Skip to content

[MOD] "Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders" - Banter/Quest/Romance Mod for BG2!

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Thanks for your prompt attention :). This is probably unrelated to this mod but in my installation Gaal's initial speech in the Temple District was also bugged. I assume that an interjection of some sort was misfiring, possibly one of the NPCs from BG1 NPCs in SoA as Branwen had joined my party, but possibly some other cause. But summoning the relevant priest of helm was enough to get the quest going anyway. Congrats on joining G3.
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    edited October 2021
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Thanks for your prompt attention :). This is probably unrelated to this mod but in my installation Gaal's initial speech in the Temple District was also bugged. I assume that an interjection of some sort was misfiring, possibly one of the NPCs from BG1 NPCs in SoA as Branwen had joined my party, but possibly some other cause. But summoning the relevant priest of helm was enough to get the quest going anyway. Congrats on joining G3.

Yes, this cannot in any way relate to "HTaM", because Gaal's files and this dialogue are not affected in it.

However, if it is related to the "BG1 NPСs in BG2" mod, I can fix it, since I am supporting that mod, too. Please specify what exactly this bug looked like (which phrase was displayed incorrectly)? Write this to me in a personal message, please.
    Mod has been updated to version 3.6.2!
    • Added a small edit to Aran's script to avoid a possible bug when installed simultaneously with the "Romantic Encounters BG2" mod
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Austin87 wrote: »
    tl1942, thank you very much for your feedback, the opinions of the players are very important to me and our entire team!

I think you are right and it is better to give more options to the player. I will take this moment into account and have already forwarded these wishes to my co-authors. Previously, it was used due to the fact that different authors of the texts used a different way of telling the story and someone gave the player more freedom of choice, and someone less.

We are currently creating a new, very large mod that will add new quests and areas to the game, including a new village near Athkatla. In the new mod, we try to use the way you talked about as little as possible!

Hi Austin87. Following up on this, I want to say that I tried using this mod. But once I got into the mod content, the dialog style in this mod took me completely out of the game and I abandoned all the mod content due to that. Which is a shame because the mod looks really promising with great content

It’s not even the lack of dialogue options which is the issue. In original game, even if you have 1 dialogue option to pick from, it shows that option to the user and you select that one. Only NPCs talk automatically. When the charname talks without you participating, it took me out of the game completely.

I hope you and the team change this and then I would like to try the mod again. Looking forward to your updates
    edited January 2022
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    I hope you and the team change this and then I would like to try the mod again. Looking forward to your updates
    The reason for this is that when creating the code for the dialogs, I largely took "Rjali" mega-mod as an example, where this style of PC answers is often found. Also, it makes it very easy to code CHAIN blocks if there are player responses in it.

I would like to note that we do not have such a thing in all dialogues. If you install only the first component of the mod, then in general you will hardly meet this.
    But you are right. I think I'll have to go back to work on this mod and completely rewrite the dialog code (to replace the "Rjali method" with the standard response line clickable option). This is a tricky job considering how much text is in mod.

Thank you for the explanation. I hope it will not take too much effort to change the dialog style. But I believe this change will make the mod much more harmonious with the original game. Wish you good luck with the changes 😊
    edited January 2022
    I started working on a new 4.0 version, several files (including the Aran romance) have already been reworked. The changes are mostly technical, but not limited: in addition to changing the style of the protagonist's answers, I will also add new answer options to those dialogues where they were not enough (for example, dialogues with the Jackal). Given that several players have already asked for this, I decided to take into account these requests, although for this I had to pause the creation of our new mod.
    edited January 2022
    I reworked ALL of the mod's dialogs, replacing the player's response style with the classic one (with a clickable line to respond instead of "Rjali" mod's style responses). It was very difficult and took three days of continuous work.
    Now I need to test the result in the game (because with such a serious change in the code, errors could appear due to inattention).

In addition, I add additional options for the protagonist's answers to those dialogs where there was only one answer line. Now, even if the outcome of the dialogue is the same, the player will have different variants of phrases (coarser and more polite forms of answers, and so on), which will create the effect for the player to play different roles.

