Skip to content

BG:EE Complaining and negative feedback thread.

Comments

• Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Aosaw said:

You can't set the resolution because the game automatically scales to your monitor's current resolution.

@Aosaw: No, it doesn't. It actually only puts grey panels to the sides: I and my wife have different monitors, but we see the same picture, except the grey panels around.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    What's your computer's resolution? The game can only scale so much, after all (it was advertised as being able to handle resolutions up to the retina display of the latest generation of iPad; if your screen's resolution is bigger than that, it might not scale properly).
    It is 1680x1050.

8. NPCs aren't 'maturing'. Once my Archer reached level 2, I recruited Misc (who should be level 2) and he was level 1. I kicked out all the other party members and tried again. Still level 1. I went up to Friendly Arm and Jaheira/Khalid were also level 1 (I hadn't touched them yet and they should be level 2).

I didn't knew about this. This is horrible too.
    BelgarathMTH
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    One more:

Gameplay
    - Imoen often approaches into melee range to shoot with a shortbow. This usually happens when she is engaging a target at range, and the target dies. The AI will make her switch to another target but she'll run right up to it. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to happen with Kivan and his longbow.
    Kharadorforktheworld
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215

One more:

Gameplay
    - Imoen often approaches into melee range to shoot with a shortbow. This usually happens when she is engaging a target at range, and the target dies. The AI will make her switch to another target but she'll run right up to it. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to happen with Kivan and his longbow.

I have the same problem with Imoen, Viconia, and Jaheira...
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2012
    why the new adventure the black pits is separate from original campaign? Would be possible to create a mod to insert it in the game?
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Kharador said:

One more:

Gameplay

I have the same problem with Imoen, Viconia, and Jaheira...
    Same issue with Xzar and his throwing daggers, NOT the best NPC to be engaging in close combat with a ranged weapon.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Let me just address the few issues you're having listed below...

Here are some more:
    Bugs
    - Something is going on with Jaheira's experience. Literally after the 3rd or so battle I got into, she levelled up to a 2/2 whereas everyone else in my party (including Charname) was still sitting at less than 1k experience

Jaheira is a higher level than every early obtainable NPC, she was probably close to levelling up when you picked her up

Gameplay
    - Why the heck does Dorn start with 8 HP max? If I'm not wrong, he should be getting 1d10 from Paladin/Blackguard kit, then an additional +2 for 14 Con, no?

Afraid no, you only get bonuses to constitution at 15 and 16 (and beyond that if you're a Fighter class), so at 15 you get +1 to hit points and at 16 you get +2. I think 8 is a reasonable amount, means he missed out on 2 out of a possible 10, The other day Branwen and Shar-Teel levelled up at the same time and netted a whopping 2 and 3 hit points between them out of a possible 10 and 9! Branwen then levelled up again and gained 3 hit points again, such bullshittery!

Audio
    - I'm pretty sure there is some gender bending going on. There are NPCs that are referred to as female, but have male voice sets. The one that sticks out to me is the shorty in the 1st floor of the Friendly Arms Inn who gives a quest

Is that Unshey? As in "ye cannae get better than the stability stone walls provide"? I can't remember names so well ... but she is female and believe it or not, the voice is female albeit a very ... gruff one.
    I'm playing on Normal, Dorn should definitely start with at least 10 HP and gain 10 more on the next level.
  • AndtalathAndtalath Member Posts: 23
    Level 1 gives full HP in BG in general.
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    Level up sound is lost!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

8. NPCs aren't 'maturing'. Once my Archer reached level 2, I recruited Misc (who should be level 2) and he was level 1. I kicked out all the other party members and tried again. Still level 1. I went up to Friendly Arm and Jaheira/Khalid were also level 1 (I hadn't touched them yet and they should be level 2).

That is intended and the way it has always been.

I do not like games that automatically level up NPC's (Dragon Age). I like having characters with flavor. Everyone being the same is boring.

• AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    ''That is intended and the way it has always been.''

No it isn't. It used to be like this only if you kicked out a party member and recruited him later, not if it was your first encounter with such party member. Most of the time anyway. Not that I really care personally.

