Skip to content

BG1 MONSTERS - What made a meal of you most? PART 2

KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
PART 1 -
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6390/bg1-monsters-what-made-a-meal-of-you-most-part-1/p1

I don't know about any of you, but I reckon I must have died a bazillion times playing BG over the years thanks to some fiendish monsters I happened to encounter. Mainly because my party was under geared or unprepared, or I was a noob. The general excuses.
I think what tended to kill me most early on was either being torn to shreds by sword spiders and running out of anti poisons or trying my luck collecting Ankegs heads and getting swarmed by them...

How about you?
p.s. Feel free to share the tales of misery these creatures brought to you and your companions!

Coming soon...
PART 3?
DEADLIEST NPC's?
DASTARDLY TRAPS?
  1. BG1 MONSTERS- What ruined your day most? PART 2129 votes
    1. Battle Horror
      15.50%
    2. Gnoll Veteran
        0.78%
    3. Ghast
      17.83%
    4. Doppleganger
        6.98%
    5. Ogre Beserker
        0.78%
    6. Siren
      39.53%
    7. Revenant
        3.88%
    8. Helmed Horror
        6.20%
    9. Flesh Golem
        5.43%
    10. Half-Ogre
        3.10%
Post edited by Kulm on

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Specially because they attack you early in the game!
  • KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
    DJKajuru said:

Specially because they attack you early in the game!

Yea and early on they can be tough bastards. >:E
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Diseased Gibberling isn't one of the options?
    edited November 2012
    @Philhelm, these were originally just critters I personally had trouble with at times. Maybe I need to do a part 3?
    and conclude with a Grand Finale of "#1 Baddest BG1 Beastie" :P voted from the top contenders of each part?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I think this is largely my choice just because they are a chore to take out. Worth it in terms of XP, but an absolute chore.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

I think this is largely my choice just because they are a chore to take out. Worth it in terms of XP, but an absolute chore.

Sirens were the BG1 mind flayers.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I always get held and killed by ghasts :(

Sirens are easy to interrupt with ranged or disable with AoE silence spells which ignore invisibility, ghasts are just nasty all the time.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Siren. Bitch be trippin' balls.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Siren. The first time I came across then in BG1 they (with helped from some of my own charmed party members) shredded my entire party. I still have trouble with them now, though am getting better
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mungri said:

I always get held and killed by ghasts!

Ghasts are nasty, with hold and disease, but are slow, so can often be taken out wit missile weapons b4 melee
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    sirens charming your party was irritating, i always had that "retreeeeat!" panic when i saw them
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Battle Horrors are tough.
    But definitely there should be Bassilisk on the list. I hate them!
    I also hate one of the slimes (don't remember which one) immune to almost everything and duplicationg :P
    Sword spiders can be tough too.
    And basicly anything what poisons you (In BG1 poison was really deadly. They shouldn't nerf it in BG2)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited November 2012
    Dopplegangers - stop backhanding me! The slaps! They burn!

Sirens are piss easy, just buff up someone with protection from charm (or berserk them) and launch them into the fray, snipe with the rest of your party.

Edit: In the vanilla game I don't remember dopplegangers being too tough, but I normally play Tutu with SCS and tougher dopplegangers, when they're hasted, buffed and mirror imaged them backhands start to rack up.
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    'But definitely there should be Bassilisk on the list. I hate them' yep they were hard to beat , then stated to use wand of monster summoning and let the Bassilisk mash them up whilst I used offensive spells against it ....ah the good old days
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    Ettercaps/spiders/wyverns by far but I voted Sirens since those weren't on the list.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Voted Siren.
    However I would say that first Wolf & Ettercaps have killed me more.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    edited November 2012
    I would agree with basilisks or kobold commandos, the cheating little buggers who have special cheating arrows. It's so bad, I wrote a mod component to deal with the cheatery.

Edit: though I'm afraid to say, the previous component makes battle and helmed horrors even harder, i.e. truer to what they should be in PnP. :o
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Sirens are irritating as even the best planning is sometimes no enough to get them on the first attempt.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Now I remember why I couldn't beat BG when I first played it!!! The dopplegangers in chpt.5 or chpt.6. For the sake of try to not include spoilers it was in that house where a whole bunch of them suddenly appear. Pesky buggers, they annihilated me every time.
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2012
    Nothing is more ignominious than being killed by the game's weakest enemy.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    turn undead....turn undead!...TURN UNDEAD!!! ahhh crap...
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I don't know why so many people saw sirens as hard... Let me guess... They don't use vanilla?
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Bassilisk, that was always tought without, spell or poition of protection from stoned.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Basilisks are in part 1.
    awin123 said:

Ettercaps/spiders/wyverns by far but I voted Sirens since those weren't on the list.

All of which in part 1! :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @Miloch
    How exactly do Kobold Commandos cheat? I know they seem to be able to hit any AC with a fair amount of ease. I'm interested to know the full depths of their cheating though so when they kill off a party member I can be justified in complaining.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @decado

They have 20 arowkc.itm equipped (undroppable cheated uber KC arrows of fire) and 2 arow08.itm (mere mortal arrows of fire). Their cheating arrows (arowkc) do 1d6+2 hit/damage *plus* an additional 1d6 fire damage. And they can't drop them, and they've got 20 of them, practically an inexhaustable supply. That's why they kill you. Regular arrows of fire (arow08), as lethal as they can be, do not have that +2 hit/damage bonus. You invariably find 2 (and only 2) of them on the commandos because they don't ever use them - they use their cheating variety.

As DavidW suggested once, I'm all for tough kobolds, but not ridiculously so, hence why I made that mod component above.
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    Greater Doppelganger, especially when they come in group. Maybe skeleton warrior