided. Like this one. I would have just hit the agree button.

Yes, exactly. These really need to be brought back.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'm not sure if I'm just blind or if it's too subtle for its own good or if there just aren't any, but under "Recent Discussions" I cannot tell recent discussions that I've read apart from recent discussions that I haven't read.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    The Beamdog forums are back now.
    Please provide feedback in this thread.
    Known issues:
    Save Drafts doesn't work for now
    Forum search may be less advanced
    Old polls don't display, but we have a new Polls plugin working (so new polls work)
    Minion dice roll

It looks pretty slick! Glad to see our Likes, etc. are still recorded even if badges aren't. Missed you guys!
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Pokota wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm just blind or if it's too subtle for its own good or if there just aren't any, but under "Recent Discussions" I cannot tell recent discussions that I've read apart from recent discussions that I haven't read.

9zdqyyaffb41.png

Top violet: amount of new posts since last visit of thread.
    Bottom blue: completely unread thread.
  • HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
    I guess the Like/Agree/Insightful buttons are gone.
    Just a quick heads-up: Beamdog is on the holidays until January 4. Please keep sharing your feedback about the forum, we'll look into small things we can do when we return in 2022. However, overall, the functionality of the forum has decreased, but that is what we had expected (as seen in the OP).

Have a good time during these holidays, all!
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2021
    Just noticed a minor thing. Moderators glow blue now, too, instead of having a grey background.
    No, we didn't get employed all of a sudden ;).

Happy holidays to everyone!