Skip to content

Tazok's Tent - The woes of a first timer.

So this is my first time really getting my hands into Baldur's gate or really ANYTHING d&d related, so I've sort of been flying by the seat of my pants in this game. So here I am in Tazok's tent with what I'm sure is a vastly under-leveled bunch (highest is 3) and I'm just getting annihilated for like an hour. I'm doing everything I can; I'm switchin up spells, switching who I kill first, etc and FINALLY I get it. Finally, after an hour of hardship, I kill that friggin mage and his buddies (including one hobgoblin who seems to NEED to target Imoen, lest he spontaneously combust). I then decide to open the treasure chest in the tent to claim my reward.

My reward is a lightning bolt through my main character. I didn't save. I'm so sad.

Comments

• SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    lol I've had plenty of this on my first run through BG as well, albeit the original version. It's a hard game for the newcomer. You are doing good making it this far :P
  • KhrondorKhrondor Member Posts: 54
    Take out the mage first and the archer in the back next. Also dont be afraid to get a few more levels by doing some of the maps south of Friendly Arms Inn
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Cooper

Yes I remember my first time at Tazok's tent, I was feeling pretty good about my self and then I died so many times there. If you need to level and you don't consider it cheating, farm ankheads north of the Friendly Arm Inn. If you want a more normal experience then you'll have to do other quests. There should be some good ones around for you level. Have fun
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2012
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ If you don't mind some minor spoilers, you can always check this place out, it has some trap markers on its maps.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 18
    I'VE DONE IT! AGAIN!!! Lol yeah, I'm DEFINITELY going to go farm a bit, that was insane.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Just always save, that's rule #1 - 10 in these kinda rpgs. Especially this game will teach u hard lessons if u don't. ;)
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    @Cooper

SO MUCH WIN!

You just made me chuckle like I haven't in a while.

Something about your post makes me feel... goood. In a good way. I just... Yes...
    Lol thank you all for the emotional support ~_^
  • TeahlTeahl Member Posts: 26
    More than one person has made fun of me for how often I save any RPG I'm playing. And that is exactly the reason.

If I go more than about 60 seconds without saving, sure enough something bad happens. ;) Congratulations on finishing a second time!
  • EndlesswaveEndlesswave Member Posts: 28
    That's happened to me as well but there's a saying save early save often. Or something like that. So true. I got nostalgic reading this too. Happy gaming. :)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    And that's why BG is so freaking epic!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Congrats!
    Ouch! That sucks...
    Congrats!

hehehe~
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I love the Q key, I press it all the time :)

The fights in this game are amazing, almost every main encounter is like a near impossibly hard boss fight.

Currently in my solo game, I finished nashkel mines and killed nimbul. Yet in the area outside the mines I failed hard against the mustard jellies, and the iron thrones assassin group was hard as well. I managed to kill everything except the mustard jellies, my +1 quarterstaff barely touched them, and they killed my oils of speed with their slow and poison attacks. So I just killed the mage and ran away from the jellies :(
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Especially with how instant Q saving is now... I'm in love. <3
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    Sleep and Command, both level one spells, arcane and divine respectivly. These are your bread and butter spells before anyone reaches level five. They will knock those four guys out and make them so much easier to kill.

A wand of fear is good. There are a few hidden in generally harder to crack chests about Beregost, Nashkel etc.

Having everyone have a missle weapon is good as well, you can get a volley off into one character, hope some hit, then have the others switch to melee weapons. If they've transported the BG2 engine stuff it means enemies get +4 to hit when fighting someone with a ranged weapon in their hands.

