Skip to content

[mod] The Journey to the Whin Hill

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
edited December 2022 in BGII:EE Mods
The Journey to the Whin Hill is an IWD-style adventure for BG2EE, in which you are sent to find a man in a new area known as the Whin Hill. However beware, as the place is known to be a home for wyverns, but... that's not the only threat you will find there. Also... why would anyone live in such a place? Find out, by visiting this new area and following the path under the hill.

There is also a bonus component: the mod includes a secret optional companion you may add to your game: Afu-Zuuvi, a chaotic neutral cleric/thief. He has less content than fully-fledged companions, but still includes a few short talks with the PC, 1 banter talk with each BioWare / Beamdog NPC in SoA and 1 in ToB. He also includes some interjections, a personal kit, soundset and a couple of items. You may also install basic player-initiated dialogues (an optional component).

This release is a part of Winter Releases 2022 organized by Weasel Mods!

Download
Forums
Winter Releases 2022 thread

Special thanks to @Dalmir_The_Dark for all his work on this mod!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on

Comments

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Another mod by Lava, awesome 🥳 thanks and congrats on the release!
  • megrimlockmegrimlock Member Posts: 40
    You are a machine! Keen to try this.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What do you mean by "IWD-style?"
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 153
    edited December 2022
    A new quest AND a new NPC - thank you for your constant contributions that keep the game alive and entertaining with every new playthrough!
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    edited December 2022
    @Ludwig_II @megrimlock @Acifer -- thanks! The mod isn't big, but naming it "a trip to (...)" would sound strange, hah! Anyway, it should be a nice little distraction from city quests.

@Endarire -- it's a nice way of saying there are more enemies and less dialogue and you will need to get through those enemies to reach something / someone you need to find. So like most IWD areas. So take your weapons, as you'll need to fight some creatures on the way.

The mod may actually remind my IWD quest mods: so they are smaller than let's say Athkatlan Grounds or CoI mods, simpler, and has more enemies.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    Awesome. Thank you for yet another mod Lava

The IWD style will suit Minsc… More swords and all.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    Yay! B)
    Perfect timing too -- I'm just about to start the SoA + ToB stages of my current run.
    For the sake of immersion of the German community, I changed the name to The Journey to the Whin Hill, as I was messaged that the name may sound upsetting and immersion-breaking in their language. There are no other changes in the package.
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 51
    edited December 2022
    Ahhh shucks. I kind of liked the original name. But now that I looked up what it means in German I can see how it might get a few chuckles.
    What was the original name for this mod and why was it so funny in German?
    I just played through this quest and thought it was great fun. I liked the "twist" at the end! And the new items all seem both colourful and well-balanced.

Thanks again LavaDeVortel! I don't think I'd still be playing this game without your excellent mods. Much appreciated. :)
    edited December 2022
    Thank you, @Thrasymachus! It's not a big thing! Once you're in the last area
    you will also see a statue -- you may use stone to flesh scroll to bring Afu back to life and join him if you need a cleric
    Furthermore, you may also want to visit that room later
    after Underdark to see 2-3 new items, IIRC. And if you took the good path, the quest-giver will be there, in the cave. It does not get you any more rewards, but hey, you can see how they are hanging, heh.

Anyway, I'm glad you had some fun. As I said, it's just a small quest, but some may like that little journey and the people you meet along the way :)
    Great -- I look forward to returning to Whin Hill later! B)
  • shaelmagisshaelmagis Member Posts: 10
    Hello 👋
    Er, a human is lost here: how do I get to the Whin Hill location? I've found NPC in Government District, but I can't find Whin Hill on the world map (I'm using worldmap mod).
    This mod is pretty new and I doubt it can "recognize" this mod properly, there is a chance the addition got overwritten by Worldmap mod? That's my guess, I never needed to use Worldmap myself.

You may still use the console to jump there:
    C:MoveToArea("L#AF01")
    This mod is pretty new and I doubt it can "recognize" this mod properly, there is a chance the addition got overwritten by Worldmap mod? That's my guess, I never needed to use Worldmap myself.

