Skip to content

[MOD] PS:T Unfinished Business - Reloaded

167891012»

Comments

• masonitermasoniter Member Posts: 1
    argent77 wrote: »
    Call for English proofreaders!

I'm planning to release a new version of PST-UB which, among other things, adds two new components worth of content. For that reason I'm looking for volunteers who are willing to proofread the additions.

The new content includes about 60 lines of game text and two paragraphs of text for the readme.

Please let me know if you're interested, either here in this topic or shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance!

I can probably proofread some content. I am a native english speaker. I just started a new playthrough, but I have not played the game all the way through in over a decade--so I am not as familiar with the world and story currently.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    masoniter wrote: »
    I can probably proofread some content. I am a native english speaker. I just started a new playthrough, but I have not played the game all the way through in over a decade--so I am not as familiar with the world and story currently.
    Thanks for the offer, but I have already found someone to proofread the text.

I'm currently in the final preparations for the release, which should be available in the next couple of hours. If you're still in the early stages of the game then I'd suggest to give this mod (version) a try.
    New release: PS:T Unfinished Business - Reloaded v2.0

This release introduces two new components:

1. Restored Spell Keys (PST:EE only)
    This component restores a set of items which are labeled as "spell keys". They are meant to prevent spells cast by The Nameless One to fail in the Outer Planes or other specially shielded places. For that reason the component will also add spell failure effects to a number of locations, which can only be prevented by finding the aforementioned spell keys.

Several spell keys exist as unused resources in the game. More items have been restored from incomplete resources. Acquisition and functionality of the spell keys has been entirely coded from scratch. According to existing content in the original game it was possibly intended to affect only spells that were opposite to or in alignment with the nature of the planes The Nameless One visited. For example, in Baator "evil" spells such as Horror or Pain Mirror would be more effective while "good" spells like Elysium's Tears would be less effective or wouldn't work at all without the right spell key. However, for technical reasons I have implement a more general effect for all spells cast by The Nameless One.

2. Miscellaneous Restorations and Improvements
    This component installs various minor restorations and improvements which are either too small to warrant their own components, or aren't strictly based on cut content. Currently the following additions are installed:
    • A cutscene that properly takes care of the companions when The Nameless One reaches the end of his journey.

Italian, Polish and Simplified Chinese translations have not yet been updated. They will be added when available.

Full Changelog:
    • Added new component: Restored Spell Keys
    • Added new component: Miscellaneous Restorations and Improvements
    • Added Brazilian Portuguese readme (thanks @Felipefpl )
    • Added component labels for Project Infinity
  • bzmbzm Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2022

Italian, Polish and Simplified Chinese translations have not yet been updated. They will be added when available.

Maybe a stupid question, but ... The translations will only concern readme, or some elements in the game? ;)

Thanks.

Edit:
    Ok, nevermind :D.
    The new content includes about 60 lines of game text and two paragraphs of text for the readme.
    Yes, this includes lines for the new mod component "Restored Spell Keys" as well as the (Polish) readme. Everything else is up to date.
    edited December 2022
    New release: PS:T Unfinished Business - Reloaded v2.1

Changelog:
    • Updated Polish translation (thanks @memory )
  • SoulReaverSoulReaver Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2023
    2. Miscellaneous Restorations and Improvements
    This component installs various minor restorations and improvements which are either too small to warrant their own components, or aren't strictly based on cut content. Currently the following additions are installed:
    • A cutscene that properly takes care of the companions when The Nameless One reaches the end of his journey.

I have to say I'm very very curious about that 'Miscellaneous Restoration and Improvement'.

I'm pretty keen to keep the original 'feel' of the game and I loved the pacing of the original ending, but if the addition is done and paced well I'd also be dying to see it.
    But PS:T isn't a short game so it would a considerable investment of time just to see whether I like this addition or not.