Alright, as for ''What's wrong with EE?''

As far as I'm concerned... Pretty much everything to be honest.

I stopped posting on here when I realized this game wasn't going to be what I was hoping for and decided to buy it anyway just for old time's sake and because after all these years I'm still a BG addict. Honestly I'm going to finish this game to see what else is new but so far I'm not impressed. Instead of talking about what's wrong with EE I might as well be talking about what good is EE in relation to the original game. I'll start with what I appreciate about it (what I've noticed so far, I haven't gotten past chapter 3):

-Implementation of BG2 module: Very cool and right now it is the main reason why I'm going to keep playing EE. Although it comes at a certain price, that is some things actually looked better in BG1 such as the old club which actually looked like a club in BG1 and a bunch of other stuff which I can't remember at the moment, minor details anyhow.

-Gorion's new fight: Looks a lot better even though in my first game my level 1 sorcerer got shot with three acid arrows in a row by one of those two archer guy and was still standing, you should only get shot once. Oh and I've noticed that Tomako sometimes disappear before the end of the fight, again minor details.

-The new cut scenes are alright. Not an amelioration to me, just alright.

*Trying hard to think about something else*

Actually that's it... that's all I'm liking about EE so far. Every other implementations I find rather weak:

Such as:

-New NPC's: I'll say the same thing I said when I learned there was going to be new NPC's in the game: Completely unnecessary. BG1 was filled with great NPC's which should have been made more interesting with EE by adding new dialogues and deeper storylines. I understand the contractual obligations but I'm pretty sure there should have been a way around this seeing as how the old NPC's can interact with the new ones, this doesn't make any sense.

The original Baldur's Gate was crowded enough as it was now it's just ridiculous. There are just too many NPC's and not enough of them which I'm given a reason to care about. The prospect of dropping a NPC to me is never a fun one. I typically just drop NPC's as they die for role play reasons because I find it very awkward in a story to have to drop a character because there's more than 6. Not that I think the character limit should be changed because I don't. It's just that at least in the original game I actually had the time to have a few characters die before recruiting new ones. But with yet 3 other NPC's on my path I don't even have time to kill any of them off before I have a new uncomfortable decision to make. Seriously how many adventurers willing to join you can there be in a square mile in this world? SoA Had it right: Less NPC's but of higher quality is how you make a good story.

Not only that but these 3 new NPC's have actually taken center place in a very awkward way. They just don't fit with the rest of the game. Also Rasaad's introduction is simply terrible... 'I will show you justice!'... What the hell? Not only that but he's actually pretty damn annoying. 'What would you like to know?' Who speaks like that? I think people should reveal themselves to you a little more organically. Think Viconia in SoA. Rasaad just unloads all his shit on you after like eight hours? And your reply: 'Sounds like you had a tough childhood but that it turned alright for you eh buddy!' Again, what the hell. Weak writing.

As for Neera, a second 'witch' who's hunted down by Thai wizards? How about a little more imagination? This is the Dungeon's and Dragons universe where everything imaginable is possible and you gotta rehearse the same plot line for two characters? I can't say anything else about her seeing as I've just recruited her in my game.

As for Dorn he seems pretty cool so far though nothing to write home about. Gameplay wise he makes Minsc and Shar-Teel seem rather unnecessary. I would have specialized him in a different weapon but w/e.

- I played some of the Black Pits and I found it rather boring. I wish it was integrated in the original storyline instead as someone else mentioned. I'm not a big fan of customized parties, I find them pretty lame, I have trouble caring for a customized party really.

- No bridging: I'm gonna sound like a broken record here but to me that's what Baldur's gate Enhanced edition should have been about, bringing the two games together and improving the plot. I know I'm not the only one either, when I talked to friends about an enhanced edition they went, 'oh sweet, they're bringing the two games together?' And I would sadly answer them no. To me the idea of EE lost it's luster as soon as I knew this wouldn't be done.

- I won't go into the myriad of bugs I've detected while playing so far as most of them have already been mentioned and I'm pretty sure they'll be fixed shortly.

