Skip to content

Rate BG:EE out of 10

Comments

• sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    Before last night, when I could not get the game to run without lagging, I would have given the game a 1, and would not blame anyone else who had the same problem. Now that I have played it, my initial reactions are positive. I love the quick load times and quick saves, as well as the graphics. Perhaps it is because I am not so far into the game, but I am not seeing the "over 400 improvements" yet, but we will wait to see on that. Overall, I'd say it's worth the twenty so far.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    I think once the bugs are fixed I'd raise it to an 8.5 - 9. I'm basing my score not so much on it being a standalone game as it is an addition to an already great game.

But the bugs for me have lowered my score. In my case I couldn't even play the game until I came up with a workaround that worked for me (I had to move the BGEE folder to C:/ rather than program files) and even then when I was in some areas of the game (both in the gnoll fortress and in the areas around it) the game would slow down during battles briefly.

I've had other issues that I won't get into (and I'm going to post a bug report/s probably in the next few days of them). That said the responses like "I'm never buying from Beamdog again" that you see especially on the beamdog forum I think are premature provided they fix these problems.

That said I do like that they added in new items. Yaa for an enchanted club! (and one that doesn't suck either!)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    Sorry but it's pretty darn awful.

The people voting really highly mustn't have been playing BGTutu or BG1 on a CRT monitor @ 640x480@160Hz every year since 1998 like I have been, and are probably just enjoying playing the original game without having to lift their finger and install some mods which takes 5-10 mins.

I posted my thoughts in another thread.

General jist - very positive on announcement and throughout production, but utterly disappointed on release.
    Mungri
  • foolstonefoolstone Member Posts: 37
    Although it take me some time to make it work on one of my laptop (the system language related bug).
    But after hours playing, I feel it really awesome and fun.
    The improved Journal, party circle...
    game save and load very fast, I can't even see the load screen.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sensuki said:

Sorry but it's pretty darn awful.

The people voting really highly mustn't have been playing BGTutu or BG1 on a CRT monitor @ 640x480@160Hz every year since 1998 like I have been, and are probably just enjoying playing the original game without having to lift their finger and install some mods which takes 5-10 mins.

I posted my thoughts in another thread.

General jist - very positive on announcement and throughout production, but utterly disappointed on release.

Aww, how nice of you to imply that my positive thoughts on something are clouded with ignorance and/or laziness.
    sorcerer_57
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    @Quartz there is no way at all that BGEE is worth a 10/10 against tutu or BGT. It is vastly inferior, full of more bugs, and so many of the things that were improved in those mods have been completely ignored in BGEE. You aren't being ignorant though, just over optimistic.
    Quartzpreemptiveapology
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

@Quartz there is no way at all that BGEE is worth a 10/10 against tutu or BGT. It is vastly inferior, full of more bugs, and so many of the things that were improved in those mods have been completely ignored in BGEE. You aren't being ignorant though, just over optimistic.

@Mungri

True, probably more like 9/10. 9/10 would've been my vote if I weren't feeling rebellious.

HAH! BGT and TuTu were downright painful. But we're talking about the difference between bugs and oversights ... BG:EE has more bugs currently (that will likely soon be fixed), but BGT and *especially* TuTu were chocked FULL of oversights. There's a reason I'm a BG1 Vanilla nazi. It's because of those oversights that trampled all over so many of the finer details of the original game. Overhaul worked their ass off to get rid of said oversights. I am personally more upset by lazy, mentally painful oversights than a few bugs. In developer terms, bugs will be fixed. Oversights are there to stay.

Thank you for your last sentence. I appreciate it.
    toanwrathmch202byrne20Brude
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I voted 4. I believe in its current state, it's below par.

I'm running two computers and the original BG/TotSC runs perfectly on a (rolled back WIn 7) XP computer with a dual core intel and nVidia GPU with 19" monitor. It's rock solid stable.

