Skip to content

Raistlin Majere vs Elminster

13»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    "For me" and not having read the entire thread, I would say that Raistlin would win. Reason being that (and independent of what realm he is from), Eleminster is 'Friends with' a God. Raistlin didn't need friends to defeat a Pantheon of Gods. That pretty much seals it for me.

But it really depends on when. If you are talking about Raistlin pre Fistindantalis, then he'd lose. Afterwards? He was wiping out entire villages with his power. Low magic world or not, he was pretty much unstoppable.

I've always identified with Raistlin as 'The wizard' template for all of my wizard characters, so I might be a bit biased.
    [Deleted User]Sorvan76
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2015
    LadyRhian said:

. Plus Elminster has that Batman advantage called "crazy prepared".

So Elminster runs on PIS then?
    Sorvan76 said:

There 'aint nobody that Chuck Norris couldn't whup. He's technically a plot device! :D

Bruce Lee says Hi.
    Nimran
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    Morgul said:

Having played extensively in Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, with access to the stats of both characters in question, I would like to weigh in. I literally just made an account to do so. Raistlin is the superior magic user. Elminster is the stronger character. Still doesn't say who would win in a fight though. As I recall Raistlin was a level 27-29 magic user in 3.5. Elminster was like 32ish...? I'm too lazy to drag out the books right now. What I do recall is Elminster also had a couple of fighter levels, cleric, and rogue. While these are tricks that help in a fight, they detract from his competency in magic(not to say he isn't awesome). Also, not due to power settings but character preference, Elminser was a magic item whore. Decked out from head to toe. Raistlin personally detested mages who overly relied on magic items. Like Elminster. So he kept his to a minium so as to rely solely upon his own abilities. Elminter gets further boosts being a Chosen of Mystra; Raistlin killed his gods(ALL of them) in an alternate timeline and they never forgave him that fact. So Elminster gets an advantage there as well. Returning to the subject of magic items again, just because Raistlin was disdainful doesn't mean he was foolish. The artifact Staff of Magius, and the Orb of Dragonkind just to name a few. With an endless army of dragons and the likes of Wyrms like Cyan Bloodbane and Whisper, he could do much to weaken his worthy adversary long before he ever cast a single spell. People have also touted Elminster's long history of kicking ass and taking names. Nothing has been said of his ability to chew bubblegum, though. Raistlin actually wins this argument in the form of two things: the Bloodstone, and Fistandantilus. Raistlin absorbed Fistandantilus through the Bloodstone, which also possesses healing properties so that's useful, jumping his effective time on Krynn to close to the 3000 year mark as I recall. Again, too lazy to grab the books. Raistlin's abilities as the Master of Past and Present allow him to see the flow of time in the past , present and future and adjust accordingly. He references this fact in Dragons of a Summer Flame. So he has a bit of an upswing there. Also, like Chosen of Mystra, Master of the Tower of High Sorcery is also a template with some neat perks, so he's not deficient there either. Long story short, who wins? It depends really on where they are fighting. In Forgotten Realms? Elminster. In Dragonlance? Raistlin. Somewhere else? THAT is the fight of the century my friends.

Nice post, and pretty much what I've settled for now, too - I don't think it's a question of either's power - either could obliterate the other after an exhausting contest of raw magical power. If Raist were to conflict Elminster on Abeir-Toril, the resources Elminster has at his disposal (including the favor of gods) would likely result in Raist's defeat, no-matter the nature of the conflict, (i.e., be it chance encounter or stretched out campaign ). Were the shoe on the other foot, however (i.e. Elmisnter challenging Raist on Krynn), Raistlin would undoubtedly win through.

This has been a great conversation! Thank you all for your input! :smile:

Is it okay to call it a draw? :wink:
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    Sorvan76 said:

There 'aint nobody that Chuck Norris couldn't whup. He's technically a plot device! :D

Bruce Lee says Hi.

Where from?
  • Gh0staGh0sta Member Posts: 1
    Raistlin would win.
    He also absorbed the powers and knowledge of the 1000+ year old lich Fistandatalis.
    He killed all the Gods and everything else to become the only living thing in the universe.
    Master of past and present, time travel, dimensional travel.

If Dragonlance was modernized, accounting for inflation of D&D advancements and in general peoples notions of bigger = better in all games then it would be more interesting.

Really though its like comparing bananas & oranges.

Sorvan76
  • aBlightedLightaBlightedLight Member Posts: 1
    wouldn't the fact that Raistlin Majere is master of both past and present imply that he would be able to on par (i.e. powerscaling) with any opponent regardless of say Elminster's 1000+yr powergamming. Like for example if we compare Elminster and his 1000+yr of combat experience with Raistlin's master of both past and present (i.e. time/fate) would be able to say that if the two go all out against each other that it would create a multiversal extinction event ending with a draw of mutual annihilation?