Skip to content

"The magic pre-sales number is above all our targets"

Sounds like great news to me:

@TrentOster So how is that magic sales number? Have we met the expectation in a flurry of last minute sales? #bgee

@Shakesbeery The magic pre-sales number is above all our targets. If we can survive the demand it will be awesome.
lordkimswnmcmlxiOxford_GuyKirinaldoTanthalasThe_New_RomancesmallerPaladinFentonCuv

Comments

• gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Indeed!
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    Happy to hear. It's been a rough few months, I bet.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mungri said:

Good news, hopefully this means that one day we will have a new BG3 in the same style as the first two.

Indeed, though hope they get BG2EE under their belt first...
    elminsterpatbakerValchist
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    Great news indeed. I really hope this sends a message to big companies that there's demand for games like these. Games that are not railroaded interactive movies, but instead offer us a large open world to explore.
    EnialusMeliamneGloktaValchist
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Great news indeed! I would buy another couple of copies of BG:EE to give to friends, if it would mean speeding up the BG2:EE process. I would absolutely love if it would be released by this summer. Imo it should take a shorter amount of time than the first, seeing as you already laid the groundwork and fixed the code etc.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012

Mungri said:

Good news, hopefully this means that one day we will have a new BG3 in the same style as the first two.

Indeed, though hope they get BG2EE under their belt first...
    After BG2EE of course.... well, unless the two EE's are so successful that EA does a hostile takeover :(
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The renaissance has dawned. :)
    MedullaOblongata
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Mungri I think that Trent Oster doesn't like EA much (as per his twitter) so I would think that he wouldn't let this happen to his company, and if it did he would bail.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Good news everybody! Congrats to the team at Overhaul, and congrats to us fans, because we will soon be feasting, it's because of our demand this is made possible, so we shall eat hearty!
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    We are revitalizing the isometric party-based RPG market, gentlemen! Let us raise our cups and celebrate, for this is only the begining!
    ValchistCleave
  • patbakerpatbaker Member Posts: 21
    I luv it bgee2 next, good job overhaul games
  • DarkShrikeDarkShrike Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Huzzah! Glad to hear that presales have blown past their expectations. Just imagine how much better that may be once it becomes available for purchase on all the planned platforms!

I know I already purchased the PC version but I will be making another purchase for my iPad for workday lunchtime fun - as soon as I can :)
    EnialusMeliamne
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2012

EA won't take us over.
    I've seen that road. I don't like where it leads.

-Trent

Trent,

I cannot like/agree with your views on EA and similar other gaming companies enough!

Major congrats to you and all of your peers on what appears to be a successful release for a great game! I am very excited to play it tomorrow! I have not been this excited for a release in years. Like many others in the BG:EE community, I literally grew up playing BG, so replaying the enhanced version will (sounds really lame) be an emotionally powerful and nostalgic experience for me. Thank you for giving us the chance to play such a great game as if it was our first time again =].

I look forward to what is next as well!
    EnialusMeliamnedrsahlMedullaOblongataFlashburn
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    I wish the Overhaul team all the best!
    Have quite a high hope for many goodies from these guys, really looking forwards to BG2:EE and beyond! :)
    CoryNewb
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    Congrats guys. It must be nerve-wracking to invest so much time and effort into something and then push it out into the world. Good to hear that it's doing well!
    CoryNewbValchist
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335

EA won't take us over.
    -Trent

Cheers!
    CoryNewbMedullaOblongata
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Yay! Long live Baldur's Gate and Overhaul!
    CoryNewb
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Only once before was so much owed by so many to so few.

(I may just have exaggerated a little. But not much :)
    MERLANCE
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    Great news! Hopefully it really takes off once it is released on all platforms and makes Atari realize they can do more with the D&D license than brain dead console titles & MMO's.

This is the first time I've been this optimistic about finally getting BG3 (one that is done right) since Project Jefferson was canceled.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Mythago said:

Great news indeed. I really hope this sends a message to big companies that there's demand for games like these.

I really, really hope it does not. I really hope that Beamdog on this project, attract enough attention and business to be viable and prosper (to the point of potentially being able to embark itself on a BG3), but not enough attention so that the the vultures start circling.

Baldur's Gate is a complex game, even as a veteran player I learn something new about rules and gameplay all the time. It requires some intellectual efforts, and the will (and time) to invest such efforts (for a unique reward in terms of gameplay). This simply cannot apply to the greater number of gamers, it is restricted to a small community. Anyone making a business out of this game MUST always compromise between quality/complexity on the one hand, and profits on the other. It requires, how shall I say, an ethos - almost in aristocratic terms. If growth and volume was the main driver, then quality would plummet and the game would be gone.

The best thing that could happen would be if big gaming corporations realized that this is not a game for them, that their business model cannot sustain it. Because the sales are too limited and the community too small, because the in-depth details is what matters. That would also help Beamdog in their future IPR/contracts negotiations, I would guess.
    The_New_Romance
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    This truly is a new era for the hardcore RPG! Woot!
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127

EA won't take us over.

-Trent

I'll place this on my wall. All the best for you guys!
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    I'm happy to hear the wonderful news. Now about that BG2 EE to get started on so I can have my multi playthoughs of characters unleashed into that game.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Wait, above all their targets? Does this mean that the PC version alone, in pre-sales, went over the final expected targets of all platforms it'll be available? :O
  • Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

Wait, above all their targets? Does this mean that the PC version alone, in pre-sales, went over the final expected targets of all platforms it'll be available? :O

I think, am not sure, though, that it was above the expected pre sale targets on the pc he meant.
    mch202