Skip to content

Your Favorite Beer Thread!

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    Badmass said:

I don't recall the name but I had this amazing CRAZY sour cherry beer a few years back at the ole pub.

Delirium Red?
  • gdubbs66gdubbs66 Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    sorry...didn't realize my first comment went through
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

lordkim said:

show us !!

It's already gone ... but I posted a pic of the bottle in this very page of this thread, just scroll upward ;)
    you drunk !! The chimay is a good one also ;)
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    @gdubbs66 - I have the name down in my work email. I'll have to dredge it up when I get the chance.
    Oh and on top of said cherry mystery beer Seadogs Bluepaw blueberry wheat is a favorite of mine from my time in Maine.
    cool cool...I'm trying to compile a list of beers to try for when I go back to the States, and I plan on making a trip to the East Coast when I return to the States so if I can find it, I would certainly be interested in trying it.
    my roommate from grad school said he tried it while he was doing an internship in Maine and said he liked it too. I am interested in cherry wheat beers, but I am cautious on berries after a bad experience during college with Berryweise from Leinkugel Brewing Company...
    @gdubbs66 - If you ever find yourself near Brunswick, Maine be sure to stop by the Lion's Pride Pub, Seadog's Brewery, and Shipyard Ale Brewery. Good places with great beers. Plenty of great micro-breweries and wineries in the Finger Lakes region of New York as well. Two of my regions on the East Coast.
    @gdubbs66 - If my memory serves the name Cuvee des Jacobins comes to mind for that sour cherry.
    @Badmass- thanks for the info. If you ever hit the Wisconsin/Illinois/Iowa/Michigan areas here's what I suggest: Two Brothers Brewing Company (IL), The Grumpy Troll (local microbrew in Mt. Horeb, WI), Millstream Brewing Company (IA, their wheat is awesome), Keweenaw Brewing Company (MI), Bell's Brewery (MI), Leinekugel Brewing Company (WI), and New Glarius Brewing Company (WI).

I may have to see if I can find that Cuvee des Jacobins somewhere before I leave this part of the world...though oddly it sounds like a wine I saw in the store earlier today.
  • LilsLils Member Posts: 2
    One of my favourite's is 1664 out of France, Alexander Keith's IPA and Steam Whistle out of Toronto. Had some good local stuff in a pub in Oxford, but can't remember what it was called (the ale or the pub).
    I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada as a reference point.
    all of you are making me jealous :P...a lack of good beer is definitely a downfall of living in a predominantly Muslim region of the world :(
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited November 2012
    On my last post here, I forgot to list one of the most wonderful Stouts on this earth: Dragonhead. Now there's something divine from Englaland again.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/118/5781

However, I wouldn't drink Dragonhead without good Meat or fish. Even beef jerky would do.

EDIT: Oh snap, I did mention it in my last post a few pages back, but... I hope that'll be forgiven!
    @Sily - NICE!!
    @gdubbs66 - You too huh? Just pulled in from a very dry 44 days out to sea and now in Dubai! Sadly stuck on the ship for the first day here... Alas. Beer will be had tomorrow!
    @Badmass - Luckily I am connected to a lot of Christian communities so there is actual beer, but the variety is limited. I have to wait until July 2013 to experience a variety of beers. In the mean time, I need to explore my choices of wine. Wine is very cheap here in Palestine, as I am currently drinking a bottle of 35 NIS wine ($8.25 or so) that is from Australia and probably would cost $25 in the States. I am a homebrewer and beer lover though, so wine does not always satisfy my tastes :(
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    gdubbs66 said:

@Krypteia -hmmm, I may have to try that Czech Budweiser since we get it here down in Palestine. When I am back home in the United States, I usually avoided the US Budweiser unless I was using it to make beer brats, but I'll take you up on your advice since there is only one Palestinian beer in existence (Taybeh). I can get the Czech stuff for about 10 NIS (roughly $2.50, sorry I don't know the conversion to Euros) per 500 ml bottle.

