Skip to content

XPCap Remover

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited November 2012 in General Modding
For those who do not want to install a mod just to remove the XP Cap, here is the link for the necessary files already edited.

Place them in your BG EE data/0766/override folder.

http://dc353.4shared.com/download/ELKeZtFp/override.zip
Awong124Troodon80colonel_burgerMortiannaBurfiak

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Also, if you should want the high level abilities for the higher XP, you can just copy them over from ToB.

I've only tried the mage abilities and the fighter abilities, though.

The energy blades works up to a point for the mage; speeds up movement, changes the weapon, etc. Extra spell slots don't seem to work for the mage but, as best I can tell, things like power attack and whirlwind will work for the fighter. There are probably others that do or don't work, but I can confirm that you should, at the very least, be able to copy over the abilities from ToB.

There are, of course, only a few strings for these abilities.

Might test more later.
  • whisper2053whisper2053 Member Posts: 12
    So...the next obvious question would have to be, which files are the necessary ones to carry over, and where are they located?
    edited December 2012
    @whisper2053, well, obviously anything to do with effects, visuals (including animations/SFX and icons), and sound, if applicable in any particular case. Using DLTCEP and searching BG2:ToB spells, you can find most of the abilities on the higher end of the SPCL files. For example, SPCL900 is the Whirlwind Attack. All I did in this case was save the spell to the override folder in the BG:EE installation directory. Not all of them work, and not all of them display properly.

Example of how the mages abilities display:

I did, however, get the spell slot abilities working. Some of the slots are missing, some don't work (or don't have any visible affect on the game), and some don't have the correct icon.

And summoning a planetar:

xxxsmb1987xxx
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    Hmmmm it's been years since I last looked at those scripts, but if I remember correctly, the spell slots shoot a script to change the .chr data inside the game... You're probably missing one of the scripts...
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    my dear friend who has the HLA figured out, would it be too much to ask to load the necessary files up somewhere? im not really good at modding, and i want that stuff. badly
    edited December 2012
    @Lanatir, it's not exactly figured out. At least not yet. I haven't tested the possible side effects of doing this, so until I have something a little more concrete I would advise against it. I will upload what I have, though, so you can experiment (also caps the levels at between 23-32, depending on class).

You can find the files here. Just extract the override folder to your game's directory.

(That being .\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\ and not just .\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\)

@mlnevese, it is possible, yes. I'm still working on it - but unfortunately I can't spare much time on it.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    @Troodon80 lol a plantetar a bit over kill dontcha think =p
    @xxxsmb1987xxx, for BG1, absolutely. Dragon Breath, equally so :D.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    lol I love it though great job to the modders =)
    @Troodon80 I'll take a look at it as soon as I manage to get some free time in front of my computer. This being the weekend and my wife wanting to be anywhere but home, it'll be some time next week:)
  • PeterPeter Member Posts: 44
    Troodon80 said:

@Lanatir, it's not exactly figured out. At least not yet. I haven't tested the possible side effects of doing this, so until I have something a little more concrete I would advise against it. I will upload what I have, though, so you can experiment (also caps the levels at between 23-32, depending on class).

You can find the files here. Just extract the override folder to your game's directory.

(That being .\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\ and not just .\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\)

@mlnevese, it is possible, yes. I'm still working on it - but unfortunately I can't spare much time on it.

I've tested this. HLAs'r working but all of em with "missing string" error, and no descriptions.
    edited December 2012
    @mlnevese, that would be great. I can't remember the last time I looked through the scripts, years at the very least. I thought they might have been in the tables, and sure enough there is some mention. For example, CLABPA06.2da is the ability listing for the Blackguard. Altering this file doesn't do anything, though.

@Peter, that's because the string references don't exist right now; they only exist in ToB, so I'll have to copy them over. This also means that any time you get an update, the string references in the dialog.tlk vanish (I assume, which is also why being able to have a separate string file for each mod (or item, spell, etc.) would come in handy, but probably not very likely to happen). I've only spent about an hour on this in total, but if mlnevese, or anyone else, can give me a hand finding out more information on how to get them working a little better, then I'll copy over the strings and edit the files to correspond with the new references :).
    edited December 2012
    @Troodon80 The missing strings can be a problem. The only safe way to change the tlk is Weidu and I never stopped to learn how to do a Weidu script.
    @mlnevese, what do you mean that WeiDU is the only safe way? I've been using DLTCEP so far, I never did learn how to use WeiDU, but it looks easy enough. Also, (from a testing point of view) what do you mean by the missing strings being a problem - that wouldn't have any bearing on the icons showing up, right?
    edited December 2012
    @Trodoon80 If we want the description strings to show up, we have to add them to the tlk file. Custom tlks were a big problem before Weidu made it safe for multiple mods to add or remove strings from the tlk without destroying each other.
    @mlnevese, ah, I see. Well, if it doesn't have any bearing on the abilities being displayed, I'll worry about the strings later. Main thing is to get all the abilities into the grid first :).
    mlnevese
  • KojaKoja Member Posts: 1
    So then, with the files you've already posted how high will the level cap and abilities/spell functions/exp tables run correctly? If I'm reading correctly it's somewhere between 23 and 36, but I want to make sure I'm right before I go ahead with this.
    edited December 2012
    Koja said:

So then, with the files you've already posted how high will the level cap and abilities/spell functions/exp tables run correctly? If I'm reading correctly it's somewhere between 23 and 36, but I want to make sure I'm right before I go ahead with this.

