Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
AristilliusCrevsDaaklolien

Comments

• MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    Yes and yes.
    I believe that at 9 int you can only cast up to level 4 spells.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Never found conclusive proof of this either. There's nothing (afaik) in the game documentation about intelligence affecting the maximum spell level achievable. Easy enough to test inside the game though, just create a mage with low int and use the console to award a large amount of exp.
    Shin said:

Never found conclusive proof of this either. There's nothing (afaik) in the game documentation about intelligence affecting the maximum spell level achievable. Easy enough to test inside the game though, just create a mage with low int and use the console to award a large amount of exp.

True, but then again who has tried? What is the lowest int you can give to a mage though before it wont allow you to decrease it further or select the mage class? Or is their a lowest one? @.@ I just had a thought of a 3 int mage casting magic missile with his fingers up his nose....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    lolien
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    Well, if your character has low intelligence, spell learning percentage is very low and spell book might look rather "thin", but you can learn spells from all levels (In BG1 up to level 5 with pure mage, don't remember how mage/cleric goes).

Some more editing: Oh yeah, and this site might be of assistance to you: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Intelligence
    [Deleted User]
    Whelp, I stand corrected. Thanks for it!
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Good to know. Thanks all :) I was wondering this myself, but was too scared to ask :P
    edited October 2022
    lolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    tilly said:

Thanks for checking that out, @elminster. :) I didn't think there was a limit in-game. (I still gave the tome of intelligence to Imoen, though!)

I'm wondering if this is something they've fixed in BG:EE. It's not a huge thing, but I could understand if they limited spell levels by intelligence scores.

They won't have fixed it.
    I am pretty sure the spell mechanics is the same as it was in the original game... No need to change something everybody loved. :)
    edited November 2012
    @tilly: If you are looking to create the worst spellcaster in the game, why don't you consider mage/cleric/fighter etc? Besides having not very spells, they suffer from having even lower levels than normal multiclasses. But I guess they are rather versatile.. :)

Edit: Oh, and I checked, multiclassed mages can't get level 5 spells in Baldur's gate 1.. http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts (XP cap for entire character is 161000)
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    Is that the same for Wisdom and Cleric spells? I remembered in the BG2 manuel a quote saying the level 6 ans 7 spells for Cleric need 17 and 18 wisdoms.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Menthro said:

Whelp, I stand corrected. Thanks for it!

Whelp? Bit rude...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Pluc082 said:

Is that the same for Wisdom and Cleric spells? I remembered in the BG2 manuel a quote saying the level 6 ans 7 spells for Cleric need 17 and 18 wisdoms.

No you don't. You can get level 7 spells as a cleric/druid with only 9 wisdom. While we are on the same topic you won't suffer from spell failures with a low wisdom either.

Greater wisdom just gives greater lore and more spells for druids/clerics.
    lolien
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Pluc082 said:

No, for Clerics, they can get quite a few bonus spells for having high wisdom, see:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Wisdom

Given the amount of Wisdom-increasing tomes in the game, its quite possible for your Cleric/Druid to get lots of bonus spells
    elminsterDogmatixlolien
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245

@salieri, "whelp" is a a version of "well" used as an interjection in some American dialects of English.

EDIT: You actually hear it in one of the Icewind Dale character voice sets: "Whelp, it looks like I'm gonna have to go on a killing spree."

Really? Is that borne out by the subtitling? I always heard it simply as 'well'. Still, it seems a strange word to use considering how easily it can be mistaken for a pejorative.
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80

No, for Clerics, they can get quite a few bonus spells for having high wisdom, see:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Wisdom

Given the amount of Wisdom-increasing tomes in the game, its quite possible for your Cleric/Druid to get lots of bonus spells

Nice this website thanks!
    [Deleted User]booinyoureyes
    edited October 2022
    booinyoureyesReadingRambololien
    edited November 2012
    salieri said:

@salieri, "whelp" is a a version of "well" used as an interjection in some American dialects of English.

EDIT: You actually hear it in one of the Icewind Dale character voice sets: "Whelp, it looks like I'm gonna have to go on a killing spree."

Really? Is that borne out by the subtitling? I always heard it simply as 'well'. Still, it seems a strange word to use considering how easily it can be mistaken for a pejorative.
    I apologize, I will remove this word from my vocabulary as soon as possible! But seriously, it wasn't meant to refer to anyone as a small dog or puppy. Trust me.

Fredjo
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    I really wish they would have implemented this feature in BG:EE. Right now, as it stands, Intelligence is not a very important ability to max out for Mages, seeing as u can drink potions of genius when learning spells for 100% success rate.
    Oxford_Guy
    edited October 2022
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I really wish they would have implemented this feature in BG:EE. Right now, as it stands, Intelligence is not a very important ability to max out for Mages, seeing as u can drink potions of genius when learning spells for 100% success rate.

I agree in theory, though this might cause game balance issues with the current stats for arcane-casting NPCs, so would require substantial testing and possibly modification of Int stats for arcane-casting NPCs. Also, would this affect Bards too?
    @tilly

Now I'm just terrified of typing anymore in case I use another word that seems off....
    edited October 2022
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2012

I agree in theory, though this might cause game balance issues with the current stats for arcane-casting NPCs, so would require substantial testing and possibly modification of Int stats for arcane-casting NPCs. Also, would this affect Bards too?
    Haven't really thought about bards, since i never play them. But if a fighter with 18/00 is SUBSTANTIALLY better than a fighter with 14 str, i don't think a mage with 18 int should be almost the same as one with 14 int. It would also give a bit more depth to the Tome of intelligence found in BG1, since Imoen might need it the most in order to cast lvl 9 spells later on.

My suggestion would be to keep Intelligence as it is right now for Easy and Normal difficulties, but change it to how it is in D&D tables from Core Rules and upward, with the bolded warning in the description that you will not be able to cast level 9 spells with 18 starting intelligence!
    Menthro