Skip to content

[MOD] More Style for Mages (v1.56)

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    To confirm: Do all the non-Familiar components work properly on EET?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    (Quote)
    I really like your mod, and I am interested in investigating this issue. I have been thinking about doing something with familiars for ages. My plan has always been to see what @argent77 has done in his golem creation mod, and go from there. In any case, when I do get to that--it won't be for a few weeks, at least--then I can see how it would apply to your mod and give you some code.

I forgot about this. I'll see about putting this back on the agenda (this was about eet compressibility)
    @Grammarsalad
    International? Do you mean important EET familiar info?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Grammarsalad
    International? Do you mean important EET familiar info?

Lol, I think I meant "information". Autocorrect has been sneaking up on me lately
    @Grammarsalad
    How fares your aid on making this mod EET compatible?
    @Pecca
    Does this mod have an orange ioun stone for +1 caster level? If not, may we get it?

Thankee!
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    How many bonus points for a thieving skill does a familiar actually get if I choose the thieving route?
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    It seem that for EET-compatibility of the familiar component, this mod would simply have to disable the EET familiar script as explained here, which should be no real loss seeing as it includes its own familiar progression system.
  • mateusz_stepienmateusz_stepien Member Posts: 28
    Hi @Pecca

I tried to install mod but I stumbled upon an error:

#Using Language [Polski (by Cahir)]
    #[msfm/tra/polish.tra] LEXER ERROR at line 1 column 0--1
    #Near Text: ď
    # invalid character [ď]
    #[msfm/tra/polish.tra] ERROR at line 1 column 0--1
    #Near Text: ď
    # Parsing.Parse_error
    #ERROR: parsing [msfm/tra/polish.tra]: Parsing.Parse_error
    #ERROR: problem parsing TP file [msfm\msfm.tp2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    #
    #WARNING: msfm : 2 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 4

Any Idea what might be the cause?
    What other mods do you have installed?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited January 2021
    @mateusz_stepien Please use this link: https://github.com/Renegade0/msfm/archive/master.zip
    it has fixes for the polish language.

@Pecca Can you please create a new version with a new release so players will download the updated code?
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181
    The new release with that fix is drafted. Thanks.
    @Pecca
    You mentioned you exceeded the number of tooltips for staves. Would EEex from @Bubb fix that?
  • WulcyWulcy Member Posts: 32
    I was able to get 250,000+ XP and now I wish to activate the staff. The only problem is, the dialogue says "You don't want to activate the staff now." So when would I want to? I would like to now.
    @Pecca
    As mentioned here, MSFM doesn't seem to be entirely EET compatible. How may we get this fixed?

Thankee!
  • GiovanskiGiovanski Member Posts: 13
    @Endarire
    As a temporary solution, installing "Wizard's Staff for BG:EE" and "Circlet of Revelation for BG:EE" on BG:EE first then adding this mod to the EET compatibility table for import will place the items in Thalantyr's store. After EET core is installed, the rest of the components of this mod can be installed on EET.
    @Giovanski
    Thankee! Note that k4thos, the author of EET, has in the latest EET release removed support for most pre-BG1 mods on EET.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Giovanski
    Thankee! Note that k4thos, the author of EET, has in the latest EET release removed support for most pre-BG1 mods on EET.

That's not true. Support is still there, just not recomended.
  • Zendog7Zendog7 Member Posts: 31
    @Pecca
    First of all, thank you so much for this mod! It has added immeasurable continued enjoyment to this game for me.
    I have a couple of questions regarding the familiars..
    I can't see anywhere the thief familiars starting thief skills.. just that they get to add 50 points to one category every so often as main character levels up.. do I assume they begin on 0 for everything?
    Thanks in advance :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2021
    Giovanski wrote: »
    @Endarire
    As a temporary solution, installing "Wizard's Staff for BG:EE" and "Circlet of Revelation for BG:EE" on BG:EE first then adding this mod to the EET compatibility table for import will place the items in Thalantyr's store. After EET core is installed, the rest of the components of this mod can be installed on EET.

@Pecca

I love the look of this mod and I am trying to install it to my EET set up. I tried installing just the Wizard's Staff and the Circlet of Revelation in my BGEE/SoD folder before starting EET - which I think is what @Giovanski was suggesting. I was then planning to install the rest of it into my main EET set up . However, when I start EET I get the following message:

FAILURE:
    MSFM BG:EE mod is not recognized by EET, so it can't be imported to BG2:EE with EET

I dare say I am probably doing something stupid but can anybody point me to what it is?

