Skip to content

Removal of Some In-game Videos (Beregost, Gnoll Stronghold, etc.)

Comments

• EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    I'm highly dissapointed. They not only threw away few cool movies building atmosphere (wyvern like f.i), but they also shallowed existed ones. Where is this scene from Nashekel with lurking kobolds? Friendly Firehand inn with slowly opening bridge? Now they are just static cutscene with almost not animation. And imo that's the main reason why they changed/deleted them. They couldnt/didn't have time to do animations so they replaced them with drawned picture with old soudntrack. But i admit that old ones graphically wouldnt fit this version of game. Hope they will be added/changed in the future or modded by someone.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    modders to the rescue!
    flare100
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The videos look cool... They fit the new style... To be honest, I would like the missing movies made into the new style please. I have played BGT and the old movies are too small, enlarged, they are blurry. No. They needed replacing, however I cannot forgive, skimping, on movies that existed in the old BG not being put into an enhanced edition...
    Adulmibbleslolien
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Very dissapointed with the videos being cut from the game. I'd rather they improve the original videos than cutting that content and putting in new things that weren't originally in the game.

It seems the definitive version of the game is not the Enhanced Edition. As a long time supporter and defender of BGEE, this is hugely disappointing and I can't see myself defending this version against those who prefer the GoG version with mods.
    rodrigj
  • rodrigjrodrigj Member Posts: 15
    I was hopping for a real enhanced version, not dumbed down one : waiting 2 monthes for that... What a dissapointment...

JPR out!
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    I would actually prefer if they got an artist to beautifully draw a still of all of the cutscene areas and have that fade in when going to them. I know this is a bit different as it removes all the videos but it is definitely more immersive (i.e., not giving you a fully featured tour of the entire area before going into it and instead giving you what your party would be looking at from where they are).
    Adul
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Tanthalas said:

They didn't upscale any of the old videos. They made new videos to replace them, they just didn't make new videos for all of them.

Is there any chance they might replace the rest of the videos? The small cinematics kind of gave a great atmosphere. Maybe if we ask very nicely? "Pretty please? Boo says yes...?"
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited November 2012
    The old videos were far too small to fit in the new version. It would look ugly and strange with stamp sized videos at high resolutions.

I'm rather glad they poured their limited recourses into gameplay and not into lots of new videos, and my opinion is that some of the "I won't support this game now" shenanigans is way out of proportions.
    Cactus
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Yea honestly after about 20 minutes of disliking the decision I was pretty much like "meh". Most of the videos they cut weren't all that significant (night and day, beregost, yes even Nashkel because as I recall you only ever run into one kobold outside of the mine, and he isn't hostile). Though I did like the gnoll stronghold one for giving a good idea of scale, it would be very odd for them to include it without making an up to date version. They are trying to sell a product here to more than to just super hardcore fans like ourselves after all.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I really love the new video style, shame they couldn't get a new video for all the old ones, but not that big a deal.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

Very dissapointed with the videos being cut from the game. I'd rather they improve the original videos than cutting that content and putting in new things that weren't originally in the game.

It seems the definitive version of the game is not the Enhanced Edition. As a long time supporter and defender of BGEE, this is hugely disappointing and I can't see myself defending this version against those who prefer the GoG version with mods.

If removing less than 30 secs total of cutscenes causes you to be "very disappointed" then just, wow I guess...

• mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    @Messi

To be fair, rather more than 30 seconds of cutscenes have been removed.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556

@Messi

I really doubt it.
    Moomintroll
    @Communard

As far as I can tell the following cutscenes are missing:

The Iron Throne; The Duchal Palace; The Dungeon; The Wyvern; The Temple of Bhaal; The Sewers; The Gnoll Stronghold; Beregost; Entering Durlag's Tower; Sunset; Sunrise; Candlekeep.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2012

@Messi

Ah, I should have read the OP properly I thought the three mentioned in the title were the only ones removed, but still if this is limited to the "zone in" scenes those were all really, really short. I mean sure I would have liked to have them re-made too, but I still think it's rather silly thing to get too upset about.
    @Communard

If you look at the post by @Kirkor above, you'll see what is missing.
    Big deal. The game takes between 120-200 hours to complete if you want to explore everything, and you're moaning over a minute (MAX) loss of stamp sized, low resolution cut scenes!
    mlnevese
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I won't miss the sunrise/sunset and the others I can live without (they would look TERRIBLE in widescreen) but I will miss the awesomesauce that is the wyvern grabbing some beef to takeaway.
    elminster
    edited November 2012
    Messi said:

If removing less than 30 secs total of cutscenes causes you to be "very disappointed" then just, wow I guess...

It's not less than 30 sec total of cutscenes. This is supposed to the 'Enhanced Edition' but it seems a lot of people prefer the 'Cut Edition'. I can't fathom why people like you want a cut edition of the original content, and have a lot of the videos taken out, and are okay with Overhaul to do this.

