Skip to content

[MOD] v3.3 Dorn romance expansion for BGII:EE

Comments

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    thanks guys! happy to know somebody is still playing this mod :)
    Ryz009
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Hi @trinit

I've made it my mission to (one day) go through all of the currently available romances for the Bioware NPCs (which with the BG1 NPC project, EE characters and mods is like 30 :# ) and I'm going to install this mod. I like to plan my characters in advance, so I have a quick question about the romance - thematically, is it possible in the dialogue to role-play a kind of not-necessarily-evil-just-weak-willed CHARNAME who's seduced by Dorn's power and confidence? Or is it better to go with someone who's as gung-ho about killing as he is? I tried the standard Dorn romance years ago and can't remember much about it.
    Mirandel
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Hi @trinit

I've made it my mission to (one day) go through all of the currently available romances for the Bioware NPCs (which with the BG1 NPC project, EE characters and mods is like 30 :# ) and I'm going to install this mod. I like to plan my characters in advance, so I have a quick question about the romance - thematically, is it possible in the dialogue to role-play a kind of not-necessarily-evil-just-weak-willed CHARNAME who's seduced by Dorn's power and confidence? Or is it better to go with someone who's as gung-ho about killing as he is? I tried the standard Dorn romance years ago and can't remember much about it.

thats a large project. i have only done: isra's, xan's, neera's, and corwin's.

megamike15 wrote: »
    thats a large project. i have only done: isra's, xan's, neera's, and corwin's.

I originally planned to play through the whole saga (BG all the way to ToB) for all of the runs, to really immerse myself in the roleplay... but I think that would be too much, even for me :sweat_smile: I've also started the bad habit of creating new soundsets for each new PC to give them distinct characters, which doesn't exactly speed up the process!
    megamike15
    @energisedcamel hey there, hope im not too late with my response :)

you don't have to be chaotic evil to romance dorn and different types of evil charnames are viable. being excited about killing is also not necessary and a neutral character that has no problems with a bit of evil should blend in.

dorn's romance is a bit of a push and pull and through the course of it you have an opportunity to direct him a bit (he will never be neutral or good though). so there is not a lot of space for someone weak willed, more like different minded.

that said, evil charname will probably be best. myself i prefer going lawful route if i play evil (which admittedly, i don't, but i make exception for dorn).
    energisedcamel
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    I know EE NPC like Dorn or Neera almost do not have interjections with non-party member NPC / quests NPC like the original NPC or MOD npc did. I would like to ask, does this MOD add interjections for Dorn so that he talk with other NPC as much as the original NPC?
    @marcnivar the mod does add a few interjections with non party members, especially in TOB (watchers keep and few encounters) but not a lot
    xiaoleiwen
    trinit wrote: »
    @energisedcamel hey there, hope im not too late with my response :)

you don't have to be chaotic evil to romance dorn and different types of evil charnames are viable. being excited about killing is also not necessary and a neutral character that has no problems with a bit of evil should blend in.

dorn's romance is a bit of a push and pull and through the course of it you have an opportunity to direct him a bit (he will never be neutral or good though). so there is not a lot of space for someone weak willed, more like different minded.

that said, evil charname will probably be best. myself i prefer going lawful route if i play evil (which admittedly, i don't, but i make exception for dorn).

Good to know! I think I'll go for someone who is attracted to Dorn because they're weak-willed and scared in BG1, but who slowly realises their power and becomes more self-assured (and evil) throughout the series. Thank you!
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @trinit Quick bug report in Watcher's Keep. One of the GORAPP1 10 interjections breaks the chain in SOA.

It looks like you forgot to change the dialogue file from DORN25J to DORNJ for the less than chapter 8 global. So if you go to Watcher's Keep in SOA with Dorn in your party, the line can't trigger.
    @Ratatoskr thanks for the report! I'll check it out as soon as i can
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Ratatoskr wrote: »
    @trinit Quick bug report in Watcher's Keep. One of the GORAPP1 10 interjections breaks the chain in SOA.

It looks like you forgot to change the dialogue file from DORN25J to DORNJ for the less than chapter 8 global. So if you go to Watcher's Keep in SOA with Dorn in your party, the line can't trigger.