I will also make a mini-quest with milking a cow in the Slums available if there is not only Cernd in the party, but also Hubelpot (permission from the author of the Hubelpot mod, Bookwyrme, received).

+ I also decided to add more NPCs interjections in the dialogues of the second half of the game, where there were fewer of them earlier than in the first half.

The new version 4.0 will be ready in 5-7 days.

ATTENTION! If you have ideas for new NPC interjections (for Minsc, Mazzy, Jaheira, Hexxat etc) in any dialogues of the game - send me your texts and ideas, please!! I can add them now.
    Post edited by Austin87 on
    Sounds awesome Austin87. I will include the new version in my next playthrough. Thanks
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 210
    Austin87, I plaud the fact that you decided to rework these dialogues. Very well done, definitely appreciative of all the effort you put into this. Thank you.
    edited January 2022
    MOD UPDATED!!!
    This is the biggest update since release.

Version 4.0 includes the following changes:
    • Due to numerous requests from players, the code for the game's dialogues has been redesigned. Now in those dialogs where the “first-person view” was used before (with a portrait of the protagonist), the dialog has been changed to the classic version (with a click on the response line)
    • Added the fifth component of the mod. There were situations in the game when only one of all the NPCs spoke, although the developers provided replicas for each. After installing this component, all NPCs in the party will speak. Tipun's function that unlocked all NPC texts after the protagonist's first transformation into an Slayer has also been moved here.
    • Added a mini-quest when visiting the bank, it can be obtained from the woman at the entrance
    • Added even more new NPC "interjections" to the game's dialogues
    • Added new answer options to those dialogues where they were not enough (with the Jackal, etc.)
    • Added reactions of several NPCs after defeating the black dragon Nizidramanii'yt in the Suldanessellar. The group will now respond to kills of the three main dragons - Firkraag, Thaxll'ssillyia and Nizidramanii'yt, as well as the lich Kangaxx
    • Added the ability to deceive Shahbaz and, after completing his quest, lie that the cache was not found, leaving all the money to himself
    • Added the ability to try to "talk" with the troll even longer and ask him a series of questions, despite the fact that the troll cannot speak. If the player does this, Jaheira, Edwin, Cernd and Tiax (both versions from both Smiling Imp and Kulyok) will react to what is happening
    • Fixed a bug due to which, if the player found MaeVar's stash, but deceived Renal and did not give it back (and if the deception was revealed at the same time), the loot bag did not disappear from the inventory (although Renal said in the dialogue that he would have to give it back)
    • The miniquest with milking a cow in the Slums is now available not only for Cernd, but also for Hubelpot (permission from the author of the Hubelpot mod, Bookwyrme, received)
    • Changed the process of fighting in alliance with collectors (component 2, Korgan quest branch). Owney's group will now become "green", which will give the player control over their actions (similar to party NPCs, but only for the duration of the fight). This helped to avoid a situation where the player could accidentally injure an ally and he would start attacking him in response.
    • Fixed several bugs in the code of dialogs and scripts
    • Improved texts (including reworking Jan's interjection into dialogue with the wounded Renfeld to make his story more funny)

Project Page
    Visit the Forum
    Download mod from G3
    Download mod from GitHub
    The archive with the new version is re-uploaded. For those who plan to use this mod at the same time as "Tiax & Quayle" component from Smiling Imp's "BG1 NPC in SoA&ToB" mod, please re-download the archive - one bug has now been fixed that caused an installation error when installing cross-mod.
    For everyone else, don't worry.)
    Looks awesome. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Austin87
    edited January 2022
    New version 4.0.1, small edites:
    • Fixed compatibility with "BG1 NPC in SOA&TOB" mod
    • Removed unused scripts
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/1027-heroes-thieves-and-moneylenders/
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Which mod should be installed first and which afterwards to enjoy the most content out of these two: BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB and BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB?
    Mothor wrote: »
    Which mod should be installed first and which afterwards to enjoy the most content out of these two: BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB and BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB?