Also strength the spell or in potion form makes fights a lot easier as well, your guys hit more and harder.
    edited December 2012
    Lol Necroscope, I never thought I'd ever be using spells like Sleep or Command until this fight, but since then I've been having Neera knock out entire rooms of enemies with one sleep. I'm absolutely in love with the spell <3

:O THIS GAME HAS QUICK SAVING?? That'll make everything so much easier! No more will I have the constant fear of accidentally clicking "Load Game" and losing all of my hard work!
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I once won that encounter with Fireball ... and then found I'd killed a friendly and important NPC by doing so. *facepalm*
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Andraste

Lol my first time yrs ago I played a mage. I did the same exact thing, I was so happy I won, then I realized the NPC and I did a facepalm to lol.
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    This was the one of the most difficult battles in vanilla BG and it turned very easy in EE. My PC acquired two horror spells as special abilities and Neera had another one, so i got every foe in the room panicked and then it was easy to kill them. Strange but i think horror spell has a higher chance of affecting enemies than in vanilla BG
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    srvk said:

This was the one of the most difficult battles in vanilla BG and it turned very easy in EE. My PC acquired two horror spells as special abilities and Neera had another one, so i got every foe in the room panicked and then it was easy to kill them. Strange but i think horror spell has a higher chance of affecting enemies than in vanilla BG

No horror spell was overpowered even in vanilla BG, together with sleep and Algernon's cloak
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    @Cooper
    Get some levels and gear first, or Cloakwood will be a nightmare
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Great story. Hahaha seriously, we all had those experiences ... part of the learning curve I'm afraid. xD
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    @KryptBeowulf is right. After you've done something, Q. Before you do something, Q.
    Q, Q, Q, Q, Q! :D
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    At least you have access to good advice your first time through! Back when I first played BG the internet was 28.8K and no forums existed ;)

As stated by others above use the level 1 cleric spell command and the level 1 mage spell sleep... A LOT. It will knock those scum down hard, allowing you to wail all over them.

If you tell us what party members you are using, as well as CHARNAME's class, we can give you tailored advice to increase your combat effectiveness.

PS nice bloody work in actually taking down the bandit camp at level 3, that's impressive, particularly for a first-timer!
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Horror, Sleep and Hold are your friends... :)
  • KeadinKeadin Member Posts: 7
    After failing a dozen times I adopted a new strategy. I went in, did the dialogue, waited for the enemy mage to start casting his first offensive spell (I think it was panic or something), and before he'd be done casting I would quickly leave the building again. Everyone followed me outside of course, but the mage's spell was wasted, so I could focus on the rest of the fight. I'm not sure if I'd consider it cheating, if I'm honest :P
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    If you're REALLY struggling, the best solution could be to enter / exit the tent.
    Only one or two people will follow you and then it'll be easy picking.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Cooper said:

So this is my first time really getting my hands into Baldur's gate or really ANYTHING d&d related, so I've sort of been flying by the seat of my pants in this game. So here I am in Tazok's tent with what I'm sure is a vastly under-leveled bunch (highest is 3) and I'm just getting annihilated for like an hour. I'm doing everything I can; I'm switchin up spells, switching who I kill first, etc and FINALLY I get it. Finally, after an hour of hardship, I kill that friggin mage and his buddies (including one hobgoblin who seems to NEED to target Imoen, lest he spontaneously combust). I then decide to open the treasure chest in the tent to claim my reward.

My reward is a lightning bolt through my main character. I didn't save. I'm so sad.

Dude........ Its weird... But EXACTLY the same thing happened to me 12 years ago. Im not even joking.. I was so pissed off words cant describe :/..
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351

Sleep and Command, both level one spells, arcane and divine respectivly. These are your bread and butter spells before anyone reaches level five. They will knock those four guys out and make them so much easier to kill.

A wand of fear is good. There are a few hidden in generally harder to crack chests about Beregost, Nashkel etc.

Having everyone have a missle weapon is good as well, you can get a volley off into one character, hope some hit, then have the others switch to melee weapons. If they've transported the BG2 engine stuff it means enemies get +4 to hit when fighting someone with a ranged weapon in their hands.

Also strength the spell or in potion form makes fights a lot easier as well, your guys hit more and harder.

@Necroscope Are you THE necroscope?? Who did the LPs of Bg2 (and many other games) on youtube?

• chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Renulan said:

@Cooper

SO MUCH WIN!

You just made me chuckle like I haven't in a while.

Something about your post makes me feel... goood. In a good way. I just... Yes...

I was trying to figure out how to respond to the op to properly express my feelings towards his post. This did it.