Skip to content

Most unintentionally underwhelming fight?

RannRann Member Posts: 168
So there I was, two days ago, about to face up against a powerful red dragon. (I'll be vague about the location, to keep this as spoiler-free as I can.) Aerie, Imoen, Nalia, and Viconia have got us all buffed up -- I've got Crom Faeyr to hand, and Sarevok is ready with the Psion blade. I can't even see the character's faces on their pictures, as everyone is buffed to the max.

As usual, I have one of the mages -- Nalia, in this instance -- throw a Disintegrate spell immediately as soon as the dragon goes hostile. It had never worked before on anything so resistant to magic but, what the heck, why not? It's going to be a heck of a fight, and later I can try to have Aerie and Imoen work on lowering his resistance-- Nalia has nothing else to do at the moment...

Of course, this time it worked, right off, first time, before any other character had time to do *anything.*

So, there I am, six characters buffed out, ready for... nothing. I can almost imagine them, looking at each other, thinking "Well, what the heck was I so worked up about? Now what?"

Ever have one of *those* sorts of anticlimactic battles with a boss-type foe?

[Edit: "resistance," not "existence"... sheesh...]
Post edited by Rann on

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Aye, in Throne of Bhaal, that one particular fight against that one particular Monk...

So, Balthazar went haywire on our party, just as he usually does. This time around he went straight for Sarevok though. Sarevok swings, WHOOPS, deathbringer assault. Technical Knock Out! Battle over, thanks everyone for watching, see you later bros!
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Damn, I wish that had ever worked for me! I've never had any luck disintegrating a dragon. In fact, I generally find that anything worth using a disintegrate spell on resists it, so it's not a spell I use often though it is pretty cool when it works.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    A whole lot of ToB is just one big underwhelming fight
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I just fought Borda west of the Xvart village. For some reason I did very well against him very quickly considering he normally is pretty strong for a random encounter. Needless to say I had no damage done to anyone in my party and I only cast 2 spells. Haste first (oddly enough considering the second choice of monster summoning I). With tons of Kobolds around he fell very quickly.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    The tale of the Illithid control circlet and Jon Irenicus.
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    Most fights are underwhelming if you use spike traps.
    In BG2 the skinner in Trademeet. I was expecting a hell of a fight after finally catching him and he turned up to be as powerful as a skeleton.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Had about the same situation with the Shadow Dragon. Buffed up to the max, then one hit with the Silver Sword.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168

My first fight against Firkraag. I worked out my tactics, buffed up my party and waded in. It took him about thirty seconds to kill us all. He looked really underwhelmed by the experience.

:-) On a similar vein, I've noticed that a room full of always-firing traps plus one well-placed "Horror" spell can really ruin my fight, no matter how much I've buffed...
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    So I'm playing IWD while wait for BG:EE to come out. I've waded through Dragon's Eye and I get to the final boss battle of the chapter. Outside the room I cast some summons and haste the party, we go charging in, my melee fighters go for the boss, summons and ranged attackers work on the mages and archers. I'm getting ready to caste a fireball on some of the mooks when I notice the boss is down and my fighters are sitting there twiddling their thumbs. So I quickly mop up the rest of the fight and then scroll back up to see what happened. Turns out the boss died to literally the first two attacks in the fight, a pair of critical hits took her down in under 5 seconds.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2012
    @Marric

Wait, WHAT?
    I am pretty sure you are not talking about the final boss of Dragon's Eye.
    Are you sure you're not talking about Presio? You know, boss battle on the third level of the dungeon?
    I thought she was the final one the first time I played , but then there was more.
    Yeah, pretty sure you're talking about Presio.
    Because I refuse to believe anyone could take out Yxunomei in two hits.
    She was the only boss in the game that wiped the floor with me. Multiple times.
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    Disintegrate a Dragon? I'd call that really bad luck... Dragon horde; cool items, scales, gold... now dust.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Elof, yup, I never, ever use Disintegrate or Flesh to Stone. What's the point of doing that to a monster and getting no treasure? I don't even use level 10-11 Chromatic Orb for the same reason.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @balgarathmeth

Same here. Spell Trigger with Lower Resistance (x2) + Greater Malison, followed by a Finger of Death is a much better way to insta-kill than treasure-destroying spells like Disintegration and Flesh to Stone. Despite all the pre-buffing of my party, Nizidramanii'yt lasted two rounds when I used that spell combo.
    edited November 2012

@Marric

Wait, WHAT?
    I am pretty sure you are not talking about the final boss of Dragon's Eye.
    Are you sure you're not talking about Presio? You know, boss battle on the third level of the dungeon?
    I thought she was the final one the first time I played , but then there was more.
    Yeah, pretty sure you're talking about Presio.
    Because I refuse to believe anyone could take out Yxunomei in two hits.
    She was the only boss in the game that wiped the floor with me. Multiple times.

