Skip to content

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™

DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
edited June 2012 in Archived News
Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

imageSince its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur's Gate developers.

Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition visit www.baldursgate.com, for press inquiries contact baldursgate@beamdog.com.
Post edited by PhillipDaigle on

Comments

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Huzza!

Now. Lets see some new dev blogs or a sample of the new music. =]
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    These news have been a source of joy for the last couple of months. I can't wait to play this.
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    I can't wait to see the first images of BG EE! :)
  • ArcitcArcitc Member Posts: 4
    Can't wait either, though a release date would be awesome. Since it says summer I can't wait for summer over!! lol
  • ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    Oh yeah, I'm fighting the urge to install and play the whole original Baldur's Gate stories again because I want to enjoy the Enhanced Edition.

• maverickmaverick Member Posts: 27
    Well I can't wait to play this game ^^. I was just astonished when I heard that "GREAT NEWS" and the first thing I wanted to know was "when, when, whennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn????"
    Then I read summer 2012, ouf, but now is summer, can't wait :D
    Anyway wonderful idea to make an enhanced edition.
  • leRenardruseleRenardruse Member Posts: 18
    Just, thank you.
  • looterlooter Member Posts: 12
    I've never wanted summer to be over so much!
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    Great to see the number of bugs fixed is now increasing in the forum's list! Looks like things are clearly starting to move forward... :)
  • Bluestiger99Bluestiger99 Member Posts: 1
    So I've been looking and haven't found it, and I'm assuming there has been no hard date set, but any insight on a release date for this bad boy? I mean I know they said summer of this year, but I would to know when the day is
  • SvendrynSvendryn Member Posts: 10
    I've read on some other game site (I can't remember where) that the release date for BG1 has been confined to September of 2012. Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that it has been pushed back, but I would rather the enhanced version be spectacular than just a re-release. So I hope everyone takes this news well. I am fairly certain about this information but don't hold me to it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Summer actually ends in the latter half of September.
  • xcynicxcynic Member Posts: 4
    What you guys are doing is awesome! Baldur's Gate is my all-time favorite. I've finished it about 10 times and still come back to it every time and again. Greetings from Poland!
  • RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
    I am beyond excited for this! I have been an avid fan of the original game since I was a kid, having repeatedly seen both my father and older brothers play it. When I was old enough to understand the intricacies of its design and story, I too took up the banner and followed in their wake. The legacy of such a powerful game remains still within my heart, and this project shall once more ignite that sleeping passion for adventure that I knew years ago!
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    I really can't wait to play this classic again. The multiplayer never quite worked for this game, back in the day, so I'm extremely eager to to play the new polished up version in co-op mode. What a great idea this is to bring such an epic game back!
  • grahamgraham Member Posts: 1
    i agree, better late than never, nobody likes a bug riddled pre-patch experience
  • DomnDomn Member Posts: 11
    Great!!!
  • edvrtsedvrts Member Posts: 1
    I have sadly never played Buldur's Gate, but, I have played and am a big fan of Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale and Fallout series and I've always wanted to try the gate, so now there is no chance in hell I'll weasel out of this gem. (Infinity engine games are too complex for me, yet I'm still drawn to them)
  • greedogreedo Member Posts: 3
    This is awesome news! I am so pleased you guys are doing this, so many fond memories! I got myself and 2 buddies on standby 'champing at the bit' to replay this story in all its glory. We played it together back in '98 and progressed on to MMRPGs like LOTRO and WOW; but we all missed the polished story line and isometric GFXs of Baldurs- pretty much bored of the MMRPG 'Grinding'- so really pleased to see this game is due an updated re- release.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I had hung up my gaming spurs years ago, but this will definitely get me back into the saddle. As one poster on this forum has said, the BG series is very much like an interactive e-book. That's an excellent analogy. It's as immersive as a novel, really. Moreso in many ways.

I had a go at some other RPGs, but they were always pale imitations to me. Nothing came even close.

The BG series mod community deserves a big nod of recognition, I think. They kept the flame going. The Tutu platform and work by such folks as David Wallace were fantastic. Team BG, Weimer, Pocket Plane, Gibberlings 3, Spellhold, et al, all did great stuff. Even many of the cheesier mods still often have an awkward kind of charm. I trust that the customizability of modding won't be lost in BGEE.

Anyway, so happy to see this game retooled by old hands--and with new content! Here's hoping that sales do Beamdog proud so that we can all see the creation of BG III. *Thank you!*
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Pure awesome. BG:enhanced is going to set a new standard for RPGs (particularly on iPad). Hopefully it will open the door to every other infinity engine game to get the same treatment.
  • Data259Data259 Member Posts: 1
    I was literally thinking just a couple weeks ago how I would like to see BG 2 redone with updated graphics. The artwork in the original is probably my all time favorite. This makes me so happy!
  • tlightseytlightsey Member Posts: 1
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
This discussion has been closed.