Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Thanks for the guide, CamDawg. Stickied.
  • DavidianDavidian Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    I'm getting this:

As far as WeiDU can tell, you're not running any version of BG2, BGT or
    Tutu here. Please check your directory and filepaths before trying again.

Press ENTER to exit.

Is there a way to trick WeiDU or override this to attempt to force a mod to install?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Davidian said:

I'm getting this:

Press ENTER to exit.

Is there a way to trick WeiDU so that I can actually test mods with this check?

Is this coming from a particular mod? More than likely it has a GAME_IS check, which won't be able to identify BGEE.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Managed to get Shadowkeeper working by similarly linking (using mklink /J) the main directory and the new save directory location. Might be an easier way still though.
  • DavidianDavidian Member Posts: 4
    CamDawg said:

Davidian said:

I'm getting this:

Press ENTER to exit.

Is there a way to trick WeiDU so that I can actually test mods with this check?

Is this coming from a particular mod? More than likely it has a GAME_IS check, which won't be able to identify BGEE.
    Specifically trying to get Level 1 NPCs working. I was able to get the primary component to install by commenting out the REQUIRE_PREDICATE line, but for the rest of it (optional components), results are a bit varied. I guess I can use Shadowkeeper for whatever decides not to actually work. I didn't realize how dependent I've become to specific mods till now :)
  • SableRhapsodySableRhapsody Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    For Shin, how exactly did you get Shadow Keeper working? Would you mind writing it out like the OP of this post? I am a definite noob when it comes to monkeying about with the command prompt.

EDIT: Nvm, worked it out. Google for the win :)
    Post edited by SableRhapsody on
    edited November 2012
    Just gave this a shot and had some trouble with the instructions. You have to have everything in the Data/00766 directory, not the folder that says "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" under program files XD Data/00766 is the real install directory.

Can confirm that BG1NPCs does not work with this. WeiDU boots up the mod properly, but as soon as I try to install components, it says "This mod should be installed in your BG2, Tut, EasyTutu, or BGT directory." and refers me to the debug. The WeiDU log still turns up properly so I'm assuming it's the mod.

Ashes of Embers works fine for some of the components, namely kits and sensible weapon restrictions for mods. For everything else, there seem to be files in the new chitin.key that are missing. BG2Tweaks works like a charm :)
    Post edited by SableRhapsody on
  • Hazel2eyesHazel2eyes Member Posts: 1
    Can someone make a viedo of this? I want to make sure i doing the right thing so i dont screw up my game
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    ALL I WANT TO DO IS FUCKING INSTALL FUCKING NPC PROJECT AND TWEAKS AND NEITHER ARE INSTALLING! I CAN'T GET FUCKNIG JAVA TO FREAKING OPEN AND I DON'T EVEN FUCKING KNOW HOW TO WORK FUCKING NEAR INFINITY!
    Luciphear
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    How do I make ShadowKeeper work? I tried but it didn't find the directory, Tried to find it manually but it didn't recognize it, Help please.

Also.. Such a wonderful game.
    Thank you Beamdog and overhaul for EVERYTHING.
    @Heas: see Aosaw's post toward the bottom of this thread for another way to get Shadow Keeper working. You'll have to paste the edited save back into the save folder in My Documents once you're done editing it.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6967/bgee-mod-compatibility-thread/p3

@Sren: There's no need to yell. The directions break down the steps for working Java and NI. And besides, the NPC Project doesn't even work with BGEE, not even if you use the WeiDU workaround.
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    @SableRhapsody Sorry, I was just extremely frustrated from doing what the forum post did for an hour and getting nothing but an inability to play my games withm y normal conveniences :( and I don't see anywhere in the thread about working NI or Java :/
    Step Two of the first post in this thread contains the directions for using NI. When you click on the link for NI, make sure you download the most recent .jar file, not the master zip. As for Java, you don't actually have to be able to do much with it, you just need to be able to run .jar exes. If you can't run the NI jar exe, you'll need to download Java here: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp. After the download, you should be able to run NI, and just follow the instructions from there.

