Skip to content

Any preference on which Flail of the Ages +4?

So you can upgrade the +3 with two different heads. Obviously using both gives the +5 but introduces the movement issues. Is one of the heads less likely to be saved against or similar ?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The Flail just does damage. Plus that chance of slow. No saves, no magic resistance. The only things that matter are elemental immunities, which can block that element's damage. Or free action, which can block the slow effect.

In older versions of the game, poison immunity blocked all of the on-hit effects for the versions of the flail that had poison heads. This was fixed in 2.6, so now there's no reason to avoid that head. Always use the first ToB head you pick up.

As for myself, I make the +5 version once I reach that point. Doubling all of the elemental damage is a really good perk, and I don't mind the haste immunity.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Agreed with jmerry on all points.

Haste immunity is often very overrated.. by the time you get so far into the saga the only thing haste gives you that matters is an additional attack. I'm not sure hitting 3 times in a round with the fully upgraded FoA is any worse than hitting 4 times with the +4 version.. It might actually be the other way around.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    But doesn't improved haste double your attacks per round?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    By the time it matters you also have whirlwind attack available if you really must hit multiple times, although I do see people use critical strike more often
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    And if you really want that improved haste, you can switch to a different weapon and cast it, then switch back to get the benefit of double APR with the FoA +5. Inconvenient, but it works. Whirlwind/Greater Whirlwind use a haste variant that free action doesn't block, so those one-round bursts are unaffected.

Movement speed is probably the worst inconvenience on an endgame free action weapon - because everyone else in the party is using boots of speed by then, but the free action character can't. You can cast a haste spell and then equip the free action weapon to get the benefit of both, but no order of equipping will let you have the benefit of both boots of speed and a free action item.
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
    Thanks for the input. I know fire is one of the most protected against, hence was wondering if elec or poison were more commonly protected against if you only did one extra head. Might go with +5 again but remember finding it a bit annoying waiting for that one character to catch up when the rest were all wearing boots of speed