I'll add some more later maybe. There's other stuff that was on my mind which I can't recall at the moment.

I realize that speaking my mind in this era of hardcore fan-boyism entitles me to some severe flaming but oh well... so be it :)

FuzzyPuffinScofieldBrude
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    I really love this game, I always have but the amount of bugs is starting to annoy me. I understand that the game has only been released and as such it has some wounds here and there but we already have 8 pages filled with a tremendous amount of bugs on the BGEE bug reporting section.

When I see posts about such bugs as
    - missing sound reaching a new level
    - Boo doesn't squeak when you click on it
    - the backpack in the inventory lost its purpose and stays gray all the time
    - hint on the help button says "rest"
    - no broken weapon notification
    etc.

I can't help but become less and less excited about this wonderful game. Don't get me wrong, I support it, and will do so in the future as well, it's just disheartening to see so many amateur bugs that shouldn't have made it thru the beta testing phase in the first place.

Having issues with the redesigned GUI and with the new content is all right and even expected to tell the truth. But what's with these tiny glitches I mentioned above? If there were only a couple of these issues, well I wouldn't be glad because that is what beta testing is for, but okay what the heck, I wouldn't have mentioned it. But having dozens of these annoying glitches + the problems with the new content makes me wondering about the effectiveness of the testing and especially the release delay big time.

But enough complaining, I just kinda hoped for a bit more both in quality and content (deepness) wise to put it simple. I know the dev team is working hard on delivering a solution to the majority of issues I have mentioned here, so no hard feelings guys, even at this stage I WOULD BUY THE GAME AGAIN!

Finally, in my opinion the work on BG2EE shouldn't start for quite some time, because BGEE needs a lot more love. It just wouldn't be fair to leave this amazing game at its current state.
    BelgarathMTHBrude
  • PortwillsPortwills Member Posts: 10
    hmmmm heres my opinion: i always loved baldur's gate games, and this enhanced edition is simply great. to be honest, i haven't noticed any of those bugs mentionned above (not saying they don't exist though). great game, i wish people would praise and appreciate the hard work of others a bit more around here.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    I'll add a bug.

(Gray wolf does not say his line.)

Missing intro lines for Sarevok in the intro video. No Nietzsche quote.

No AI updates

GUI still needs some work done to it. Blurry, does not scale well. Should be crisp and sharp.

Missing cut scenes.

By the way this was a good idea. Hopefully the forum stays more organized from now on.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    I nominate this thread to be the main one for posting constructive criticism. Possibly even stickied.

I have a minor gripe: The outline of the active weapon and artillery selection in the inventory screen is too hard to see. I finally figured out that the greyed out one is the active one. Huh? This is intentional?

There should be a gold ouline around both your active weapon and your active artillery boxes.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

I nominate this thread to be the main one for posting constructive criticism. Possibly even stickied.

Pfft. Constructive criticism?
    This thread was originally intended for destructive criticism, negative feedback, angry rants, and spiteful remarks.
    Then people went and ruined it by being all civilised and polite.
    Brudemch202BelgarathMTH
    @ajwz, ROFLMAO.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    Some of you bastards are encouraging it too, by helpfully answering queries and providing tech support.
    BelgarathMTH
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    Snow is rendered blue
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Scofield
    To be fair, a lot threads on these 8 pages you mention, is about the same handful of bugs.
    Not trying to minimize the issue, but still...

@AzL0n
    The vast majority of people have requested more NPC's in the game, a few dont, like you, dont thnk the game needs them, so you just can't please everyone.

The quality of the NPC's story, background, implementation etc. is a matter of personal preference and opinion, and it differs all over the forums.
    Again, it's just how it is, they can't please everyone.

You haven't mentioned what you thought of the general look of the game, interface and general features?
    How does it compare with vanilla BG in your opinion?
    Mods will come to this edition, so there's no point comparing it to BgT or Tutu yet, IMO.
    In the end, I'm confident that there'll be a BGT:EE, either via mods or implemented by Beamdog.
    @Bytebrain, we need a thread for not only bug reporting, but for constructively criticizing intended game features that we don't like. Also, for asking for clarification about whether it's really a bug, or just bad game design.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

@Bytebrain, we need a thread for not only bug reporting, but for constructively criticizing intended game features that we don't like. Also, for asking for clarification about whether it's really a bug, or just bad game design.

