Skip to content

Raistlin Majere vs Elminster

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    So THAT'S what Baeloth has been up to. WELCOME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN TO THIS FIGHT FOR THE AGES!!! etc. etc.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    kiwidoc said:

Personally I think whoever is selling the seats in the venue is going to be the winner.

Anyone can , except Raistlin himself. He needs the powerful magic you call "savegame".

LadyRhian said:

Also, the other thing is that Elminster thrives on being underestimated.

Yea yea thrives. The other 'crucial' thing he thrives is luck that's what I say. How I wish we would have met after I had my Black Razor. I would paint it black that hat , and wouldn't care if it is just ornamental or not.
    Resurrect Drizzt for more info.

And blame D&D for making me such powagamey.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited November 2014
    @typo_tilly He wasn't just angry- he was cool. He was cursed to see everything aging, degrading and dying before his eyes- that's what was up with his Hourglass shaped pupils. A curse he received because he *was* willing to kill even his own brother to save his own life (it was an illusion, but he fire balled everyone with him on his test in the Tower of High Sorcery). It was the test that made him so sickly (it literally broke his health, as I recall he was not the most sturdy of people before the test, and, in game terms, lost, like 5 CON as part of the test). And the hourglass pupils was a reminder of how far he was willing to go to screw other people over so he could survive. These tendencies only became worse when he went from being a red robe mage (Mostly neutral alignment) to a black robe mage (evil Alignment). In short, a weak guy who used others to get ahead, and the tendency only got worse as he got older.

But he was a fairly powerful mage, and he didn't fit the heroic stereotype, so people fixated on him as a character. In the same way, Drizzt also doesn't fit the heroic stereotype- he's (Raistlin) the opposite of Drizzt- someone from a race generally given to evil who didn't fit in and rose above his origins to be a hero. Someone who goes out of his way to protect others despite being from a culture that tells people to put themselves first. In a way, he's a mirror Raistlin who comes from the opposite side. Both characters are Iconoclasts to their home culture. But just as Raistlin had friends but lost them all- Drizzt had no real friends, but gains them because of how he treats others.

A female version would be Kitiara, the small town girl who became a Dragon Highlord and left family and friends behind. The only difference is that the character of Raistlin became known to people because he was part of the saga from the first. Readers/players only knew of Kitiara from the past- we never got to know her as well as we did Raistlin.

I had sympathy for Raistlin at first. You know, as a character, he seems to have gotten a bad hand from life. But as you go on and read more about him, you begin to realize he's suffering from the choices he's made, and he pretty much deserves what he gets- that was how it seemed to me, anyway. He can be somewhat heroic at the beginning, but as time goes on, his attitude becomes more and more selfish and crystallizes.

As much as I feel Drizzt has become overplayed and a Mary Sue/Marty Stu-ish character (and to be honest, this is even more true of Jarlaxle), I still like him far better than Raistlin for the same reason I prefer Elminster over Raistlin- Drizzt does his best to be heroic and help his friends and the other people he knows. As I get older, I find heroes more interesting than selfish people, because IRL, it's harder to be a hero than to be a selfish git.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I was always a fan of Tasslehoff and Flint. While the novel series eventually went so wrong I stopped reading, I always felt the ending for Tass and Flint was one of the best farewells.

Raistlin was hard to like in a lot of ways, although his odd friendship with the gully dwarf woman (I can't remember the name at the moment) was one of the cracks in his otherwise evil wizard persona. I suppose his supporters and fans would say the choice he made once ultimate power was in his grasp was a sign that he wasn't completely evil. That though is definitely a point for debate.
    @LadyRhian @typo_tilly As long as they are in a software which I will not be bored to play , they all will share the similar terror. The greater they fight to hype , the greater joy I'll have in slaying. Then I will uninstall it , if that were not enough for them ( grin grin ). Then I'll open MATLAB and start to write my own codes for my work , so anyone else may have joy in ruining them. The circle of coding , yes ( pentagram ? ).
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    @elminster‌ for the win!
    @kcwise He does have a soft spot for someone who suffers through no fault of their own (like gully Dwarves). And Bupu was one of them. And he also does express genuine regret that he cannot return to his youth when he was actually capable of feeling love. But neither of those really changes the kind of person he is.
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    Raistlin reminds me of Darth Vader in a way. Both surrounded by tragedy which fueled their powerful characters - fans wanted them both to be more powerful. I guess Raistlin kinda fed into me because I grew up with him. Both Vader and Raistlin were sad and hollow people in certain ways, but people having been known to exhibit compassion in their lives. Interesting characters. I think Elminster wins this one in outright power (TFR is full of hugely powerful folks and non-folks), although were El born in Raist's world, who knows? :D

Thanks for the input everybody! :)
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    LadyRhian said:

@kcwise He does have a soft spot for someone who suffers through no fault of their own (like gully Dwarves). And Bupu was one of them. And he also does express genuine regret that he cannot return to his youth when he was actually capable of feeling love. But neither of those really changes the kind of person he is.

