Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Philhelm said:

Imoen's a fine looking strumpet, ain't she?

Aye, well she does have high Charisma!
    Jason_Silverain
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I was searching for BG fanart yesterday and saw this amazing painting

http://smailika07.deviantart.com/art/BG-Unforgotten-337003425

I'd actually like to see someone crop this and make it into an alternate portrait for Xan--if it's okay with the artist, of course. I'm actually kinda thinking about messaging her on dA and asking her about it.
    SwordsNotWordsMoomintroll
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    @LadyEibhilinRhett this picture is realy amazing, but it's not good for portrait. Portrait should be... you know, a portrait. We should see his face from the front.
    Kirkor said:

@LadyEibhilinRhett this picture is realy amazing, but it's not good for portrait. Portrait should be... you know, a portrait. We should see his face from the front.

I don't really think that matters much. I mean, at least two of the original BG portraits are at nearly a sideview.
    Syntia13
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Philhelm said:

She looks like somebody's mom, though. :-S
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    @Syntia13, your version is the first I've seen of all these that actually made Imoen look less than 30 years old. I knew that the mouth and chin were the key, not the eyes. The original portrait has far too many lines around the mouth to belong to anyone less than 30 - the dimples, the sagging skin around the entire jaw area, the overhang of the cheeks making it look like the jaw is sunken - really, the entire area below the nose, belong to a person much older than 19. Your rework of the mouth and cheeks has taken at least 10 years or more off the age of the original portrait.
    I think it's definitely improved over the original, but agree with @trinit that the other changes are drastic (hair, especially).

Philhelm said:

I can testify to that--she looks almost exactly like *my* mom. It's the creepiest thing ever and that's why I prefer her BG2 portait.
    The pale one (I'm lost on who's done which) without cheek hollows is the youngest looking face, but would like to see that with the hair @trinit used. Next time, they should use a 19 year old to model for the portrait!
    Kirkor
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

Philhelm said:

How old are you, son?
    TheMoatMonster
    ?Me? I'm in my 40's, why?

The pale one (I'm lost on who's done which) without cheek hollows is the youngest looking face, but would like to see that with the hair @trinit used. Next time, they should use a 19 year old to model for the portrait!

I agree. And I tried to do that, but failed miserably :(
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    This thread makes me feel bad for the model of the Imoen portrait. I am enjoying watching those more skilled in photo manipulation (i.e., everyone) put together the variations on Imoen here. Seems like a good idea for one of the "art challenges" @LadyEibhilinRhett runs. Have people post variations or alternative portaits and then others can post their versions or further refine something someone else posted.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012
    trinit said:

I must say that with the "wet"/"not bloated" hair style she looks much much better!

Even though, she still looks like around her 30's and not 20-- like she is supposed to be.
    I know I'm very nit-picky about Imoen, as it's really hard for me to get past the age/image mismatch. To be honest, I'm 99.9% opposed to real photos becoming character pix for BG, but this one really does work for Imoen (@Jalily uses it for forum avatar, which is where I first saw it):

On a fun note, uulyl on Deviant Art made a wonderful Imoen:

The softer lines on @Kirkor's image really capture the age, but I'm not really a fan of the hair:

@LadyEibhilinRhett also got a younger face (hair doesn't quite work for me, but I'm picky about little sis!)

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Philhelm said:

I actually found a portrait with my idea in mind, although this looks a bit more supernatural than I was hoping for. Ideally, I would like to see Male #2, unedited except for a hood like this one; perhaps a brown hood, since red might clash with the blue background. Although I'm not sure if that's the BG1 or BG2 portrait.