BGEE is running on my brand new Win 7 computer, and while it runs perfectly, the glaring bugs, debatable enhances and removal of most of the cinematics really detract from the playing experience for me. I find the Zoom reset incredibly distracting and annoying. There's a lot of issues that need to be fixed with BGEE.
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19
    I voted 2. BG:EE had the potential to be as great as the original. A shame that it wasn't in more competent hands.
  • BeverastBeverast Member Posts: 10
    Been playing it all night and it's nearly 06:00am. Suits me because I have night shift tomorrow. I won't give it a rating just yet, but so far it is giving me the same good feeling when I recently played through the Tutu version earlier this year for the first time.

My only constructive criticism is I feel that the spell/priset book text/icons are a little small compared to what you see in other sections. I am playing on a 32 inch tele...all the other menus, stats etc seem to be in proportion and very clear. I just noticed that I had to edge slightly closer to the tele to see the icons/text in the spell/priest. Not a major issue or anything...perhaps just personal preference.

Otherwise so far so good. I find the enhanced journal far easier to use, and for me keeps everything far more structured and easier to keep tabs on. I am sure with a bit of time the enhanced Baldur's Gate experience will become even better. Exciting timess...
    byrne20
    @Quartz the oversights in Tutu / BGT could be missed out in most cases. On the other hand the bugs in BGEE can't be modded out, and neither can the oversights because none of the old mods are compatible.

I'm sorry to disagree so strongly, but my 650 XP bears dissapearing on relad, and no made robes for my dual classed mage are the largest things that have spoiled the game for me, never mind the horrible new cutscenes.
    Mungri said:

@Quartz the oversights in Tutu / BGT could be missed out in most cases. On the other hand the bugs in BGEE can't be modded out, and neither can the oversights because none of the old mods are compatible.

I'm sorry to disagree so strongly, but my 650 XP bears dissapearing on relad, and no made robes for my dual classed mage are the largest things that have spoiled the game for me, never mind the horrible new cutscenes.

@Mungri It's fine dude. I understand the frustration. I also understand where you're coming from.
    Belegurth
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    I love this enhanced edition, for me the only cons are the bugs, and some of them are really annoying, they make my game crash :( ... After a patch it will be a ten

Oh, and I was a little disappointed by the new portraits, completely different from the old ones, but never mund, you could always use custom portraits!
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    While I can appreciate the team is working to overcome the initial bugs (and I have every confidence they will), my biggest complaints are the GUI (IMO not a high resolution UI. It is too blurry and things like spell icons look terrible. I was disappointed to find the main UI actually looks worse than the Tutu UI, and I have comparison screenshots to prove it), and the choice to change cut scenes from the albeit dated but still well done movies to the provided motion comics (a very poor choice IMO). BG:EE has potential, but at this time I am a bit disappointed.
  • KillorKillor Member Posts: 7
    6/10

No way to increase fps kinda made this release an anticlimax for me. I know the mechanics gets screwed at higher fps, but still I prefer at least 40. Walking around in snail speed just don't cut it for me when I know about almost every evil around every corner. Also quite a few weird bugs, like NPCs dissapearing in thin air (the guy who wants to jump from the cliff in the first area after Candlekeep), and I didn't even have the energy to snail myself to Beregost yet. Also the pathing the characters does when attacking an enemy or similar seems to be worse than in the original.

Still, it's Baldur's Gate. The music and sound in general are much easier on the ears and the atmosphere is perhaps better than ever.

Sort the pathing and fps, and I would throw in a 9/10 directly.
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    The game is awesome... Hand down. But im not happy bout the multiplayer. I have bought alot of friends to this and I was hoping for better multiplayer features. Not the same issues like it was back with BG2
  • HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    8/10

THE GOOD:
    The new companions (so far I've only met Neera and Dorn) are GREAT (interesting stories, really good voice actors!). The new cinematics are good, I really like the animation style. There are a lot of improvements that make the game more dynamic and interesting (like the new dialogue with NPCs). I'm only in the beginning of the game, but I've played the original A LOT and when i compare them in terms of atmosphere, gameplay, graphics and sound - the new version is totally worth it! The game experience really IS enhanced.

THE BAD:
    One word - BUGS! When I downloaded the game, every time I clicked PLAY it crashed - an issue that obviously a lot of other people on the forum are having. After an hour or so of using the trial and error method I managed to get it to work - the problem was in my video card driver. And after that - only in the first 5 minutes of gameplay - the atmosphere of the otherwise amazing game was ruined because of 2 really annoying bugs (according to this thread I'm not the only one who's experiencing them - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8438/cursor-duplication-and-barbarian-hide-in-shadows-bugs#latest).

