Skip to content

New BGEE Manual

You know what would be AWESOME!?? If they could release the new BGEE manual BEFORE the release date! It would be great for someone like me who is anticipating their first real playthrough, (although I did play around with the original 12 years ago but didn't make it very far because it wasn't my game.) I would love to go through it before, then I can just jump right into the game when it comes out.

CONTENT ENHANCEMENTS

New, three-part PDF manual.
BG:EE will come with a brand new manual in PDF format, comprising three different books: —
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate — Manual the First, a guide to the lore of the Sword Coast, its locales, and the most notable people and creatures you may encounter on your way through it;
Volo's Manual for All Things Magical — Manual the Second, a guide to the AD&D rules that govern the game, as well as to the spells and magic items you may find while adventuring;
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition — A User's Guide, by Volo, a comprehensive in-depth guide to the Graphic User Interface and gameplay of BG:EE.
Just like the original Baldur's Gate's manual, these books, too, feature quotes from Volothamp Geddarm and Elminster scattered throughout their pages.

I would love to brush up on the lore before playing. Also, because I'm super-ignorant on D&D rules and stuff like that, the second part of the manual would be handy to read before-hand too!

I think it would be a really nice (and free) treat for all of us pre-orderers to have early access to this manual. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Personally, I think it'll be worth the wait.

But then, I'm biased.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    Any manual is better than the one Bioware made up...it seemed rushed and it shows when it comes to the stats and what they actually do.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    I'd imagine they wouldn't do that, as everything would not be set in stone until release.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    @Renulan Shouldn't the majority of things be set in stone by now? We're only 3 weeks away now, I would think that they are tying up loose ends at this late stage.

@reedmilfam I got this info off of the "[BG:EE] PLEASE READ - LIST OF THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED." thread here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2041/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-have-been-announced/p1 I could be wrong here, but, by the way the description is written, it sounds like the manual may already be done.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Renulan said:

I'd imagine they wouldn't do that, as everything would not be set in stone until release.

At this stage in video game production everything IS set in stone. They are only fixing bugs. That said, I also doubt they will release the manual early.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Yes I imagine they are bug fixing... Are they bug fixing the game or the manual THAT is the question!

(BG Manual was full of bugs... It was if it was used to to destroy an ants nest!)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Kristie83 I agree that the features are set in stone at that point - I almost commented to that effect actually, but didn't.

I'm lucky, in that I have both original manuals (all three, if you count TOB) in my drawer of old game stuff.

As for the manual, I didn't see anything here to imply that the manual was done.

New, three-part PDF manual.
    BG:EE will come with a brand new manual in PDF format, comprising three different books: —
    Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate — Manual the First, a guide to the lore of the Sword Coast, its locales, and the most notable people and creatures you may encounter on your way through it;
    Volo's Manual for All Things Magical — Manual the Second, a guide to the AD&D rules that govern the game, as well as to the spells and magic items you may find while adventuring;
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition — A User's Guide, by Volo, a comprehensive in-depth guide to the Graphic User Interface and gameplay of BG:EE.
    Just like the original Baldur's Gate's manual, these books, too, feature quotes from Volothamp Geddarm and Elminster scattered throughout their pages.
    That said, I'll look deeper in the forum and see what I find. I'm excited to get that manual, of course, but don't know when to expect it.
    edited November 2012
    I just thought it would be nice, (if it is finished,) to have it ahead of time. Also, I thought it would be an easy way for them to perhaps try to "make up" (for lack of a better term,) for the delay for us pre-orderers. Also, its something that wouldn't cost them any extra because we will be getting it eventually. It would be a great way for them to keep everyone excited and give people something to do while they're waiting.

@reedmilfam I just thought that the detailed description of the manual implied that it was finished or at least almost finished. I suppose you're right though in that it doesn't specifically indicate that its done. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the description.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Kristie83 I agree with you - I do think it would be wonderful to have the manuals! I think you read the notes and had a little 'wishful thinking', and who could blame you? My guess is that it is at least a highly polished draft, if not complete, but that the other license holders (Atari/BioWare?) are approving release of the program as a package deal (manual held up by software release).

I repeat, this is a guess.

I do wish I could read and get accustomed to what is different from what I remember, though, to be honest, I'm just as happy to load and run the game, worrying about specifics as I get my tail handed to me by some mage...

Minsc leads with sword and boot. Boo handles the details. In other words, I'll let Boo read the manual for me.
    The manual should be included with the game. I finished it over a month ago, so there's been plenty of time for review.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Aosaw Yeah...I don't know.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    As the manuals cover just 'the basics', I can't imagine that they not near finalization yet. However, that doesn't mean there is a reason to release them early. I'd love to see em, but the extra 10 weeks has given them a chance to make tweaks. Thankfully, digital distribution means any future changes to the books can easily be re-published and released as an updated version to download.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Well, my connection is slow. I'd LOVE to have a manual to pour over while I wait a day for the thing to download.

