Skip to content

[v1.64] Emily, a Half-Elf* Archer for BG:EE + SoD and EET

Comments

• AdventurousDayAdventurousDay Member Posts: 25
    I think I found a bug. When you kick Emily out of the party in SOD, she freezes. You can't talk to her, so you can't make her rejoin the party.

Another thing, which isn't really a bug, is that Emily's voice is really muted compared to the other NPCs, like she's whispering or mumbling. It's the opposite problem with Recorder, whose voice recording is a little too loud compared to that of the others. And when you kick Recorder out of the party she says "It's the hero of Baldur's Gate!" as if she just met me.

Great job on your NPC mods, it made me replay BG :)
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    Weird, I'll look into the freezing bug.

I agree about the audio issues with Emily, they need a bit of volume tweaking. I'm working on that as well.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2022
    Hello again. I love Emily but due to helth issues, and computure hardware failures I've never managed to finish SoD with Emily in my team. I want to try again with Emily as an Arcane Archer/ Mage multiclass. I've used this several times before without a problem. However this time, using a completely fresh reinstall of the game, I can't install Emily properly. The install just won't recognise that I have already installed the Artisan's Corner Kitpack (both Arcane Archer & Arcane Archer/ Mage classes) - so I cannot pick a class for her.

I've tried doing a complete uninstall and starting over - but no joy. I am using the latest version of both Emily, and the Artisan kitpack.
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    edited June 2022
    Sorry, Artisan's Kitpack was updated and I needed to update Emily to be in sync. It should be updated now, but:

Install SkitiasNPCs/Emily first, then Artisan's Kitpack's Arcane Archer component. It will ask there if you want to install one of the arcane archer classes, or leave it as archer.

I've also taken the chance to amplify the sound files so they are more clear and less muffled.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    YAY! Success :D Many thanks for the quick response.
    A new problem. I've decided to play her just as an Arcane Archer rather than Arcane Archer/Mage. The problem is she can't wear chain mail.

The kit description says "May not wear armor heavier than chain mail" - which means she should be able to wear chain.
    edited June 2022
    That would be something for @TheArtisan. Pretty sure the kit was made to follow the archer kit restrictions which means she can only wear very specific chain mail, otherwise limited to leather, studded, hide. Pretty sure once upon a time the Archer Kit was also mis-stated to say they could wear leather when they can't.
    Ah that would explain it - I had her wearing chain in prvious run throughs, but the kitpack has been updated since then, and I didn't keep the old version.
    edited June 2022
    In the past Emily has always made unlimited numbers of enhanced arrows for me. Now she is telling me her supplies are about to run out. Does this mean she only gets 100 per sort of arrow (i.e. +1 or +2 etc) or does it mean she only makes 100 arrows in the entire game?

btw I have noticed her speaking very, very quietly byt I see you already aware of this and on it B) Super Modder strikes again!
    edited June 2022
    The audio files should be improved, so on a redownload the quietness should be fixed. If not, I'll amp the volume even more.

As for the arrows/bolts, she should have enough to make 240 of a combination of bolts/arrows, or 20 uses, mainly for balancing. Other NPCs make arrows (Eldoth/ Aura) and making reliable damage arrows that spawned at twice the quantity as others finite seemed a good way to balance them, especially the Enchant IV ones, which apply movement penalty, +1 to each element, and +2 enchant.

In BG2 during Rest Talks you can give her gold to restore her supplies, allowing you to create as many as you like as long as you are willing to pay gold when she runs out. I'll probably bring something like this to BG:EE/SoD at some point, since it can be a nice thing to throw excessive gold towards.
    I can still here her voice and I am not going to risk trying to install a new download - that went wrong in so many ways and lost my last game (thankfully only after the Gnoll Stronghold, Ogre King & Nashkel - only 10 hours work!)

I'm still not sure if thats all the arrows I'll ever get from her. If I don't get any more at all, is it possible to just dump the bolts and arrows she's mage and reset so I can use the skill for higher powered arrows?
    edited June 2022
    For the arrows:
    For as long as they haven't been exhausted, you can always just type C:SetGlobal("X3ECraft","GLOBAL",1) to regain 200+ more supplies. At Global("X3ECraft","GLOBAL",29), it removes the crafting abilities and resetting it at that point would do nothing. To save time, you could probably even do C:SetGlobal("X3ECraft","GLOBAL",31) and never have to type it again.
    (I guess this is "cheating", so I edited this under a spoiler.)

As for the audio files, just download this zip, and place its contents into the override folder, have it saved over any audio files. Should work like a charm, no need to redownload/re-install.
    edited June 2022
    I'm faced with two choices

1/. Being "good" Using C:SetGlobal("X3ECraft","GLOBAL",1) and chucking the current batch. I will only be able to have 200 bolts/arrows and I choose what level to make them.

2/. Using C:SetGlobal("X3ECraft","GLOBAL",31) to get back the old Emily I know and love with her awasome arrows. I got that Emily as far as the Underground River TWICE - the first time my PC hard drive failed, the second time my sight, co-ordintation and brain power failed so I accidentally deleted the wrong game using the BeamDog app.

Would doing these fixes allow her to make more powerful arrows when she levels up?
    Yes, if she's at a certain level, the arrows get more powerful. I believe more powerful arrows happen at level 6/12/18.
    Many thanks :) I am still struggling with my sight and co-ordination of my fingers so I think I probabl deserve a little cheating in BG1, but I'll behave better when I get to BG2 :)
    Just to let you know the proslem with her voice varying in volume is now fixed. YAY!

