Skip to content

Update 2.6 for iOS // Apple will remove the app, if not updated

AvengerNX09AvengerNX09 Member Posts: 10
Hello, is there any ETA on when the update will arrive in the AppStore?

According to this, the app will soon be removed if the update doesn’t arrive within 30 days:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/24/apple-now-removing-outdated-apps-from-the-app-store-developers-complain/

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store-improvements/

Please tell me, that the update is nearly ready. Or will iOS development be suspended indefinitely?

Comments

• BrigadierDogBrigadierDog Member Posts: 14
    Where’s the app???
  • AvengerNX09AvengerNX09 Member Posts: 10
    Where’s the app???

The app is still available in the AppStore, just like Icewind Dale, Torment and so on. If no update arrives soon, the app will be delisted, however.

@JuliusBorisov Can you comment on this situation?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    As we understand, the game won't be removed from the store. We're still working on the update though.
  • CaptainBubblesCaptainBubbles Member Posts: 1
    I do not see the app for AA1942 Online for iPad. I get the message “not available in your area”
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I do not see the app for AA1942 Online for iPad. I get the message “not available in your area”

The OP is about Baldur's Gate. You're referring to AAO.

We have made a decision to remove Axis & Allies 1942 Online from the App Store to fix the Black Screen and the dice animation issues.
    Here is how you should be able to download the game while it is in the state where it cannot be purchased (if you purchased Axis & Allies 1942 Online from the App Store in the past):
    1, Open the App Store.
    2. Open your profile using the icon in the top right.
    3. Click the Purchased button.
    4. Click the download icon next to Axis & Allies 1942 Online.
    (Note: If you click on the title or image for our app, it will take you to a page with a connection error because the store page no longer exists. You need to specifically click the download button).
    The game will fully return to the App Store only when we feel the quality of the iOS version is sufficient.
  • AvengerNX09AvengerNX09 Member Posts: 10
    As we understand, the game won't be removed from the store. We're still working on the update though.

Is there any word on how long this will take? WWDC?
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27

Is there any particular reason why it takes so long? Generally speaking should be easier if anything to implement the update on ios vs android, while it's already 1 year after the android release and still no ETA basically besides "we are working here and there on it".
    We don't have many in-house iOS developers, and there were specific problems leading to crashes on iOS in the build of 2.6 (not present in the Android build).
    We don't have many in-house iOS developers, and there were specific problems leading to crashes on iOS in the build of 2.6 (not present in the Android build).

kk, appreciate the honest update, thanks.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    Hi @JuliusBorisov

That is unfortunate - but what happens. Good thing it was caught in an initial test. We will keep our fingers crossef and steel our selves with patience.

Btw. Would it be possible to make a minor update to the IWD:ee for iOS. It still has the no access to the override/data/lang folders which are needed for modding… it has been a really long wait. An update would really hit a sore spot. Pretty please?
    For 2.7, not for 2.6. The code is locked for 2.6.

Hi @JuliusBorisov

I dont quite get that. Will the 2.6 version of IWD:ee be unmodable? It would be my only wish for any given update, and I clearly remember Luke93 filing it as a bug - please say its in the 2.6.

Or preferably that there will be a 2.45 version or something like that if its not in 2.6 update :'(
  • MelcosoftMelcosoft Member Posts: 3
    I've been waiting for this patch for iOS for over a year to play on an iPad pro with a normal screen size

Hi @JuliusBorisov

I dont quite get that. Will the 2.6 version of IWD:ee be unmodable? It would be my only wish for any given update, and I clearly remember Luke93 filing it as a bug - please say its in the 2.6.

Or preferably that there will be a 2.45 version or something like that if its not in 2.6 update :'(

Hi @JuliusBorisov

Hi @JuliusBorisov

Hope all is well. I have hidden a question in the above…. I should have posed the question more apparant. Sorry.
    Can you check and help me with an answer?
    Hi! I've seen the question, I just don't know the answer to it, sorry. The acquisition process is still going through, until it finishes, there is no progress on the iOS version.
    Hi @JuliusBorisov

Thanks. Will be looking forward to it.
  • Alessandro1970Alessandro1970 Member Posts: 10
    Any news about iOS and M1 version, please ?
    The acquisition process is still going through (such things take a lot of time).
    The acquisition process is still going through (such things take a lot of time).

