Skip to content

Sexuality in the Realms Answer from Ed Greenwood

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I haven't played Dragon Age =(

I was fawning over Mass Effect too much to try it out.

Meh, its an alright game.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited December 2012
    @toshiro It's certainly not the same as our world's version of Paladinhood or being a monk. Since our world tends to be monotheistic (especially the culture that gave rise to Paladins and the idea of such). In other worlds, you have Paladins who are united in alignment, but not in ideas about their God and what their God demands of them. We also have an example of Lawful Good characters essentially acting like religious crusaders did in our own world, with the whole Maztica Temple of Helm in Ulatos scenario, where Paladins were acting like Tools simply because the Mazticans didn't share their faith nor their magic, Maztica has hishna-magic and Pluma-Magic (Pluma Magic being based on woven feathers, and Hishna is the magic of "Talon, Claw and Fang"- both are considered to be a form of Priestly magic, as both were given by the Gods, Hishna by Zaltec and Pluma by Qotal. Hishna is dark magic and Pluma is light magic.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    No what I meant was that paladins do not fit in our understanding of how they would act in relation to what we think a paladin is, and in relation their dealings with the opposite or for that matter the same sex when it came to sex, or in my characters case how he dealt with viconia, since I liked her character and only went for her, though I always thought making her NE was a joke since most of her comments tended to lean more in the good direction, she was more chaotic neutral, and in the various games as well as the novels they tended to run the gamut how to tolerant they were, though I tended to stay away from playing them since as a class they were pretty bad that stats were not that good.
    @toshiro A Paladin is a martial servant of his or her God. In some cases, I don't think the God in question would care about who the Paladin loved, so long as he did it in a manner that was pleasing to his/her God. Ed Greenwood has already confirmed that the Realms doesn't have the same kind of horror that our world does about same sex relations, especially in the more populous areas. And the novels might be the understanding of the authors. Although no alignment is immune to acting like a jerk occasionally.
    I suspect that bioware was concerned that there would a backlash, from parents if they put same sex relationships in the games, though they seemed to gotten a back bone in the case of the dragon age series since leliana swings both ways and both merril and isabela are the same way, though there is no equivelent class to paladins there, except in attitude templars are mostly devoted in their hatered of mages as paladins are in theirs to demons
    Though I suspect in the case of Sune, make love not war and a lot of it,
    is her motto
    @toshiro Baldur's Gate 2 was one of the first games with a romance. And yes, back when it came out, the attitude towards such things would have put it in the AO category (Adults Only, even worse than M, Mature. Retailers cannot sell AO games- or choose not to, because parents would likely come down on them with lead boots for doing so). Most AO games are sex-related anyhow (they get the rating for blatant nudity or "strong sexual content". The only other AO game got that rating for real gambling.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/6_video_games_that_were_actually_released_with_an.php
    @Toshiro Llira "Goddess of Joy" with "Party Priests/Priestesses"...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    @LadyRhian Fallout 2 didn't get an AO, and it had much more sexual content including same-sex encounters and even marriage. So why would BG2, which came out two years later?
    @Jalily You're right. I was wrong. I wasn't aware of Fallout at the time. I am in the Macintosh Ghetto... I never got to play that series. It didn't come out on Mac for another 4 years, and I didn't know about the series to even try it or pick it up.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @LadyRhian
    thnx for the Greenwood schtuff
    @rexreg You're welcome. :)
  • FyreFyre Member Posts: 28
    To the haters of this thread, I have found a lot of major flaws with your misguided disdain. For one, by hating on LadyRhiana, you've been hating on Ed Greenwood, the creator of this fictional realm, AND his opinion. With out his opinion, no baldurs gate, without baldurs gate (this may or may not apply to you, this is my opinion) bioware would not of been a success, without bioware, no epic beamdog projects, and without it, no forums, so, if you hate the OP or the Opening Post, you are hating your own existence.

Now, as for the response from Ed, I am thrilled that his responce is almost identical to my (which I wrote) sourcebook on my own fantasy realm. The monks sexuality is always a interesting subject, in my opinion. I shiver to consider one of the green robed tutorial monks entering a brothel. Why? Reciting the prophecies of Alaundo, is NOT a suggested pick up line!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    'if you hate the OP, or the Opening Post, then you are hating your own existence'.

Errr, okay then. O_o
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I lol'ed, but agreed to an extent :P
    edited December 2012
    If you believe that someone is trolling you or making inflammatory remarks, please contact a moderator such as myself and we will deal with it. Inflammatory remarks made in response to flames or trolling are no more in line than the instigator.
    ~Aosaw

Post edited by Dee on
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    No prayers in the forum please!!!
    @Moomintroll

I am not sure if my sarcasm was lost, or if you are playing along...........
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Let's leave old drama in the past please? Thanks...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    I deleted your double-post (in case it generated a notification for you).

And yes, please try to be civil. It would be a shame to have to lock yet another thread on this subject.
    @Aosaw

In case, by chance, that was directed at me, I was only fulfilling my role as the Forums relatively new comer, and satirist.

That is, besides, from, typically, agreeing with, and discussing the subject at hand.

Though, I doubt that was directed at me. Just saying. ^_^
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited for inappropriate, rather off-topic content. Carry on.
    ~Aosaw
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited December 2012

Unless they're to [Insert desired Realmsian god] for strength, as in give me! ;)

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012

Unless they're to [Insert desired Realmsian god] for strength, as in give me! ;)

Tempus grant us victory! (not sure against what...just more victory?)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    elminster said:

Tempus grant us victory! (not sure against what...just more victory?)
    Why need anything other than thy gods name? ...the Wulfgar way.

TEMPUS!!!
    Actually, if my realms-lore is correct......this is Wulfgar style.....

*Clears throat*

MAY TEMPOS GRANT OUT VICTORY IN DEATH! AIM FOR THE EYES BO----

Well........maybe not the last part...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

'if you hate the OP, or the Opening Post, then you are hating your own existence'.

Errr, okay then. O_o

Aosaw said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    I deleted your double-post (in case it generated a notification for you).

And yes, please try to be civil. It would be a shame to have to lock yet another thread on this subject.

If you are directing this to me, I was just reacting to @Fyre's initial post...I thought the passage which I quoted from his comment was a bit harsh, that's all.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I was directing it to the general assembly as a gentle caution. Nobody's in trouble, don't worry. ;)

(Admittedly, I probably should have included an "everyone" in there...)
    Sexuality Threads- Contentious Threads R US. Or should that be R We? Decisions, decisions...