Skip to content

Creating a multiplayer party

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Sevrence said:

@LordsDarkKnight185 @elminster
    (and wtf is up with my pic anyway or does everyone start with that lol)

:P yes, that weird thing is a default until you upload an image of your own (and you get another useless forum badge for uploading one too :P )
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    @elminster

Can you show me how to link a pic in the thread? I just got the wierdest glitch after making a new character in BGT.

My Level 1 Undead Hunter (Human/Paladin Set) started with 28/28 hp for some reason...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    @Ascerion

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/161/how-to-format-your-posts/p1

Follow the instructions on this link. Or just copy the line beneath this paragraph onto your post and put an < at the start of it (I can't otherwise it won't appear properly). You'll then put the website link in between the quotation marks (getting rid of the instructions in them now in the process).

img src="full link to your image">

• SevrenceSevrence Member Posts: 12

Sevrence said:

:P yes, that weird thing is a default until you upload an image of your own (and you get another useless forum badge for uploading one too :P )
    I was kinda hoping as you post enough and 'level up' your forum account... ya know like hitting 50 posts or 100 etc etc.. that you would unlock BG picture packs or something to use as your pic...Well it woulda been a cool idea... I know I know, a quick google search will show thousands of BG pics I could use lol....Also im surprised the default pic isnt something from BG.. like the skull /w red eyes up top etc.

elminsterLordsDarkKnight185
    edited November 2012
    The pictures you can find on google might actually be too small for the large size. They changed the sizes for BGEE.
    Large Portrait should be 210x330 in size.
    Likewise Medium: 169x266
    and Small: 54x84
    edited November 2012
    Sevrence said:

Sevrence said:

I was kinda hoping as you post enough and 'level up' your forum account... ya know like hitting 50 posts or 100 etc etc.. that you would unlock BG picture packs or something to use as your pic...Well it woulda been a cool idea... I know I know, a quick google search will show thousands of BG pics I could use lol....Also im surprised the default pic isnt something from BG.. like the skull /w red eyes up top etc.

Im happier with my pic though :P (Its the yet unknown paladin of helm from "the guardian" Troy Dennings next realms book set to come out in 2013/2014 )
    Here's the pic:

edited November 2012
    @Ascerion

You should change your biography to include "and he ate a LOT of vitamins growing up"
    LordsDarkKnight185MERLANCE
    Otherwise I'm guessing you have some kind of mod that changed that. Do you just have BGT installed or so you have anything else?
    No, just BGT! I'm as baffled as you are!

My guess is (since he is a warrior class) he SHOULD have had 14 hp.

Somehow, it was doubled, as if he had begun at level 2 with a full hp roll.

elminster said:

Is that why portraits look so small on the side bar in screenshots, because you can use bigger portraits now, and they cannot redo old ones?
    edited November 2012

elminster said:

Is that why portraits look so small on the side bar in screenshots, because you can use bigger portraits now, and they cannot redo old ones?
    Very likely yes. I normally play the game at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 (or whatever that resolution is) depending on the computer so I'm not entirely sure how the UI handled resolution changes in BG2.
    LordsDarkKnight185
    My Paladin after killing Firebead now has 42 HP and has not yet left Candlekeep.

This is hilarious. I'm gonna keep a save of this guy, it HAS to be a glitch.
    elminster
  • howtofightaraptorhowtofightaraptor Member Posts: 23
    Hey everyone! I live in Melbourne, have started a new YT channel and was wondering if anyone wanted to do a multiplayer playthrough to upload! Totally for the story, for the laughs, and to see how quickly we die. Preferably someone with evenings free, and a decent microphone. Take a look at the intro video!

Msg me on forums or at luke.g.ingle at gmail dot com

Buttkicking for goodness!
    elminsterLordsDarkKnight185Miahkai
    edited November 2012
    Miahkai said:

So out of curiosity, for group A how much in-character are we going to be, should I be taking the time to write up a background and personality for my Wild Mage?

The first thing to know about elminster is he may not always tell the truth. I do my best but sometimes creativity just strikes.

Behold, me being really bored and not being able to sleep, thus leaving me to take a small part of the original games druid background, and coming up with what will probably serve as my background. Other than revealing the name of your foster father, his class, and starting location it is spoiler free from a plot standpoint. At least two of these things you find out in the intro video (and the third at some point in the tutorial area I suppose).

[spoiler]

"Growing up in range of the sounds of the sea crashing up against the rocks of the Sword Coast, you have always been drawn to your foster fathers tales of the unspoiled wilderness that lay outside Candlekeep's barred gates. Your discovery of more than a few flowers pressed between long forgotten tomes in Candlekeep's vast library has, over the course of your childhood, only made you yearn to explore the realms for yourself.

Your origins steeped in mystery. Though your foster father Gorion, himself a mage of considerable power, raised you, you have no memory of either of your parents. He has told you that he was friends of your half-elf mother, who, while alive, resided somewhere north of Silverymoon. Beyond this you know nothing of her, and apart from an understanding that your father was himself a half-elf you have learned nothing of him.