It was definitely Yxunomei, Presio gave me significantly more trouble, lol.

Holiver + Peasant's Reward + Critical Hit = 36 Damage
    Teri + Long Sword of Confusion + Critical Hit = 28 Damage
    Apparently she's only got 64 hit points, this was on hard difficult too, I was pretty disappointed. Presio and the room with the bow of Sseth were both significantly harder.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I hear Yxunomei got nerfed hardcore with one of the Expansion Packs (I forget whether it was Trials of Luremater or Heart of Winter), that's probably what's going on here.

I play IWD version 1.0 and yes Yxunomei is super challenging. Awesome battle.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The black dragon was underwhelming. After many death/reloads with Firkraag and the Shadow Dragon, it was nice to whomp one of the great drakes!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    First time out of candlekeep... Me, Imoen, Xavar and Montarion found three diseased gibberlings...

I was pretty confused on the off as the game paused... After randomly pressing keys... The game restarted, I watched as my mage was taken down in about two seconds after one hit...

Didn't even kill a gibberling... It was okay as I thought I would restart to see if I could save that ol' duffer who left candlekeep with me... I was sure I just didn't use the right dialogue option...

I obviously got better... I even managed to do the Dreppin quest...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I once scored a kill casting Chromatic Orb on the very first spell of a major battle... was it against Firky?... I think so, but I can't remember now, it was so many years ago... But anyway, I could barely believe my eyes. I mean I was happy, but damn.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Lich battles for me are either underwhelming or undoable: underwhelming if Minsc gets to one-shot them with Azuredge, undoable it it gets it's defences up in a way Azuredge is not hitting and Liches summon Time Stop and summon demons to wipe out my party in the time I'm trying to figure out how to debuff them.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    @Anduin did you manage to kill (around) ten rats yet for a whopping 5?
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Irenicus in Suldanessellar. Every time I fight him, it's so incredibly underwhelming.

The first time I went against him, I had a wizard slayer main character. Even though Irenicus was immune to damage with Aboslute Immunity, I hit him enough times that he couldn't cast spells anymore, and just whacked at him until his spell protections wore off. There was also no battle music, which made things especially lame.

The next playthrough he mazes everyone except the mages, and then fails a bunch of symbol spells (evryone's either immune or makes their save). He runs up to Imoen casting Cone of Cold and Fire Arrow over and over again... when she has 100% resist to fire and cold from her equipment. Again, no battle music.

That fight just disappoints me every time... Hell, you can even briskly walk away from his most used damaging spell (cone of cold)

Lich battles for me are either underwhelming or undoable: underwhelming if Minsc gets to one-shot them with Azuredge, undoable it it gets it's defences up in a way Azuredge is not hitting and Liches summon Time Stop and summon demons to wipe out my party in the time I'm trying to figure out how to debuff them.

Yeah, totally agree. Liches are either damn near impossible if they've got all their buffs and protections running. If they make it to timestop, that's almost always a party wipe. And if I kill them before they can timestop its with a lucky Azuredge/Mace of Disruption hit/Sunray or by abusing a Inquisitors dispel ability, which always feels likes a bit like cheating. Basically fighting Liches sucks, cause its either too easy or too hard, lol.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    First playthrough of the Planar Prison.

Freed the Thralls. While I was still on the other side of the map, (near death from the demon) one of the mage thralls casts a monster summoning spell and gets an ettercap. The Ettercap poisons the warden and he dies from the poison before I even clear away the fog of war.

I have never seen it happen again, regardless of how many ettercaps/spiders I attempt to summon during the battle.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited November 2012
    disregard, didn't read the whole post. I'm so bad.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Amberion said:

disregard, didn't read the whole post. I'm so bad.

an unintentionally underwhelming post ;-)

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    There are several instances where I've killed difficult opponents in really easy circumstances that I now don't use because they make the game too easy:

1.) Viconia killed the same red dragon you refer to with the Finger of Death spell. It killed him instantly.

2.) Have two or more characters cast the Energy Blades spell and attack almost any dragon from multiple directions at the same time. The dragon will keep changing directions to attack whoever threw the last blade, but because they're coming so quickly and from multiple directions, the dragon can rarely catch anyone and will die very quickly. If you do this with six characters the dragon may die in only a few seconds.

3.) You can cast Imprionment on the Shadowdragon and get the XP as though you killed it without actually fighting it and without it even going hostile. You can then cast Freedom and repeat the process as many times as you want for infinite XP.

4.) If you time it perfectly, you can cast Dragon's Breath so that it goes off just after Kangaxx turns into his Demi-lich form, but before he gets his magical protections up. If you do so, he will be killed instantly.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I gotta 'side with 3rd edition on that case.

Dragons have really high saves , and an ancient one would never lose a save against a disintegrate spell!
  • RheiosRheios Member Posts: 22
    A Nat 1 is always a Nat 1