Skip to content

why cant it be on consoles

lilraven1188lilraven1188 Member Posts: 4
i only have an xbox so i wont be able to play

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It will play on even the crappiest pc or laptop imaginable, so if you are able to post that message you can probably play it :p
    Ogee
  • sabbat7001sabbat7001 Member Posts: 1
    Even so I'm glad I just got a new PC a few weeks back. My old one could barely handle the calculator.
    MathuzzzMedullaOblongatajunk11xxxsmb1987xxx
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Just sell everything you own and buy an iPad or something ;-)
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Five finger discount
    TamokoMedullaOblongataTJ_Hooker
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    It can't be on the consoles because the games controls and UI are too complicated to transition properly to a controller. The game would require a massive amount of redesign to play as well on the controller as it does on PC and the developers just do not have the time or money to do that.
    elminsterOgee
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    Because consoles are for families with kids..

on a more serious note.. its simply not advanced enough to cope with all the stuff. (I am serious)
    If consoles evolved more they would be Desktop pcs :D but thats not the point of a console.. its merely a easy and "cheap" entertainment system.. something for the whole family..

I remember when I had consoles as a kid.. I had them because it was easy for killing time and plaiyng some fighting games or sportgames.. back then the PC still had the most advanced of my games :) that consoles could not cope with..

Its not that I dislike consoles etc.. I like them infact.. but I don't see consoles for advance gaming and not RPGs at all (althrough action rpgs do well)
    Deltaslayer
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I think the consoles have more than enough horsepower.
    Its more a problem of development, and how to get a mouse heavy pointy clicky game to work well with a gamepad.
    I think it could work, and is the biggest market by far. They don't even stock PC titles in the Gamestops around me.
    Not sure on specs, but newer consoles ought to have 512mb ram and 1ghz, no?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @drsahl I have a theory going that Microsoft will eventually transform the XBOX into a console that operates fully under Windows, which (among other things) will allow games to be played on both the XBOX and PC interchangeably. The PC gaming market will really transform at that point, because developers will be able to create a single version of a game that can be used for both, and only have to worry about control schemes, rather than data structure.

Now, granted, with Windows 8, that's kind of what they're doing already. But I look forward to the moment when the transparency is complete.
    KilivitzDeltaslayerOgee
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Actually, this game can be very easy to use on a Wii/Wii U since the remote is practically a mouse. Maybe they should port it there. :p
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    <<<rant mode on>>> I'm sick of consoles and how developers optimize every single game for them! (Dragon Age 2 for one, Mass Effect 2 and 3 also got a lot less open space after they targeted the console market instead of the PCs, Skyrim's UI is a nightmare... they just make everything so much more simple, since you don't have a mouse and only limited button options...) Quit whining and get a used laptop. If you can get an xbox with its super expensive games, you sure as hell can get a cheap pc. Maybe you will be able to use it for other purposes as well... I can't really see, how can someone not have a pc or mac nowadays. You can't even make a presentation or a decent document on a tablet. <<</rant mode>>> And you seriously created an account just to post this?

Pray excuse me. It's just that this whole console thing really drives me crazy...
    IronThroneOfBhaalFenghoangMenthroAvenger_teambg
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I bought Dragon Age 1 & 2 for Xbox, the GUI was so horrendous on my (admittedly rather old flat panel plasma) my eyes -which are rubbish - just couldn't cope with it. That said, BG on my laptop is a bit of a chore too, I must buy myself a new big screen to hook up to.
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    Aosaw said:

@drsahl I have a theory going that Microsoft will eventually transform the XBOX into a console that operates fully under Windows, which (among other things) will allow games to be played on both the XBOX and PC interchangeably. The PC gaming market will really transform at that point, because developers will be able to create a single version of a game that can be used for both, and only have to worry about control schemes, rather than data structure.

Now, granted, with Windows 8, that's kind of what they're doing already. But I look forward to the moment when the transparency is complete.

Well its not that I disagree.. its kinda the only way it can progress.. but in the current form consoles are not shaped for these kinda games :)

• SimmOSimmO Member Posts: 10
    Senash said:

<<<rant mode on>>> I'm sick of consoles and how developers optimize every single game for them! (Dragon Age 2 for one, Mass Effect 2 and 3 also got a lot less open space after they targeted the console market instead of the PCs, Skyrim's UI is a nightmare... they just make everything so much more simple, since you don't have a mouse and only limited button options...) Quit whining and get a used laptop. If you can get an xbox with its super expensive games, you sure as hell can get a cheap pc. Maybe you will be able to use it for other purposes as well... I can't really see, how can someone not have a pc or mac nowadays. You can't even make a presentation or a decent document on a tablet. <<</rant mode>>> And you seriously created an account just to post this?

Pray excuse me. It's just that this whole console thing really drives me crazy...

AMEN BROTHER
    elminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Senash said:

I agree. Mass Effect was originally a 360 game though, but yeah, it's afaik true that at least the ME3 PC version took some cuts (like weapon holstering animations) because the 360 memory couldn't handle it.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Star Trek: Legacy. The people rest their case : )
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    edited November 2012
    Baldur's Gate is already on consoles.

CommunardelminsterThe_New_RomanceGodKaiserHell
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Consoles have there place in the world. I would much rather play NHL on my xbox than on my laptop. I'd much rather play BG on my laptop than on my xbox.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

People can even play it on their PSP.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @PhillipDaigle I thought that port never got completed, at least not officially.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210

superLOL! OP - still want a console version?? :p

• allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210

superLOL! OP - still want a console version?? :p

Rush_that_speaks
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You know, you might be able to play BG on a Wii. I'm speaking in terms of controls. Once you input your character's name you don't type anything in. The different dialogue options would be easy (scroll down and hit A). The Wii would be really good for wrangling people and clicking on things.

*strokes chin* Wonder how feasible it'd actually be...
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Well, consoles should stay with Racing, Sport, beat em ups and platforming games. RPGs should be only on PCs. Consoles doesn't have enough buttons etc for RPG... Even playing FPS with controller is crap.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CaptRory said:

You know, you might be able to play BG on a Wii. I'm speaking in terms of controls. Once you input your character's name you don't type anything in. The different dialogue options would be easy (scroll down and hit A). The Wii would be really good for wrangling people and clicking on things.

*strokes chin* Wonder how feasible it'd actually be...

Well the Wii U is out now. Can't say I've tried it or if it would make it any easier.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    edited November 2012
    The PSX version of BG did, in fact, get cancelled. For obvious reasons.

Regarding porting BG:EE or BG2:EE to console, that probably won't happen without a significant investment from a publisher because of how difficult it would be to create a control scheme for controllers.

Yes, some similar games are on console, but those games were typically designed with console in mind. BG1 & 2 have almost entirely mouse or touch driven interfaces, and the player can do far more actions at any given time than there are buttons on a controller.
    CaptRoryelminster
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Kirkor said:

Well, consoles should stay with Racing, Sport, beat em ups and platforming games. RPGs should be only on PCs. Consoles doesn't have enough buttons etc for RPG... Even playing FPS with controller is crap.

Consoles have plenty of great RPGs on them.

lilraven1188GodKaiserHell
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kirkor said:

Exactly how many buttons do you need for BG? There's a mouse (analog stick), and the actual selection button (X or A). Boom. Done.

lilraven1188