The game is amazing, but with so many technical problems and bugs I just can't give it a grade higher than 8. When a few patches come out, and eliminate the serious (and hopefully not so serious but annoying) bugs, I could give it a 9 or even 10.
  • SenserisSenseris Member Posts: 6
    There is no sence in raiting it right now. Have to play a little more and wait for the first patch. But anyway it is awsome. Classic can't be bad :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Mungri said:

After playing it for a while I cant rate it highly, there are too many annoying bugs and shortcomings:

2) No character editor like shadowkeeper, go go chronic restart disease :(

Using Shadowkeeper is cheating. I can argue about the other points you made but I don't want to look like a hater :). I simply love the game. That's it. :)
    Belegurth
  • BartimaeusBartimaeus Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    WRONG:
    1. Graphical anomalies. This constant flashing and flickering...I swear, I'm going to have a seizure. The only screen I can get to properly work consistently is the main game screen, thank goodness. And that's only after I force-enabled edge detect anti-aliasing via AMD's CCC or whatever they call it now. Have no idea why that helped, but it did. It's strange that there are more problems running this than I have running the original Baldur's Gate on today's hardware...
    2. Item names...and descriptions. Oh gosh, why? What happened? "Paws of the Cheetah"? No, they are not "Paws of the Cheetah", they are "Boots of Speed"! Who thought this was a good idea? Original functional names over descriptive/historical names, please! In addition to that, it is also my personal opinion that non-unique magic items, (e.g. Heart of the Golem +2 - which is just a Dagger +2; this is a poor example, though, because I actually DO think this item should have a unique name, even if it has no unique properties, due to the side quest it's involved in), should not have unique names. The item description organization system is still pretty bad...still, because in vanilla it was pretty bad, too. I pray for Item Revisions to come and liberate me.
    3. Walking speed / game speed. 30 FPS hard limit? Man, I couldn't stand walking speeds in Baldur's Gate 2 with 30FPS, much less BG1's walking speeds! If I could just somehow give every creature in the game a pair of Boots of Speed...I do like the fact that it's not trivially easy to outrun enemies anymore, though.
    4. Some of the new content sticks out...and not in a good way. Some of the new movies are good, some not so much. The new party members...
    5. Why do I have 45k gold? I only just completed Nashkel and have not even visited even one extraneous area. What happened? Nothing to spend it on, either, because I'm soloing...then again, I DO murder almost every single person who doesn't give a reputation loss and/or pickpocket them if they do.
    6. More obvious things, like miscellaneous bugs, the UI being weird, zoom not working correctly, etc. Maybe other things. Algernon's Cloak is still ridiculously rigged, (infinite charm usages per day!), but hey, whatever, not your guy's problem. Can't say I really like the addition of new items, (e.g. the Circlets), but it's not...too...big of a deal...I guess.

RIGHT:
    1. The new, (updated?), helmet sprites/paperdolls/icons. Oh my gosh, they are so nice looking! Seriously, whoever did this, you've made it nearly impossible to go back to playing the original game just by doing this. I am no longer embarrassed to wear helmets! Which kind of sucks, honestly, because I'm soloing with a thief/mage and can't wear them anyways...
    2. Quickloading in the middle of a dialogue? I say, wot! I'm assuming this is a new feature, because I don't ever remember this being allowed in BG2. Also, quicksaving/quickloading/loading in general. Very nice and smooth.
    3. Information display in inventory. It doesn't work correctly, but I'm assuming it will in the future, and I like it.
    4. Some new graphics, (i.e. fire/cold damage graphical effects). I'm not sure if I prefer them over the originals, (as in, BG2's), but they don't look bad at all and I guess that's good enough for me.
    5. Probably other things.