@trinit Is it done in the last version of the mod?
    edited March 2022
    on it...
    @Mordekaie @Ratatoskr

thanks for the bug report i think it should be sorted now. hopefully :)
    The new v3.3 still appears as v3.2 in PI
    @Mordekaie you mean command prompt window when you install the file? that should be corrected now as well
    @trinit It is corrected but there is an extra .tp2 file in the folder.
    @Mordekaie good catch, dont know how i got that one in there. should be fixed now :)
    a quick info for anyone playing or downloading the mod, i removed all watcher's keep interjections. i could make them work either in soa or tob, not both (but one always breaks the other), despite me trying a lot of variations with the code. looking at files with near infinity, something always gets messed up with the code for checking chapter number and i just can't figure it out. i think its because dorn is beamdob npc and references might be a bit diffferent. no idea.

i recommend downloading and reinstalling the mod. :)
  • OlorinielOloriniel Member Posts: 49
    Install failed:
    ERROR: internal label [300] appears 2 times in processed DLG [DORN25J]
    ERROR: postprocessing [DORN25J]: Failure("cannot resolve label")
    Using Language [English]
    Using .\lang\de_de\dialog.tlk and .\lang\de_de\dialogf.tlk
    Installing [Dorn expanded romance by trinit] [v3.3]
    Appending to files ...
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    Stopping installation because of error.
    ERROR Installing [Dorn expanded romance by trinit], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 1 files for [Dorn\Setup-Dorn.tp2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 1 files for [Dorn\Setup-Dorn.tp2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("cannot resolve label")
    Please make a backup of the file: Setup-Dorn.debug and look for support at: trinit
    Automatically Skipping [Dorn expanded romance by trinit] because of error.
    Using Language [English]
    [.\lang\de_de\dialog.tlk] created, 541509 string entries
    [.\lang\de_de\dialogf.tlk] created, 541509 string entries
    NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Dorn expanded romance by trinit
    [C:\Users\healy\Downloads\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    Using Language [English]
    Appending to files ...
    ERROR Installing [Dorn expanded romance by trinit], rolling back to previous state
    Please make a backup of the file: Setup-Dorn.debug and look for support at: trinit
    Using Language [English]
    Oloriniel wrote: »
    Install failed:
    Using Language [English]
    Appending to files ...
    Using Language [English]
    [.\lang\de_de\dialog.tlk] created, 541509 string entries
    [.\lang\de_de\dialogf.tlk] created, 541509 string entries
    [C:\Users\healy\Downloads\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
    Using Language [English]
    Appending to files ...
    Using Language [English]

I'm afraid I dont know how to help you. I tried a fresh install of github link on the newest version of the game and everzthing installed correctly. I also checked for internal label in dialog file but everything seems to be in order.

I would recommend you redownload the mod from OP. When prompted for language in mod installation select english, maybe that's the culprit. Could be a conflict with another mod?
    I know BGEE very well and just started BG2EE few times. I am looking for mods that expand or give flavor to the original story without changing the whole plot.

From the readme i know that it may change some talk orders, expand others, adds Bodhi abduction... As long as Dorn is free of Patron.

Does it change too much the game or give flavor to Dorn ? The new feature "Bodhi Abduction" seems to be a good add-on giving more options to the player.

Would you recommand this mod to me considering my situation ?
    @Mordekaie

I think would recommend it yeah. The changes are not drastic at all, and it doesn't tamper with any major events in the game or add or substract from them. The sole focus was bringing Dorn to the standard of the other romanceable characters in the game. Hope you will like the mod in case you decide to play :)
    edited July 2022
    What do you mean by Dorn free of Patron ?

Are there PIDs (Player-Initiated Dialogs) in Dorn Romance mod ?
    Post edited by Mordekaie on
    @Mordekaie

-if you plan on Dorn keeping the patron, romance won't make much sense as dialogues are written as if he is free. If he has no patron he is able to pursue CHARNAME more freely and perhaps not excluseively because of power (that's the reasoning behind this expansion)
    - there are no PIDs in this romance mod unfortunately
    trinit wrote: »
    @Mordekaie

-if you plan on Dorn keeping the patron, romance won't make much sense as dialogues are written as if he is free. If he has no patron he is able to pursue CHARNAME more freely and perhaps not excluseively because of power (that's the reasoning behind this expansion)
    - there are no PIDs in this romance mod unfortunately

PIDs may cause problems (when two mods adress the same NPC with a PID it may end to a loop or one takes the lead...if i understand well)
    edited July 2022
    @Mordekaie

- well then you should be safe with PIDs if you install this mod.

- I now see you asked what it means Dorn free of patron. This is a bit of a spoiler territory if you haven't played the game game through with Dorn. Click on spoiler at your own risk :)
    Basically in his personal quest he has a choice of keeping his demon patron that grants him powers, switch to new one or reject both and be free of them. I recommend you reject both for this mod to make the most sense. This is for BG2EE game.
    Is going with the free path, weaken Dorn (as he will probably lose powers) ?
    It will weaken him yes. In original game there wasn't almost any kind of role playing reward for having free and weaker Dorn.

Expanded romance aims to be that role playing reward for having to put up with him being less powerful. Even the epilogue is less... tragic.
    Thanks for your patience
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @trinit
    Should this mod still be installed before ALL other mods which affect Dorn for BGII?