Don't want to rush anyone to produce a manual for me. Just want to do something other then pace or work all day.
    @bigdogchris Why NOT release them early? It would be a nice perk to the ultra-patient pre-orderers....It wouldn't hurt in any case. Even just a few days before release would be sweet. The day of release, I would like to just jump right into the game.
    edited November 2012
    @Kristie83 - Like I said, "I'd love to see em", but being finalized, itself, is not a reason to release them.

If they are complete, I agree that releasing them early would be a nice treat for those of us who have pre-ordered.

@TrentOster
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I hope the manual (or even just a ReadMe.pdf) will indicate what has changed compared to vanilla BG/BG2 and where it has used BG rules vs. BG2 rules (e.g. for weapon mastery) or something different again. Will the progression, spell and THAC0 tables be different?

I'm also wondering, for example, what they've done with familiars in BGEE - will there be any allowed (and if so, will there be a "Find Familiar" scroll available, or will it have to be selected as a spell from the start (not so good for sorcerers)? If they're in BGEE, will they be like in SOA or (hopefully) scaled down a little in BGEE etc. and, if so, what will be their stats. etc.
    edited November 2012

I hope the manual (or even just a ReadMe.pdf) will indicate what has changed compared to vanilla BG/BG2 and where it has used BG rules vs. BG2 rules (e.g. for weapon mastery) or something different again. Will the progression, spell and THAC0 tables be different?

The forum 'Fixed' has a list of all bugs that were fixed. If you are implying that this wouldn't be as easy to read as a readme, I agree, but don't expect them to document all of that for us, since it's already available for those who are into it. As long as the attribute/profeciency/ spells/etc. tables and descriptions are right in the new manuals, then I'm happy.

I'm also wondering, for example, what they've done with familiars in BGEE - will there be any allowed (and if so, will there be a "Find Familiar" scroll available
    I've asked this before, and I was told that there would be an effort to add spell scrolls/weapons to vendors, that are in BG2 engine but not BG1 content.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    The last real manual I had was for the original fallout, spiral bound with faux leather, complete with post apocalyptic recipes. The original BG manual was nice and hefty as well.

FYI, you can read the original BG manual in PDF, I'm sure it will be based off that one anyway.

The last real manual I had was for the original fallout, spiral bound with faux leather, complete with post apocalyptic recipes. The original BG manual was nice and hefty as well.

FYI, you can read the original BG manual in PDF, I'm sure it will be based off that one anyway.

The last real manual I had, (still have,) is the NWN Diamond Edition, it was spiral bound and it came with a cute little silk-ish map! Those were the days....

I don't own the original BG game/manual although I'm sure I could find it, but the thing is, is that I don't want to get any wrong info in my brain. Once things go into my brain, they never come out...
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Dont know if it was mentioned or possible but all of the concept drawings is what i call a welcome bonus;)
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    A manual pre release would be a nice move indeed and would help alot with character planning. Thumbs up for it!
    @alaundo Thanks for supporting this cause, lol! Wouldn't it be awesome though?
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2012
    *IMPORTANT

Can the Overhaul Team please format the PDF so that the manual can be printed via the booklet option? :) That way we can create our own hardcopy manuals from the PDF.

Thank you!

- Everyone
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    There won't be a changelog for BGEE. It would be simply too much trouble to compile at this point.
    @GoForTheEyesBoo Oh! What a great idea! Never thought of printing it out...It would be great if it were formatted for easy printing.

• GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97

*IMPORTANT

Can the Overhaul Team please format the PDF so that the manual can be printed via the booklet option? :) That way we can create our own hardcopy manuals from the PDF.

Thank you!

- Everyone

Kristie83 said:

@GoForTheEyesBoo Oh! What a great idea! Never thought of printing it out...It would be great if it were formatted for easy printing.

@philipdaigle @trentoster I understand that the manual may now be finished but if not, would it be possible to have it formatted in PDF (or have the option of getting a formatted PDF version) where it could be printed using the print booklet function on Adobe Reader? I know many of us would like to have a hardcopy to refer to as well. Either way, thanks for considering it!
    Just so I understand correctly: you would rather have a PDF manual that is formatted specifically to be printed, than a PDF manual that is formatted specifically to be readable as a PDF?

Or is it just that you want a PDF to begin with, to do what you like with?
    I'm not all that knowledgeable on the subject, but could it not be both readable in PDF form and printable in booklet form?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think it would be a great idea to release it early as a sort of teaser.