It should be 23 to 32, depending on class.

It goes up to 5,000,000, so the level caps should be as follows:

Mage: 23
    Sorcerer: 23
    Paladin: 24
    Ranger: 24
    Druid: 25
    Fighter: 28
    Cleric: 30
    Monk: 30
    Bard: 32
    Thief: 32

Edit: Seems that the hardcoded level of 50 is still in affect. Don't suppose Beamdog would consider 100 in future update?
    paladin235
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    If You get this working good guys i will name my firstborn after you. And i will officially put you in my book of cool people.
  • slayer420slayer420 Member Posts: 4
    Not quite sure how this works, in my installation the directory specified for this doesn't exist, there is no override or .2da files. I tried putting them in but it didn't work, not sure why they aren't there...
    @slayer420, if the override folder is not there with the others (data, lang, Manuals, movies, etc.,) then you just need to copy the entire override folder within the archive, rather than just the .2da and .spl files.
    Troodon80 said:

@slayer420, if the override folder is not there with the others (data, lang, Manuals, movies, etc.,) then you just need to copy the entire override folder within the archive, rather than just the .2da and .spl files.

You mean extract the override folder into the game directory not the data folder?

edited December 2012
    @slayer420, exactly as I said above:

.\[BG Directory]\Data\00766\

Assuming you're using the installer.

'BG Directory' being where the downloader/installer is located, and '00766' being where your game is located.

Example of your game folder (don't worry if it doesn't look exactly like your own):

If the override folder isn't already in this folder (and it most likely is not), then you will need to copy the override folder from the archive into the game directory.

If you're using the Beamdog client, it will likely be different; for example:

.\BeamDog\Games\007766\
  • mtyler11mtyler11 Member Posts: 20
    @Troodon80 BG2:TOB came with a lvl40 cap and an enterprising programmer found AD&D pnp rules that can take a character up to lvl50. to create tables that would expand beyond that would no longer be canon. While D&D is all about creativity you also need playbalancing. ANd I can tell you that level 50 is plenty even in TOB. At that point, you can nearly wipe the floor with DemoGorgon. Besides, how would you progress a character past lvl50? what abilities would they gain?
    edited December 2012
    @mtyler11, not that I disagree, but I don't see why the levels can't be purely based on the tables. The normal game will be anything up to level 40 (for ToB, not BG:EE). But if you want to mod the game to allow an increased number of levels and feel like putting in the effort of expanding on the tables, why can't something beyond level 50 be accessible?

Logically, I agree with you, level 50 is too much in most cases. But I also like having the option of going further, for mod-ability sake more than anything. The XP cap itself apparently isn't hardcoded to stop at level 50, so why the level itself? I am sure the reason is to put a logical limit, for example, there needs to be a way to stop in case the next level is not accounted for in the tables (even that isn't actually correct, since if the next level in the list isn't account for, the XP simply go to -1 so you can't advance any more after that point).

An upper limit of 100 (anything <= 255, if you want uint8 max, not entirely sure what type of int they used for the level in this case) but where the tables only go up to level 40, would ensure that only people who want to go further can. Otherwise, it's just going to be the canon level limit for everyone else.

Silly reasoning, I'm sure. Even level 50 isn't necessary, but having the option is always nice :).
    edited December 2012
    Troodon80 said:

@slayer420, exactly as I said above:

.\[BG Directory]\Data\00766\

Assuming you're using the installer.

'BG Directory' being where the downloader/installer is located, and '00766' being where your game is located.

Example of your game folder (don't worry if it doesn't look exactly like your own):

If the override folder isn't already in this folder (and it most likely is not), then you will need to copy the override folder from the archive into the game directory.

Yeah that did it thanks sir.

• FubblesFubbles Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Isn't working. My characters are still capped at 161000. Is there some sort of preliminary editing I might need to do besides just putting these files in the override?
    edited December 2012
    @Fubbles, no, just copy and paste the override folder to your BGEE directory, as shown above. If you already have an override folder, then copy the contents of the override folder within the archive, and overwrite any files when it asks. Just make sure that the files are in the right place, and that the recent patch didn't remove them (it shouldn't, but I can't vouch for that).

Also, working on some more in-between work. For those mages of evil intent, your Dark Planetar spell now works.

Comet had to be modified since the spell icon pointed to the wrong one (DLTECP said it was pointing to the Tracking ability icon, so it used a default icon), nor did it appear in the spell book.

The updated archive can be found here, the additions are the BAM files for the icons and the two fixed spells.

I will try and get more done as soon as I can, probably over the weekend. Still no strings, I will get around to that when I can (but I won't be doing translations, so someone else can do that :)). If there are abilities not working as they should (not appearing/no icon, etc., excluding the missing strings), please post and let me know.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Thanks a lot for this, very useful.
  • paladin235paladin235 Member Posts: 13
    Troodon80 said:

Seems that the hardcoded level of 50 is still in affect. Don't suppose Beamdog would consider 100 in future update?

LOL! Level 100! Totally overkill IMO, but I could imagine a bit of a cool factor in having 999 HP!

"I could take down a group of 4 red dragons easier than you could 4 Kobolds! Are you sure you still want to mess with me?"

It would be worth it just to be able to say that to Severok!