That's not bad at all, price-wise. Then again, my barometer for "overly expensive" was set during the time I was working in Switzerland, where it could easily cost up to $12 for a beer in a bar. I felt really sorry for my American co-workers, as the dollar and Swiss franc were worth pretty much the same on the exchange rates at the time...but a dollar in America went far, far further than a franc in Switzerland.

How is Taybeh beer?
  • SlashneedSlashneed Member Posts: 6
    Some friends and I had a little beer-tasting evening yesterday, where we tried out 5 beers, 3 of them being more winter/christmas-oriented. We tried: Jòlabjór (icelandic dark lager, really meaty), Hibernation Ale (dark, dark, DARK ale. Really good though, but heavy), Landsorts Lager (Swedish light lager, it was good to have a lighter one in between the heavies), Liefmans Glühkriek (gigantic cherry-beer, belgian I believe. Tasted better than I thought it would, strong cherry taste, but not in a "OMG-cider-what-is-this-shit kinda way) and Sigtuna Midvinterblot (another Swedish one, this one a porter, super dark but really tasty!).

Love beer!
  • SlashneedSlashneed Member Posts: 6
    Badmass said:

I don't recall the name but I had this amazing CRAZY sour cherry beer a few years back at the ole pub. Say what you want about fruity beers but this thing would knock you on your arse.

I think I've had that one as well. A friend of mine gave me a bunch of beers for my birthday this year and one of them was a bastard sour cherry beer... One of those that tastes better going up than down! ;p

edited November 2012
    Well im ready Guys & Dolls . Are you ?????

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    There is nothing like a good beer for special occasions!!!
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2012
    Innis & Gunn: My favorite is the Original, but I don't mind the Rum Finish every now and again. I've not tried the Whiskey version.

Edit: And I couldn't be ready like that - I'm at work, and we have a policy against booze in the workplace :(. I don't think there is a policy about playing video games at work though. I'm going to see if I can change that today.
  • SublimeBWSublimeBW Member Posts: 42
    I too am a fan of Belgian Wheats. I normally pick up a different one every Sunday when my friends get together and cook out as a group (yes we do it every week). A few that I enjoy in no particular order

-Hoegaarden (the kid in my loves it because it is fun to say)
    -Bell's Oberon (local MI beer, nearly identical to Blue Moon)
    -Goose Island's 312 (I believe this is a Chicago made beer)
    -Frankenmuth Hefeweizen (another local MI beer with banana undertone)
  • CuriouslyCuriousCuriouslyCurious Member Posts: 13
    I'm fond of the range of the 'Wychwood Brewery' beers, they all have interesting themed names like 'Hobgoblin' ale with Grimm's fairytales-esque bottle labels and range from really dark and gritty brews to blonde beers and pale and slightly fruity ales. They have them in the states (usually at Aldi) as well as in the UK, worth checking out!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    Just bought a bottle of Gouden Carolus Christmas...
  • Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
    You guys suck, I'm stuck with the basics here. What I drink on a daily basis though, Killian's Red. I love that stuff.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I tried this week a Japaneese beer 'Asahi', it was nice. but since I started with the Belgian 8%+ beers, nothing is the same..

• valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    Weird discussion..
    It's like having a 8% stamp on a bottle makes it beaming to other planes easier than a regularly beer.

Ppl in other countries might have the tendency to think so, but I swear, that I can get everybody of them down with German beer. It's not the alcohol stamp...it's the original wort, that makes up a good beer.
    Even if my favorite one is only 4.8; I can guarantee you, you'dnt stand against me; nor would 'your' 8% satisfy me.

Good example of stuff that calls itself beer 'd be 'Heineken' or 'Budweiser' (NOT the czech one)..it's like drinking water. Same applies for having a very good ol' 'special x-mas' or 'October-fest-beer' .. they do have "real" 7-8%..but you wish for on your next day, you never have tried them.

But then again, am from germany, beer is a natural by-product....you won't even getting drunken from.
    Post edited by valky on
    Think im gonna bump this one.. We are entering december , meaning christmas = christmas beers !!

This one is from Denmark, but ill guess some other countries have it to :P

Cheers