Also, when the first post refers to your BGEE installation folder, you'll actually want to put everything in your BGEE/Data/00766 directory. Treat that folder like your installation directory; it's where all the actual game data is.

Can confirm that BG1NPCs does not work with this. WeiDU boots up the mod properly, but as soon as I try to install components, it says "This mod should be installed in your BG2, Tut, EasyTutu, or BGT directory." and refers me to the debug. The WeiDU log still turns up properly so I'm assuming it's the mod.

Yeah. As far as I can see this is caused by the mod having two different install modes, Tutu or BGT. You can bypass this check, but both install paths will still fail as they start looking for files that exist in Tutu/BGT but not in the EE. Can't see any workaround for this, it'll probably have to come down to a full adaptation of the install process.
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2012
    shit sorry ignore me i forgot to make an override folder lol

ok so I have a different question, you guys said when the new WEIDU is released that we'll have to undo these changes, I understand that, but what about if Beamdog release an update to the game, will it mess with the modifications also?
    Post edited by Yosharian on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Yosharian I would say so as it seems to use a destructive update method.

To be safe, it'll be better to uninstall all mods before updating.
    Yeah, I just got my BGEE install up and running and the first thing I noticed was the lack of an override folder.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    A warning/heads up: Force installing mods or making changes to your character can break your game. Before you do anything, do your own research and be prepared for the consequences:D Know what you are trying to install and why. Backup your game before making ANY changes or installing any mods.

There are plenty of published (and unpublished) modders here on the boards working fast to troubleshoot what is and is NOT compatible. Please be patient. We will post info as we discover it and help with questions.
    ancientclown
    Anyone knows where override folder should be? I tried using an edited xpcap.2da to remove cap and avoid conflicts with the coming updates, but it didn't work at all... I tried the my documents, data, and main folders and subfolders....
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but is anyone aware of a way to enable cheat keys? I miss my control-J very much already...
    The proper override position should be BG:EE\data\00766 - I placed an altered monk paperdoll bam there (can't stand the tonsure) and it showed up fine in the game.
    @sorcerer_57 It's covered in multiple threads, do a search for console or similar.
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    @shin Thank you, sorry to be a bother.
    rathburn
    @sorcerer_57 No worries, sorry if I came off as brusque. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7407/cheat-console is also a thread about this. The search function doesn't really seem to be all too attuned atm.
    edited November 2012
    All right created the xpcap.2da, placed it in bg:ee\data\00766\override but the xpcap is still in place...

2da content follows:

2DA V1.0
    VALUE
    MAGE -1
    FIGHTER -1
    CLERIC -1
    THIEF -1
    BARD -1
    PALADIN -1
    DRUID -1
    RANGER -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE -1
    FIGHTER_CLERIC -1
    FIGHTER_THIEF -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF -1
    MAGE_THIEF -1
    CLERIC_MAGE -1
    CLERIC_THIEF -1
    FIGHTER_DRUID -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC -1
    CLERIC_RANGER -1
    MONK -1
    SORCERER -1

Any ideas? DLTCEP does point to my 2da when I try to edit xpcap...
    @mlnevese Try installing the exp cap remover component of the BG2 Tweaks. It handles it a bit more thoroughly.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    @Yosharian >> November 28 (page1)

You means 'Voila!' ?
    Because 'Viola' in fench means 'he raped/she raped'. But! its also a name in french as wierd as its sound. ^^
    Retsuyama
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    quote: Once BGEE is loaded in Near Infinity, go to Edit > BIFF; select Data/Tutorial.bif under 'edit existing'. Select all the files on the left, hit the right-facing arrow in the middle, and press the save button. It should give you a small window showing six steps completed and an OK button. Hit OK and then close NI.

This is where it stops working for me. unpacking the tutorial.bif into the override folder fails, i get 'error while extracting files from data/tutorial.bif.' and it simply stops.
    Sounds like your override folder is in the wrong place--is it in the same location as chitin.key?