Overall, I'm not as impressed as I could be, but it didn't turn out to be the complete and utter disaster I thought it was going to be. There are things I didn't expect and liked...and things I didn't expect and really don't like. 7-8/10 for me.
    Post edited by Bartimaeus on
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Gave it an 8. The game runs without issues on my system and I'm loving every second of it (nostalgia attack). The new NPCs they added have great voices. Not a big fan of the cutscenes.
    edited November 2012
    Djimmy said:

Mungri said:

After playing it for a while I cant rate it highly, there are too many annoying bugs and shortcomings:

2) No character editor like shadowkeeper, go go chronic restart disease :(

Using Shadowkeeper is cheating. I can argue about the other points you made but I don't want to look like a hater :). I simply love the game. That's it. :)
    Dont tell me how to play my game thanks. Reloading is also cheating, as is rerolling stats but im sure you already do both. You can also freely use the CLUA console to cheat however you like, but the game doesnt let you edit characters.

However if I simply wanted to use shadowkeeper to redistribute my thief points, and give kits to NPCs, you call that cheating. You have little clue as to what the tool is actually used for.

Also I suppose that next you'll be telling me that wanting to use BG Tweaks to fix my character's paper doll to a mage is also cheating.
    swnmcmlxi
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Best game ever!!! That is all.....
  • KaksiKaksi Member Posts: 5
    Ok, not all the cutscenes are bad. Some of them are alright, others are not.

The small improvements are noticable in the single player game, and it's another (better) game experience than before BG:EE.

But the multiplayer-game has too many bugs to be played. You need to improve this..

The good part is that the same engine is going to be used for BG2:EE, so any improvement will likely tickle down to BG:EE as well. And the BG2:EE engine will therefore be better when it comes out.

Perhaps the multiplayer game will be improved when it is out of beta. I sincerely hope so.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    The problem is that BG:EE is out and people can't mod it, mods of the old half-work, if you need them anyway. We don't know when the new Weidu will be out, the new Shadowkeeper, since the current half-works, and when mods will be finally made for it.

Old BG had mods to make it richer for everyone, now this is almost impossible at this point, so we have to wait, but people are inevitably going to make a contrast with the old one and the ability to mod it and bend it to your will.

There are several bugs in the game, that were not present in the old one, exactly because you could mod it.

I didn't like the fact that i was forced to use 1pp work, which resulted in several characters in plate wearing chainmail instead, i think it's out of context, but even if it's just me, i disagree with forcing mods on everyone. They were mods for the reason that i could select if i want it or not.

I also don't like it when a game takes something away from me, something i had when i played BG1 right off the bat, and something i could mod BG2 with, and that is BG1 sprites, for the known reasons they were not used, but they were not even optional, it's like they went in the trashcan.

Since i can't play the game the way i want it, i think it would be wrong and unfair of me to give it a score.

I am biased right now and i will wait until some things are done, like being able to use the BG1 sprites again somehow, then i will play it and give the score i think it really deserves.

The features i liked so far are the zooming as an idea, but it looks more blurry than i thought, although i don't mind that.

I liked the female portraits but not the male ones.

The GUI/movies/soundsets/everything else are things i liked, and i won't speak of the new content in game yet, but i can say i like the Black Pits from what i've seen so far.

Still, all this is overshadowed by these horrible abominations that are called BG2 avatars, and i am afraid that the end will indeed come for this world in 21 December, if someone is not able to cast their curse away by then ^^

I will vote when i play, for now i see it as a 7, maybe will change when i see the content in full.

7 is a good mark by the way, i don't understand today's standards with game scores, everything is like 90%+, well, almost.

Anyway cheers.
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • freelapdancefreelapdance Member Posts: 14
    1 / 10. Unplayable because of the lack of standard settings.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    I originally gave it a 7 because i was filled with optimism. But the more i analyze the changes, the more i realize it was actually a pretty big involution from the original (modded) game. Right now i would downgrade it to a 5.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Kaksi said:

Ok, not all the cutscenes are bad. Some of them are alright, others are not.

The small improvements are noticable in the single player game, and it's another (better) game experience than before BG:EE.

But the multiplayer-game has too many bugs to be played. You need to improve this..

The good part is that the same engine is going to be used for BG2:EE, so any improvement will likely tickle down to BG:EE as well. And the BG2:EE engine will therefore be better when it comes out.

Perhaps the multiplayer game will be improved when it is out of beta. I sincerely hope so.

