Skip to content

[MOD] More Style for Mages (v1.56)

Comments

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Endarire wrote: »
    The intent for the Wizard Hat revision was to allow other characters to use it, but just not display the model. Use Any Item already allows this.

Ah, I thought you were going to expand the graphics. However, I don't see a point in this, the item is built around the fact that it is a pointy hat and the item description reflects that.

As I said, do whatever you need for other mods compatibility, but do not change the original content. That means the clean install of this mod should remain unchanged.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited July 2022
    Greetings, @Pecca!

Another (Maiara#9398 on Discord) and I have been working to update More Style for Mages to EET compatibility. We have a variety of things to ask because we found in the latest official release bugs and things that should be changed to enhance the MSFM experience. We want to discuss matters with you - preferably on Discord - before merging anything with your master branch.

Thankee!
    @Endarire Hi, sure, send me a link.
    Check your BeamDog personal messages.
    @Pecca
    Again check your BeamDog personal messages.

Thankee!
    edited September 2022
    @Pecca
    Since LarryErb, the primary coder for converting MSFM to EET compatibility, has seemingly gone silent, I present to you the MSFM 1.6 prerelease which adds EET compatibility for most purposes. Familiars for NPC Mages is only partially implemented with the only NPC getting a familiar being Edwin. Also note that the +1 Wizard's Staff component doesn't work on EET for technical reasons, but the +3/+5 version does.

This Google Doc explains much of what we intended to do and what other unfixed bugs remain. This Google Docs directory also includes info on what tests were done.

I post these here so that others can enjoy this mod and update it as prudent.

Enjoy and thankee!
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    @Pecca
    Also note that the +1 Wizard's Staff component doesn't work on EET for technical reasons, but the +3/+5 version does.
    Could'nt the BG1 version just appear in High Hedge and the more powerful versions just show up in BG2 / Watcher's Keep? I'm no modder, but I can't think of any real technical reasons the +1 versions wouldn't work with.
    @evildevil97
    My understanding is that the in-game code uses the +1 staff 'because it's BG1' whereas EET is based off the BG2 engine.
  • ZeitguerstZeitguerst Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2023
    how do i activate the wizard's staff in BG 1 EE?
    Zeitguerst wrote: »
    how do i activate the wizard's staff in BG 1 EE?

Staffs in BG1 don't get activated.
    Apparently, there were some merge conflicts and I did some code editing to combine the version I posted earlier with parts of another version. I'm unsure why things didn't work properly before, but they seemingly did now.

Use this version. It's my second take on the 1.6 prerelease. I only tested the mod with EET and Kit Tomes (for personal checking). Even with just EET & MSFM, things worked.

Thankee!
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    I would like to install some of these mods, particularly the one that allows other characters to summon familiars; but since I already have several mods, I fear it might break something. Is it safe or does it need to be installed before other mods?
    @_Connacht_
    MSFM's familiar components only work on BG2EE, not EET. (Except Edwin. Somewhat.) Only one mod at a time will work to change familiars, meaning no Tome & Blood familiars for example.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    @_Connacht_
    MSFM's familiar components only work on BG2EE, not EET. (Except Edwin. Somewhat.) Only one mod at a time will work to change familiars, meaning no Tome & Blood familiars for example.

Yes, I have BG2EE.

So I only have to worry about other mods if they modify familiars, everything else is fine regardless of the installation order. Thanks.
    MSFM is largely an item mod. Install More Style for Mages in the items section of your install order.
  • DraikenWeAreDraikenWeAre Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2023
    @Pecca and @Endarire on EET I installed both Tome and Blood Choose your Familiar and MSFM NPC Familiars.
    As in the Original MSFM , not Endarires edit.

I discovered these NPCs will and wont get familiars

Those that do are:
    Neera
    Nalia
    Imoen
    Aerie

Those that do not are:
    Edwin
    Dynaheir
    Xzar
    Quayle
    Xan
    Baeloth

(Didn't check Safana,Khalid or Yoshimo as I didnt mod them to mages yet)

Tome and Blood doesn't interupt with MSFM it so the menu appears (which is meaningless for the NPCs) so it will then just generate the MSFM NPC Familiar.

I don't know how it could affect it, Endarire's edit, though I'll take a look at it later, maybe however the interface is coded , aids in bringing out the familiar's.

Though they still don't level up (but personally that doesn't really bug me)

Just wanted to let this be out there.

@_Connacht_ I would say install MSFM first then T&B or SubtleDoctor Tweaks (preferable the later as its more updated in player charecter Familiar tweaks), thats how I got both to work.

Install only the NPC Familiar's from MSFM then everything else Familiar related should be from either of SubtleDoctor's Mods.

Then Install @Endarire 's edited MSFM for the other stuff to work in EET.
    Post edited by DraikenWeAre on
    The EET version of MSFM I posted above only has Edwin's familiar working.

Infinity Engine mods generally only allow the vanilla familiar code or one mod's familiar overhaul to work. The stats of T&B's revised familiars and the stats of MSFM's familiars haven't worked well together, but if you can, for example, get the bonus stats of T&B's rat familiar that can cast spells via MSFM's Mage familiars, go ahead and share how you did it.
    edited December 2023
    @Endarire You misunderstood me, I'm not trying to get MSFM familiars to have T&B Familiar Stats (they don't get those).