Can you elaborate (in spoiler text of course) what exactly this addition adds/does?
    SoulReaver wrote: »
    I have to say I'm very very curious about that 'Miscellaneous Restoration and Improvement'.

I'm pretty keen to keep the original 'feel' of the game and I loved the pacing of the original ending, but if the addition is done and paced well I'd also be dying to see it.
    But PS:T isn't a short game so it would a considerable investment of time just to see whether I like this addition or not.

Can you elaborate (in spoiler text of course) what exactly this addition adds/does?

Certainly.
    If TNO chooses to merge with TTO, he is able to resurrect his companions and talk to them one last time. Afterwards, the end game cinematic about TNO's fate is shown, and that's it. His companions and their fate are not mention anymore. That has always bugged me somewhat, since I doubt they could find their way from the Fortress back to Sigil on their own.

The new component tries to resolve the situation in a short cutscene that takes place right before the ending cinematics. It's mostly a cosmetic addition, but it makes a difference (at least to me).
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    If TNO chooses to merge with TTO, he is able to resurrect his companions and talk to them one last time. Afterwards, the end game cinematic about TNO's fate is shown, and that's it. His companions and their fate are not mention anymore. That has always bugged me somewhat, since I doubt they could find their way from the Fortress back to Sigil on their own.

The new component tries to resolve the situation in a short cutscene that takes place right before the ending cinematics. It's mostly a cosmetic addition, but it makes a difference (at least to me).
    If I remember correctly, TNO offers to return his companions to Sigil during their conversation, so the implication is that (with the exception of some who wish to go elsewhere, like Ignus to the Plane of FIre) TNO sends them on their way before he is taken to his final judgement.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, TNO offers to return his companions to Sigil during their conversation, so the implication is that (with the exception of some who wish to go elsewhere, like Ignus to the Plane of FIre) TNO sends them on their way before he is taken to his final judgement.

Yes, it's hinted at in the final conversation with TNO's companions. But it's not shown in the game, which makes the ending seem somewhat incomplete, imo. This component takes care of it in a short cutscene.
    edited February 2023
    Zaxares wrote: »

Yes, it's hinted at in the final conversation with TNO's companions. But it's not shown in the game, which makes the ending seem somewhat incomplete, imo. This component takes care of it in a short cutscene.

It's really niiiice:

Although, hmm, isn't there an option to insert a portal animation, and then disappear?
    Too short period of time? Worse look? ;)

Post edited by bzm on
    bzm wrote: »
    It's really niiiice:
    Although, hmm, isn't there an option to insert a portal animation, and then disappear?
    Too short period of time? Worse look? ;)
    The current visual effect is used in several instances across the game for characters to teleport away. But I agree that it's quite short. I'll check how it looks like with the blue portal animation. But it may complicate things, since I have to code it in a NPC-agnostic way.
    edited February 2023
    The current visual effect is used in several instances across the game for characters to teleport away. But I agree that it's quite short. I'll check how it looks like with the blue portal animation. But it may complicate things, since I have to code it in a NPC-agnostic way.

Ah, interesting.
    Ok - NPC is complicated. But, what about time limit, In theory you can extend this cut-scene (with or without problems), or maybe this time limit is somehow hard-coded?

Ah, interesting.
    Ok - NPC is complicated. But, what about time limit, In theory you can extend this cut-scene (with or without problems), or maybe this time limit is somehow hard-coded?

About the cutscene animation...
    I've tested the cutscene with the blue portal animation that is used, for instance, by Lothar to make his appearance. It doesn't look worse than the current animation, so I might use one that instead.

Party composition will also not be an issue in that case. I had originally thought of a more involved solution in my previous comment. I might also throw in a fade-out action to prolong the cutscene a little bit.
    edited February 2023

About the cutscene animation...