Though as a boy Gorion encouraged you to learn of nature's magic through the teachings of Silvanus, Forest Father and god of druids, in the last few years your interests have turned towards finding another god who respects your unique heritage. Guiding your decision was a terrible secret revealed to you at a young age. You were born cursed as a lyncanthrope, specifically a Werewolf, and though you can control your transformations this knowledge has changed your view of the universe. Though you have not sure which of your parents gave you the curse, having read of other lyncanthrope in the tomes of Candlekeep your interests in finding more of your people has only grown as you've gotten older. You hope that in time you will find both the funds and the companions needed to safely travel the realms in search of a clan to call home. "

[spoiler]
    Post edited by elminster on
    Shameful bump.

There seems to have been a lot of activity on the forums this morning (well, morning in north america) and I wanted out thread here to stay out of the second page.
  • MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    Looks good Elminster, but it does raise a question to me, in a MP game do we all get the special benefits of being Charname or is it just whoever is chosen as the main char?
    Miahkai said:

Looks good Elminster, but it does raise a question to me, in a MP game do we all get the special benefits of being Charname or is it just whoever is chosen as the main char?

I guess we will find out :)
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    Sevrence said:

Yea I figured some of it was old info when I was reading it. Still, it helped refresh a lot of things seeing as its been years since I played through either of the games. Also been reading through the new manuals... But no matter how much info I get, I'm still gonna need a lot of time deciding on a character when I load up the game lol.

Anyway, If I'm not mistaken, we've got enough people for the second party.

Eyeofthegoat
    Kansasbarbarian
    paladin
    xzeulon
    Randyroo

and me.

Xzeulon hasn't made another post since his first one above, but I'm sure he's still interested, along with the rest of you, I hope! lol

Looks good! I have a ventrilo server we can all chat on (those who don't have mics can always listen). If you're unfamiliar, it's a free voip software that people use for gaming. www.ventrilo.com If you're not comfortable you don't have to do that, either. I'll send out a message to everyone closer to the release so we can plan a time!
    edited November 2012
    @eyeofthegoat

Yea I was just thinking we'd need to message people directly. This thread was moving pretty quick yesterday and some of the posts got buried, was starting to doubt if everyone in our party saw them. Would have helped if I used @ before, towards everyone in the group, especially in the post you just quoted.
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    Sevrence said:

@eyeofthegoat

Yea I was just thinking we'd need to message people directly. This thread was moving pretty quick yesterday and some of the posts got buried, was starting to doubt if everyone in our party saw them. Would have helped if I used @ before, towards everyone in the group, especially in the post you just quoted.

It shall be done.
    And come to think of it, Randyroo and Xzeulon never really confirmed anything, just came here and said they were interested.. and I just popped them into the party.. hopefully they haven't found another group or something..

Either way, when the game launches I'm sure more and more people will be looking for groups.

Also the vent thing is a good idea. I unfortunately don't have a mic but I'll listen in.
    This applies to either party, I just read it in the manual and I'm assuming it is right. Keep in mind if you are planning to use a portrait that you found online all players playing in your game need to have their own copies of that portrait (stored in the proper location) otherwise they will just get a big question mark where their portrait would normally be.
  • XzeulonXzeulon Member Posts: 10
    i'm still down to do this. how is multiplayer going to work in this game?
    edited November 2012
    Until they get any kind of matchmaking system up it sounds like we are going to have to go the ol TCP/IP. Long story short is that you have to know what the IP address of the host is before you can join. Its not ideal and very antiquated IMO, but they have a matchmaking system in the works that will come in the form of a post-release patch (I'm not sure on when).

http://www.beamdog.com/files/bgee/BGManual1.pdf

Go to page 71 of this PDF (71 in the manual itself or alternatively you can search for "multiplayer") and it will give you an idea.
    ahh really? I just assumed the matchmaking system would be ready to go at start... I never did multiplayer because of the old TCP/IP system.... I was young and that was confusing for me back then lol.

• BulBul Member Posts: 18
    Hi, new to the forums, long time fan of bg, if you guys find yourself needing another to adventure with Im down. Generaly like to play tankier chars like pals and fighters, and love playing dwarfs, but Ill play just about anything needed.
    edited November 2012
    Sevrence said:

ahh really? I just assumed the matchmaking system would be ready to go at start... I never did multiplayer because of the old TCP/IP system.... I was young and that was confusing for me back then lol.

My understanding is it is coming in a post-release patch. I'm sure one of the developers will have commented on it somewhere, but I just haven't bothered to look into it much lol.

Nov 24 tweet by Trent Oster

"At launch, multiplayer is Beta. It still requires direct connection via IP address. We plan to update aggressively"
    edited November 2012
    @elminster

Are you still awake, too?

Too excited to sleep....playing PS:T at the moment.

Just updated my journal.