I didn't quite understand what second mod you are asking about since you mentioned one mod twice. But, since the question was asked in the HTAM topic, I think the question was about the collaboration of these two mods? The installation order is as follows:
    - you need to install "BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB" first
    - after it you need to install HTaM
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Mothor wrote: »

I didn't quite understand what second mod you are asking about since you mentioned one mod twice. But, since the question was asked in the HTAM topic, I think the question was about the collaboration of these two mods? The installation order is as follows:
    - you need to install "BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB" first
    - after it you need to install HTaM

Got it. I wrote by mistake about BG1 NPCS twice. :blush:
  • AriaAria Member Posts: 6
    Hi Austin,

I think I may have found a bug related to the mod. After killing the dragon in Suldanessellar, my character says "Component 1. Interjections & Mini-quests (by Austin & Arcanecoast Team)" and Korgan interjects with "Simon Shortleg". There was one other time something like this happened earlier (with Viconia interjecting) but I can't remember when that was sadly. If I replay and come upon the bug I will post again.

Thank you for the mod! I'm having a lot of fun replaying it with the changes.
    edited January 2022
    Aria wrote: »
    Hi Austin,

I think I may have found a bug related to the mod. After killing the dragon in Suldanessellar, my character says "Component 1. Interjections & Mini-quests (by Austin & Arcanecoast Team)" and Korgan interjects with "Simon Shortleg". There was one other time something like this happened earlier (with Viconia interjecting) but I can't remember when that was sadly. If I replay and come upon the bug I will post again.

Thank you for the mod! I'm having a lot of fun replaying it with the changes.

I'm sorry! :( That was my fault. I created texts in Russian and then translated them into English, but I forgot to add the new English tra-file that contains these lines.
    I have now fixed this in the new version 4.1:
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/tag/v.4.1
    edited January 2022
    Mod updated!!!

New version - 4.2!

-fixed bugs
    -improved the actions of the guards in the bank. Now she becomes hostile in the right cases, and the guards have become stronger and among them there are mage guards
    -added new NPCs interjections in the dialogue after leaving the Underdark

https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Austin87
    For simplification, you can link to your GitHub releases page instead of to a specific build, like https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/ . This way, this one link goes to whatever your latest release is.
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Austin87
    For simplification, you can link to your GitHub releases page instead of to a specific build, like https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/ . This way, this one link goes to whatever your latest release is.

I did it now, thanks!)
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    Hi I am having trouble with Mae'Var stash code i have an encrypted note that talks about 3 pictures am i supposed to work out the code from that? not sure how i would get a 5 digit number from it.
    mrb101 wrote: »
    Hi I am having trouble with Mae'Var stash code i have an encrypted note that talks about 3 pictures am i supposed to work out the code from that? not sure how i would get a 5 digit number from it.
    Hello! The hint is here (it is hidden under the spoiler):
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32406-htam-overview-and-download-links/?do=findComment&comment=301876
    Ahh I know nothing about the calendar of harptos i looked it up but still wasn't able to get the code. maybe you could message me?
    Ahh I know nothing about the calendar of harptos i looked it up but still wasn't able to get the code. maybe you could message me?

Harptos' calendar is used in Faerûn, here it is: http://dnd.steinhour.net/Forgotten_Realms_campaign/Forgotten_Realms/DnD_FR_calendar.html

I will send you an explanation in a private message, but I would advise you to try to solve this riddle yourself, it is not very difficult.
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 210

Harptos' calendar is used in Faerûn, here it is: http://dnd.steinhour.net/Forgotten_Realms_campaign/Forgotten_Realms/DnD_FR_calendar.html

I will send you an explanation in a private message, but I would advise you to try to solve this riddle yourself, it is not very difficult.

I don't remember to have seen it sold anywhere - maybe it would be cool to actually add an item that is actually a calendary for this exact reason and make Edwin refer to that?
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    +1 to an in-game calendar.
    Yeah a calendar in game would be great. Also i do not think the clues are that easy i would of thought loading a harvest onto a wagon would mean spring.