Nice & yes, I think it would look great :+1:.
  • Vandervecken_SmithVandervecken_Smith Member Posts: 3
    SHS Forums have been down for several months - you can find a copy of "Generalized Biffing" here:
    https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/generalized_biffing
  • tharsetharse Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I've installed this and a couple other mods -- Bags of Torment, and Planar Items. While the latter seems to work, I've noticed no changes from this one, i.e. no changes to Morte's dialog in the intro, or any changes to the bar music in the evening. Is this mod incompatible with one of them?

Thanks.
    tharse wrote: »
    Hello, I've installed this and a couple other mods -- Bags of Torment, and Planar Items. While the latter seems to work, I've noticed no changes from this one, i.e. no changes to Morte's dialog in the intro, or any changes to the bar music in the evening. Is this mod incompatible with one of them?

Thanks.

PST-UB should be compatible with all available mods for PsT. Some components make only subtle changes though, which may not be immediately noticeable. As a general recommendation, you should always start a new game after installing mods. Otherwise, some changes won't apply because they are overridden by your saved game.

If you installed the "All Recommended components" option then only the "light" version of Morte's dialog expansion is installed. That version doesn't include extra content for his introduction dialog. Morte should have a comment about Dhall's book though.

The updated night soundtrack for the Smoldering Corpse Bar is installed by the "Restored Party Comments and Banters" components, which is also included in the "All Recommended components" option of the mod. However, if you installed it in the middle of a game, after you already visited the bar, then you won't notice any changes since the (original) bar map included in the save overrides any changes.
    edited August 2023
    What does UB change in UI.menu?

I am asking in the context of installing UB before installing a mod with an heavly edited UI.
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to auto patch UI.menu with weidu ;/ - so I'm left with the correct order of mods installation...

But i'm curious - is it ok to install UB before a mod that doesn't patch UI.menu? If not, what will break/missing? ;)
    Post edited by bzm on
    What does UB change in UI.menu?

I am asking in the context of installing UB before installing a mod with an heavly edited UI.
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to auto patch UI.menu with weidu ;/ - so I'm left with the correct order of mods installation...

Currently, I install UB as the third mod(3), after the mod for portraits(1) and mine for skins(2). Because it is safe = your mod patching UI.menu.

But i'm curious - is it ok to install UB before a mod that doesn't patch UI.menu? If not, what will break? ;)

PST-UB expands a lua function that allows to update Bestiary images based on variables. It doesn't make any changes to the UI layout directly.
    Got it. That's what I wanted to know.
  • stibiusstibius Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2023
    stibius wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add journal entries for the new quests?
    I might do that later, when the mod is stable enough. My first goal is to make the mod fully compatible with PST:EE and fix remaining bugs caused by the differences between PST and PST:EE.

Any chance this will get done?

New release: PS:T Unfinished Business - Reloaded v2.2

Changelog:
    • Component "Restored Item Cheats" reactivates the debug console in original PST (by Bubb)
    • Added Mebbeth's store providing an option to raise dead party members to component "Miscellaneous Restorations and Improvements"
    • Improved cutscene in "Miscellaneous Restorations and Improvements"
    • Added workarounds for buggy game timers in PST:EE
    • Fixed character encoding of Chinese setup lines
    • Fixed typos in the readme
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    Wouldnt these be something to be added to this project? It's cut content after all:

https://sorcerers.net/community/resources/arcana-obscura.108/

The reason why i request this is because it's not fun having to grab a lot of different mods to restore content like we unfortunately have to do with Baldur's Gate 2.
    Aside what i mentioned above there are some stuff here i didnt see in any restoration mod:

https://tcrf.net/Planescape:_Torment
    These are interesting reads. I don't know if all of it can be realized by mods, especially spell effects are still mostly hardcoded in PSTEE and may be buggy or incomplete.

I currently don't have the time to look into it myself. But PST-UB was originally created as a community project. Contributions are always welcome if someone wants to make an attempt.
    edited October 2023
    I see, i hope someone someday will come and contribute to UB Reloaded. It would be bad if we had to download A LOT of separate mods to restore content like it happens with Baldur's Gate 2.