Skip to content

THE FORUM BULLY

2»

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2012
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Actually I believe there are enough moderators now... but the world has a lot of timezones and sometimes a moderator just isn't available to deal with a troll.

Now if the forum starts to grow after release we may actually need more moderators. It doesn't even need to be new global moderators, moderators to certain categories would be enough. As an example we have LadyRhian who is a moderator in the Roleplaying category.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @mlnevese: Very true. Especially if traffic on these forums starts to peak after release. Undoubtedly the release will not only stir up new interest in BG, but it will also attract a bunch of trolls or whiners seeking trouble by making provocative topics. Yet I still hope that the good will outweigh the bad...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I have seen bully-moderators once, who would remove from the forum anyone who had a very different opinion!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    In this forum you'd take this kind of problem to the developers. I really doubt Trent Oster & company would suffer this kind of behavior from a moderator.
    @DJKajuru: Actually, that's what happened to me right today! I had posted a critical comment on the way Bioware handles voice acting (auto-dialogue in Mass Effect 3 and Hawke saying something completely different from what you want him/her to say in Dragon Age 2) and on how the latest games feature a poor plot, and the next day (so today) I got a PM from a moderator bascially telling me to shut up or get removed from the site... There's a difference between criticism and insults, you know. He almost took it personally and thought I was insulting the voice actors...which wasn't my intention at all. :\
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandyr: Sure. I'll send you a PM.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited November 2012
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud I was part of the QA team for DA2... sadly, we just didn't have enough time to go through it all in-depth. We caught quite a few of the responses not matching tone and/or context, but, that's part of the casualty with the short dev cycle. Often, I think, the biggest issue was not totally knowing how what you said would work out. Sometimes it was intended that way, and other times it was totally unintentional... I'm inclined to think, that the icons were a great idea, but, really maybe if you hovered a bit longer it could show you the whole line or something was what was missing...

AAAnyway, bully moderators are something we're trying to avoid - and there is a fine line between too much and too little moderation. Personally, I subscribe to the "I may not like what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death the right to say it" school of thought, keeping in mind obvious hate/harassment/trolling is out of the question.

It's a tough job being fair, and sometimes you end up coming down hard on both parties - as regardless of who was at fault at the beginning, they both committed certain acts that were unacceptable along the way. People don't like that, but... such is life. At the same time I want everyone to like me, I won't sacrifice my integrity for that to be the case =P
    @Nathan: I don't think it could have been so difficult to just show the player the lines of dialogue and Hawke saying that exact line of dialogue that the player chose as a reply. In fact, it could have been much easier to implement. So I see no reason why Hawke didn't do this and started saying unintended lines. In DA:O, you got a small list of questions and answers. Why not have a voice actor just voice those? Why 'random' lines? Anyway, as for the moderator part, I always try to be polite, but Bioware has really tried me with their latest releases, which feature fatal flaws that make me wonder what the hell was actually going on during the development of the games. It's not just about experiments anymore, it's about bad leadership and wrong decisions. I find it hard to believe that all of the devs really considered Mass Effect 3's ending so fabulous that the game deserved to be overhyped before release. It didn't make sense, it lacked logic and it boggles my mind how products like that could be released like that, especially Dragon Age 2. I have never spoken an ill word about any person working at Bioware, except for maybe Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, but even then I kept it game-related. I didn't insult them for being bad people, I only made a few cynical remarks about Casey's failure to make ME 3 truly grand and how because of Walters Liara got a fully fleshed out sex scene, as opposed to the other romanceable characters (seriously, Liara is overrated as a character, but that is something for another topic). Do I think less of them as people? Of course not. They might be really nice people, who knows? Anyway, I think Chris could have been more polite in his reply. It's part of his job as a moderator, afterall.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited November 2012
    For the bioboards things seems to have changed then. Our forum section is not moderated at all!!! the only time some guy shows up is when spammers flood the forums. But I tell you we dont need any moderator at all because there is almost no trolling and no flaming;) The last time it gets a little bit out of hand was around february or so.

For the bioboards things seems to have changed then. Our forum section is not moderated at all!!! the only time some guy shows up is when spammers flood the forums. But I tell you we dont need any moderator at all because there is almost no trolling and no flaming;) The last time it gets a little bit out of hand was around february or so.

True. I believe in the sense of maturity and politeness the members of this community have. :)

• kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Forum bullies are just like inmates in prison and jail. They all own harleys,cadillacs,beemers, and lincolns but they want you to loan them some shampoo.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2012
    Bullying is the normal way that living creatures behave, survival of the fittest. But now with the internet even nerds can feel strong. I dont find it bad, everyone must stand up for his own and shall not let others harass him. If he cant, oh well, who cares. Hes not the first and for sure not the last in the long human history that will suffer from something or someone. Face it, life is shit and unfortunatelly you have to deal with it or quit.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Be careful with that statement dude, what is strengh for you? Muscles in real life? Words in internet? Many slaughters in some USA schools happened when one of those "nerds" became tired and took a gun to put things even, killing a lot of people.

While i also believe in survival of the fittest, we live in a society, there's a limit to that. The film Hearth of america make a good example of this kind of shit.

In internet, the only thing that's hurt is the feelings or the pride, and people can just walk away and forget that specific forum, on internet "mind is strengh" has a better application. Compare bulling in real life with cyber bully is a mistake.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I think there is a big difference between eating an animal to survive, and beating a non-threatening kid to a bloody pulp when it comes to survival of the fittest...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.