Why did you rate the game only 1?
    Your saying you think the game is better than the old BG, which by the way didn't have a working multiplayer option, at least not without getting a few gray hairs in the prosess.

On top of that, Beamdog have publicly on numerous occasions told us that the multiplayer implementation would have to wait until sometime after lunch, as they had some issues, and lack of time. They wanted to get the game out as promised to the vast majority who loves BG for its single player.

Even if we ignore all that, it makes no sense that you rate the entire game with the lowest score because of one feature delayed and a few bugs.
  • preemptiveapologypreemptiveapology Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    I figured the rating system for this is kind of like:
    1=They destroyed a classic! It's ruined I tell you! Would not buy again!
    5=They fixed some stuff, but broke other stuff, overall it's a toss up whether I would play this or the original version. Would probably not buy again, I dunno, maybe if they fix it in the patch.
    10=They took an already fantastic game and made it run perfectly on modern systems, they changed everything for the better, they should get a medal. Would buy for everyone I know!

I have no intention of playing the single player mode so perhaps my experience is scewed by the fact that I have only played multiplayer with my bf. Multiplayer is far too buggy at the moment for me to justify a higher rating. Of course, BG itself deserves a 10, but at the moment, sorry Overhaul, I am not feeling the 'enhanciness' of this edition.

My overall response to the game - it's not finished. Which is funny. Because it's been finished for a decade. So you understand my confusion and frustration having replayed BG and BG2 recently with mods to fix bugs and balance issues that this does not compare stability-wise to the free community options. If the bugs/UI problems are fixed I will be better able to judge what they have actually done to 'enhance' the game (new content, voice acting, what have you.)

I feel like the only things I can comment on that were clearly intentional decisions by the devs are these seemingly universally hated cutscenes, the new character portraits, higher res gameplay, and UI changes. So here we go!

CUT SCENES: I actually quite like the style of the cut scenes, or at least I think I do, because I have only seen two of them. That whole 'not being able to rest' thing really cramped our ability to get through content last night, and the second CTD called an early end to our BG:EE experience.

PORTRAITS: I kind of like the new portraits, but the style is so different from the existing ones that it feels like an oversight to me. Replace them all, or make ones that match. My opinion.

HIGHER RES: I like the higher res gameplay, but the zooming honestly is pointless to me, I doubt I will ever use it. It just makes everything all pixelly. Shmeh. I do enjoy how clean and smooth things look at max zoom, and the colors look very good. What's not to like really, it looked like a rainbow puked on my screen when playing the original vanilla, so, job well done.

UI CHANGES: Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Don't know if it's only multiplayer but the dialogue boxes are broken. Tool tips are mislabeled. The character sheet is not accurate... I could go on, but bugs aside, I just don't like the look of it. I was expecting streamlined, smaller, higher res UI texture with all the wasted space removed. I was hoping it would be scaled down to look sleeker and more modern so that we could see more of the new prettier gameplay area. I really wanted better spell and item icons that were clearer to see. Quite frankly it doesn't look like they made positive changes to it at all. This is the biggest issue for me next to bugs, this could have been really really awesome and it just isn't.

In conclusion, if I was going based on intentional changes alone, I would give EE a 6, maaaaybe 7, but the initial response for me is 'What did they actually change other than the resolution and the added BG2 features?' (Both of which were previously available for free via modding.) The artwork they've added, while very nice, does not integrate well in my opinion. I really wanted the UI overhaul and I just don't feel like they accomplished it in a way that is acceptable to me. I suspect I will feel differently if they are able to fix the bugs however - they put me in a bad mood and I likely wouldn't hate the UI changes to much if I hadn't spent several hours last night fuming over game breakers.

edit: @Bytebrain

"On top of that, Beamdog have publicly on numerous occasions told us that the multiplayer implementation would have to wait until sometime after lunch, as they had some issues, and lack of time. They wanted to get the game out as promised to the vast majority who loves BG for its single player."

I obviously didn't do enough research beforehand, although I thought I read through their announcements quite a bit..more than I would for a normal new game even... because I was not aware of their stance on multiplayer implementation - I guess I should be happy it runs at all? Even though I would never have bought it had I known that was the case? Oh well. Same as the rest of the issues, I'll just have to wait for the patch.