Also just to let you know both me and my husband find it hilarious when in a stern and serious voice she says "You have made a grave mistake" to a zombie. That'll teach it not to leave it's grave again!

btw has she got a new voice actor, or is my mind playing tricks on me?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    The volume difference was the cause of getting an actual voice actress instead of reusing Sharwyn's set from NWN Hordes of the Underdark.
    I really like the new voice. She speaks very clearly, and her accent adds a bit of an exotic flavour to Emily which really fits her story.
    edited June 2022
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked the new voice!

I took the time today to fix another longstanding bug, where if Emily is removed from the party in SoD, she doesn't say anything. Not really needed to download if you never plan on removing Emily in SoD.
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2022
    I've run into a problem installing Emily on BG1 (Steam)
    primarily: while installed, BG1 will *not* launch. No errors or anything, I just click play and the button turns blue for a few seconds before going back to green.
    secondarily: she HAS to be installed before the dlc merge or she'll throw up an error (the same one Trancingbear was having on page 2 of this forum.) (this isn't really a problem, but thought I'd mention it in case there was anything you could do that could be rolled up into a future version.

I have neither of these problems with Beamdog and don't have GoG to test if there is a similar issue there
    edited August 2022
    Berrun is supposed to have 20+ dialogue lines, so if you're getting the same error, just use the zip below, go into Emily/Dialogue, and replace X3milyJ with the one inside.

Or if you are tech savvy, just open X3milyJ in the text editor, and remove lines 1463, 1464 and 1465.

Then install it after DLC Merge. (Installing it before may be why it won't launch.)

I wonder if the steam version has an issue with incomplete files. It's the only version I don't have, I have GoG and Beamdog and it works on those.
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2022
    @Skitia

thank you :)

you know how your car makes a funny noise until you take it to the mechanic?

So, last night Emily would either install and break my game or not install if the DLC merge was installed first. Today, I tried the new .d file (both the one you sent and editing it myself) and she wouldn't install at all before or after the DLC merge. So I reinstall the DLC merge so I can compare the two errors (which necessitated extracting a new copy of the original .d file. And now she works! After DLC merge! Without breaking my game! /eyeroll

Post edited by kimmuryiel on
    The most classic fix of all computers, the redo of everything. :)
  • woodstockwoodstock Member Posts: 4
    Hi Skitia,
    Really enjoying Emily, kale, and Helga, but I've started to run into a walk stuttering issue. I have multiple romances enabled with cdtweaks which i believe is the root of the problem. It first started with Kale, right around the time his romance activated (went from 1 to 2), at the time I decided to just ditch him since that was the only fix to the stuttering. Now it is happening with Emily, but I don't want to drop her. In both instances they stutter with another vanilla NPC (Anomen and Jaheira). I ran the stutterdebug tool and it came back with "Running block 63 of X3EMI.BCS" as well as "Running block 89 of JAHEIRA.BCS". In Near Infinity i can find what that means for Jaheira, but i can't find what block 63 is for Emily. I already tried to set JaheiraRomanceActive to 1 and 3, to no luck. Before i had other romanceable vanilla NPCs, and was just running with both Emily and kale's romances, there was no issue, it was just when i added a vanilla npc that had a romance option that it bugged out. I'm going to try to disable the romance cheats with cdtweaks and hope it doesn't break my game. I'm not sure if its Emily or on of the vanilla npcs causing the issue, but just thought you'd like to know about the interaction and wonder if you have any recommendations.
    Thanks!
    I'm gone for about two weeks, and sadly not able to help for a bit. I can assist when I get back though!

Try C:GetGlobal("X3EmiLoveTalk","LOCALS") while Emily is clicked on (or hovered over), I'm curious what that number is.
  • woodstockwoodstock Member Posts: 4
    No worries. The number is 23.
    I was successful at uninstalling the romance cheats and that seems to have fixed everything, so I will go back to the normal monogamous playthrough and just will have to do more playthroughs to experience the others. Sometimes the quick ways aren't the best i guess.
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2022
    Hi, I'm having a problem installing Emily to EET, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for; Emily installs fine, but whenever I execute EET_End afterwards, it always gives me a "Installed with warnings" message. My first guess is that EET failed somewhere along the line, but just wanted to make sure there are no problems with Emily that I hadn't noticed. first. In its debug file I find this:
    Patching X32MILYJ.dlg - PID (SoD)
    Copied [X32MILYJ.dlg] to [EET/temp/append/dlg/X32MILYJ.d]
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
    [./override/X3MILYJ.DLG] loaded, 70305 bytes
    [X3MILYJ.DLG] loaded
    WARNING: internal label [611] not found in processed DLG [X3MILYJ]
    [X3MILYJ.DLG] saved	789 states, 1626 trans, 38 strig, 423 ttrig, 224 actions
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
    Adding X32MILYJ to internal list of available DLGs
    [X32MILYJ.DLG] saved	0 states, 0 trans, 0 strig, 0 ttrig, 0 actions
    override/X32MILYJ.dlg copied to EET_end/backup/0/X32MILYJ.dlg, 44750 bytes
    Copying and patching 1541 files ...

Opening X3milyJ.d in notepad++ the only 611 something I find is this:
    SAY @611 // ~They do not sound like good people. There's talk of torture, and experimentation. A philosophy of purity...I can't imagine her lying to herself. We shouldn't have taken her life.~

• ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    Seems my comment got eaten by the void and lost it entirely. Oh well. I had a problem installing Emily with EET. Emily itself installed fine after the EET core, but when installing EET_end, it gives me a "installed with warnings" message. Looking into its debug log it says it couldn't find "Label 611" in X3milyJ.d (opening the file in notepad++ I can at least find one 611 element that's related to a "they can't be good people" dialogue line).

I assume the error is in EET, but just wanted to give a heads up in case it's not the case.
    I would ignore the error for now. I don’t see it hurting anything. I can look at it in two weeks if it does cause issues, but I doubt it.