Skip to content

I've found an answer to question: Why when charname dies it's game over?

KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
I often asked myself this question. And I am not the only one. I think it is the biggest mystery of all time. Many people was looking for the answer and never succeded throughout their lives.
But I think I may just have found answer for this nurturing question.
It is hidden in filosophy of northern monks, who sacrificed their lives to answer such hard existentional questions. Why do we live? Why are we born here and not somewhere else? Is there a god? Is there a destiny?

And most important one: Why when charname dies it's game over?
The answer was simple, yet so hard to find.
Now I reveal before thee an answer. It's like Cyrynishad: once you read it, you may become mad. Or even die!
So be aware. This is the answer:

YOLO
Post edited by Kirkor on

Comments

• MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
    It's because he's the protagonist and focus of the narrative. If they really wanted to, they could certainly shift focus to someone else while the main character was a corpse, but the main point of these games is to showcase the story of your character's growth, and if they spent too much time as a corpse, it would defeat the purpose. Besides, the character is supposed to be you. If you're dead, you can't very well continue playing, can you?

And yes, I realize you were just trying to be clever or funny, but I am in a bad mood so I'm treating everything ultra-serious. Please keep in mind that while I was writing this, the "DuckTales" theme was playing on my computer, so I am not too far gone.
  • cherrycoke2lcherrycoke2l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,085
    On a serious note: I believe the game ends at charname's death, because he/she is a BHAALspawn – therefore possesses some of the Bhaal's essence. And a god cannot be ressurected with a simple cleric's spell and their essence simply drifts away to the Astral Plane. I think this is what's portrayed in that little video after character's death anyway.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    You can create a multiplayer game, copy the savegame to single player and play it like IWD.
    Charnname dead? Np.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Just pretend he gets chunked every time he dies, there u go, problem solved (sort of).
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Because Faerun runs on batteries, and these batteries are stored inside of charname.

Because you didn't insert 25¢.

Because BACON
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    Why do you say "charname" instead of character or even main character if you need to be more specific?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Because, 42.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I did officially find this funny.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2012
    @Sulla
    Sulla said:

Why do you say "charname" instead of character or even main character if you need to be more specific?

Because that is the string that the game changes into your character name. Every time you see your character name in a letter, for instance, if you use an editor to examine the item you'll see that bit as .

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I am SO glad I finally know the answer to these existential question! YOLO!

I can't believe someone actually thought up that acronym. It is soooo stupid! Although, for some deep-seeded reason I hate all motivational and inspirational sayings (and now acronyms, thanks to the whole YOLO thing,) generally speaking... I'm really not a very negative person, I just dislike "canned" inspiration. /rant :P
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Hello. My name is CHARNAME.
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85

and this is my favorite inn in Baldur's Gate?

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Menthro said:

Shouldn't Rasaad being saying this? :p
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    elminster said:

Menthro said:

Shouldn't Rasaad being saying this? :p
    True enough, but if it fits, I sits sorta thing for right now...
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    Not much of a mystery when its pretty clear what happens when bhaalspawn die.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Why does Mario die when he touches the side of a goomba, but wins if he jumps on its head?
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106

I believe the game ends at charname's death, because he/she is a BHAALspawn – therefore possesses some of the Bhaal's essence.

If that were the reason, you could not get Imoen raised either.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    I think it is because Charname is a Bhaalspawn, and when he/she dies, the essence of Bhaal is withdrawn from him/her and immediately used to fuel the furnace of Bhaal's return. This is what the death-video of the hand being "absorbed" means.

It would be cool if there would be a cryptic reference to this fact in the game somehow, like one of the Bhaalspawn in Saradush telling how he used to have a friend who's also Bhaalspawn, who died and couldn't be ressurected with convential means, no matter how hard he tried.
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2012
    Malbortus said:

If that were the reason, you could not get Imoen raised either.

Hurray for retcons! Although it was never said she WASN'T a bhaalspawn in BG.

It would be cool if there would be a cryptic reference to this fact in the game somehow, like one of the Bhaalspawn in Saradush telling how he used to have a friend who's also Bhaalspawn, who died and couldn't be ressurected with convential means, no matter how hard he tried.

If you'd finished ToB you'd know why bhaalspawn don't come back.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I can't believe that so many people took this so serious :D
    salieri said:

Why does Mario die when he touches the side of a goomba, but wins if he jumps on its head?

OH MY GOD!
    mind = blow
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    edited November 2012
    Aye, the Mario and Goomba conundrum is the true dilemma here. Philosophers have debated this for centuries. I think it has something to do with humanity's (especially plumbers?) inability to face challenges head-on, instead resorting to unfair methods to gain advantages at the cost of others' well-being.
  • MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
    Goomba-proof shoes.
  • Eddie_KaspbrakEddie_Kaspbrak Member Posts: 29
    Ducktales is awesome
    Ducktales! WOOHOO!

Imagine this song while fighting Sarevok.
    Most. Epic. Thing. EVER!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Cos it would be a bit dumb if the entire epic Bhaalspawn saga managed to take place with the Bhaalspawns corpse draped over Minsc's shoulder.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    And here I thought that in this forum of Baldur's Gate fans I would be safe from that stupid phrase. I was wrong, and now it seems, nowhere is safe.

But, for a slight redemption, I think that when CHARNAME dies the game is over simply because in the mechanics of this game, CHARNAME is you, and all other party members are under your control, so they die, and you can take them to be Resurrection or what have you, but if you die that link of control is broken, and the only thing that can happen is Game Over; Whereas in IWD you have created and essentially control all characters, so it doesn't matter which one dies.

Of course, somebody can argue about control in multiplayer, but I'd rather you didn't try to split hairs.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Because your party wont raise you.
    Evil party: we wont spend money on this guy
    Neutral party: if he died it was for the balance, raising him would go against the balance.
    Good party: lets cry his death until he rots so we cant raise him
    edited November 2012
    @sepotter
    @LordsDarkKnight185
    @Kristie83

<.< I hate you...oh so much right now.</p>

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tGp9YinI2QI#t=15s