Skip to content

Removal of Some In-game Videos (Beregost, Gnoll Stronghold, etc.)

@TrentOster via Twitter:
We cut the Beregost movie, the Gnoll fortress and a few more
We removed a few videos as they did not meet the quality bar and we decided to put more time into the game itself instead of redoing them
How do you feel about this? Is it a reasonable compromise? Or perhaps an unthinkable violation of our collective childhoods?

Discuss.
SionIVlolien

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    As long as they haven't removed the intro/outro, I am not too broken about it. Some clips are nice (Nashkel, Cloakwood, The Friendly Arm Inn (mostly due to the music)) but the only must-haves to me were the intro and the outro of the game, those were pure awesome.
    Zarathustra
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm more curious about why those movies in particular didn't pass muster whereas some others did.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Wait, you mean there will be neither old nor new version for some of those? Aww MAN! That's a bummer. :( Wouldn't say it's sacrilege or violation, but it will certainly take a little from the game. Let's hope that the added bits will make up for it and more.

...who's up for a 'create the missing cut-sceenes' challenge?
    lolien
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    I believe they remade some of the videos in HD but due to time and costs couldnt redo everything. They were forced to leave the minor videos out because they were inconsistent with the new content/video presentations.
    MedullaOblongata
    @DukeGr Ah, the movies have been remade in HD with new hand-drawn art, that's right. I had forgotten.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Oh, right. I would agree it makes sense to cut the ones that didn't get remade then. Would be nice to still have them included in the game files though, as Jalily said.
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    Shin said:

Oh, right. I would agree it makes sense to cut the ones that didn't get remade then. Would be nice to still have them included in the game files though, as Jalily said.

Would be even better if they can remake those too in HD for a future patch/expansion

ShinKristie83DarksheerNecdilzor
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    It's a shame
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Kharador said:

It's a shame

Wow, Kharador complaining, haven't seen that before!
    Tanthalas said:

Kharador said:

It's a shame

Wow, Kharador complaining, haven't seen that before!
    Do you delete my comment for it?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I left it there didn't I?
    Tanthalas said:

I left it there didn't I?

I seen that before!
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    id prefer tweaks over a couple of the minor video's especially if you have put down the time to make the important ones better !!!
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    NOOOO!!!!!!

Aww man, that sucks, I loved those videos, they added a lot it the immersion for me. The Gnoll fortress in particular, really made it feel like you were about to explore an old mysterious fortress. This was one of the things that made BG a better game than BG2 for me, and now its gone. :(
    AdulIlphalar
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I don't really care about videos all that much... much happier they chose to concentrate on the game instead
    mch202MedullaOblongataKirinaldoNecdilzor
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I can understand taking them out, I bet they look terrible now compared to the new HD vids.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited November 2012
    Hell no, why they would do such a thing?
    Cut the crap out of some NPC's if they seem not so important by someone in the dev team.
    Feel free to remove more, please!

They said that all movies would be remade... not just some of them.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Seeing as I try to skip movies after the first playthrough, I do believe that this may be a good thing.
    Necdilzor
    I wonder if they will eventually add those new movies. I hope so. It definitely adds to the atmospherics of the game. All the little details such as the movies do add up.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2012
    I believe those movies did create a sense of atmosphere, of actually being there. It's sad they got thrown out. I'd be very pleased if Beamdog could put in replacements post-ship.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Not really fussed. I would rather all the video sequences were of similar quality or else not in at all. It would look very amateur to leave some old videos in there whilst replacing others.
    Necdilzor
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    The Gnoll Fortress video always bothered me a little. It had no Gnolls in it. What's the deal?
    IchigoRXCDiscoCat
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'll miss the old video's, especially Nashkel (with that cute child off to play), the Gnoll fortress and Durlag's Tower with it's atmosphere of dread. But time is indeed better spend with tweaks and bugfixing, and a mix of old and new video's would give a weird impression.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I understand and agree that pulling them to make release was the right call. That said, I hope they eventually bring them back. I know videos are trivial but with BG:EE I expected the original experience: Enhanced.
    Kristie83Lemernis
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    While the reason may be valid from some vague business perspective I can't say I'm happy about it. I never finished BG1 back in the day and never even saw most of those vids so this really puts me off playing.

I hope they either redo the rest of the cinematics but if they can't they never should've touched them in the first place. I guess modders will "fix it".
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    Kinda glad about the removal of the Beregost movie (it was just too silly), not sure about the others.