Why that's the case tho? Imagine bethesda stopping all work/support for their games, because they are acquired by microsoft. :)

My point is there are countless of examples and noone stopped supporting their titles while waiting for the process to end (and indeed it takes a lot of time).
  • ss7877ss7877 Member Posts: 49
    cha0z_ wrote: »

Why that's the case tho? Imagine bethesda stopping all work/support for their games, because they are acquired by microsoft. :)

My point is there are countless of examples and noone stopped supporting their titles while waiting for the process to end (and indeed it takes a lot of time).

I have suspicions that there is no iOS-programmer in Beamdog. And they will not hire him for a permanent job or a specific patch-project until the end of the acquisition.
    It's true that we don't have iOS programmers in-house.
  • nhuk97nhuk97 Member Posts: 8
    i thought it was "Enhanced"edition....
    what i have now is Shit edition...the graphics are blurry its unbearable.....
    i hope someone knows how to fix this......
  • DorianDorian Member Posts: 2
    nhuk97 wrote: »
    i thought it was "Enhanced"edition....
    what i have now is Shit edition...the graphics are blurry its unbearable.....
    i hope someone knows how to fix this......

Are you sure that you chose correct topic for complaining like this?
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 330
    The graphics overall look fine to me. But I do wish they would bring back good ole catmull-rom.
  • Could you find someone to update the iOS/M1 (that can run on MacBook Pro M1 too) ?
  • Any news about AppleStore release for iOS ?
    This can run on MBP M1 Cpu !
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2022
    @JuliusBorisov Thank you for the updates! As an iOS Developer I have a quick suggestion that will improve playability tremendously. Currently, most iOS devices have done away with the home button and rely on a gesture area (aka "home bar") at the bottom of the screen that only reacts to swiping. By default, apple has old apps shrink their view area proportionally and move their window above the home bar. This smaller zone is the default "safe area". As a result they no longer take advantage of the full screen real estate, and everything is much tinier and a worse experience (compacted pixel appearance, hard to read/tap interface) than it was on older devices that had a home button. There are essentially extra black bezels around not only the bottom, but also the left and right of the content as everything is scaled down.

v3mf7oi9ynjf.png
    kl2kbaf2ijtm.png
    (This is even with "Scale User Interface" setting enabled)

However this is not necessary - Beamdog's NWN:EE maximizes vertical screen real estate (note the bar is on the content, not under):

823jhbhu7f1w.png

I know what you're thinking - the BG UI has elements there, and we can't redesign it to be like NWN:EE. No problem - you can just hide the home bar (many immersive games do this with Apple's tacit approval) using this: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiviewcontroller/2887510-prefershomeindicatorautohidden?language=objc

In Landscape orientation iOS lets you expand to fill the bottom safe area while still respecting and avoiding the trickier left/right safe areas (notch) - only the bottomAnchor of the safeAreaLayoutGuide needs editing. And if you hide the bar using the prefersHomeIndicatorAutoHidden property linked above, no in-game UI change is necessary. As long as the game does not have its own swipe up/left/right gestures at its bottom border there is no conflict. Taps on buttons are fine and do not conflict. Many popular games on the app store take up the full screen + hide the home bar + have their own buttons right where the hidden home bar area is.

Here is an approachable guide that a developer not accustomed to iOS may follow. The fix usually entails only changing a few lines of code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDEaL3mcCo

Thank you for your vigilant work - I just hope that the BG series can be as future-proof as possible as Beamdog prepares the next update.
    Post edited by Drakon on
    Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I'll be passing them to the team.
  • xiaxxxxiaxxx Member Posts: 1
    How long will it take to update? It has been more than a year.
  • LeciasLecias Member Posts: 3
    Is there any progress on this…?