I'm saying I stumbled upon a glitch or bug or somthing which somehow half fixes the issue of NPC Familiars component not working on EET.

You were the one who highlighted that the mod component doesn't work in EET , so it's by happenstance I discovered this and thought maybe you can look into to it , so you can get other NPC Familiars to work besides just Edwin.

Anyway I tested it out with your Edit and it causes Edwin to not beable to get Familiars again even though you've specifically made it so, while the others I mentioned in my last comment can still get thier familiars.

I'm not a coder or mod creator/editor etc, i Just wanted to use both mods because I liked them, then discovered this happend and thought you'd like to know, thats all.

Edit: As a Side note (for something I would say doesn't really bug me) the Teleport Stonr doesn't appear in Umar Hills Cave while still appearing in Smugglers Cave in TOB
    Post edited by DraikenWeAre on
    Teleport Stone: Odd. I haven't found nor used it.

Edwin's familiar worked with the newest version I posted, but I had a minimalistic EET install (EET + MSFM + maybe other minor mods). I used the console to spawn Edwin in Candlekeep but he couldn't use his familiar there. After the prolog/tutorial, Edwin could conjure his familiar.

Mixing familiar stats from various mods: I misunderstood your initial point with this.

Overall, thankee!
    @Endarire oh , I tried the same spawning Edwin into Candlekeep and seeing if he could cast find familiar, I guess I have to see if other companions can do it outside.

Also I was replying to your comment of saying if I can get the bonus stats of T&B to work on MSFM Familiars.
    That's not somthing I'm trying to do, all I want is that my Protag can have a Familiar and so can Party members.

Then discovered installing both mods, half fixed an issue with MSFM on EET thats all.

As for Teleport Stone there are supposed to be two in MSFM, one in Smugglers Cave which still appears and one in SOA in the Cave with the Mimic, It's supposed to be inside the Mimic.

But isn't in EET , because I guess compatibility issue , I thought you were aware of this.
    What you mentioned was the first I'd heard of it. @Pecca, we seek your guidance on this.

@DraikenWeAre To clarify, what components from what mods should be installed on what order to get MSFM NPC familiars and T&B familiar stats? I reread your previous post but things didn't click yet with me.

Thankee!
    @Endarire When you say T&B stats, do you mean for Charnames familiars or NPC Familiars.

Because my Charname uses T&B Familiars while Companions use NPC Familiars.

I installed MSFM NPC Familiars component only , (not Customize Familiars) then installed T&B after and got the companions I mentioned above to have thier own Familiars just by casting find familiar spell.

When I cast the Find Familiar Spell the NPCs will get the same menu that Charname gets to select Familiars , but no matter what you press will get the Familiar thier supposed to get according to MSFM.

I hope you understand what I mean now.
    I better understand now what you mean. The MSFM version I posted had various updates coded by @larryerb, Edwin's EET familiar update among them. I'm unsure how to have these components work together as intended, though based on what he said, each NPC master/familiar combo needed separate coding at various familiar tiers for the various games (BG1, SoD, SoA, ToB). That's probably why Edwin's EET familiar was handled the way it was but others weren't.

Apologies if this wasn't what you wanted.

Thankee!
    @Endarire I'm glad you're getting what I meant now, it's alright , no need to apologize.

I thought you were the one who actually encoded it , so maybe could figure out how come T&B makes NPCFAM work in EET, but when it normally doesnt.

But since you say they are coded individually, I guess it means however @Pecca encoded the Familiar's for the NPCs that work is very similar to whatever causes the generation of the Familiar's in T&B.

I don't know if that encoding or whatever could be extended to the other companions So all of the others also work in EET.
    EET is specific regarding familiars since it's considered a separate campaign from others (BG1, SoD, SoA, ToB) and needs separate code to work. EET compatible mods such as T&B and MSFM need specific code to handle the EET campaign; otherwise, unwanted or unpredictable effects are likely to occur .
    Also, to clarify, this is the GitHub branch larryerb updated for MSFM. May this help.

Enjoy!
  • esengeasesengeas Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2023
    Heya, I just installed EET with MSFM included and I was wondering if there was a way to make the customisable Familiar of this work via a console or EEkeeper workaround. When I try casting FF it just gives me the vanilla Familiar. When I cast it in the SoA portion it seems to work fine and I can even pick it up and import the char to bg1, but if I then release it out of the bag it just disappears. Is there perhaps a way to fix this by adding some sort of effect to my character via EEkeeper?
    In any case fantastic work on the mod! <3
    Post edited by esengeas on
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2
    What preset familiar does each NPC mage get?

Is the "Familiar for NPC Mages" component stable and complete?
    The component is stable and complete for a long time. There was a plan once, to add some dialogue to them, but no more. Don't really remember specific NPC familiars, it's always one of the extended options.
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2
    Pecca wrote: »
    There was a plan once, to add some dialogue to them, but no more. Don't really remember specific NPC familiars, it's always one of the extended options.

So what exactly can the the NPC familiars do?

I know the familiars do not banter, but are they at all interactive (i.e., can talk to their NPC masters) or have any abilities?