EDIT: I found a solution here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/27741-mod-compatibility-list-for-eet/page/99/?tab=comments#comment-295699

For anyone else who is experiencing the same problem, you just download More Style For Mages into your BG2 folder then find the document msfm.tp2 (I did this using the search function on my computer). I'm using a mac so I opened it with Text Edit and then used find and replace to change bgee to bgee eet. Then you install msfm and run EET end. Hey pretso! Now when you visit Thalantyr at High Hedge you will find lots of wonderful things waiting for you!
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • LauretusLauretus Member Posts: 1
    Isewein wrote: »
    It seem that for EET-compatibility of the familiar component, this mod would simply have to disable the EET familiar script as explained here, which should be no real loss seeing as it includes its own familiar progression system.

Thanks for that link. MSFM is basically the only mod I regularly use, and after deciding to try out EET I was quite disappointed to find out that the familiar component didn't work with it. I was able to take what K4thos said in this post of that thread and modify msfm.tp2 to get it working.

If someone would like to replicate this themselves, I've posted the necessary edit as a comment to the MSFM github's issue regarding EET compatibility here. This change is so far working for me with MSFM version 1.57 and EET version 13.4.

Quick testing with a character at level 8 and another at level 16 shows that you can once again choose a familiar and that the familiar does still process the level up and present you with spells if you chose it to be a mage, and it can learn and cast them as expected.

I'm curious to find out if this is truly a complete fix for familiars, and I'll be starting that EET playthough soon to give it a good shake.
    edited November 2021
    @Giovanski
    Someone suggested I edit the MSFM.tp2 file and add eet to the lines where bgee was. I did this, and the items are available in the correct places, like I can get a Circlet of Revelation from Thalantyr. How to fix the scripts?

MSFM has scripts for 2 major components, Teleport Stones and the ability for certain recruitable NPCs to get familiars. At present, these don't work and I'm unsure how to fix them. I've found no way to give familiars to NPC casters, and the Teleport Stones have gone in the 1.57 release on EET from working in SoA & ToB areas but consumed after their first use to simply being consumed on their first use with no teleportation.

(Note that @Pecca has explicitly allowed others to add EET compatibility to MSFM.)

Thankee!
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    @Endarire For a bit of fun I ran this through the modconverter and was able to get a couple of things to install on bg1. Original mod they'd skip thee due to bg1.
    @hackinslash
    Specifically, where did you get this mod converter? How did you use this mod converter? What was updated for EET to also work on BG1EE?

Thankee!
    @Pecca
    What would be involved in adding full EET compatibility to this mod? I'm mostly concerned about the scripts (specifically NPC familiars and teleport stones) because with a bit of tweaking of msfm.tp2, the items installed correctly.

Thankee!
    @Pecca
    What would be involved in adding full EET compatibility to this mod? I'm mostly concerned about the scripts (specifically NPC familiars and teleport stones) because with a bit of tweaking of msfm.tp2, the items installed correctly.

Thankee!

It's quite a long time so I don't remember much. The teleport stone has a script for each area in bg2 available for teleporting, so it can be expanded with any area by expanding the script. As for familiars, there are scripts for bg1 levels and ones for bg2 levels, so you would need to merge them somehow, I think.
    edited November 2021
    @Pecca
    Did you intend for the Teleport stones to be one use only before being destroyed? My tests have shown that they are, and that seems unintended.

Also, since I'm working with someone else (LarryErb on GitHub) to update this mod for EET, may the community also add these tweaks? (You would still be credited for your work, of course.)

-Familiars for other characters. Notably, this includes BG1 NPCs modded into BG2 as well as the potential for other mod-added NPCs.

-Adding other familiars and tweaking familiar abilities. (I want to port the code from or otherwise use similar code to Tome & Blood for its familiars - with the mod author's permission, of course!)

-Other Staves of Wizardry, notably for AionZ's Shadow Magic users and Warlocks (Bard chassis).

-Fixing Stones of Teleportation to have daily charges or be usable at-will.

-Adding destinations for the Stones of Teleportation, including to locations from mods.

-Adding other Stones of Teleportation for BG1/SoD.

-Editing the Wizard's Hats (the pointy ones) to work with characters who don't use the Male Human Wizard model. (I have the appropriate lore planned for this.)

Thankee!
    Post edited by Endarire on
    @Endarire Teleport stone is supposed to act like a wand and should have 20 charges when obtained, if it isn't then it's a bug.

o113iy5ptugq.png

If you use console to create it, you must specify the number of charges. It is not intended to have one daily use.

You can do whatever you need for EET/other mod compatibility, as long as the original content will not change, I'm fine with it.

I'm especially looking forward for the pointy hat model. But remember that I am not its author. His author is @Smiley who is long gone from this forum.
    edited November 2021
    @Pecca
    The intent for the Wizard Hat revision was to allow other characters to use it, but just not display the model. Use Any Item already allows this.

The intent for crossmod compatibility is to avoid changing other mods (ones besides MSFM) if they're detected.