Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights

fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
It's definitely one of my favourite games, and it was inspired by the Baldur's Gate series. Originally, I think there was talk of being able to import your character into NWN, but this idea was later scrapped. This trailer came with BG 2 SoA, and I remember years back thinking about how awesome it looked, and dying for it to come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3pclUiro-4

Notice how the music is the Icewind Dale theme as well, which I thought was a fantastic song. While the graphics may be dated by today's standards, I think it is still a great game, and wish there were more people online playing. I've recently thought of picking up a copy of NWN 2 as well.

I also wanted to talk about the battle music for the final boss of Neverwinter Nights in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion. I think it's a gem that's probably even missed often by people who have played the game for years. I only heard it because I was toying around making my own player world in the editor, and came across it after fooling around for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiVI9do4O0&feature=relmfu

Care to share any thoughts on the game, or experiences?

Comments

• eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I can't say much for single player. I don't think I've ever got past level 5 in single player, or more than 10 minutes in any of the expansions... but I must've spent at least 5 years online playing on heavy role-playing servers. Most of it was on Avlis. I do not think there's ever been an online game that held my interest for so long.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    ekster said:

I can't say much for single player. I don't think I've ever got past level 5 in single player, or more than 10 minutes in any of the expansions... but I must've spent at least 5 years online playing on heavy role-playing servers. Most of it was on Avlis. I do not think there's ever been an online game that held my interest for so long.

That was exactly like my experience. The campaigns were not all that interesting, but the multiplayer was fantastic, whether they be roleplay, action based, or arena. I frequented a lot of servers based on games, such as Diablo I and II, Final Fantasy IV and X, and the .hack series. I also liked a server based on the Dragonlance series, another that was purely arena called Antiworld, and a few other RP servers. Good times.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited October 2012
    Yes it´s the best game in history when it´s come to modding and nothing can beat it hahaha. Come and fight me about this.... dont even try:D for my experience... i have more then a gigabyte of content developed/modded/created from scratch for it since 2005/2006
    Here´s my little blog for nwn
    http://diademus.blogspot.de/
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I'd say the best RPG game for modding. :p
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr i think i cant argue with people like you about it because i have no attack for you then;) Whenever i hear NWN i got pretty heated and my bad temper arises...
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited October 2012
    I've had such good times in custom and vanilla NWN servers that I respect it almost more than I do the Baldur's Gate series. The multiplayer and co-op was just so ahead of its time.

*hails from Mad Dog Fargo's server series*
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    The thing I remember most about NWN was thinking how desperately long it took to come out (after ToB), I was a bit suspicious about this however so I checked on wikipedia. All the games I remember as taking ages to come out actually only came out a year after their predecessors except Thief2 which was 2 years, the maturation period of true greatness.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Too bad that NWN1 hasn't spell animation like the one that we see at the end of the first video
    ehm... every spell in nwn has one or many more animations, what specific spell are you refering to @Seldar
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Some of the fan made NWN modules I played are the best CRPG experience I ever had.
    As I said in the other topic - judging it by the original campagins is pointless, it's not what the game is about...
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    @NWN_babaYaga => I refer to the last one in the video, I have never seen it in NWN, it must be something like "Strength of One"

And Magic Missiles are red, they were blue in the final game.

This video was with BG2 so the game wasn't released yet, it seems they have delete these effects
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Seldar, yes, I also noticed that the spell effects in that promo video resembled the well-known Baldur's Gate spell effects, and that the final product as released had spell effects that were a bit less sharp than that. I've always wished that NWN had spell effects that were as sharp and bright as the BG ones, especially the magic missile spells.

Imagine how awesome an Isaac's Greater Storm would look if all the missiles were shiny, bright red with halos, like in BG.

I've always wondered how the Infinity Engine was able to animate magic missiles that looked like photon torpedoes from a Star Trek movie, and yet the supposedly more advanced Aurora Engine could only make them look like relatively dull snowballs.

For some reason, much as I love NWN, I have noticed that the Infinity Engine produces sharper spell effects. Something about the lighting contrasts within the spell energy makes the IE versions jump out of the screen, almost in 3-D, while the Aurora versions sit there on the canvas with dullness.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    I disagree with the comment that NWN was inspired by Baldur's Gate. Other than using D&D rules, NWN was a different type of game, different not in a good way. The toolset was IMO the best part about NWN.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    I really liked spell effects in NWN, except the fire.(It looked more like orange mist than actual fire)
    They made the "big" spells relly feal grand and world-changing. (Heal, harm, wail of the banshee, power words for example).
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    I really like this game, I've played NWN for many years with friends, as a matter of fact I'm still playing it. Yesterday we had a nice Eye of the beholder session with the 3 of us, a rogue (me), dwarven fighter and an human cleric/monk.

My favorite modules are Aielund saga (played it from start to finish with a shapeshifter, assassin and bard in multiplayer) and Prophet series (play that with rogue, wizard, fighter and cleric in multiplayer). And I can recommend those to anyone.
  • MaviarabMaviarab Member Posts: 7
    I loved this game...but primarily for the persistent worlds. Played for over 6 years. The single player campaign was for me a little 'meh'...but online..as others have said, longest any game has held my interest, though with many 'online' games a lot of that is down the the people.