Paladin

Photobucket

I used to have a whole series of these portraits before my HD died. They took the first male CHARNAME option and tweaked it by using elements of other portraits. I've been trying to reconstitute it, but I've been unable to track down my favorite of the bunch, one which imposes the CHARNAME face of Keldorn's portrait and (I think) removes the blood spatter. If anyone has that portrait or a link where it may be found, be a lamb and post it :).
    Philhelm
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012
    Just a sampling of the ones I have made...
    But these are all pretty old. My photoshopping skills have FAR improved, so I'm eager to start on a new batch for the Enhanced Edition. I would really like to know the dimentions and color specs, etc so I can start ;)

imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

I'm currently gathering source photos etc for a complete remake of all bg1 and bg2 characters using celebs/real pictures, in Baldurs Gate 2 art style similar to above. There are other celebrity ones that are done really exellent out there already. I have those as well. Some were hard to track down but I have a pretty complete list. Possibly THE most complete list. I have always loved customising and editing the Npc Portraits in game.
    AkerhonAHFSmiling_Imppedrorq
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    @TiaxRulesAll If what you say about your photoshopping skills is true holy smokes! Cause those don't look half bad to me! I for one would love to see anything you end up making.
    I have the opposite opinion. Do not like photo-looking BG portraits. Guess it's all a matter of preferences.
    MungriSwordsNotWords
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Guess it's all a matter of preferences.

That is my view. Some people complain about certain portaits looking too IWD. Some complain about portraits looking too photo.

The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Let people pick for themselves!
    SwordsNotWordsPhilhelmDelvarian
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367

I definitely prefer the picture on the right, but the face is still too..... not.. good.... I've never been a fan of the bg1 Imoen picture, not even when I was 7 and first started playing.

reedmilfam
    Syntia13 said:

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing, it's been a busy couple days.
    I apologize in advance for not calling everyone out by name, but that would take too long and I got only a quarter to spare. I'll just address what I remember from skimming the posts in general:
    The picture of younger Imoen looks like it was copy/pasted from few different pictures... because it was! :P (The hair are from this pic: http://enkida.deviantart.com/gallery/33798575?offset=48#/d4hifbn ).
    I didn't actually changed the width of the neck. It may look too thin because there's a bang of hair obscuring one side of it - it's easier to notice that on the original picture, because the rest of the neck is not covered with a high collar. I removed that hair in the new version to avoid confusion. The hair shape could be explained by a strong wind blowing in Imie's face, I guess? But then I really liked what @trinit (and others) did with the hair, so I went with this idea, though I didn't exactly copy it. I lightened the cheek shadows as @Kirkor suggested, and additionally moved the shadows on eyelids. So here is the final product (meaning I'm out of steam and ideas to tweak it any further. If you can make it look better, go ahead and improve :) ), thanks for tips, everyone! :

Once again in armor, because that dress is no good for adventuring. :P

@Syntia13 - I think your new Imoen picture is even better than your last one (which I've been using in a current BGT game), the hair in particular is much better.

BTW they've announced the new portrait sizes for BGEE here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4765/faq/p6

L 210x330
    M 169x266
    S 54x84

Hope I have most of my better portrait images as large as 210x330, but probably not in some cases...
    Syntia13Kirkor
    @Syntia13 : I think you pretty much nailed it with
    image [again, @Syntia13 's work, not mine!]

Good stuff!
    Syntia13EleutherosAHFAlderic
    BTW does anyone else think Imoen's eyes look a little bloodshot (in both the original and new)? Might just be my monitor...
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    edited November 2012
    Syntia I agree with others, at last a pic of Imoen that fits both the look of the original and yet a younger appearance that feels more in line with her voice in game. Well done! If I'm able to import pics to the IPad version ill definitely use this one. Kudos to the armor as well, fits much better with her personality.

As far as being bloodshot, I think it's the lighting and pinkish tint from the original pic that makes them look that way. You would need to rewhiten them in photoshop to get rid of the original "reflection"
    Syntia13Oxford_GuyKirkor
    @Syntia13 This is perfect. This is exactly how Imoen should look like from the beggining :)
    The only thing that bugs me is here neck. Seems slightly too long. But I'm probably nitpicking :P

@Oxford_Guy yeah I've noticed that too. It's more visible on pictures, where background is not pink. It's probably a "reflection" of surroundings.
    Syntia13
    Correction - @Oxford_Guy A person under the name Coriander announced those sizes. I've been unable to corroborate that claim, so there's no way to absolutely decide the veracity of that information. Hence the need for the request for the new manual in this thread by @Kristie83 .
    Kristie83
This discussion has been closed.