He loved his brother Caramon. In the test, he was cursed with hour-glass eyes because he wanted to succeed, not survive. He killed the illusion of Caramon because he was jealous of Caramon seemingly using magic. I think that's quite an important distinction. Raistlin was driven by a need to prove himself strong in ways distinct from his physically powerful twin. He felt robbed. Apparently, he always kept his compassion for the weak - although god knows what he was thinking when he created all those twisted, deformed and (clearly suffering) creatures in the tower.

@Sorvan76 I am sure he thought they deserved to be there.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    demented said:

Elminster vs a cute kitten. Who would win?

What if the cute kitten is a demon in disguise? Elminster would blast it back to another plane.
    demented said:

Elminster vs a cute kitten. Who would win?

He'd just teleport it to where it could do no harm. Maybe he'd even adopt and feed it. Everybody wins!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Personally, I wouldn't cross a road with an Elminster's kitten...
    edited November 2014
    And then the kitten turns into the Symbul. ;)
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    Sorvan76 said:

kcwise said:

I think we all know Chuck Norris could whup them both. ;)

There 'aint nobody that Chuck Norris couldn't whup. He's technically a plot device! :D
    The Nameless One...
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    DreadKhan said:

I think Raistlin is a better character, but Elminster is blatantly powergaming for +1000 years. :s This is an annoyance in Forgotten Realms, its too powergamey and high magic.

El would win this though.

This
  • MorgulMorgul Member Posts: 1
    Having played extensively in Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, with access to the stats of both characters in question, I would like to weigh in. I literally just made an account to do so. Raistlin is the superior magic user. Elminster is the stronger character. Still doesn't say who would win in a fight though. As I recall Raistlin was a level 27-29 magic user in 3.5. Elminster was like 32ish...? I'm too lazy to drag out the books right now. What I do recall is Elminster also had a couple of fighter levels, cleric, and rogue. While these are tricks that help in a fight, they detract from his competency in magic(not to say he isn't awesome). Also, not due to power settings but character preference, Elminser was a magic item whore. Decked out from head to toe. Raistlin personally detested mages who overly relied on magic items. Like Elminster. So he kept his to a minium so as to rely solely upon his own abilities. Elminter gets further boosts being a Chosen of Mystra; Raistlin killed his gods(ALL of them) in an alternate timeline and they never forgave him that fact. So Elminster gets an advantage there as well. Returning to the subject of magic items again, just because Raistlin was disdainful doesn't mean he was foolish. The artifact Staff of Magius, and the Orb of Dragonkind just to name a few. With an endless army of dragons and the likes of Wyrms like Cyan Bloodbane and Whisper, he could do much to weaken his worthy adversary long before he ever cast a single spell. People have also touted Elminster's long history of kicking ass and taking names. Nothing has been said of his ability to chew bubblegum, though. Raistlin actually wins this argument in the form of two things: the Bloodstone, and Fistandantilus. Raistlin absorbed Fistandantilus through the Bloodstone, which also possesses healing properties so that's useful, jumping his effective time on Krynn to close to the 3000 year mark as I recall. Again, too lazy to grab the books. Raistlin's abilities as the Master of Past and Present allow him to see the flow of time in the past , present and future and adjust accordingly. He references this fact in Dragons of a Summer Flame. So he has a bit of an upswing there. Also, like Chosen of Mystra, Master of the Tower of High Sorcery is also a template with some neat perks, so he's not deficient there either. Long story short, who wins? It depends really on where they are fighting. In Forgotten Realms? Elminster. In Dragonlance? Raistlin. Somewhere else? THAT is the fight of the century my friends.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Elminster wins, he probably earns WotC more cash.
    Raistlin was the Drizzt of the Dragonlance Saga.