Played on Gemstone for 5 years...will always hold a special place for me. Must install it again sometime...
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2012

I disagree with the comment that NWN was inspired by Baldur's Gate. Other than using D&D rules, NWN was a different type of game, different not in a good way. The toolset was IMO the best part about NWN.

It's hard disagreeing with you because I love Commander Riker lol.

There are definitely some major differences too. The trailer makes me think of Baldur's Gate, but that could just be because it came with BG II, so who knows lol.
    Seldar said:

@NWN_babaYaga => I refer to the last one in the video, I have never seen it in NWN, it must be something like "Strength of One"

And Magic Missiles are red, they were blue in the final game.

This video was with BG2 so the game wasn't released yet, it seems they have delete these effects

I always figured it was the animation for Bull's Strength, it caught my eye too. I think some of those animations in the trailer looked fantastic, and the character sprites reminded me a bit of Fable originally, whereas they were changed later on imo to look a bit underwhelming.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Hi, friends, I just started a new NWN2 run.

I just learned something about the infamously bad NWN2 camera controls.

I found a way to very nearly duplicate an isometric, BG-like viewing experience.

Put the camera into exploration mode. Put the mouse edge-turning sliders all the way down to slowest speed.

This is the important part: *GO TO MAXIMUM ZOOM OUT* !

Set this way, you get a view very much like BG, only you have a 360 degree rotational camera.

Doing this, I've discovered, gets rid of the headache-causing, seasickness-causing, motion-sickness-causing, all-over-the-damn-place-at-light-speed camera issues, and allows you to have a more BG-like experience. I hope maybe this advice will make the game playable to some people who might enjoy it while waiting for BG:EE, and who were turned off from really giving it a chance by the horrible camera controls.

Neeshka, Khelgar, Elanee, Sand, Qara, Bishop, Zhavae, and the rest of the cast are really a very good, BG-worthy cast of characters, worth getting to know, if only you can get around that awful camera.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    HoU has to be one of the best campaigns i have ever played. The others were mixed at best though.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237

Hi, friends, I just started a new NWN2 run.

I just learned something about the infamously bad NWN2 camera controls.

I found a way to very nearly duplicate an isometric, BG-like viewing experience.

Put the camera into exploration mode. Put the mouse edge-turning sliders all the way down to slowest speed.

This is the important part: *GO TO MAXIMUM ZOOM OUT* !

Set this way, you get a view very much like BG, only you have a 360 degree rotational camera.

Doing this, I've discovered, gets rid of the headache-causing, seasickness-causing, motion-sickness-causing, all-over-the-damn-place-at-light-speed camera issues, and allows you to have a more BG-like experience. I hope maybe this advice will make the game playable to some people who might enjoy it while waiting for BG:EE, and who were turned off from really giving it a chance by the horrible camera controls.

Neeshka, Khelgar, Elanee, Sand, Qara, Bishop, Zhavae, and the rest of the cast are really a very good, BG-worthy cast of characters, worth getting to know, if only you can get around that awful camera.

I'll give that camera trick a try as i too suffer from nausea, dizziness and frustration at the camera set-up of NWN2.

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    edited November 2012
    It's' a great game, I'm still playing around with the toolset, making a few single-player adventures for fun.
    I was playing recently on "higher grounds" server.

Never got through the official campaign though. The toolset is so much fun.

NWN2 on the other hand, annoys me very much, and the toolset is not as easy to use as Aurora.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The Icewind Dale theme is so AWESOME!! IMO one of the best themes in all the IE games ( along with Bg1 theme )
  • BrightNightBrightNight Member Posts: 36
    I bought it when it came out but never really finished it for some reason. This year i finished it and played Shadow of Undrentide after the original campaign. Right now im kicking drow elf arse while playing Hordes of the Underdark! ....im a completist and HAVE to finish all these games. :-)

Great games and i have to say they still hold up for todays standards.
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2012
    Don't see why I didn't drop my comment here earlier..
    But I've always been a huge Neverwinter Nights fan! Absolutely loved both of the games, though their expansions have been rather disappointing in my opinion. I enjoyed the Original campaigns and multiplayer Persistant Worlds very much instead!

Now don't jump at my neck straight away; I never gave NWN1's expansions a proper chance. Never even put more than two hours into them total.

NWN2 is another deal though. Gave MotB a good few hours, only to be disappointed by more than a few things, and I did play through SoZ with a friend. Now, I won't go into MotB, but SoZ was a very pleasant experience once we got to the Sword Coast and even though it felt a bit "cheap", I must admit that I enjoyed the trip.

And this new Neverwinter MMO coming? Well, it makes me sad. Everything 4th edition does. But I guess I'll give it a try.

EDIT: My largest problem with MotB and HotU was probably the fact that I absolutely hate epic levels in D&D. I mean, when we go over that magical 12 - 15 in 3.5, things just get "meh".
    Post edited by Sily on
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I was a late joiner of Neverwinter Nights, having purchased it just a few months ago on GoG. I played about 10 minutes of the campaign and got bored. Then I tried to find a multiplayer game but either no one was on at the time or I had no idea what I was doing. Or both.

Then I tried to re-create the first two sessions of my IRL D&D game in the toolkit. And it was fabulous, the toolkit is wonderful. Until I had to code something, then I cried and hid in my attic for a few hours.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Witch's Wake, the greatest regret of a never finished official module that was as epic as PS:T.