Skip to content

the chest with a magic lock at the shadow guild

i was wondering what's the deal with this chest
maoqegur7tqb.jpg

this is shadow guild. i completed the mae var quest and looted everything here. then i joined bodhi and this area was renewed - the fog of war returned and everything had loot again. but this specific chest became unavailable. it was looted before i joined bodhi, after the reset there is a magic lock. i think it worked like that in original game too. but i was wondering is there any way to open this chest? what's inside?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Lock difficulty 100. It cannot be picked or bashed, no matter what you do.

It does, however, have a key. The Shadow Thief Cellar Key opens it.

What's inside? One piece of random treasure.
  • gladosglados Member Posts: 30
    thanks you! that key worked!
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Does the Knock spell work?
    edited May 2023
    No, it doesn't. To quote the IESDP on the "knock" effect:
    Important: It is automatically successful but only works on locks that can normally be picked with the Open Locks skill.

This lock, with its difficulty of exactly 100, cannot be picked regardless of skill. And that means Knock doesn't work either.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Ugh. Bioware's version of Knock lets you down like that. I'm playing a lot of the NWNEE OC campaigns at the moment and am surprised at how many locks the spell doesn't open...
    i came to conclusion that you need a thief in these games. the spell/brutforce can only do so much.
    it's interesting though that that chest had lockpicking 100, my thief surpassed it but obviously couldn't do anything without having a key. i think in these games if you need a specific key, you can't lock pick no matter what, even if your skill is 1000
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Not being able to prematurely open story or quest related doors and chests in a PC game before you're supposed to isn't really a let down. Imagine the amount of quests a clueless player could accidentally and unwillingly break not knowing any better if knock just worked on everything.
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    glados wrote: »
    i came to conclusion that you need a thief in these games. the spell/brutforce can only do so much.
    it's interesting though that that chest had lockpicking 100, my thief surpassed it but obviously couldn't do anything without having a key. i think in these games if you need a specific key, you can't lock pick no matter what, even if your skill is 1000

You don't necessarily need a thief but I'd agree that having one capable of opening all locks and disarming all traps is a huge quality of life boost.

As for locks with 100 difficulty that is correct. They are generally things that the devs didn't want players accessing before knowing about them or being on the correct quest step etc. Having said that the chest in question in this thread seems to have 100 difficulty as a plain old mistake more than anything.
    A difficulty of exactly 100 is used by the game as a marker for "this can only be opened by act of plot". Script actions and keys work against it, Knock and lockpicking don't.
    A lock with a difficulty of over 100 can be opened by sufficiently high Open Locks scores. These are exceedingly rare, though not entirely absent - there's one in the Saradush prison.

Similarly, a trap with a disarm difficulty of exactly 100 can't be disarmed by the thief skill. Most such traps aren't flagged to be detectable, but there is that one crushing wall trap in Spellhold ... which goes off on the thief if you try to disarm it. Rude.
    Lammas wrote: »
    Not being able to prematurely open story or quest related doors and chests in a PC game before you're supposed to isn't really a let down. Imagine the amount of quests a clueless player could accidentally and unwillingly break not knowing any better if knock just worked on everything.

that's bg1 in a nutshell, i remember my first run when i sold some quest items, used tome needed to save a kid from shark temple, etc)
    jmerry wrote: »
    A difficulty of exactly 100 is used by the game as a marker for "this can only be opened by act of plot". Script actions and keys work against it, Knock and lockpicking don't.
    A lock with a difficulty of over 100 can be opened by sufficiently high Open Locks scores. These are exceedingly rare, though not entirely absent - there's one in the Saradush prison.

Similarly, a trap with a disarm difficulty of exactly 100 can't be disarmed by the thief skill. Most such traps aren't flagged to be detectable, but there is that one crushing wall trap in Spellhold ... which goes off on the thief if you try to disarm it. Rude.

oh i see. interesting thanks you!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    i remember my first run when i sold some quest items, used tome needed to save a kid from shark temple
    Ah, good old times! :D
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    I think Olvyn's Epic Thievery mod may make this openable with thievery, though I'm not sure