Oh, I so much agree with you, I can't tell you!
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Bytebrain

''You haven't mentioned what you thought of the general look of the game, interface and general features?
    How does it compare with vanilla BG in your opinion? ''

The new resolution is great. the new inventory interface is good.

''Mods will come to this edition, so there's no point comparing it to BgT or Tutu yet, IMO.
    In the end, I'm confident that there'll be a BGT:EE, either via mods or implemented by Beamdog.''

I was actually hoping for something a bit sharper than BGT. I guess we'll just wait and see but honestly I don't expect for them to do much in this regard and it is what I care the most about personally.
    - I think that the chat box, when speaking to someone is too big, it jumps up a lot.
    - I think the Inventory GUI has too much unused space (there is even a small window in the middle, what is useless. Why not putting there extra information about items or whatever?)
    - In the same time the numbers for stacked items are too small, hard to read.
    - THAC0 boxes are useless, they don't show the right numbers.
    - Can't scroll Journal with the Mouse wheel.
    - There is no difference at all in resolution between a small 17' monitor and my 1680x1050 monitor. Just grey panels appearing at the sides. (? lol, this is a really lazy work I think)
    - If you sleep in an Inn (Single Player, you can't sleep in an Inn in Multiplayer at all!) there is no sound or movie or a text feedback or whatever, that could show you that you had your sleep or not. There was a sound or a movie in the vanilla version.
    - The sound for leveling up is missing.
    - The chanters in Candlekeep are not chanting.
    - Many minor sound are missing, I will gather them as a play then post a bug report at the end, if there is non already.
    - The new Intro movie was a crap, Nietsche's phrase is missing, important phrase is missing (There are others...).
    - The new movie was terrible lagging for my wife, and had no sound just industrial-like noises.
    - Characters are not doing what you order to them, only after the second order or after few seconds. They move close to enemies too, even if they have ranged weapons equipped.
    (Sorry for my English, I live in Hungary.)
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @Sese79 I think most of these issues will be fixed in upcoming patches. The incorrect THACO value as shown in the inventory plus the mouse wheel scrolling in the journal are already fixed in today's patch.

Unfortunately I don't think that any of the movies will be re-done or fixed in the future though, I would love to see them fixed.
    Yes, I too. But they could just uploading them too in the Movies tab in the Menus, and unlocking them as they unlock the newer ones. And until they create the missing movies the could just show the older ones, so you could sleep in Inns and in the Mine, etc.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Is the passive wizard script casting spells fixed in the latest patch?
    edited December 2012
    Sese79 said:

- If you sleep in an Inn (Single Player, you can't sleep in an Inn in Multiplayer at all!) there is no sound or movie or a text feedback or whatever, that could show you that you had your sleep or not. There was a sound or a movie in the vanilla version.
    - The sound for leveling up is missing.
    - The chanters in Candlekeep are not chanting.

Just wanted to comment on these three. When you sleep at an inn, text appears in a window in the top right. Though I agree you should see the movie, because the first time I stayed at an inn I clicked the Rent button 2 to 3 times before realising what happened. The sound for levelling up is there, but it's very very feint. Also, the + icon can be hard to see, especially on Neera's portrait. The chanters do chant, it just takes them a while.

More bugs:

Gameplay
    - Neera's sidequest and romance are completely FUBAR. I completed her first mission at *SPOILERS* Adoy's Enclave */SPOILERS* but the dialogue with Adoy was messed up, received an unidentified belt with no properties and the journal entry didn't change. Her romance repeats forever at 'Sometimes I wonder..'
    - Take Neera into BG and meet the dwarf, it sets her in an infinite loop initiating dialogue, same as above
    - Screen shifts around when you're looting, it can be quite annoying
    - Game can freeze or slow to a crawl with certain spell effects especially aoe like web and grease