You may still use the console to jump there:
    C:MoveToArea("L#AF01")

Ah, okay, thank you for the quick reply :)
    And I'll say it again: your mods are awesome)
    You're welcome and thank you!
    edited March 2023
    l2gzyq1kptpg.png
    You're welcome and thank you!

Upd: I've found location on the map XD
    On the huge map - Whin Hill near Icewind Dale. North part of the map. Traveling hours - 24 hours. Sorry for my English - it's not my native.
    I presume it's because my mod uses coordinates for a classic map, not Worldmap so the area appears on a really off place. It will be improved with time.
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    I killed the dragon, but I cannot speak to Moandrehn after I do that

Savegame: https://easyupload.io/ej8p16
    edited June 2023
    I see the bug. Thanks! Sadly, I'm afraid that is not something I could fix for your locally, not easily. However, you may try:

1. opening L#AFSTA with Near Infinity, and swap to "edit" tab
    2. find a state entry that says "OR(2) Global("L#AFMainQuest","GLOBAL",1) Global("L#AFMainQuest","GLOBAL",2) !Dead("L#AFDRA")"
    3. change it to "OR(2) Global("L#AFMainQuest","GLOBAL",1) Global("L#AFMainQuest","GLOBAL",2)"

I think that may fix it for you locally.

The new version is up.
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    You are welcome. I will add that:
    1) the guy has no reaction if you kill the dragon, after you've sent him to the dragon;
    2) It's odd that the dragon has a shop, but it doesn't drop any of these items on himself. An evil player would revel on this kind of stuff; and the fixed amount of 5k gold is odd, considering that you can buy his stuff...
    1) the guy has no reaction if you kill the dragon, after you've sent him to the dragon;
    Because that's not an option, you have it only because you would need to modify the dialogue option condition and I thought it's pointless in this situation. In the version I uploaded you cannot send him there if the dragon is dead.
    2) It's odd that the dragon has a shop, but it doesn't drop any of these items on himself. An evil player would revel on this kind of stuff; and the fixed amount of 5k gold is odd, considering that you can buy his stuff...
    Neither Ribald drops all his items when you kill him or any other shop keeper :P Drow merchants in Ust Natha don't drop their items when you kill them, too. I think only Limha does that and I bet she wouldn't drop something you sold her (it's most likely fixed drop, too, or some IWD2 thing). The shop items are not stored in the .cre file, shop files are something separate, dialogue simply opens a specific store with a command, but none of these creatures/keepers actually has these items, that's how the engine works. Plus, it would be extremely OP if such merchants dropped all their wares like that.

Imagine the dragon can store it in its own pocket dimension and keeps just some of his gold around.
    Recently, I was thinking...
    I'd like a kobold recruitable companion in the Baldur's Gate series

and you provided. Thankee! Alleluia!
  • LawfulStupidLawfulStupid Member Posts: 38
    Good Day Lava. What is the trigger for this mod? I read that it is someone found outside of the temple of Waukeen in the Gov't district? Is that true? I have found no such person. Am I looking in the right place? If so, could you perhaps share the creature code to spawn him/her? I attempted to console jump to the location without speaking to anyone and I got a "no such area exists" error. Do I need to initiate the quest before Whin Hill becomes available? Thank you for your help.
    I'm pretty sure you haven't installed the mod. You would be able to move to the area with a console no matter what. If no such area exists, it means the files are missing.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 178
    > What is the trigger for this mod? I read that it is someone found outside of the temple of Waukeen in the Gov't district? Is
    > that true? I have found no such person

The NPC will show up on the top left or top part when you enter the government district (from the north).

If the NPC is not there, either the mod is not installed, or perhaps some other mod caused issues, but as
    Lava wrote this is more likely to be explained if the mod has not been installed. When I install it - and I often
    have TONS of issues - the NPCs is also there to start the quest.

The statue idea with the NPC is pretty cool. I did not keep that companion in the team because it seemed to
    weak, so perhaps it could get one more semi-useful unique ability, but the idea is pretty nice. Some of the
    items are also must-buy items. I always have an itch to kill the dragon though ...