If you're all for the 'cut version of original content edition' then just, wow I guess...

I'd like to see a patch sometime in future with all the videos updated and back in the game. Then it can be a true 'enhanced edition'.

mibbles

Messi said:

It's not less than 30 sec total of cutscenes. This is supposed to the 'Enhanced Edition' but it seems a lot of people prefer the 'Cut Edition'. I can't fathom why people like you want a cut edition of the original content, and have a lot of the videos taken out, and are okay with Overhaul to do this.

If you're all for the 'cut version of original content edition' then just, wow I guess...

There's absolutely no actual game content cut!
    There's a minutes worth of cutscenes removed and added new high resolution cutscenes that most people look at once or twice, and then they go on to play the game, which have several HOURS worth of NEW content, which the developers wisely used their limited resources to make, instead of pointless cutscenes.

Come of your high horse, and find something real to complain about.
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:

There's absolutely no actual game content cut!
    There's a minutes worth of cutscenes removed and added new high resolution cutscenes that most people look at once or twice, and then they go on to play the game, which have several HOURS worth of NEW content, which the developers wisely used their limited resources to make, instead of pointless cutscenes.

Come of your high horse, and find something real to complain about.

Nice red herring and trying to divert this to 'game content'. What is 'game content'?

Stop trying to defend this. Have a look at the Baldurs Gate website under Enhancements. Here's a screenshot. http://i47.tinypic.com/sq0189.jpg

It says "All of the Baldur's Gate cinematics have been replaced with beautifully hand painted animated cinematics, directed by Nat Jones."

Note that is says "ALL" of the cinematics. So stop trying to defend this when Overhaul clearly states they would enhance all the cinematics. As I said, you're all for the 'Cut Edition'. I and a lot of people are after the 'Enhanced Edition'.

All they have to do is make an announcement and say we'll release a patch down the track with all the cinemtics enhanced and back in the game.
    mibbles
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited November 2012
    It's not really an issue of time, I suppose, it's more an issue of money. The reason I'm saying this is that the people who design and implement cutscenes are most likely not the same people who are responsible for modeling game areas or fixing bugs. So time is not really an issue.

As for whether or not money is better spent on game content instead of cutscenes... ehh. Not really, at least not as far as I'm concerned. I mean, sure, I can live without the BG night/day transitions and the duchal palace dungeon, but some of those movies they've removed were great at setting the atmosphere and their presence in the game mattered to me quite a bit.

And no, I didn't just look at videos once and then skipped them on subsequent playthroughs, I watched each of them countless times over the past 14 years, because I liked them.
    lolien
    edited November 2012
    I saw the below comment on another forum which I agree with. If Overhaul didn't have time to finish all the cinematics then they should have at least put them in the game with the below option:

They could have just added an option to the settings "Disable/Enable Showing Low Quality Movies"

However, the right thing to do for the fans is to have the cinematics enhanced and placed back in the game sometime down the track with a future patch, to not only keep it in the spirit of the game and to keep it complete, but to also keep their promise as per the website that all the cinematics will be enhanced.
    Post edited by Metal_Hurlant on
    Kirkormibbles
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43
    Adul said:

some of those movies they've removed were great at setting the atmosphere and their presence in the game mattered to me quite a bit.

And no, I didn't just look at videos once and then skipped them on subsequent playthroughs, I watched each of them countless times over the past 14 years, because I liked them.

This.

Also, we're not talking about just a few cinematics here... It's a dozen cinematics that were cut without putting anything in their place. And sure, some of them are very short sunrise/sunset and camping-like stuff, but in an isometric game where you experience the world from a top-down camera angle, these scenes actually provided a unique perspective on many of the locations you visited and did a great job at setting the mood and atmosphere for some big story moments and set pieces, especially stuff like Nashkel, the Gnoll Stronghold, Cloakwood Forest, the Temple of Bhaal, Durlag's Tower, etc.

mibbles
  • mallzmallz Member Posts: 16
    Its much better than having to be forced to watch them over and over and over and over...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    mallz said:

Its much better than having to be forced to watch them over and over and over and over...

Um, what? You can skip the movies.
    Moomintroll
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Jalily said:

mallz said:

Um, what? You can skip the movies.
    As far as I know, you had to watch each unique movie at least once in each BG install, and then you could skip them on other playthroughs.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Eh? Do you kill your granny just because she may not meet some weird abitary standards? ...NO?

I assume you have made the vids skipable, if they are offending, then it's up to the player just to skip them.
  • mallzmallz Member Posts: 16
    @Jalily really? maybe my keyboard and mouse died for a couple seconds each time. I could never skip them to my memory. It has been at least 3 years since my last play through...